Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

Stuntman posted:

The having to grind to get good poo poo for your map system seems kind of hosed up, but the rest looks solid.

HMS Boromir posted:

I only caught a glimpse of the stream, did they seriously put in a system where you have to unlock elements of the map editor with in-game funbucks? Because if so loooooooooool

All the in-editor stuff is unlocked from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

HMS Boromir posted:

I only caught a glimpse of the stream, did they seriously put in a system where you have to unlock elements of the map editor with in-game funbucks? Because if so loooooooooool

I don't see the problem with this, it's exactly like the "fight money" system SFV has, and it's much better than having to outright pay for the extra stuff.

Honestly this stream has done a lot to allay my fears for the game, all they gotta do is nail the landing with the SP campaign stream and I'm all over this game for sure.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If they managed to slip in Doom Mario Maker with this thing then I hope it ends up selling despite the beta.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Al-Saqr posted:

I don't see the problem with this, it's exactly like the "fight money" system SFV has, and it's much better than having to outright pay for the extra stuff.

Honestly this stream has done a lot to allay my fears for the game, all they gotta do is nail the landing with the SP campaign stream and I'm all over this game for sure.

I dunno, for some reason the idea of locking bits of the level editor behind one of those progression systems bothers me a lot more than locking cosmetics and characters they would've otherwise just made you pay for.

ShinAli posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Did I misinterpret what the funbucks are for? Like I said, I only caught a minute or two of the stream.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ShinAli posted:

He just said "unlocked with snapmap points" on the stream

Al-Saqr posted:

Its dumb because its an editor. Unlocking player cosmetics totally makes sense. Unlocking the ability to have more map variety is dumb and only ensures that the first month after release is going to be full of the same snapmaps that all use the same elements and textures as everybody works to unlock the rest. Its a bad idea.

See: super mario maker

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

HMS Boromir posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Did I misinterpret what the funbucks are for? Like I said, I only caught a minute or two of the stream.

Zaphod42 posted:

He just said "unlocked with snapmap points" on the stream

They do unlock something, but you'll have access to all the modules, logic nodes, props, items and AI from the get go.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Another thing they did well: there's already a great map browser.

They even have functionality for basic hash-tags already! Miles ahead of 343i.

Halo 5 dropped the ball on that BIG time, despite having a great map editor with Forge. The only way to find a map is to search for the player who made it by name. The only way to save a link to those maps or those players is to send a friend invite to the map creator.

When 343i officially recommends a map somebody made, they're linking that player's XBL profile name on the home page of the game. That's hosed. I can't imagine what kind of message spam or friend request spam any successful map maker gets in Halo. (Well, back when people were still playing :cheeky:)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 25, 2016

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Its dumb because its an editor. Unlocking player cosmetics totally makes sense. Unlocking the ability to have more map variety is dumb and only ensures that the first month after release is going to be full of the same snapmaps that all use the same elements and textures as everybody works to unlock the rest. Its a bad idea.

Ooooooooh ok yeah I agree that's kinda dumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The fact that the internal dev team managed to make a parkour map and a basketball map is really, really good news.

The millions of players always manage to come up with some cool poo poo the developers didn't even think of, but if they already have that level of freedom and ability to do anything, then when the actual general public gets their hands on it we're going to see some really ridiculous and amazing stuff.

Like... Doom 4 is borderline Garry's Mod.

ShinAli posted:

They do unlock something, but you'll have access to all the modules, logic nodes, props, items and AI from the get go.

Okay, maybe not so bad then. Looked like map tilesets though which would be huuuuge. (E: Looking back, maybe its just the map icons? That's silly but minor if true)

Also good to see the BFG and other weapons that weren't in MP are available in SnapMap.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

It really is massively irritating. I can understand a degree of learning the basics before diving headfirst into madness, but maybe that's how this player learns?

