Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hyperion: for when you want the last bullet in your clip to hit home.
Torgue: for when you want an explosion.
Tediore: for when you want a gun.

Bandit: fore when u want a rely gud gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heh, reminds me of how Dopple-Jack's ultimate right-hand skill was something that let him alter the properties of weapons based on which ones he swapped from and their brands. Swap from a Hyperion weapon, new one has better aim. Swap from a Torgue, new one has explosive damage. Swap from a Maliwan, new one shoots additional elemental stuff. And so on. Complicated and interesting.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
If Borderlands 3 incorporates Red Faction style environmental destruction, Tediore would make a good antagonist. The crappy cheap prefab facilities they would build would be torn to pieces by the kind of firepower a vault hunter puts out.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Tediore facilities are designed to self-destruct once you've killed everyone inside. :v:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Hostile V posted:

Hyperion: for when you want the last bullet in your clip to hit home.

Hyperion guns are annoying to use but they make drat fine sniper rifles. They're probably tied with Maliwan for my second-favorite rifle manufacturer. (Jakobs is first, with the caveat that I'll take even a Vladof or Dahl rifle over a bolt-action Jakobs).

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm pretty sure that happened before they all died from an explosion during the turkey DLC in 2.

So he technically owns the company again. By virtue of designing more explosive guns to sell.

The Borderlands Wiki doesn't actually have much info on what actually happened during that DLC, which is why I was waffling so much on if Torgue counts in the 'had a major disaster happen' pile.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 24, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

If it put Mr. Torgue back in charge, I don't think we can technically call it a "disaster".

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Crasical posted:

Hyperion guns are annoying to use but they make drat fine sniper rifles. They're probably tied with Maliwan for my second-favorite rifle manufacturer. (Jakobs is first, with the caveat that I'll take even a Vladof or Dahl rifle over a bolt-action Jakobs).

God I loved Vladof snipers. As long as you had fast enough target acquisition to take advantage of the fire rate, and could replace them often enough (because you'd outlevel one-shot kill damage faster than with a Jakobs), you could murder scores of bandits so goddamn fast.

Jakobs revolver all day every day, though. Just something about that POP! sound they had that makes me warm all over. Maybe it's the memories of shooting bandits in the face so hard their entire body explodes. :allears:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

IAmTheRad posted:

Aren't there Tediore rocket launchers already?

I kinda like how the Tediore rocket launches behave like rockets themselves when you reload-launch them. Slower, less accurate rockets than the Borderlands normal.

Seriously, the horrible accuracy of Borderlands rocket launchers turns me off from ever using them. Maybe if the rockets corrected back towards where you'd aimed them, they would be tolerable to use against big targets at long distance. As it stands I can barely hit a Constructor's eye with any rocket, and they rarely do enough damage to be worth lining up the shot.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
That's why I still use the Bandit launcher I got that fires 6 rockets at the cost of one. Who cares about accuracy when you can just carpet bomb the area? :v:

drak0nis
Feb 28, 2016
I've come across two cases where rocket launchers are incredibly useful:

a) in borderlands 2, if you invest in Maya's Restoration skill, shooting teammates and npcs with a rocket or two will fully heal them.

b) in the presequel, playing as Athena, pull out your shield and fire a rocket at your feet. Boom, shield fully charged and ready to cave in some enemy's head.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rocket launchers are really handy as Krieg if you have the ability that gives you health for overkilling enemies. Blow 'em up with a rocket launcher, free health! He doesn't have a lot of health recovery mechanics that don't also involve putting him in danger (lighting himself/others on fire, going berserk with his action skill) so it's nice.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You forgot playing as brick in borderlands 1 thanks to his ability to throw them around willy nilly. When you're rocking 4 different element launchers as your weapon set your skill rank in them got high enough that they were decently accurate.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So I had a bit of a problem to solve when deciding where to split the last two videos. I didn't want to interrupt the final fight against the Traveler since a lot of it flows pretty well together... But at the same time there is upwards of an hour of gameplay left and having one single episode dedicated to all that felt a little bit like overkill. Really didn't want to ask people to commit that much time into watching a video after having mostly 20-30 minute videos up until now, not to mention it would look weird if episode 5 was the only episode with four videos instead of five. So, I had to find a splitting point I was comfortable with. I'm not 100% in love with it, but I'm okay with it and I hope you guys are too!

j/k, have the ending to the fight too since I love u guys too much

That's all for now! That's the whole game. I hope you enjoy it. I'll likely have more things to say when I'm not phone posting at work on my break. I still have a bonus video or two to make but I hope you all loved this game as much as I do~

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
oh my loving god. I'm only 15 minutes in oh my loving god.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

This is exactly how I was hoping things would go back when you asked the thread to vote on Felix's fate in episode 1.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

:thurman:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I already thought this game was amazing by episode 4, but the moment Gortys said "you have to drive" I just stared at the screen for a couple minutes because I couldn't believe that was happening, and when they pull the power rangers bit I completely lost my poo poo. That took it from 'just' amazing to being one of my favourite games.

