Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i never do it with jrpgs because holy gently caress you have to be insane to try and do that for almost all of them, tits included

the steps for getting a perfect run of final fantasy 7 are the most insane and tedious things ever devised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i do agree that the books in trails are a little iffy tho, but that's less because 'oh no i missed out on 10 attack' and more because they're cool world building that it sucks to miss out on

and even then you can just look them up online

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah missing out on the world building is the bigger deal, like carnelia introduces two decently important characters.

That said I don't know if they do this for every in game series, but carnelia can be read in full in SC in the Erebonian embassy iirc

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm Towa's number one max rank best helper and I'm proud of it. Never really bother with books or other stuff though

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I very rarely bother with 100%ing games. Something I've done once or twice for games I really really enjoyed, like P4G and FC, but even then I just try to go for all the achievements or sidequests or something rather than a proper 100%. I enjoyed playing FC again and doing all the quests, but I'm not gonna be arsed to speak to every NPC every time to see all the changes.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I just platinumed Cold Steel the other day.

Only took me 212 hours :v:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The Colonel posted:

i never do it with jrpgs because holy gently caress you have to be insane to try and do that for almost all of them, tits included

the steps for getting a perfect run of final fantasy 7 are the most insane and tedious things ever devised

The steps for getting a 100% FF9 game including the Excalibur II must be just as bad. If it's even possible? It probably isn't, actually.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I just finished the second sewer dungeon in Chapter 4. Are there anymore coming up, because these things are a pain.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

The steps for getting a 100% FF9 game including the Excalibur II must be just as bad. If it's even possible? It probably isn't, actually.

it is

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Endorph posted:

100%ing video games is lame

But I 100% video games. I guess I am lame now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Slur posted:

But I 100% video games. I guess I am lame now.

*awkwardly tugs collar*

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think I've only ever 100%'d platformers.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bunch of low achieving gamers itt

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
100%ing games is insanely good and everyone should feel free to do it. Or not, whatever gets your boat rowing.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Motto posted:

I think I've only ever 100%'d platformers.

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland didn't track percentages, but I think that's my 100% game if I have one

e: Or the first Golden Sun

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erg posted:

I just finished the second sewer dungeon in Chapter 4. Are there anymore coming up, because these things are a pain.

I don't remember any more sewer dungeons after Chapter 4, but mechanically they're not much different from any of the others imo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Chapter 6 has a tunnel dungeon.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Really Pants posted:

I don't remember any more sewer dungeons after Chapter 4, but mechanically they're not much different from any of the others imo.

I think it's just that I've been fighting every monster so far, so when I got to the third screen I realized I had to stop doing that or this was going to take forever

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I assume you're speaking about FC? There's a spot in the sewers you'll need to return to later, which reveals another part of the sewers. I'd nevertheless encourage you to explore it because there's some good stuff lying about and you won't be able to return there later.

I 100%-ed FC and it's not that much of a pain actually. The biggest headache is getting the achievements for all the chests, armors and weapons, but you have a crazy lot of saveslots so if you make a lot of savegames you can load the correct one later to check it off the list if you missed it before.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

I assume you're speaking about FC? There's a spot in the sewers you'll need to return to later, which reveals another part of the sewers. I'd nevertheless encourage you to explore it because there's some good stuff lying about and you won't be able to return there later.

I 100%-ed FC and it's not that much of a pain actually. The biggest headache is getting the achievements for all the chests, armors and weapons, but you have a crazy lot of saveslots so if you make a lot of savegames you can load the correct one later to check it off the list if you missed it before.

Erg's previous post mentions Eliot.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Ugh, right. Anyway, the second sewer tunnel should be the last one, though there's additional AP to be gained by revisiting one of them at some point.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
So yeah, I thought Trails chapter 2 was worse than Chapter 1. 1 felt like there were more zones, and things do roam around and explore. The main thing though and the things that is really keeping me from continuing is the awful, creepy subplot of romance between the main characters. I cannot sit through another dialogue where this happens

NPC: Boy your companion is quite attractive aren't they!
PC1: Well, I never thought of them like that, we were raised as brother and sister, so I think of them like my sibling.
NPC: Better hit that before someone else, like myself, does.

I really don't want to go on some anti-Japan wtf is wrong with you rant, but come loving on. I get they aren't related by blood but that doesn't make it ok. In the prologue it was ok because I figured alright, it's just defining that these characters aren't going to be romanically engaged but are instead effectively brother and sister on a quest to save their dad. Since then it's been repeatedly brought up and suggested that the two of them have to hook up because "hey you're not really brother/sister, right?"

I'm sure there's some of you in this thread that are willing to give this a pass because "haha Japan you so crazy", or whatever your personal feelings are on what the definition of incest should be; I'm not going to debate it here with you. I find it weird and uncomfortable, and it is actively hindering my enjoyment of the characters and the story which is why I'm not continuing onto the next segment of the story. I was looking for something a little more adult in the overall story, the chapter started out looking good with the orphans being burned alive but it turned out they lived and it was part of a shadowy conspiracy to build vacation homes for rich people so yeah, screw this. I was totally ready to buy into a story that the annoying orphan was actually some bastard child that needed to be erased so that someone could have a claim to the throne with no loose ends. At the end of the day I wanted some Final Fantasy Tactics, or Suikoden level political intrugue with my jrpg experience and this ain't doing it.

