Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Speaking of mis-evaluated Planeswalkers, I remember when the Oath leak happened and everyone was like "WTF is that poo poo" on both Nissa and Chandra, and Chandra is a $25 dollar card and Nissa was a maindeck 4-of in the PT winning deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I was pretty high on Chandra, especially after Chapin released his podcast where he was really high on it and went into depth on how she plays out, which as it turns out was completely correct.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wildfire1 posted:

You can't 'redirect the damage', KC is already targeting the Spellskite so an activation shouldn't have done anything.

This is only true if it makes the targeting illegal, e.g. Electrolyze targetting Spellskite and a Noble Hierarch (Electrolyze cannot target Spellskite for 1 damage and Spellskite for 1 damage).

Kolaghan's Command can legally target Spellskite with two separate modes because it has the word target twice and doesn't specify they have to be different.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
If a spell has multiple targets, Spellskite can change each individual use of the word 'target' to itself, even if it's already being targeted by other uses of the word 'target' on the spell.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

odiv posted:

This Enter the Battlefield premier seems like really bad timing.

https://www.twitch.tv/magic

3 pm Est when everyone is at work seems like the perfect time to premier to me

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
before anyone says anything, i'm at work just on a break!!!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A bunch of people starting spamming #paythepros

And the chat immediately goes into r9k mode.

loving hilarious.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mandatory lesbian posted:

before anyone says anything, i'm at work just on a break!!!

I have a lot of work to do today but I am injured so instead I get to sit around and drink free soda and be stoned on painkillers and post :c00l:

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Angry Grimace posted:

This is only true if it makes the targeting illegal, e.g. Electrolyze targetting Spellskite and a Noble Hierarch (Electrolyze cannot target Spellskite for 1 damage and Spellskite for 1 damage).

Kolaghan's Command can legally target Spellskite with two separate modes because it has the word target twice and doesn't specify they have to be different.

Huh. TIL

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Speaking of mis-evaluated Planeswalkers, I remember when the Oath leak happened and everyone was like "WTF is that poo poo" on both Nissa and Chandra, and Chandra is a $25 dollar card and Nissa was a maindeck 4-of in the PT winning deck.

Chandra is super powerful but she's also a little overrated and overplayed I feel like. She's not Elspeth.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

I have a lot of work to do today but I am injured so instead I get to sit around and drink free soda and be stoned on painkillers and post :c00l:

i am at work while injured b/c i did not end up with anything broken or a head injury

i am not looking forward to around 3-4pm when, judging by this weekend, my legs decide that they are largely done with working for the day

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

3 pm Est when everyone is at work seems like the perfect time to premier to me
I more meant because of the appearance fee hubbub it feels like a weird time for this to air.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I was pretty high on both :colbert:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The problem is that the pro players are overvaluing their own worth to both WOTC and the community. I just don't really care if Owen Turtenwald can't afford to fly to every single tournament and its clear WOTC doesn't either because there's no real return from WOTC's perspective in having Turtenwald as a signature player to begin with. He adds nothing that Random Good Player X wouldn't add; there never really has been any incentive for WOTC to prioritize paying off the top players vs. trying to increase volume of play.

Then again, I'm not terribly surprised that people who attempt to play Magic: the Gathering as a profession (honestly a laughably insane-person goal to begin with) have dramatically overestimated how much the company that was already paying them peanuts values them. You dun goofed.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 25, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

Hearthstone has a competitive system that doesn't cost a dime and WOTC is trying to run MTGO like the paper side of things.

MTGO continues the grand tradition of paper magic by marrying itself to bad decisions made early that become too baked-in to change.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If you can be a LOL pro player or any other of the many dumb games those "Cyber Athletes" play and make a good living, why shouldn't you be able to do that same thing for Magic?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

the fact that "pro" players don't have to pay for tournament entry boggles my mind.

I mean why the poo poo not charge money for entry into a Pro Tour event and throw it in a prize pool like a normal goddamn tournament?

