Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That was the worst part of House of Cards. Like any lawyer would ever turn down a SCOTUS position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm doing some research and St Louis sounds like a really lovely place where people shoot each other a lot.

Doesn't that some up Detroit also?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It sums up most cities in the US

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm doing some research and St Louis sounds like a really lovely place where people shoot each other a lot.

What are the conditions of that scholarship you got? Something to consider when I'd imagine your Canadian schools are much cheaper and you actively do not want to work in the US. What's the game plan to accomplish that from STL?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

What are the conditions of that scholarship you got? Something to consider when I'd imagine your Canadian schools are much cheaper and you actively do not want to work in the US. What's the game plan to accomplish that from STL?

My WUSTL scholarship offer had very few strings, like maybe a 2.5 average or something.
T1 schools don't tend to pull the same scholarship bullshit that TTTs do. My Iowa and Minnesota scholarship offers also had GPA requirements at or below the curve.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 24, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
No requirements as far as I can tell other than full time residency.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
My school had a pretty easy requirement for scholarship, 2.5 I think as well. If you get below the requirement might as well drop out anyways, wasting your time/money at that point

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

EwokEntourage posted:

My school had a pretty easy requirement for scholarship, 2.5 I think as well. If you get below the requirement might as well drop out anyways, wasting your time/money at that point

What? At my school a sub 2.5 GPA landed you on academic probation

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Emanuel Collective posted:

Pretty sure the qualification to keep it is good standing Academically, so sounds about right

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Same at Illinois, scholarship is guaranteed unless 1) you go on academic probation (which is 2.0 on a 3.2 curve) or 2) rauner shuts down all colleges in the state.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Yoda posted:

Same at Illinois, scholarship is guaranteed unless 1) you go on academic probation (which is 2.0 on a 3.2 curve) or 2) rauner shuts down all colleges in the state.

Rauner's actually going to do that, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Emanuel Collective posted:

It turns out that good law schools aren't actively trying to gently caress students out of scholarship money.
Law school's still a scam there, but far less so.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
So I'm thinking about law school. About 7-8 months ago I realized my line of work (Government contracting) is not what I want to do even though I'm good at it and could make a lot of money, and I entered career crisis mode and have been trying to figure out what the gently caress to do with my life. As a result of reading a lot of poo poo in my spare time at work and at home about various meeting points between copyright, music distribution (and arts in general), law, technology, and policy, and even going so far as to take a day off work and attend a symposium hosted by the US Copyright Office and George Mason's law school in DC last week, I've been thinking that maybe law school might not be a terrible idea in my case. I still am not sure what exactly I could expect to do for work after law school, but I'm interested in doing something where I could help artists/creators/entrepreneurs/whatever protect their intellectual property and other legal and economic interests. I feel like that's kind of specific but also kind of broad and could end up being a lot of things.

Kind of a subjective question here, but does that sound like a decent enough reason to consider law school? I'm in the process of trying to talk to professors in IP programs at the law schools in DC, so I haven't thought everything through yet, but is anyone reading this thinking, "Oh god you poor bastard please do not pursue that," any more than usual when they hear someone is considering law school? At least it's an answer to the question of "Why?"

I would also probably take a live class to prepare for the LSAT, but I've never taken a practice test and have no idea how I'd do. I'm coming up on 7 years out of undergrad, and my GPA was a 3.33 as a business major, which isn't terrible, but I don't know if it matters less at my age than it would right out of undergrad.

I definitely wouldn't go to any school unless it was mostly paid for, and I'd probably consider a lot of lower tier 1 and some tier 2 schools. With my GPA and some good letters of recommendation, what LSAT score would I need to shoot for in order to give myself a good chance to get scholarships?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I had a 3.2 gpa and a 162 lsat and I got a half ride, but then so did most people in my class I think, at a lower end of T1 private school.

I had an offer to go to what is I think a t3 school, ranked somewhere 100-110 and it would have be $9k total for 3 years of tuition.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hoping to go into copyright/trademark without a way to sit for the parent bar is a fool's errand

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
And if you can sit for the patent bar you can just get into patents without a law degree. Then you can find out whether you enjoy this poo poo.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Hoping to go into copyright/trademark without a way to sit for the parent bar is a fool's errand

This is a conversation I have had repeatedly.