It's nice to see the little changes in the game; for example Sasha was way snippier to Rhys in Kaubocks' playthrough compared to mine.

Wiseblood posted:

This is exactly how I was hoping things would go back when you asked the thread to vote on Felix's fate in episode 1.
I let Felix eat the bomb back in Ep.1, so I never got to see that bit. I feel that Felix's stuff in this episode is kinda tacked on; Kaubocks mentioned it when Sasha reaches the caravan and doesn't mention Felix's message (or the money), and between that and Felix not actually being a party member it seems they just recorded that bit as an afterthought.

I have a very small complaint about the whole ending sequence though: they created a dramatic situation just to solve it with a deus ex machina, which considering how tight every other bit of writing has been so far felt really cheap at the moment. I forgot all about it a minute later and only remembered it happened when someone complained about it in the Steam thread, but it's there.

/edit: Thanks for the amazing LP, Kaubocks. It convinced me to buy the game after watching Ep.1 and it's been a blast following along and reading the thread's reactions to what came after. It's been one hell of a ride, bro.

Bro bro bro bro bro.

Bro.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 26, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I haven't seen them yet but the mystery vault hunter is loving Claptrap isn't it

e: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 26, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
*Sasha brings up Felix' gift at the pivotal scene*
"Uuuughhh it's gonna be a med kit isn't"

*Sasha finally opens the gift and sees the inscription*
"Oh COME ON!"

*everyone continues to mope around*
"COOOOOOOMMMMMMME ONNNNNNNNNNNNN"

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I get the sentiment that most people don't like claptrap! that's fine, but I do want to assure you guys that you KNOW if I gave you the choice to pick a replacement team member the mystery vault hunter would have won. don't deny it. look deep down in your hearts and remember the scooter special.

also allow me to remind you guys again there will be a bonus video!! I explicitly chose to do this because I was sure most people would dislike the mystery hunter ;)

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Simply magnificent.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Claptrap owns

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The Telltale engine really shows its seams during the planning / meet-up cutscene, what with all the minor jumps and stuff every time somebody says something unique to the people that are around them. But otherwise, the finale is absolutely amazing. I really liked that the player puts in fighting game commands for the Traveler fight, and Athena doing a Flash Kick and Janey doing an Atomic Buster absolutely made my day when I played through myself. And then... Claptrap. We're all lucky he didn't take out Helios for the Traveler.

Great LP Kaubocks, it's been fun to watch and fun to read the thread.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

So, is there any way to screw up Sasha's revival? If you peek at the gift, something you do inside the hideout or on Helios when the gift sets off the detector, is Sasha's healing something you actually have a say in or is it something that happens no matter what?

Also, I have to say that this is my new favorite ending of a Borderlands game, just because they finally let you loving win.

Borderlands 1: Vault opens, it's monster, fuuuuck, you seal it back shut.
Borderlands 2: Vault opens, triumphant return of monster, nobody gets what they want. (Vault Hunters get poo poo all, Jack gets killed)
Borderlands TPS: Vault opens, everything looks good... surprise Lilith out of nowhere, everything sucks again.

This is the first game in the series where somebody opens a vault, and actually gets their drat reward. Kind of fitting, then, that the new CEO of Atlas is one of the two who does it, since as far as we know Atlas is the only other canonical instance of someone not getting hosed over by a Vault.

Edit: And, I guess the defining feature would have to be the Vault Hunter's reasons for opening it, then? The original vault, nobody could have known it was a treasure trove of awesome poo poo. After that, everyone was always hunting vaults for selfish reasons, gently caress you gimme mine, that kind of poo poo. This is the first series instance of someone opening a vault... as an afterthought. As the cherry on the sundae. Pandora's Box rewards the righteous, I guess?

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 26, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sasha heals no matter what. Honestly I think it's actually more fitting to peek at the gift when given the chance. You get to see the watch, engraving and all, and when you read it directly after just having been betrayed by Felix you interpret it differently. It's a lot more obvious when you don't see it until the plot needs it. :v:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Yeah, I peeked at the gift on my second playthrough and I gasped because it was so loving clever. "Time heals all wounds" just sounds like a halfhearted apology in the immediate wake of Felix's betrayal. In my first playthrough, where I hadn't peeked, it just came across as a deus ex machina that... didn't necessarily bother me but also sort of came out of nowhere? Peeking at the gift made it feel more real - like Felix knew Sasha was the one who was more likely to get into a bad situation and need the help, even if she didn't want it from him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm not too proud to admit I didn't get the "Time Heals All Wounds" thing as a hint about a healing item and just thought it was painfully ironic, then was pleasantly surprised they were opting for Maximum Happy Ending.

