Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lower Grand Coulee by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I like your work with darker subjects. This one doesn't jump for me as much, but I like it a lot.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Amsterdam Centraal Station
by Mate Nagy, on Flickr

Kesellő, Bodajk, Hungary
by Mate Nagy, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ddiddles posted:

It's cool dude, I'm also terrible at this, trying to get better though.

Introduced a ton of noise trying to get a featureless blown out sky to come back :(

Are you using a tripod? Shoot an exposure for the sky and one for the foreground/rest of the photo and blend them (manually, don't use an automated HDR feature). It would also help you get a larger DOF field if you want to get more things in focus.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Dread Head posted:

Are you using a tripod? Shoot an exposure for the sky and one for the foreground/rest of the photo and blend them (manually, don't use an automated HDR feature). It would also help you get a larger DOF field if you want to get more things in focus.

I'm using a Gorillapod because of it's small size, fits in a carryon sized backpack I'll be using for traveling. Might try to find a tripod that breaks down small though, the gorillapod is nice, but being locked to that height if you don't have something to wrap it around kind of sucks.

I did do a few shots that were autobracketed +/- 1ev, and tried a quick mix using the photoshop merge function, but I'm definitely going to try and merge them manually. Can you do all of that in lightroom? Or do I manually combine the photos and import the psd into lightroom?

Thanks for the tips.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ddiddles posted:

I'm using a Gorillapod because of it's small size, fits in a carryon sized backpack I'll be using for traveling. Might try to find a tripod that breaks down small though, the gorillapod is nice, but being locked to that height if you don't have something to wrap it around kind of sucks.

I did do a few shots that were autobracketed +/- 1ev, and tried a quick mix using the photoshop merge function, but I'm definitely going to try and merge them manually. Can you do all of that in lightroom? Or do I manually combine the photos and import the psd into lightroom?

Thanks for the tips.

I am not sure if you can do it in lightroom, you used to not be able to so I am just used to doing it in photoshop. I know there have been some updates that may have added that functionality in but I am just used to doing it in photoshop so have not investigated.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Dread Head posted:

I am not sure if you can do it in lightroom, you used to not be able to so I am just used to doing it in photoshop. I know there have been some updates that may have added that functionality in but I am just used to doing it in photoshop so have not investigated.

Watched a few youtube videos on it and it seems pretty straight forward, thanks man!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Helen Highwater posted:

Soviet Brutalism shot with a Soviet 35mm SLR.

Zenit-32.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

And with a Soviet medium format camera.

Hotel Salyut by Iain Compton, on Flickr

You take some really cool shots of some cool places with awesome gear, but I think your photos would be a lot better if you just put a tiny bit more thought into the composition. Like that second one, that photo would be pretty drat awesome if it wasn't for the one and a half cars in the bottom of the frame that are way darker than the rest of the photo and just generally kill the shot. And in the first one, if it was possible, moving so that building in the corner wasn't there would make it a much stronger shot as well.

Hopefully this unsolicited advice isn't taken the wrong way, I do like your photos, it's just that I've noticed on a bunch of them if you just paid a tiny bit more attention to the details before taking them they'd be a lot stronger :)

ape
Jul 20, 2009

ape fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 24, 2016

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

That has a nice look. I'd probably have cropped it a bit closer to get rid of the stairs to the right. But then I prefer simplicity.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

You take some really cool shots of some cool places with awesome gear, but I think your photos would be a lot better if you just put a tiny bit more thought into the composition. Like that second one, that photo would be pretty drat awesome if it wasn't for the one and a half cars in the bottom of the frame that are way darker than the rest of the photo and just generally kill the shot. And in the first one, if it was possible, moving so that building in the corner wasn't there would make it a much stronger shot as well.

Hopefully this unsolicited advice isn't taken the wrong way, I do like your photos, it's just that I've noticed on a bunch of them if you just paid a tiny bit more attention to the details before taking them they'd be a lot stronger :)

I appreciate the advice and I know that composition is definitely a weakspot of mine. I'm learning a lot from shooting film after being all digital all the time and composition is pretty much at the bottom of my mental checklist these days. I'm so concerned with getting the focus, exposure and so on right that I don't always think about the actual picture as much as I ought to.

