Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

colonel_korn posted:

He left because he got a job as the new Transporter. Kinda like how the original Mountain left to be in The Hobbit, except that old Daario actually did get to star in a movie instead of being replaced by a CGI orc.

At least he's Aquaman now.

e: Wait that's Drogo, nvm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

From the looks of it, The Mountain is just a guy in an ill-fitting helmet from now on. Is it even Hafthor under there now? I saw his name in the credits but the close-ups don't look like his eyes at all.

Yeah there were photos of kingslanding sets with him milling around being massive online a while ago.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) trains with the Three-Eyed Raven (Max von Sydow). In King’s Landing, Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) advises Tommen (Dean-Charles Chapman). Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) demands good news, but has to make his own. At Castle Black, the Night’s Watch stands behind Thorne (Owen Teale). Ramsay Bolton (Iwan Rheon) proposes a plan, and Balon Greyjoy (Patrick Malahide) entertains other proposals."

This episode, Dave Hill is a writer on the show.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

i hate that guy for leaving he was goddamn perfect.

I thought they were having problems with him, it's hearsay, but in one of the previous threads someone said he kept trying to inflate his role to appear more important. He was too difficult to work with and it wasn't worth worth keeping him since it was a minor role.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 25, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Original Mountain was cool, new Mountain is at least big. The middle mountain was loving terrible and one of the worst decisions of the show. He was a goddamn lamp post not a mountain.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

"Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) trains with the Three-Eyed Raven (Max von Sydow). In King’s Landing, Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) advises Tommen (Dean-Charles Chapman). Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) demands good news, but has to make his own. At Castle Black, the Night’s Watch stands behind Thorne (Owen Teale). Ramsay Bolton (Iwan Rheon) proposes a plan, and Balon Greyjoy (Patrick Malahide) entertains other proposals."

Maybe the Sand Snakes will kill Balon Greyjoy? Then Victarion can take over and kick the Iron Islands plot into high gear.

"You want the Moat Cailin but you need the bad pussy."

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 25, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe the Sand Snakes will kill Balon Greyjoy?
Sure, who the gently caress needs a sense of distance and space anyway.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

This episode, Dave Hill is a writer on the show.

So my thoughts are we might get tower of joy as the opening and the fight between aliser and davos as the ending keeping the rez to ep 3.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The new Daario isn't a bad actor per se but yeah he's nothing like the character he's based off of. And not just because of the lack of blue mustaches. The dude is just too likable and fair handed in the show. Book Daario is a huge unlikable dick to everyone but Dany.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The fourth and fifth books I found to be mediocre--there's a good story in there but it's buried in tons of bloat. But what the show is putting out makes them look like masterpieces. Maybe that was GRRM's plan with the show all along :D

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
I thought that episode was quite good. :ohdear:

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

You weren't alone. I enjoyed it and thought it was probably one of the more solid season premiers out of the bunch.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My interpretation of the Mellisandra scene is that she's having a crisis of faith and has discarded the necklace for a bit of introspection. Stannis died and then her second option, Jon, who she saw in the flames also died and she doesn't know wtf. My prediction is that they'll try to mirror his resurrection with Dany birthing her dragons in season 1 by having the nights watch burn his body with Mellisandra on top of the pyre (she's a witch). Mellisandra will be despondent and passive about the whole thing until she sees something in the flames and starts chanting, after which the flames flare up and when it dies down there is Jon, Azor Ahai reborn. Mellisandra will give her life for the lord of light in a final show of piety and devotion.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

I went and looked at the other thread and they seemed to like it. A lot of people were saying they laughed at the dothraki skit which this thread hated.

Both threads seemed to be obsessed with the disappearing dogs though which I find weird. It was a pretty inconsequential continuity error, like who really cares.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Yeah, aside from the atrocity of Dorne, I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

tin can made man posted:

Yeah, if anything they should be burning the body but are instead defending it because the plot demands it. It's about as bad and lazy as poisoning Myrcella in one way in one episode, then killing Trystane in a different way the next, despite them being in the same place/circumstances as each other.