Didn't Mario Maker dump that gimmick pretty quickly, though?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Megaman Powered Up made you collect all the editor stuff throughout the levels as hidden powerups, which is cool if you like playing the game and finding all the secret poo poo, but annoying if you just want to make nice levels right away. Also if you lost your save for whatever reason. Luckely you could download a 100% save from within the game iirc. Gonna go ahead and guess it won't be a big problem for doom

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat, that vid is cool as gently caress.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hope people don't go too crazy with giving enemies lots of health, but hell yeah SnapMap look cool.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Is this thread still full of salty folks who refer to this game as Retard 4?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Zaphod42 posted:

Assuming it really does unlock AI/editor elements and not just cosmetic settings (it seriously looks like it only unlocks cosmetic settings, by the way), you can actually spend the whole time getting snapmap coins just by playing other people's maps, among other potential things. They seemed to emphasize a lot that you can gain coins by doing numerous other things rather than just making maps, so perhaps that means literally everything will gain you coins? :shrug:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah sounds like they're trying to do what Mario Maker did: Gently encourage some passive study on how good levels are made and encouraging people to ease into the advanced parts.

Which means they'll probably have to do what Mario Maker did: unlock it all asap because we can smell homework from a mile away and hate constraints.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Captain Gordon posted:

If you mean "folks who only saw the MP poo poo", then no. SnapMap stream, that is all.

Rocket Pan posted:

Assuming it really does unlock AI/editor elements and not just cosmetic settings (it seriously looks like it only unlocks cosmetic settings, by the way), you can actually spend the whole time getting snapmap coins just by playing other people's maps, among other potential things. They seemed to emphasize a lot that you can gain coins by doing numerous other things rather than just making maps, so perhaps that means literally everything will gain you coins? :shrug:

I just hope the Hell cosmetics are well worth the price in SnapBux.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Captain Gordon posted:

Retard 4 was BBG's stupid gimmick he kept posting over and over, which somehow came back around the other way and kinda became a funny in-joke when a mod and other posters started repeating it.

As for being salty, I call em as I see em, as I have done with other games in the past. I was optimistic for Doom 4, was really excited for SnapMap and hopeful that the campaign looked pretty cool. Watching the MP played by RoosterTeeth left a real bad taste in my mouth, and playing it myself didn't make things any better. But SnapMap is still amazing, just as cool as I thought it would be, maybe even better.

The real question is how good with the SP be, and until they show us more, jury's out.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Super Mario Map Maker

WADs are classically Doom and where you sunk all your time once you'd played SP a bit

I know..

A modern WAD editor sorta like Mario Map Maker but for loving Doom. People can make maps and upload them and play them and itll be rad.

Congrats Bethesda. This is very slick.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Tony Montana posted:

Super Mario Map Maker

WADs are classically Doom and where you sunk all your time once you'd played SP a bit

I know..

A modern WAD editor sorta like Mario Map Maker but for loving Doom. People can make maps and upload them and play them and itll be rad.

Congrats Bethesda. This is very slick.

You're saying that this game should have launched with a Doom 2 snapmap, as well as just plain ol fuckin doom 2? If so I agree.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Okay, cool. I definitely jumped the gun in being upset about things being locked away. It seems mostly like the cosmetic aspects like those map icon tiles and character customization stuff. I'm totally fine with that. Fantastic that they had some more off-the-wall examples to show off.

At this point, even if single player isn't all we've hoped for, we've got Snap Map to make what we really want! Well, I guess it depends on how malleable these room modules are. I didn't see anything about manipulating geometry. I thought for sure at the end there we were going to see some scratch-built level design, starting from nothing, but I guess it remains to be seen.

All that said, and as excited as I am, I genuinely hope (vainly I know) that Wednesday's stream for single player is more focused on watching the game on screen, soaking up atmosphere, listening to the music and sound design, and maybe not blabbing over the entirety of the broadcast. "Oh, I'm from England! English Queen wave! Gary sucks, apparently!" "I am a bumbling shill playing dumb instead of just asking natural questions to prompt the answers people will want" Shut the gently caress up! I'm a curmudgeonly gently caress who hates fun or whatever, but this constant chatter over gameplay videos is ridiculous.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

PrincessWuffles posted:

Okay, cool. I definitely jumped the gun in being upset about things being locked away. It seems mostly like the cosmetic aspects like those map icon tiles and character customization stuff. I'm totally fine with that. Fantastic that they had some more off-the-wall examples to show off.

