Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I just can't win in UFC 2. No matter what I do I feel like I tag people tons of times strong, and then they sneak a lucky punch which stuns me. Also I can't force anyone to submit.

im sorry to hear this ben rothwell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
That's basically the opposite of Ben Rothwell.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I just can't win in UFC 2. No matter what I do I feel like I tag people tons of times strong, and then they sneak a lucky punch which stuns me. Also I can't force anyone to submit.

In a match, a good powerful hit can KO you at any time. This is more likely if:

a) You're low on stamina
b) You're partway through a move animation when you get hit
c) The bodypart being hit is already damaged
d) You have relevant perks
e) You've just been parried
f) A combination of the above

If you're tagging people a lot, the issue might be that they're not very powerful attacks that can't take someone down in isolation. You can bring down anyone with enough of any type of strike, but you need to have flurries to get the knockdown - pumping up the damage on the bodypart with several shots one after the other. I've taken people down with body jabs and straights simply because they didn't block their body and allowed me to get a quick flurry of 10 or so shots in.

The players who go for lots of headhunting big shots tend to also be the dudes who aren't that good at the clinch or ground game, so practice those. Even if you're not good at submissions (which takes a little practice to learn how people like to get out of them, as well as decent submission skills to get quick gates) you can still KO people from GNP from a load of different positions. Hell even if you just wear them down, it helps you on points or on KOing them when you stand back up. With the clinch, you want to get to the Thai clinch and then throw elbows and knees, which are both pretty deadly. With good clinch power a single knee can knock your opponent down with a health event.

If you're in the standing game and don't want to clinch or go to ground, try to stick to counters. Hitting someone just as they've missed their attack is a lot more effective than the same attack hitting them when they're standing there doing nothing. Even more so if the attack was a big stamina draining one like a spinning kick or a flying knee.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Help I bought WWE 2k16 and the only wrestling game I've played since 2002 is WWF No Mercy. I have an Xbone controller coming in the mail so for now I'm making due with a Wii Classic Pro. I can't counter for poo poo and it feels like I spend a lot of time just laying down.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Adam Rose replacement found.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I can't counter for poo poo and it feels like I spend a lot of time just laying down.

Gotta pay your dues.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Thank you for your tips, I'm poo poo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

I'm still disappointed we lost a whole bunch of features with WWE '15, and who knows how long it'll take to get most/all of them back? WWE '13-'14 was the first time I felt I was playing the best available wrestling game since the days of Here Comes the Pain. I'm still designing new characters in WWE '14 and am off-and-on working on a storyline, but it sucks having to keep it all to myself.

I know it's silly/spergy, but does anybody else build whole rosters of original characters? I have one guy ("Mercury" Marcus Cortez) who's been in every wrestling game I've owned since WWF Warzone. :unsmith:

I sometimes import or try to create actual wrestlers but original characters are way more my focus.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Steve Vader posted:

"Feral 50s Housewife" is also a good gimmick.

Maybe I need to spend less time downloading The Killer Bees and The Young Stallions and more time making up stupid people to fight.

I have one female wrestler with a 50s gimmick- she was originally a babyface technician type but the game did one of those random "abandon a tag partner" scenes when she was teaming with Kaitlyn, so I turned her heel, had her join the faction they were fighting, and gave her JD gear.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Another tip is to not be afraid to try a thai whip from the clinch once in a while. Sure, the knees will likely get blocked, but you'll catch more people than you'd think off-guard and it can be pretty deadly.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Gaz-L posted:

Another tip is to not be afraid to try a thai whip from the clinch once in a while. Sure, the knees will likely get blocked, but you'll catch more people than you'd think off-guard and it can be pretty deadly.

The thai clinch is also good for getting people down to the ground. No-one expects you to go for the trip in thai.

Oh yeah, and it helps to know how grapple advantage works. Basically if you do good stuff, you'll be able to get the transition before your opponent. So if you're in the single arm clinch and want to get to thai, hit them in the head or knee them and THEN go for the transition. Similarly if they hit you, don't try and transition because they'll be able to do it faster. Hit them back (which stops their transition) and then block their attack back (most people just try and hit you in the head, so usually just block high) and THEN transition.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Help I bought WWE 2k16 and the only wrestling game I've played since 2002 is WWF No Mercy. I have an Xbone controller coming in the mail so for now I'm making due with a Wii Classic Pro. I can't counter for poo poo and it feels like I spend a lot of time just laying down.

Put the difficulty down until you get the counter timing right.