Good job, Kaubocks, and good thread! Probably my favorite Telltale game so far, and the one that sold me on trying out the Borderlands series. Now we just have to hope that this loveable cast of characters aren't turned into loot pinatas or background deaths in the next game!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Of course it was Claptrap, why didn't I see it coming? He had been suspiciously absent in the rest of the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jack just killed Roland and kidnapped Lilith. Not exactly sure what the plan would've been if she hadn't shown up to help them break that last eridium pump.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

... huh?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh sorry, I've been playing Borderlands 2 and talking about how that's going kinda infrequently in this thread. So, since we're talking about how Lilith is the worst ITT before I brought it back up. :v:

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
Utterly beautiful. I'm glad I got on this ride with all of you!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

RareAcumen posted:

Jack just killed Roland and kidnapped Lilith. Not exactly sure what the plan would've been if she hadn't shown up to help them break that last eridium pump.

Jack's plan would have been exactly nothing since he needed a Siren and that was the entire reason Angel told Lilith to stay away. Maybe he would have concocted some kind of plan to capture Lilith but he'd already been doing that and failing so whatever. Lilith hosed up, like always.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Kaubocks, have I ever mentioned how much I love your comedic timing? :allears:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

I get the sentiment that most people don't like claptrap! that's fine, but I do want to assure you guys that you KNOW if I gave you the choice to pick a replacement team member the mystery vault hunter would have won. don't deny it. look deep down in your hearts and remember the scooter special.

also allow me to remind you guys again there will be a bonus video!! I explicitly chose to do this because I was sure most people would dislike the mystery hunter ;)

Claptrap was fun as hell to play as in the Pre-Sequel. He had an EXPLOOOSIONS tree, a healing tree that doubled as a good way to make enemies take status damage, and a very unpredictable Fragmented Fragtrap tree that forced you to constantly vary your playstyle, which kept things from being stale. And all three of his trees had skills that buffed his Fight For Your Life mode so he was a very good character to play solo as.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

:kimchi:

Look I like some of Telltale's games and I realize that this was not necessarily a well-written ending...but it was an appropriate ending. It was a good ending and I was satisfied, even if it meant Claptrap had to show up for it. Rhys and Sasha are gonna get together, Janey and Athena are gonna get married, Gortys is alive, everyone's gonna be rich and it's all gonna be diamonds. And that end credit art was wonderful with the rainbow art making it pop. This makes up for the lightly unpolished/stilted parts and seams in the engine and I'm very glad they managed to turn a concept I was skeptical about/disdainful about into a game where actual friendship overcomes the shithole that is Pandora.

So, in summary: :kimchi:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Speedball posted:

And all three of his trees had skills that buffed his Fight For Your Life mode so he was a very good character to play solo as.

He also had some incredibly powerful team buffs that got more powerful the bigger your team was, so he was a great character to play with friends. He was just a really fantastic character all around, The Pre-Sequel was such a good game.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

One thing that confuses me about Felix's plan, if you don't warn him about the bomb in episode 1 (which he knew about anyway) does he just somehow manage to fake his death? It's weird that he would let himself get blown up, I doubt he planned to sacrifice himself since he took 1 million dollars for himself. Did he plan to never contact Fiona and Sasha again and hope that they'll discover the money themselves?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

He also had some incredibly powerful team buffs that got more powerful the bigger your team was, so he was a great character to play with friends. He was just a really fantastic character all around, The Pre-Sequel was such a good game.

Yeah. And the ultimate middle tree skill was "Hi Five, Guys!" If someone else gives you a high five, you both get massively buffed and healed. If they leave you hanging, Clappy gets buffed (but not as completely and not as long).

Apparently enemies hitting Claptrap with a melee attack also counts for Hi Five, Guys. Hahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Jack's plan would have been exactly nothing since he needed a Siren and that was the entire reason Angel told Lilith to stay away. Maybe he would have concocted some kind of plan to capture Lilith but he'd already been doing that and failing so whatever. Lilith hosed up, like always.

No not Jack's plan, ours. If Lilith hadn't shown up when Jack cut the light bridge, I'm not sure how they would've got the shield down to kill Angel. Roland can't rocket jump, as far as I can tell.

• Locked thread