At this point, even if single player isn't all we've hoped for, we've got Snap Map to make what we really want! Well, I guess it depends on how malleable these room modules are. I didn't see anything about manipulating geometry. I thought for sure at the end there we were going to see some scratch-built level design, starting from nothing, but I guess it remains to be seen.

All that said, and as excited as I am, I genuinely hope (vainly I know) that Wednesday's stream for single player is more focused on watching the game on screen, soaking up atmosphere, listening to the music and sound design, and maybe not blabbing over the entirety of the broadcast. "Oh, I'm from England! English Queen wave! Gary sucks, apparently!" "I am a bumbling shill playing dumb instead of just asking natural questions to prompt the answers people will want" Shut the gently caress up! I'm a curmudgeonly gently caress who hates fun or whatever, but this constant chatter over gameplay videos is ridiculous.

In British Chick's defense, she's probably massively jet lagged. Hell, all three of them seem like people who are probably way more comfortable behind a keyboard than behind a camera, but I'll take awkward and shy over screeching YouTuber any day.

My only concern with SnapMap is that it seems to retain MP's two gun load out gimmick and I didn't see any maps over 4 players. For coop that makes sense, but didn't Doom have at least 8 player deathmatch? (By the time I finally got the Internet, Quake had replaced Doom as the go to deathmatch game so I really don't know.) even with those limitations, it looks pretty cool, especially if it loads that quickly and smoothly.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Hellburger99 posted:

In British Chick's defense, she's probably massively jet lagged. Hell, all three of them seem like people who are probably way more comfortable behind a keyboard than behind a camera, but I'll take awkward and shy over screeching YouTuber any day.
Oh, hello there. It was far far from the worst I've ever seen. I don't know. I think it would be a real good idea for a company like Bethesda or Id, at their level, to maybe have someone on staff who's equal parts marketing and video game enthusiast. What I mean is they should call one of us. Though, it has been brought up earlier in the thread that game publishers have their heads rammed firmly assward, so who knows.

Hellburger99 posted:

My only concern with SnapMap is that it seems to retain MP's two gun load out gimmick and I didn't see any maps over 4 players. For coop that makes sense, but didn't Doom have at least 8 player deathmatch? (By the time I finally got the Internet, Quake had replaced Doom as the go to deathmatch game so I really don't know.) even with those limitations, it looks pretty cool, especially if it loads that quickly and smoothly.
The guy with the controller confirmed that loadouts are a multiplayer thing, and SnapMap has options for pistol-start, no weapons at all, more classic style weapon pickups, or some other weird variation. The four player thing was, I think, mentioned somewhere in the E3 footage (or GDC? I can't remember), and it's definitely a let-down, but we'll see if it's a technical limitation or something that might be lifted in the future by some means.

Agreed. SnapMap definitely looks cool as gently caress, even if it's limited to what we saw.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I think I heard somewhere that it's 4 players for consoles and 8 players for PC, not sure though.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They should call Snapmap Retard Maker.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

PrincessWuffles posted:

The guy with the controller confirmed that loadouts are a multiplayer thing, and SnapMap has options for pistol-start, no weapons at all, more classic style weapon pickups, or some other weird variation. The four player thing was, I think, mentioned somewhere in the E3 footage (or GDC? I can't remember), and it's definitely a let-down, but we'll see if it's a technical limitation or something that might be lifted in the future by some means.

Eh, even if it's only four player, I guess people can have their 1v1 lightning fast shotgun duels or whatever. And while I don't like monster or level limitations as a general rule, I love the feature that tells you how meant system resources your map is going to use. Fingers crossed for Wednesday!

PrincessWuffles posted:

What I mean is they should call one of us.
About that.