Would've been baller as gently caress if the body was thrown into a funeral pyre and didn't burn

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
What do you guys think about the "Melisandre is the Crone, part of The Seven" suggestion that I hear a lot atm? She's supposed to be part of a godly force, the Seven, that, when combined, can defeat the White Walkers. Their bearers don't know that they are part of it, but it's suggested they are Melisandre, Dany, Sansa etc.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Jack the Stripper posted:

What do you guys think about the "Melisandre is the Crone, part of The Seven" suggestion that I hear a lot atm? She's supposed to be part of a godly force, the Seven, that, when combined, can defeat the White Walkers. Their bearers don't know that they are part of it, but it's suggested they are Melisandre, Dany, Sansa etc.
I don't think that sounds like it would really fit with the rest of the series or GRRM's themes at all.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sansa ain't no Maiden in the show

(because of the rapes)

Whatever Captain Planet they're supposed to summon isn't gonna work without her

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kind of silly. There's lots of little parallels between for ex. gods and heroes from the past and characters everywhere, but they're just there for literary reasons or for observant readers to wink about, not key parts of the plot.

My favorite Seven comparison was always the Stark family - Father Ned, Mother Cat, Warrior Rob, Maiden Sansa, Stranger Arya. The only reason it isn't absolutely perfect is that it gets weird when you get to Bran and Rickon; Bran could be the Smith (since he's named after Bran the Builder) or the Crone (since he's a wizard), while Rickon isn't enough of a character to be either.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Well I mean you can get a few parallels there, here's what I got off the top of my head.

The Father: No idea.
The Mother: Daenaris
The Warrior: Jon Snow
The Maiden: Sansa
The Smith: Gendry doesn't fit. You could make an argument for Tyrion if you discount actual smithing and consider Tyrion someone who labors for the realm.
The Crone: Mellisandra
The Stranger: Arya

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've seen some theories that she's Bloodraven's half-sister or his daughter. With the show confirming that she's old as gently caress, those become more likely.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i still don't like the magic poo poo.

Speaking of which, what did Varys ever do with the guy who burned his junk?

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

I don't think that sounds like it would really fit with the rest of the series or GRRM's themes at all.

It definitely is far fetched, but pretty much each main character brings something unique to the table, right? From the wiki;

"Statues of the Seven in the Great Sept of Baelor. From left to right: the Crone (holding a lantern), the Warrior (holding swords), the Mother (with open arms of mercy), the Father (holding scales of justice), the Maiden (a nude young woman), the Smith (at lower right facing away from the camera, but visibly holding a blacksmith's hammer), and the Stranger (at lower left, not clearly visible; the Stranger represents death and the unknown, so his statue faces away from the room, towards the wall)."

Crone = Melisandre, guiding the people towards the real danger
Warrior = Jon, fighting for a new day
Mother = Could be Sansa with regards to the people of the world that shitted on her so much
Father = Tyrion or even Varys, the only real players in the game that truly care about it
Maiden = Someone pure, clean of all sins. Not sure about this one, but maybe, maybe, Cersei will make such a 360 after losing all of her children and possibly even Jaime that she'll achieve this form.
Smith = A person that's building something anew, Daenerys reforging Essos into a more pleasant world.
Stranger = Arya, no question

I find the similarities kinda striking. But of course that could be me being biased by the interesting idea behind it. :)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maiden = Someone pure, clean of all sins. Not sure about this one, but maybe, maybe, Cersei will make such a 360 after losing all of her children and possibly even Jaime that she'll achieve this form.

I forgot about the hound. He could be the maiden after he's found religion.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Brienne could be the maiden . I don't remember if she was supposed to be a virgin, but she is definitely the most "pure" character

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 26, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Was the masked lady in Qarth that talked to Jorah like twice in season 2 ever supposed to be something

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

I forgot about the hound. He could be the maiden after he's found religion.

The hound? Yeah that can be a possibility as well. Interested to see him this season.

Or maybe the maiden will be the High Sparrow, actually giving religion a good rub for a change.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Was Rory McCann spotted in any of the filming locations?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
From the "good thread"

Seaniqua posted:

Roose Bolton's trusted dog trainer, Ser Dogg Trayneer, held tightly onto the leashes of his trusty hounds. They'd just led his party to Sansa and Reek, and Ser Trayneer's pride was booming.

That pride was cut short, though, as he gazed upward at Brienne of Tarth upon her destrier. The lady giant's longsword made quick work of two of Dogg's comrades. Immediately, he thought of the hounds.

"This won't be good for the hounds," the mighty Dog Knight whispered to himself. He quickly knelt down to speak to his precious dog friends. "Dog friends, run back to the Bolton stronghold. Alert them of our emergency! Run! Run for your own good!"