Is there a big problem with the idea that if these "Pro" players entered a 2500 person field that we'd get a whole lot of "unknown" names every time they happen because the distance between a pro player and a normal player who just can't afford a pro player lifestyle of traveling everywhere all the time isn't that vast?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

If you can be a LOL pro player or any other of the many dumb games those "Cyber Athletes" play and make a good living, why shouldn't you be able to do that same thing for Magic?

Because Magic is less like e-sports and more like poker. There's very little actual value to the individual players, they just think there is because they're deluded. There's no real payoff to investing in making sure Joel Larsson shows up.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

the fact that "pro" players don't have to pay for tournament entry boggles my mind.

I mean why the poo poo not charge money for entry into a Pro Tour event and throw it in a prize pool like a normal goddamn tournament?

Is there a big problem with the idea that if these "Pro" players entered a 2500 person field that we'd get a whole lot of "unknown" names every time they happen because the distance between a pro player and a normal player who just can't afford a pro player lifestyle of traveling everywhere all the time isn't that vast?

2500 cut to top 8 is not a sustainable tournament size/structure.

mcmagic posted:

While I don't agree with regards to the former half calling "esports" games dumb, I agree that it makes sense that magic should support pros if it wants to be taken seriously as a game.

Also people should fly Owen Turtenwald everywhere because Owen Turtenwald owns.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is that the pro players are overvaluing their own worth to both WOTC and the community. I just don't really care if Owen Turtenwald can't afford to fly to every single tournament and its clear WOTC doesn't either because there's no real return from WOTC's perspective in having Turtenwald as a signature player to begin with. He adds nothing that Random Good Player X wouldn't add; there never really has been any incentive for WOTC to prioritize paying off the top players vs. trying to increase volume of play.

Then again, I'm not terribly surprised that people who attempt to play Magic: the Gathering as a profession (honestly a laughably insane-person goal to begin with) have dramatically overestimated how much the company that was already paying them peanuts values them. You dun goofed.

Basically this. There is no reason for WotC to any people thousands of dollars to come play thier game to possibly win thousands of dollars. Realistically if you want to be a pro go and take your chance to win.

mcmagic posted:

You can if you win. It's not WotCs job to pay you to play their game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Because Magic is less like e-sports and more like poker. There's very little actual value to the individual players, they just think there is because they're deluded. There's no real payoff to investing in making sure Joel Larsson shows up.

I don't see the difference in the e-sports comparison... Though I know next to nothing about e-sports.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is that the pro players are overvaluing their own worth to both WOTC and the community. I just don't really care if Owen Turtenwald can't afford to fly to every single tournament and its clear WOTC doesn't either because there's no real return from WOTC's perspective in having Turtenwald as a signature player to begin with.

He adds nothing that Random Good Player X would add; there never really has been any incentive for WOTC to prioritize paying off the top players vs. trying to increase volume of play.

They would if they followed the WWE method and made up cool, elaborate backstories for each of them. Pro tours still don't have entrance songs or fireworks for even the top 8. I think even something like the Motel California https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HztAWVUO1Zo stuff would've been great to solidify identities for these guys.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

They would if they followed the WWE method and made up cool, elaborate backstories for each of them. Pro tours still don't have entrance songs or fireworks for even the top 8. I think even something like the Motel California https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HztAWVUO1Zo stuff would've been great to solidify identities for these guys.

I've always maintained that PT coverage needs a heel announcer.

mcmagic posted:

I don't see the difference in the e-sports comparison... Though I know next to nothing about e-sports.

Then why are you posting that it should be like e-sports?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You people that hate the idea of magic pros crack me up

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

Now I want to know what LSV's gimmick would be. Probably something involving puns.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

I've always maintained that PT coverage needs a heel announcer.