Blackheart posted:

Exactly why that won't happen.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blackheart posted:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

PrincessWuffles posted:

Oh, hello there. It was far far from the worst I've ever seen. I don't know. I think it would be a real good idea for a company like Bethesda or Id, at their level, to maybe have someone on staff who's equal parts marketing and video game enthusiast. What I mean is they should call one of us. Though, it has been brought up earlier in the thread that game publishers have their heads rammed firmly assward, so who knows.

Agreed. SnapMap definitely looks cool as gently caress, even if it's limited to what we saw.

Wonder how good it'd be in recreating Go 2 It. Just imagine all those monsters loving everyone up first time.

Then again, I forget if Go 2 It had ammo at the start because of how many mobs there were.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

I agree.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Blackheart posted:

Your mom is named Snapmap? That's a weird coincidence.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I was gonna make an ex-wife joke...

What blew up more, those barrels or my ex-wife? Anyways folks

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Al-Saqr posted:

I think I heard somewhere that it's 4 players for consoles and 8 players for PC, not sure though.

That is not a thing that has been said anywhere official.

TBH having watched the stream Snapmap is exactly what they said it was gonna be, and it looks pretty good. As long as there's enough different blocks to get some good variety I can see a lot of cool things being done with it.

Also, I am constantly bemused by goons recently, when this pattern develops:

Game Dev: We are doing this thing, it's going to be great, here's some features"
Goons: Lol that's gonna suck and those features probably won't even be there
Game Dev: No really guys it's gonna be great!
Goons: Lol won't get fooled again! It's gonna suck you're just trying to cover it up
~time passes~
Game Dev: Here's a demonstration of that stuff we were talking about, here's some video of those cool features we mentioned!
Goons: OMG THIS IS AMAZING I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S SO GOOD, WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THESE COOL FEATURES

:jerkbag:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Doom 2016..................................... will be good.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

GUI posted:

Doom 2016..................................... will be good.

I am glad of it

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol yes. Super Mario Maker did the same stupid as hell thing, where everybody ended up creating random maps and just filling them with grids of blocks over and over in order to game the system to unlock the rest of the bits faster.

I am so sick of that "____ is fun in another context, lets shoehorn it in here!" game design mentality. It never works.

People like unlocks! Lets lock a bunch of snapmap features so they can unlock them!

People like loadouts! Lets make a doom game with loadouts and no map spawns!

The loving fighting/party game syndrome where you show up to a party/gathering with a brand new game and half the content is locked. Rock Band/Guitar Hero devs especially should have offered a sacrifice to the gaming public for that.

Snap Map looks like it owns, but I hope you can turn off the hit indicators. I'm getting a little tired of hit markers and numbers in shooters.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 26, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Plan Z posted:

Snap Map looks like it owns, but I hope you can turn off the hit indicators. I'm getting a little tired of hit markers and numbers in shooters.

Mustaine specifically said in the stream that you can turn that off. And indeed, in half the maps he played they weren't on.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Mustaine specifically said in the stream that you can turn that off. And indeed, in half the maps he played they weren't on.

Yeah, noticed that as I kept watching.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

echronorian posted:

It's a loving video game to anyone who isn't mentally handicapped

Yep, it's a game. One with enough complexity you can approach it in different ways.

Snapmap is the single thing that has me interested in this game, really. The best thing about Doom was always how easy it is to make maps and stuff.

Zaphod42 posted:

Another thing they did well: there's already a great map browser.

They even have functionality for basic hash-tags already! Miles ahead of 343i.

Halo 5 dropped the ball on that BIG time, despite having a great map editor with Forge. The only way to find a map is to search for the player who made it by name. The only way to save a link to those maps or those players is to send a friend invite to the map creator.

When 343i officially recommends a map somebody made, they're linking that player's XBL profile name on the home page of the game. That's hosed. I can't imagine what kind of message spam or friend request spam any successful map maker gets in Halo. (Well, back when people were still playing :cheeky:)

Wait, 343i managed to do it worse than Nintendo? I'm... actually legitimately amazed.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 26, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Plan Z posted:

I'm getting a little tired of hit markers and numbers in shooters.
I personally can't stand that poo poo, and I'm real glad you can turn them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

someone made a nifty gif of the snapmap toolbar: