Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

spud posted:

How much time is left now??

e: Asking from my iWatch in central park I'm on a Mindfulness course.

The twitch is going:

https://www.twitch.tv/theromero

It's a single player/co-op FPS. No competitive multiplayer.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's a "holodeck goes crazy" episode from TNG.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im in support of this simply because its fully moddable

too many devs these days are pulling the moddability just so they can sell their own lovely skins and maps for 10 dollars each

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
bitch i used to get hundreds of skins and maps for FREE with my half-life counter strike mod

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
well that's awkward and a little cringey and they have nothing to show. Keep chasing your star, John!!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Adrian Carmack looks like a sad Andy Richter.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Seriously this is a dumb idea and his awful smug face makes me want to Derek Smart his kickstarter.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok I'm going to say it:

Ireland paid us loads of money with massive tax breaks to make a shite game.

There we go.

Source: I worked there for years, this is what happens.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I asked John if Superfly was in the game and he said no. :smith:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

"Many varied environments"

Loading "sewer1.map"
Loading "sewer2.map"
Loading "sewer3.map"

Loading "frog000001.mdl"
Loading "frog000002.mdl"
Loading "frog000003.mdl"

Loading "bug000001.mdl"
Loading "bug000002.mdl"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

spud posted:

Ok I'm going to say it:

Ireland paid us loads of money with massive tax breaks to make a shite game.

There we go.

Source: I worked there for years, this is what happens.

He seems to be taking to here pretty well though!:
http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/games/indo-indie/game-design-legend-john-romero-launches-irish-language-game-34182777.html

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

It's TimeSplitters Future Perfect except it's not fun or creative.

Can't wait to play the adventures of generic shoot man.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno I feel like he just keeps pushing out the same zombie movie and lost interest in the subject. I can't imagine this venture into. Video games will be much different

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
John Romero has been making facebook games and mobile aps for like the past 5+ years. Can't wait to see what he comes up with.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

John Romero laughed at my stupid joke, I fully support this venture now :unsmith:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This Carmack didn't go total autism and send his cat off to the shelter because the cost/benefit analysis came back askew.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
$700,000

It's going to be twice as good as Broken Age!

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Romero has apparently decided "I'm going to cosplay as Top Dollar from the Crow, every day".

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FuriousGeorge posted:

Romero has apparently decided "I'm going to cosplay as Top Dollar from the Crow, every day".

I like his manly and sensual long hair.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

All about this is top 90s.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

error1 posted:

John Romero laughed at my stupid joke, I fully support this venture now :unsmith:

where did he laugh at it?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,817/

Business
Pettington Park (2012) (CEO)

quote:

Pettington Park is a weekly fun competition between the Cat Team and the Dog Team. You choose at the start which side you are on -- basically, are you a cat person or a dog person? Choose your breed, dress your character, then play mini-games, pull gags on your friends, and build your park up to compete against the other team each week.

Everything you do in the game is tallied and added to the scores of everyone else on your team. Every Sunday, the scores are compared and one side is declared the winner of the week. Then the scores reset, and the two teams battle for another week. All the while, players discover secrets, visit countries and try to unite their side in the battle against the foes.

The future is here. John Romero wants you to walk his bitch.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
the guy from dokken is doing the soundtrack. i'm in

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Didn't Romero string out some pro gamer chick (back when pro gaming was Quake, UT, etc) and pay for her boobs to be done, with a shitload of drama involved, or was that an alternative reality?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Durzel posted:

Didn't Romero string out some pro gamer chick (back when pro gaming was Quake, UT, etc) and pay for her boobs to be done, with a shitload of drama involved, or was that an alternative reality?
Stevie Case got the implants on her own, or that's the story anyway. The mistake was hiring her on as a level designer, probably. One of those things that sunk Ion Storm.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

spud posted:

The gently caress are they doing in the UK? If they are in the UK i'm gonna make him my bitch.

e: Oh it's Ireland? Why are they not in US and A.

Adrian invested wisely and bought a golf club out there.
Romero is crashing on his couch because he drank all his money and couldn't even afford a cool looking hoodie for his comeback video.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

kickstarter faq posted:

Are you going to make us your bitch again?

How about we just make you all a game.

looks like somebody's a little sick of hearing that all the time

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

Stevie Case got the implants on her own, or that's the story anyway. The mistake was hiring her on as a level designer, probably. One of those things that sunk Ion Storm.

brb going to get my copy of PC Accelerator out of the attic

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So this is a game inside of a game that takes place inside of a game?

wow im owned hard

this is so creative and new

#whoa #wow

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's literally the exact same loving setting as Daikatana except they've filed off time travel and replaced it with "glitch in the matrix"

Hope Superfly Johnson makes a cameo.

Legit excited for this though. Even if it's bad I get to witness a second Daikatana.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
BTW, the Masters of Doom biographyu covers Romero and Carmack (the other one) from their childhoods and the founding of iD Software from the pre-Doom, Softdisk days and all the way through Daikatana and Quake 3.

The book has a real fall-from-grace narrative for Romero and John Carmack comes off like the autistic genius that he is.

There is an audiobook of Masters of Doom available, so if you already listen to any podcasts about video games it will be a good listen.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Masters of Doom is a really cool book yeah, and Romero has said in interviews that everything in it is true.

If he has the ability to learn from his mistakes, maybe Daikatana was a really efficient way to make every single mistake imaginable to get them all out of his system at once :shobon:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Daikatana is basically what happens when you give all the money in the world to someone barely out of their 20s.

And thirding Masters of Doom. Great book. Along with Game Over it's probably the high watermark for books on the video game industry.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
a 10 hour campaign with 6 multiplayer maps is pretty poo poo imho.

Also lol @ trying to pass off Adrian Carmack as John Carmack.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

The problem was id's MO of Carmack coming up with a "holy poo poo" game engine that did things no one had ever seen before, and then Romero would apply his "ideas guy" schtick to them. Ion Storm was what happened when you removed Carmack from the equation gave an ideas guy with no real programming or business experience infinite money.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Skeleton Ape posted:

Ion Storm was what happened when you removed Carmack from the equation gave an ideas guy with no real programming or business experience infinite money.

Romero was a programming prodigy in his own right prior to the formation of iD. Carmack was just on such another level, though, that Romero doesn't get any credit for building the technology that made then all rich, and probably rightly so.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I don't remember where I read it but part of why Romero started actually seriously working on games as a job was because as he put it "I got my girlfriend pregnant and she wouldn't have an abortion so I needed money".

Yeah gently caress you pal. And then later on he had his Romanian Mail order bride who was like half his age.

I love Doom a lot and enjoy Quake a bit but Romero is a douchebag and I hope this crowdfunding bombs.

Course people were dumbfucks enough to give Richard Garriott and Chris Roberts fat stacks so nostalgia is money. I'm surprised that Manic Miner guy hasn't done one yet. That crazy gently caress would probably spend it all on weed like he did with his 80s Spectrum game money.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Copper Vein posted:

Romero was a programming prodigy in his own right prior to the formation of iD. Carmack was just on such another level, though, that Romero doesn't get any credit for building the technology that made then all rich, and probably rightly so.

Yeah that's not entirely fair, he did do a lot of stuff on his own before/during the Softdisk days. Once Carmack came on board, though, he was mostly just working on level editors and stuff as opposed to anything important that made the game work.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i think he should have let that baby momma fend for herself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

errr, this reminds me
is star citizen dead?

• Locked thread