Anyway, this is going on my list of games that I get why people like it, but is ultimately not my cup of tea. If you're a fan of this game more power to you, I hope they make more so you can continue to enjoy what you like, party on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah that's fair, the end of the game and especially the sequel is entirely built on the romance there so if you find that distasteful then yeah, don't play more.

as for the political intrigue however, the whole thing is building to something, the rear end in a top hat rich people are pretty much just being used to cover the actual antagonist's tracks and distract from their actions. and tbh i don't really see orphans being burnt alive as something that makes a story more adult.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Anyway, this is going on my list of games that I get why people like it, but is ultimately not my cup of tea. If you're a fan of this game more power to you, I hope they make more so you can continue to enjoy what you like, party on.

There's seven games so far, with an eighth in development and at least two more planned for the future.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have no problem with the Joshua/Estelle romance. Maybe I'm just trying to rationalize it away because I like the games so much but I felt like it was pretty well established how they really thought of each other early on, and they weren't raised together from that young an age.

Them doing a bit of a repeat of that in ToCS with Rean's little sister bothered me a lot more but at least it's pretty clear that's not going anywhere.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Does the Crossbell arc have a not-blood-sibling romance?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Does the Crossbell arc have a not-blood-sibling romance?

I don't think so. At least Lloyd only has an older brother, who is dead from that start

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For Estelle and Josh, they only lived together for like 3-4 years, iirc? And going by his actions in Sky II, he never really thought of himself as an actual member of the family, because he has issues. I don't really have an issue with it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Endorph posted:

For Estelle and Josh, they only lived together for like 3-4 years, iirc? And going by his actions in Sky II, he never really thought of himself as an actual member of the family, because he has issues. I don't really have an issue with it.

Five years.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Endorph posted:

Yeah, I don't think Joshua ever really felt like they were brother and sister at all, and they aren't. Estelle initially seems to think of him as a brother, but then she doesn't, that also isn't particularly weird to me really. They're kids with crazy hormones and a strange living arrangement!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Joshua admits he basically crushed on her from the moment he met her so it's most Estelle. It's still weird though.

It's nowhere as bad as Rean's sister in SC though who I just rolled my eyes at constantly even with her own mini-Olivier there for the ride.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I feel the need to point out that even in the Prologue, this:

quote:

PC1: Well, I never thought of them like that, we were raised as brother and sister, so I think of them like my sibling.

is very most definitely shown to be not quite the case. See the Perzel Farm for examples.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Still playing CS, Sara doing a mean impression of Crow legit made me bust out laughing

I love the voice acting so much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

Still playing CS, Sara doing a mean impression of Crow legit made me bust out laughing

The voice acting in CS puts a lot of actual western-made games to shame, honestly.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Erg posted:

Sara is my favorite non-Estelle Trails character. I hope she's heavily featured in CS2.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Like other people said, Estelle and Joshua weren't brought up together. Both are 16 and they didn't meet until they were 11, which wouldn't even make them childhood friends. More like middle school friends. Joshua never saw Estelle as a sister either, due to his past. Both met at a point way beyond the age where the Westermarck effect would have kicked in for them. I'll admit that the trope CAN be kind of squicky; Cold Steel actually has two people who WERE raised together ever since toddlerhood and one of them has an adopted sibling-crush and quite a few people did find that one (though it's a one-sided crush) a tad creepy. But since Joshua and Estelle became adopted siblings as such a relatively late age, not until their early teens, the creepiness factor was pretty much nullified for me and presumably for most folks. They're less adopted siblings and more teens with special living arrangements.

So yeah, the adopted sibling-romance trope CAN be creepy, but it was pulled off believably here and the fact they didn't grow up together made the romance more believable than if they had been childhood friends since the age of 3.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 29, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the reason their relationship at the start of the game is established the way it is at all is just because they needed some way to give them both strong connections to each other, and they decided it was the most natural way to handle it

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
The odd thing for me is that, I'm usually ok with these kinds of ...relationships.
So I'm not really sure why I'm so weirded out by this one.

I think it's due to the nature of it (this is a game, and usually I only encounter the "relationship" in visual novels or anime), and...something which I can't quite put my finger on.

For Cold Steel (dunno about Cold Steel 2), I don't really have any problem with Elise so far, maybe it's because it's a bit more typical? I am quite sure it's also because Elise doesn't nearly have as much screen time in Cold Steel....though I dunno about CS2.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
XSeed has at least two other games where the brother-sister relationship trope is used.

Corpse Party has a blood-related variation, completely unironically, though it IS one-sided. (though still a bit creepy...in a game where most of the creepiness is more traditional)

Lunar 1 uses the adopted sibling variation and plays it completely straight too, Alex and Luna (the protagonists) have been together (and in love, according to the game) since they were infants and nobody in the game is weirded out by it...though it's slightly remedied by the fact that Alex and Luna are never referred to as adopted siblings, despite the fact that that's exactly what they are.

Compared to these two cases, Estelle's and Joshua's relationship is a lot more believable and developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't super want to weigh in on this but Estelle/Joshua really was fine, they did a pretty good job of both organically building it up and showing even early on that they gel with each other in a charming way that isn't really familial. More importantly they are individually good characters that you get attached to and it's hard to not want them to, you know, be happy and all that jazz.