Laying down a lot could just be because you're getting your rear end kicked, but could also be not minding your stamina? Are you just going balls out with offense? I think you have to pace yourself more unless you've got a little tiny high stamina guy.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Update: First KO and submission last night, big thing seems to be two advanced punches mixed with kicks followed by a big take down, and avoiding brawling hockey style.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maxwell Lord posted:

I have one female wrestler with a 50s gimmick- she was originally a babyface technician type but the game did one of those random "abandon a tag partner" scenes when she was teaming with Kaitlyn, so I turned her heel, had her join the faction they were fighting, and gave her JD gear.

I had created a random character just to use as a jobber/fill out the roster, who was a heel. Then the game turned him face, and I thought that his attire should change to reflect that, and he's since become one of my favorite characters to play.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Spike Chunsoft posted a petition link for a new Fire Pro game.

https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/723047151933132800

guh apparently the fan who started the petition and got the company to re-tweet it has been signing it himself repeatedly. Not that I got my hopes up super high for this but why did he think that was a good idea..

Budget Dracula fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 21, 2016

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Have there been any more TEW announcements, or is it all quiet until it gets released (whenever that is)?

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

triplexpac posted:

Have there been any more TEW announcements, or is it all quiet until it gets released (whenever that is)?

Demo is out Monday

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

triplexpac posted:

Demo comes out next week, full game drops the week after

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbLZvXf8n78

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Looks janky even in the trailer but encouragingly different.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm glad non-WWE promotions are getting games again, but holy lord that looks janky.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

MDickie's newest game coming along nicely

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So this is what worker wages went into

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

TEW demo tomorrow, it should be out between 4pm-10pm GMT. So for Australians it'll be out by the time you wake up which is great for me

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes

Testekill posted:

TEW demo tomorrow, it should be out between 4pm-10pm GMT. So for Australians it'll be out by the time you wake up which is great for me

As an Australian thanks for this, now I don't have to haunt the website

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Glad to see fireballs are returning to wrestling games.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
TEW demo is out now

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533488

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thanks for the Link! I looked on Grey Dog's frontpage like 3 minutes ago and I couldn't find it, didn't think to check the forums.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
FYI the unnecessary title screen music returns this year.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Rodney the Piper posted:

FYI the unnecessary title screen music returns this year.

lol jesus christ it almost gave me a heart attack

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I got to play around with Extreme injury settings.

I had a fans bring the weapons match with crazy brawl and both guys got injured. It's exactly what I was hoping for. :allears:

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I started playing TEW a couple days ago. I think I have the basics down, but what's a good starting promotion in the Cornell-verse?

I started with ZEN, thinking I could book for their style pretty well. My shows weren't that great, though, and I couldn't pick up enough momentum to get a TV deal. Doing only one show a month is boring as heck.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

doctor iono posted:

I started playing TEW a couple days ago. I think I have the basics down, but what's a good starting promotion in the Cornell-verse?

I started with ZEN, thinking I could book for their style pretty well. My shows weren't that great, though, and I couldn't pick up enough momentum to get a TV deal. Doing only one show a month is boring as heck.

CZCW is pretty easy, MAW are a good choice to start off with a more traditional promotion, WLW is pretty great because it's Japanese Lucha, ZEN owns because it's C-Verse CHIKARA

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

doctor iono posted:

MAW is a nice workrate-based promotion. You've got Findlay O'Farraday, Cameron Vessey and a couple other guys that fit well at the top. Make sure you start building new stars when you get the chance, though, because eventually those guys will get snapped up by bigger names. They've got some cool gimmick events like the Tag Tournament and the Rip Chord Invitational to book around. Good room to expand. I also had success TV-wise with Australia Pro Wrestling, which IIRC is a more popularity-based promotion that's pretty comfortable in the Australian market.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 26, 2016

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Sooooo...thoughts on the new TEW?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

89 posted:

I just can't get into using the Cornellverse unfortunately. Going to have to wait for some real world scenarios to be released to give it a real shot.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

89 posted:

I haven't played much, but from what I have it seems like your ability to be a horrible, horrible person is enhanced, so A+ game.

That said, I'll actually do things with it once non-Cornellverse stuff is around.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

doctor iono posted:

It depends on your preferences, but I think companies below Cult tend to be good starting points. If you like to focus on matches, CZCW is a good American pick. If you want to go with Japanese stuff, 5 Star would be a good option. MAW has a better mix of matches and angles; NYCW is in the same boat, though it's a lower intensity product.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I don't know too much about the Cornellverse, but I hope I'll be able to figure out how to play the video game by the time the real world mods come out. The UI has changed a lot since EWR, which makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
How long should it be until the real world mods come out? I wanna try out 16 but I find it hard getting into a fictional wrestling world compared to fantasy-booking Ricochet vs. Okada at Wrestlemania