"What do you do?"
"I'm an IP lawyer."
"Oh so like copyrights and trademarks?"
"No because there's no actual money in those. That's like 1% of my time. The rest of the time is patents."

That's an accurate reflection of my practice, but it's also an accurate reflection of being an IP lawyer - if you want a job, it's almost certainly going to involve patent law.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My wife's firm actually does a lot of trademark with and I'm jealous af

Trademark law seems like a lot of fun

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

That's actually a bad gpa.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kalman posted:

That's an accurate reflection of my practice, but it's also an accurate reflection of being an IP lawyer - if you want a job, it's almost certainly going to involve patent law.

nthing this, I had broadly the same goal but it is alarmingly difficult (in my experience, which is Canadian so may differ) to get hired for IP law jobs without an undergraduate in some kind of STEM field (mostly because they all deal heavily with patent). I ended up landing in regulatory law, which is mostly tolerable because it's regulating a field I'm heavily interested in, but this isn't exactly a dependable plan.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

My wife's firm actually does a lot of trademark with and I'm jealous af

Trademark law seems like a lot of fun

What was her background before law school?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

She's a paralegal if I recall correctly.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
In case you haven't been paying attention: DON'T loving GO TO LAW SCHOOL.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Take the next three years and backpack the Andes or something. It costs less, and won't immolate your respect for life.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

N'thing what everyone else said. You don't get to help "artists/entrepreneurs/investors/whatever" protect their IP unless: (a) you have a STEM degree, sit for the patent bar, and work to protect "entrepreneurs/investors" in that field, and by that I mean find companies to shill for and crush other small businesses like bugs, or (b) you end up at a generic law firm doing generic legal work except oh wait one of your clients happens to have money and be one of those folks who has the ability to hire you. But to do that, you have to do the standard law career bullshit.

As for useful advice? Go talk to some young associates at law firms who do the kind of work you want to do. See what their day is like. (Oh wait, that's this thread) Law professors don't know anything about actual practice these days.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

What was her background before law school?

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

She's a paralegal if I recall correctly.

Yeah, with a MS in Chemistry and appeasement one of the two named partners' wife is friend with my mom so I keep telling her to take the patent bar because seems like it'd be easy mode to get a job as an agent there.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

So even at the rare firm that actually does what you want to do, whodat, the paralegals have science masters degrees. Do you see the problem?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

So even at the rare firm that actually does what you want to do, whodat, the paralegals have science masters degrees. Do you see the problem?

Am I the only one who thinks its weird someone with a masters in Chem is a paralegal? I know the job market sucks for chemists (some of my friends are in that field) but drat.

And yea, even at the ultra rare trademark shop, why wouldn't they hire someone who can sit for the patent bar just in case they need it in the future. Some acquaintances of mine had that happen - just the ability to sit was enough to open doors to employment that I couldn't get through.

And speaking of employment, I'm slowly creeping up on 100 job applications since my layoff! Only the one interview the first week, at a firm that didn't realize I'd been let go. I guess a gap in employment = RIP what little career I had, I'm starting to get pretty down/bitter about this.

On a more positive note, how do y'all/yinze/youse/you guys use Linkedin? I keep being told to use it, but I don't know what I'd put on there other than my resume. At one point I was close to typing up a paragraph about how I'm good with technology despite not having a degree in it, for example working on a raspberry pi, etc - in the hope that this could help me with backend database/law type jobs I see pop up. But is this pointless? I feel real frustrated in what linkedin's use case is for someone that is applying to jobs rather than having a profile in case someone wants to recruit them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So how hard do you think it will be to find some part time work with no benefits once I pass the bar next year?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

So how hard do you think it will be to find some part time work with no benefits once I pass the bar next year?

Are you in a major city? If so not too hard to do doc review. It'll be part time but you won't know your schedule, but if you play it right you can take a lot of funemployment vacations between projects. One year I did something like 6-7 really great trips (kayaking in isle royale, kayaking in pictured rocks lakeshore, camping at rocky mountain np, checking out devils tower/mt rushmore/badlands/etc) and it was probably the peak of my career :I

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Is doc review about the only part time type stuff that comes up?

