Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Idols are good.

the market disagrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I read that the idol industry is super shady + sad but idk

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Help Im Alive posted:

We could start a whole discussion about it, but this is not the place for it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Renoistic posted:

FE# is kind of frustrating. The presentation is absolutely gorgeous for a JRPG. Whenever I watch a video of a fight sequence I'm all "I should buy it". Then I watch videos and realize I can't stand anything about the game apart from the concert battles, music, and menu design. It's like a very expensive and beautiful, shining turd. All the expensive presentation/animation getting wasted on such a boring, derivative game. It seems like there wasn't even a single original thought put into it. drat shame.

I don't really understand what you're getting at here.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Motto posted:

I don't really understand what you're getting at here.

he's getting at that he's not going to play or buy the game

hope this helps

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Just some idol thoughts.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

General Morden posted:

he's getting at that he's not going to play or buy the game

hope this helps

Yeah but I don't get what's offensive about the game that isn't contained in the battles and music. All the showbiz-pop-music stuff is as present there as anywhere else.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Help Im Alive posted:

Some of it is good. Some of it is bad. None of it requires you to fight demons, and that's the real crime here.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
dark souls: sins of the first idol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

#FE is like a good game, that i will play and enjoy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

i mean it is but so are most major industries, it's not like the idol industry is some hosed up machine that exists to torture people, it's just people trying to make money and that naturally sometimes leads to weird, hosed up things

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
In the next Splatoon the Squid Sisters will have broken up because one of them refuses to apologize on national TV for breaking the facade and having an actual lobster boyfriend.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

larry from spongebob?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

oddium posted:

i feel i've learned a lot from chulip actually

the rule of love are the rules of the universe

the rules of the universe are the rules of long life town

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

jivjov posted:

Time for another post about Nintendo Force Magazine!

Issue #21 is all about Mother 3, including new clay art for the cover, and a poster done by Matthew Taranto of Brawl in the Family fame.

Only a few days left to get on the print mailing list for this one! (Click here to go to their Patreon page)

Did the artist that draw this also do the Brawl in the Family comic? Looks the same.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Did the artist that draw this also do the Brawl in the Family comic? Looks the same.

how will you live this one down ...

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

jivjov posted:

Matthew Taranto of Brawl in the Family fame.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Motto posted:

Yeah but I don't get what's offensive about the game that isn't contained in the battles and music. All the showbiz-pop-music stuff is as present there as anywhere else.

In short, it's a mixed bag.

Good:
-Bright and colorful
-Good detailed animations
-Lots of nice details like the screens with the party members.
-Cheery music

Bad:
-Stock high school anime characters (with all that that entails) and characters swiped from other games.
-The story is completely uninteresting to me.
-(Seemingly) Celebrating the awful idol industry.
-Pretty-ed up boring Persona dungeons are still just boring Persona dungeons.
-Same-y battles.

In short, it's a pretty but creatively bankrupt game. Also, I'm completely sick of games with high schoolers. In the best case scenario, they're stupid and uninspired, but most often they are plain creepy no matter if they raise a number to 18 or not. IMHO, if they are completely out of ideas, they should have made another Catherine instead.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

So it's an atlus game?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Motto posted:

So it's an atlus game?

I guess that might be the problem yeah. Catherine was good, though. It focused on what they're good at with very little of the tedious stuff. It didn't hurt that the puzzle sections were actually really fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

In short, it's a pretty but creatively bankrupt game. Also, I'm completely sick of games with high schoolers. In the best case scenario, they're stupid and uninspired, but most often they are plain creepy no matter if they raise a number to 18 or not. IMHO, if they are completely out of ideas, they should have made another Catherine instead.

Claiming it's creatively bankrupt is pretty extreme, especially based off the fact you're looking at relatively limited information.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I like high school settings 'cause it's easier to relate to high schoolers and I like seeing them deal with adolescent problems

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think its fine to make a game about high schoolers IF and only if its not about looking at their boobs or up their skirts.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think its fine to make a game about high schoolers IF and only if its not about looking at their boobs or up their skirts.

This is somehow a controversial opinion in places

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

High school settings are overdone but they also kind of have a relevant reason for being overdone. High school is presented (fairly or not) in media as the transformative moment between childhood and adulthood. Characters in that age group are young enough to be presented as part of an upcoming generation who are dealing with a number of issues which tend to make for interesting melodrama to a wide range of audiences. There's some uncomfortable fetishization both of the actual age group and of high school as a 'magical time' that really is uncomfortable but also not going away anytime soon. College also fills a similar niche in a lot of stories but there's cultural differences in that case.

In addition SMT is basically about high school students and while it occasionally deviates from that it's pretty rare and their most successful entries have been about that so it's sort of odd to expect them to do something completely different. They have. (Strange Journey, for example) but when they're working on something specifically designed as a crossover it's more likely to try to emphasize specific elements than to do something completely off the wall.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Louisgod posted:

New Jersey for example.

Renoistic posted:

I guess that might be the problem yeah. Catherine was good, though. It focused on what they're good at with very little of the tedious stuff. It didn't hurt that the puzzle sections were actually really fun.

Catherine seems to be the exception for Atlus, not the norm.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idols are cool

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Endorph posted:

idols are cool

Louisgod posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

High school settings are overdone but they also kind of have a relevant reason for being overdone. High school is presented (fairly or not) in media as the transformative moment between childhood and adulthood. Characters in that age group are young enough to be presented as part of an upcoming generation who are dealing with a number of issues which tend to make for interesting melodrama to a wide range of audiences. There's some uncomfortable fetishization both of the actual age group and of high school as a 'magical time' that really is uncomfortable but also not going away anytime soon. College also fills a similar niche in a lot of stories but there's cultural differences in that case.

In addition SMT is basically about high school students and while it occasionally deviates from that it's pretty rare and their most successful entries have been about that so it's sort of odd to expect them to do something completely different. They have. (Strange Journey, for example) but when they're working on something specifically designed as a crossover it's more likely to try to emphasize specific elements than to do something completely off the wall.

Isn't it also partly that they're the only ones who "realistically" have time to go burn running around parallel worlds in Japanese society? Once you're in college or a job there your workload gets really busy doesn't it?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Endorph posted:

idols are cool

You should watch Perfect Blue, you would like it (seriously it's good).

https://youtu.be/FgSNldczQG4

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 25, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

oddium posted:

how will you live this one down ...

My eyes must of glazed over it, sorry.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

fixed so i can actually click the link

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I have watched perfect blue! It is a cool movie.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't give a hoot about idols one way or the other. The game just looks fun. Well, thanks.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Endorph posted:

I have watched perfect blue! It is a cool movie.

I had forgotten how great the movie looks. I need to rewatch it one of these days.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
#FE is about high-schoolers tackling the most universally relevant adult problem: finding and maintaining a job.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just want the song book, even though I have never sang before

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KingEffingFrost posted:

#FE is about high-schoolers tackling the most universally relevant adult problem: finding and maintaining a job.

Oh I don't want to play it any more

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

KingEffingFrost posted:

I thought games were supposed to be escapism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

I thought games were supposed to be escapism!

Successfully finding a job is escapism

• Locked thread