Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Not sure they even needed to burn it since I doubt the average show viewer even remembers Mereen had a fleet.

Not sure why the Harpies would burn the fleet either. You'd think they'd want Dany to sail the hell out of there so they can take over the city while she's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FogHelmut posted:

So since the fleet at Meereen has been burned, I'm guessing Dany really has no way to get to Westeros anymore. Unless Victarion happens to show up and marry her and bring her on his own fleet.

Maybe is something like that really. They did cast someone that looked like Euron, right?

If that is the case, they will probably merge him with Vitarion and have him sail for Essos right after the kingsmoot. And then something will happen and she will get this fleet.

I really expect she will be sailing away by the end of the season. It seems quite possible they will end it with that scene exactly.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'm waiting for the sand snakes to kill Tommen next. Since I guess they're in King's Landing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Victarion sets out for Meereen with 93 ships, the exact number of ships Daario captured.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

Victarion sets out for Meereen with 93 ships, the exact number of ships Daario captured.

The Boltons send 20 good ships out to defeat them.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I was only ever looking forward to talking to more people and seeing their reactions to events in the story. I was reading the books in 2013 and the thought never even crossed my mind of telling my show-watching friends about the Red Wedding unless they specifically asked, I wanted them to react to the actual event taking place in the show. I wish characters like Lady Stoneheart were in the show because I'd love to see what the general viewing public makes of her and her storyline, not because I'd feel some smug satisfaction at knowing it was going to happen before they did. My feelings about the show aren't entirely divorced from my feelings about the books, but I want the show to be the best it can be. If I have problems with something in the show it's because it's poorly done, not because of some war between the books and the show.

Ironically, the same people who smugly bashed the books for years and acted like the show was going to be A Song of Ice and Fire Done Right are now flipping out over people criticizing the show. If you're willing to eviscerate the books for silly phrases like "words are wind" and "nuncle" or because the plot isn't moving fast enough, don't then expect the show to be beyond criticism. Don't presume that Aegon and Lady Stoneheart are pointless because they don't fit your personal ideas of what the story or plot is supposed to be(especially considering the only plotline that's truly been excised from the show is the Aegon one), but then lament that people in this thread aren't giving D&D time to justify the choices they make. Maybe it's because, as mentioned, I've only been a fan of this series for about three years but I don't see the problem with having an interest in it beyond spite for the author of the books.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 25, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I remember complaining in S2 about the shadow baby was magic and I didn't like how much magic was being put in compared to just being a general medieval themed political show

:allears:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Demiurge4 posted:

That's literally the reason why it burned. So Dany has no choice but to take whatever devils bargain the iron islanders come up with.

I still can't believe they gave Dany exactly as many ships as the Iron Fleet had only to decide "wait, actually we want the Iron Islands plot in the show" and torch them all.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

FogHelmut posted:

So since the fleet at Meereen has been burned, I'm guessing Dany really has no way to get to Westeros anymore. Unless Victarion happens to show up and marry her and bring her on his own fleet.

It won't be Victarion, it'll be Yara. You can tell in one of the trailers.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lycus posted:

It won't be Victarion, it'll be Yara. You can tell in one of the trailers.

It must be so weird being an actor that gets canned every other season and only gets token roles (lol Theon's 'rescue'). You can't turn down work on loving Game of Thrones though, I hope the actress does well this season and actually does something.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Those two are pretty much the worst people on the internet and I'm glad they are being spoiled, because they were the epitome of book reader douchebags.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

I remember complaining in S2 about the shadow baby was magic and I didn't like how much magic was being put in compared to just being a general medieval themed political show

:allears:

i still don't like the magic poo poo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I must have checked out during last season even more than I remember, because i don't recall any mention of a fleet at all. Was the fleet mentioned last season, or did it really just appear for the first time in this last episode when it was burning?

Normally I'd do a rewatch but haha gently caress season 5.

Guys, I just solved two the major problems with the episode. The sand snakes actually teleported up to Winterfell, and stole the dogs mid fight, on their way to Kings Landing.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Darkstar brought the Sand Snakes to the boat in time.

He is of the night.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
The dogs are missing because the one Bolton soldier who also disappeared fled with them back to Winterfell. This is why Ramsay knows that Sansa's heading to Castle Black in the episode preview.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

counterfeitsaint posted:

I must have checked out during last season even more than I remember, because i don't recall any mention of a fleet at all. Was the fleet mentioned last season, or did it really just appear for the first time in this last episode when it was burning?

Guys, I just solved two the major problems with the episode. The sand snakes actually teleported up to Winterfell, and stole the dogs mid fight, on their way to Kings Landing.

You are not the only one, I had completely forgotten about it until Ive read on this thread. The fleet is mentioned after Daaaario comes back from Yunkai, he got it after retaking the city

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

I watched S5 last week to refresh before tonight and I don't recall any mention of a fleet.