With a tear running down his toothless face, Ser Trayneer loosened his grip on the leashes and his hounds quickly vanished into the forest.

Brienne, noticing Dogg's actions, asked "Won't everyone wonder where the dogs went when they find your bodies?"

Ser Trayneer replied, "What? No... who cares?" Then Brienne cut him up real good.

The dogs drowned in the cold river and were never heard of again.

Also, a lot of people are calling bullshit on the whole Dorne plot, it doesn't takes to be a book reader to realize it makes no sense

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Raping Cersei back in S3 sure was something, but when it comes to ignoring your own character development, one has to admire the gall of the writers making Jaime have the exact same "we're the only ones who matter" conversation as in Season 1

That, Davos and the Generic Crows metagaming their way to a last stand on Jon Snow's totally not-ressurectable corpse, the death of a Great House in 15 un-dramatic seconds, and the bizarrely inefficient "poison one person, then send assassins to kill the other" plot beats are all the episode's biggest sins, imo, and all are due to just straight up lazy writing. Whoever mentioned bullet points, with the writers having no clue or just straight up not caring how they reach them, is spot-on.

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 26, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

It definitely is far fetched, but pretty much each main character brings something unique to the table, right? From the wiki;

"Statues of the Seven in the Great Sept of Baelor. From left to right: the Crone (holding a lantern), the Warrior (holding swords), the Mother (with open arms of mercy), the Father (holding scales of justice), the Maiden (a nude young woman), the Smith (at lower right facing away from the camera, but visibly holding a blacksmith's hammer), and the Stranger (at lower left, not clearly visible; the Stranger represents death and the unknown, so his statue faces away from the room, towards the wall)."

Crone = Melisandre, guiding the people towards the real danger
Warrior = Jon, fighting for a new day
Mother = Could be Sansa with regards to the people of the world that shitted on her so much
Father = Tyrion or even Varys, the only real players in the game that truly care about it
Smith = A person that's building something anew, Daenerys reforging Essos into a more pleasant world.
Stranger = Arya, no question

I find the similarities kinda striking. But of course that could be me being biased by the interesting idea behind it. :)

I'd say Brienne is a good fit for the maiden. Definitely has the Joan of Arc thing going for her.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Lloyd Boner posted:

Yeah, aside from the atrocity of Dorne, I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.

Yeah I liked it too. I was confused as hell about the whole sand snakes being on the boat all along thing, and Dorne in general just plain sucked, but other than that it was fine. Not the best episode but definitely not a bad one.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Why didn't they just kill Jaime, wipe out the whole ship

I mean you already killed myrcella and trystane on the boat, are you going to make the Lannisters even angrier by killing Jaime or what

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I think it's funny they spent the time and effort to poison Mrycella but when it came to Trystane and Doran they just straight up stab them.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I mean I guess the only reason they didn't slaughter everyone at the dock then turn around and kill Doran is that they had to wait for popular support from the redshirts of Dorne. Like, they're clearly loyal to the Martells when they seize the Sand Snakes, but Obara's "I fight for Dorne, who do you fight for?" got a few of them thinking, then once they proved how bad rear end they were at poisoning a princess the rest were on board. Then, once they had popular support they just had to wait for Cersei's "uhh my daughters dead??" letter to kill Doran and greenlight the Trystane hit via priority express raven.

I know that makes no sense but neither does what actually happened onscreen, so

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Was the masked lady in Qarth that talked to Jorah like twice in season 2 ever supposed to be something

Quaithe is still around in the books, she doesn't serve a huge role, she mainly pops up to deliver cryptic warnings and poo poo. I have no loving idea why they even put her in the show, her scenes are utterly bizarre and out of place.

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

It's not the end of Dorne, it's just the end of the only good actor in the Dorne plot line. Now we'll get a whole season of bad pussy trying to start a dumb war.

You want the good actors but you need the bad plotlines.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well talk about bad writing why would the dorne ship guys not turn back and say hey your sister in law just killed my fiancé and sister of the King of westeros maybe put her back in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

computer parts posted:

Is there some revelation later on that relies on her being secretly old? Even if there is, do we the audience fare better because we know ahead of time she's old? Or is it just a shocking scene to end your episode on?

At this point, there's no reason to believe it won't have some significance down the line and plenty of potential reasons as to why they showed it even if it isn't directly explained (which won't happen because viewers are dumb). But of course, all drama series need to end on some sort of cliffhanger or my ADD won't let me tune in the following week.

• Locked thread