The apartment block is definitely one that would have benefitted from moving around a bit more but the Salyut hotel had to be taken from pretty much that exact spot to avoid entangling with streetlights, overhead wires and billboards. I guess a crop would fix it but, for some reason, cropping film seems wrong to me.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Steaks Dinners Seafoods by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

I feel like a lot of my pictures are getting soft. This is a combo of three separate photos taken horizontally, all at 1/160, f/3.5 through a Canon 50 mm, ISO 200. I didn't have time to really get my feet and posture set so there may have been some movement, but I've seen this low quality on 90% of my recent shots.

Is it just time to upgrade my rebel xs from 7 years ago, and I'll be stuck at this quality until that upgrade? Or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I feel like a lot of my pictures are getting soft. This is a combo of three separate photos taken horizontally, all at 1/160, f/3.5 through a Canon 50 mm, ISO 200. I didn't have time to really get my feet and posture set so there may have been some movement, but I've seen this low quality on 90% of my recent shots.

Is it just time to upgrade my rebel xs from 7 years ago, and I'll be stuck at this quality until that upgrade? Or is there something I'm doing wrong?

close your aperture. with your current setting, you're only focusing on one small part of the image you're trying to take. at 3.5, even at the distance you're standing, the dof is too narrow to have all parts of the frame totally in focus, which is what i assume you're trying to accomplish. this can easily be mistaken for faulty gear, but as we have all learned at one point in time, is actually operator error. it is not that your camera or lens are "soft," you're just not using a setting that will allow for the sharp results across the frame that you're looking for.

Tony Two Bapes fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 24, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ape
Jul 20, 2009

ape fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 24, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Slide film loving rules man.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Are there any good resources to read or watch for tips on composing good architecture photography? I'm going to Russia (ie: Moscow and St. P) and the Baltics for a month and want to try and take better photos while I'm out there.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Harvard by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Charles River by Esa Foto, on Flickr

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Had a good time shooting tonight, really good time.

East Fork-0253.jpg by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

East Fork-0260.jpg by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

That multiple exposure trick is pretty handy. Decently happy with how this turned out.

Edit:

There was also a huge dead beaver right next to me for some reason.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 25, 2016

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bank Tavern by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

I feel like this photo is judging me.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Copenhagen

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Backyard black and white by Esa Foto, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wellington by Euan Torstonson, on Flickr

e: and an old one I just got around to uploading

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 26, 2016

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

I got a Sigma Quattro DP2 realllly cheap so gave it a spin yesterday. I don't like shooting digital much for landscapes but the image quality on this camera is outstanding, pretty close to my MF scans and the clunky handling is just like shooting a film camera.

deaders fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 26, 2016

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Deaders what city do you live in?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

deaders posted:

I got a Sigma Quattro DP2 realllly cheap so gave it a spin yesterday. I don't like shooting digital much for landscapes but the image quality on this camera is outstanding, pretty close to my MF scans and the clunky handling is just like shooting a film camera.

They need to turn that sensor into a 6x6 back for my 500CM...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

deaders posted:

This is my favorite image from you in ages (ignoring absence).

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Dissociation by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Deaders what city do you live in?

Perth, why?

alkanphel posted:

They need to turn that sensor into a 6x6 back for my 500CM...

The sensor is great. I think we are pretty close to an affordable digital alternative to medium format. The camera only cost me $300 as well and it is really well made.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

This is my favorite image from you in ages (ignoring absence).

Thanks!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

deaders posted:

Perth, why?

The sensor is great. I think we are pretty close to an affordable digital alternative to medium format. The camera only cost me $300 as well and it is really well made.

Thanks!

Was just wondering when I saw your most recent pics on flickr are from towns in WA. I thought you were Tasmanian

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I thought you were Tasmanian

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Actual Tasmanian spotted.

I only have one head.