Neba
Feb 1, 2004

I watched S5 last week to refresh before tonight and I don't recall any mention of a fleet.
Googled it a bit and apparently Daario captured it in S4.

"I heard you like ships."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

S4.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Daario: I stole a bunch of ships *crunches apple*
Dany: You stole a bunch of ships?
Daario: *munch crunch* I thought you liked ships.

Something like that, if I recall?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I hate the way many people in this thread seem to agree that books 4 and 5 were pure poo poo. Even if the overall quality was lower, there were individual storylines in those books that were among the best in the series. Just off the top of my head, I found Bran incredibly dull until Book 5, when his chapters suddenly became super compelling. Reek/Theon was also great, and Cersei's chapters were spectacular when GRRM wasn't giving in to his obsession with "huge, dark nipples" or whatever the gently caress. The Walk of Shame was especially good.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I remember it because it was one of the few times Daario having his own men meant anything.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 27, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FourLeaf posted:

I hate the way many people in this thread seem to agree that books 4 and 5 were pure poo poo. Even if the overall quality was lower, there were individual storylines in those books that were among the best in the series. Just off the top of my head, I found Bran incredibly dull until Book 5, when his chapters suddenly became super compelling. Reek/Theon was also great, and Cersei's chapters were spectacular when GRRM wasn't giving in to his obsession with "huge, dark nipples" or whatever the gently caress. The Walk of Shame was especially good.

There are some good parts but the bad boring ones are unfortunatelly a lot longer

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Neba posted:

Googled it a bit and apparently Daario captured it in S4.

"I heard you like ships."

Jesus Christ she really has been dicking around in Mereen a long god drat time.

Maybe they thought if they add a bunch of other plot points that literally do nothing at all, it will distracted us from Dorne?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Since we're on the topic of Daario and it's actually been a few years now. Was it ever revealed why they changed the actor out? Was he just too creepy for a show with loving Littlefinger in it, or did he gently caress a producers wife or what?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
this guy should've been daario:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

FourLeaf posted:

There are several cool things in both books. But they should have been half as long and been one book. If you read the internet re-ordering PDF, you'll still find yourself skipping large swaths of text that just doesn't matter and is boring as hell.

So compared to the early books, which had boring poo poo but less of it, and more plot progression, they are a huge dip in quality, because we really aren't that much further two books in, and let's be honest, it's been 15 years now. If you make the reader wait that long for closure or progression, they are going to be harsher on what you release.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

Since we're on the topic of Daario and it's actually been a few years now. Was it ever revealed why they changed the actor out? Was he just too creepy for a show with loving Littlefinger in it, or did he gently caress a producers wife or what?

He left because he got a job as the new Transporter. Kinda like how the original Mountain left to be in The Hobbit, except that old Daario actually did get to star in a movie instead of being replaced by a CGI orc.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Skrein Skrein states that "behind the scenes politics" had forced him to leave the show.[5]

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

He left to go do movies

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

colonel_korn posted:

Kinda like how the original Mountain left to be in The Hobbit

i hate that guy for leaving he was goddamn perfect.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

hanales posted:

There are several cool things in both books. But they should have been half as long and been one book. If you read the internet re-ordering PDF, you'll still find yourself skipping large swaths of text that just doesn't matter and is boring as hell.

So compared to the early books, which had boring poo poo but less of it, and more plot progression, they are a huge dip in quality, because we really aren't that much further two books in, and let's be honest, it's been 15 years now. If you make the reader wait that long for closure or progression, they are going to be harsher on what you release.

Books 4 and 5 were when it became apparently the grrm no longer gave a poo poo about the original story he wanted to tell, and is just going to add bloat and new characters and world building forever. World building can be interesting, and some of it is in the books, but he should have finished his original god drat story, you know, the compelling one that made all this poo poo popular in the first place. Once the original arc was done he can write all the supplemental poo poo he wants at whatever pace he wants and everyone would still love him.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

The best part is that the hobbit role dried up. Dude hosed up, people loved him and he missed the best mountain scenes

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

He didn't leave, he was planning on doing both the Hobbit and Game of Thrones. He first heard his role had been recast from winteriscoming.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Skrein Skrein states that "behind the scenes politics" had forced him to leave the show.[5]

Yeah, I think i remember him saying in an interview that there was no interference with Transporter and he wanted to stay on Thrones, and a bunch of the cast have done movies. So I don't know.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Lloyd Boner posted:

The dogs are missing because the one Bolton soldier who also disappeared fled with them back to Winterfell. This is why Ramsay knows that Sansa's heading to Castle Black in the episode preview.

That makes sense, but why not even a momentary shot of him fleeing? Bad ediing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The original Mountain was fantastic. The new one doesn't even pretend to be acting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
From the looks of it, The Mountain is just a guy in an ill-fitting helmet from now on. Is it even Hafthor under there now? I saw his name in the credits but the close-ups don't look like his eyes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

onemillionzombies posted:

No it's actually pretty bad writing.

I see someone has never read Julius Ceasar.

• Locked thread