Also, why not go back to something like that? Find something you actually enjoy doing and do that. Do you have a massive debt load still chilling over your head?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Besides the fact that doc review is as interesting as a job mowing lawns, only less, so, it's the uncertainty. When you're single it's great to take trips, but making 50k a year by working 12 hour shifts for 3 days, then having 3 weeks off, then a 2 week period of work, then back to nothing, ad nauseum is really terrible. The even sadder thing is that doc review wages were higher when I was doing it ('09-12) than they are now, and were much higher pre crash. Sooner or later the only way to make it viable is going to be unionization which will be a hilarious failure for the most part.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is doc review about the only part time type stuff that comes up?

Also, why not go back to something like that? Find something you actually enjoy doing and do that. Do you have a massive debt load still chilling over your head?

Governments have part time lawyers, but those spots tend to go to people who've been there for a while and want a break. They do come with benefits though.

I did do some part time work for a local criminal appeals attorney doing research and writing when I was out of law school.

You can also do some food law type stuff (misdo criminal, wills and trusts, traffic, restraining orders) part time. Caveat is you may be IAC for a while.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mastershakeman posted:

Am I the only one who thinks its weird someone with a masters in Chem is a paralegal? I know the job market sucks for chemists (some of my friends are in that field) but drat.

$90k+ really flexible hours

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Kalman posted:

This is a conversation I have had repeatedly.

"What do you do?"
"I'm an IP lawyer."
"Oh so like copyrights and trademarks?"
"No because there's no actual money in those. That's like 1% of my time. The rest of the time is patents."

Is it interesting?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

mastershakeman posted:

Besides the fact that doc review is as interesting as a job mowing lawns, only less, so, it's the uncertainty. When you're single it's great to take trips, but making 50k a year by working 12 hour shifts for 3 days, then having 3 weeks off, then a 2 week period of work, then back to nothing, ad nauseum is really terrible. The even sadder thing is that doc review wages were higher when I was doing it ('09-12) than they are now, and were much higher pre crash. Sooner or later the only way to make it viable is going to be unionization which will be a hilarious failure for the most part.

Is doc review even that lucrative anymore? I thought the pace of e-discovery technology adoption had really started cutting in to those jobs. Plus computer software doesn't sue you for unpaid overtime.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

calvus posted:

Is it interesting?

I mean, I like it, but I also mostly like working in BigLaw so I might not be the best metric for how normal people feel about it.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Kalman posted:

I mean, I like it, but I also mostly like working in BigLaw so I might not be the best metric for how normal people feel about it.

What do you like about it?

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

mastershakeman posted:

On a more positive note, how do y'all/yinze/youse/you guys use Linkedin? I keep being told to use it, but I don't know what I'd put on there other than my resume. At one point I was close to typing up a paragraph about how I'm good with technology despite not having a degree in it, for example working on a raspberry pi, etc - in the hope that this could help me with backend database/law type jobs I see pop up. But is this pointless? I feel real frustrated in what linkedin's use case is for someone that is applying to jobs rather than having a profile in case someone wants to recruit them.

The entire point of Linkedin is purely to have it as a resumeish link that appears at or near the top of a google search targeted at your name.

Its considered kinda weird if you don't have one and thats the main thing- there really isn't much more than that for most everyone and I am pretty convinced anyone saying otherwise is one of Linkedins employees or a "Thinkfluencer" trying to sell you something.

Very very occasionally Ive linkedin messaged someone purely to get their other newer contact information. Ive maybe seen one link on there that was informative and not just corporate press release stuff. The amount of spam and calls to action on the website is horrendous. Dont use the Linkedin app on your phone, this is the equivalent of licking a keyboard on a public computer terminal.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

calvus posted:

What do you like about it?

I have interesting cases where I get a decent amount of substantive responsibility (even as a junior associate, I was responsible for developing our case strategies), I like my coworkers, and I have basically never had to do doc review.

(Also I like the paycheck.)