Alex Bertoncini comes in with a folding chair and does his patented "three explores" move when 2 explores isn't enough. Rich Hagon gushes with enthusiasm and I squeal with joy. :allears:

Entropic posted:

Now I want to know what LSV's gimmick would be. Probably something involving puns.
Punisher would be a great identity, yeah.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Then why are you posting that it should be like e-sports?

Because I know enough to know that people make alot of money playing those games and none of them are close to as good as Magic...

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chill la Chill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTRuFwD1z98

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

rabidsquid posted:

You people that hate the idea of magic pros crack me up

I like the idea of amgic pros, I just disagree that Wizards should be the one paying them.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Man I sure hate that bant company is the only deck in this format if only some people took time to figure out another deck maybe because they could afford to take that time.

Now let's make sure they aren't allowed to do this.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Because I know enough to know that people make alot of money playing those games and none of them are close to as good as Magic...
League of Legends is super popular though. The Pro Tour often gets fewer viewers on Twitch than some kid playing CSGO.

Though I'm not saying this justifies the cuts 3/4 of the way through the season or whatever. I'm not a lawyer, accountant, marketer, or ethicist.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Watching the documentary, it seems that Reid Duke both looks and sounds like a Christian Bale impersonator.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I like the idea of amgic pros, I just disagree that Wizards should be the one paying them.

Why? They can afford to and it's a great way to raise visibility, advertise the game, and hold player interest. WotC making it impossible for players to gain any visibility otherwise or attract sponsors severely limits the possibility.

You know Riot barely pays their pro league of legends players much salary, but they do get paid by the organizations who own their teams, as well as having individual sponsorship's. Under the current direction wotc is taking this, these things are actual impossible in mtg.

odiv posted:

League of Legends is super popular though. The Pro Tour often gets fewer viewers on Twitch than some kid playing CSGO.

Though I'm not saying this justifies the cuts 3/4 of the way through the season or whatever. I'm not a lawyer, accountant, marketer, or ethicist.

MTG used to be one of the top ten game viewerships on Twitch, but that got crushed by the unwanted software change and as someone said earlier the emergence of Hearthstone. League of Legends is also free to play and their league championship series loses Riot a lot of money.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

Man I sure hate that bant company is the only deck in this format if only some people took time to figure out another deck maybe because they could afford to take that time.

Now let's make sure they aren't allowed to do this.

I will take the rare opportunity to give one of your posts my unqualified agreement. Well put.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

That is subjective. LOL is simply a more popular game and with that will draw more money and attention.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Zoness posted:

2500 cut to top 8 is not a sustainable tournament size/structure.

If they can do GP's, why can't they do PT's with the same size? Just give the babby pros byes through some convoluted baby system where they don't have to play as much.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Telex posted:

If they can do GP's, why can't they do PT's with the same size? Just give the babby pros byes through some convoluted baby system where they don't have to play as much.

The pro tour is smaller and the average player is a lot better than a GP. Leads to more interesting games starting from the first round.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

MTG used to be one of the top ten game viewerships on Twitch, but that got crushed by the unwanted software change and as someone said earlier the emergence of Hearthstone. League of Legends is also free to play and their league championship series loses Riot a lot of money.
I have to wonder if they just gave up on trying to play catch up and are cutting their losses instead, though as others have pointed out this isn't a ton of money. Maybe there are more changes to come.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but free to play seems like it has some valuable lessons for MTGO.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

rabidsquid posted:

Why? They can afford to and it's a great way to raise visibility, advertise the game, and hold player interest. WotC making it impossible for players to gain any visibility otherwise or attract sponsors severely limits the possibility.

You know Riot barely pays their pro league of legends players much salary, but they do get paid by the organizations who own their teams, as well as having individual sponsorship's. Under the current direction wotc is taking this, these things are actual impossible in mtg.

You answered your own question. CFB, SCG and the other team owners should be paying the pro players in their teams. They wear that brands shirts, they move that brands content. Why should wizards pay them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Epilogue: Frame fades in to shot framed on Missy DeTora's chest. GG WOTC

• Locked thread