Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
also she's immortal now because jack noir breaking her god tier clock with the juju crowbar remained a thing even after john changed everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Well, worth noting that Caliborn's immortality isn't just a result of his clock being broken. He removed the pendulum, snapped it in two, and consumed the clockwork majyyks within. Then he broke the clock. It's probably a combination of all three things that made him truly immortal.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GunnerJ posted:

I think the source of your confusion is the word "now."

I mean, I know everything is technically over, but it's still a cool idea and the set up is all there:

Jade has entered the new universe, and that cuts off her connection to the green sun so she's safe. But there's still one first guardian left behind, one with a literal plothole inside of himself that could potentially release everything that's been sealed away. Also, he's allergic to himself so every time he sneezes he ends up summoning something weird from the collapsed dream bubbles.

Nothing will ever come of this though, I should just go watch FLCL for all my "person accidentally releasing monsters from their body" needs.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean, I know everything is technically over, but it's still a cool idea and the set up is all there:

Jade has entered the new universe, and that cuts off her connection to the green sun so she's safe. But there's still one first guardian left behind, one with a literal plothole inside of himself that could potentially release everything that's been sealed away. Also, he's allergic to himself so every time he sneezes he ends up summoning something weird from the collapsed dream bubbles.

Nothing will ever come of this though, I should just go watch FLCL for all my "person accidentally releasing monsters from their body" needs.

Everyone should just watch FLCL for all their needs.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Android Blues posted:

Well, worth noting that Caliborn's immortality isn't just a result of his clock being broken. He removed the pendulum, snapped it in two, and consumed the clockwork majyyks within. Then he broke the clock. It's probably a combination of all three things that made him truly immortal.

People also ascribe way too much to her clock being bashed killing her because it was on Just and not that Vriska's death was Just because Terezi killed her and prevented her from getting everyone else murdered by Jack.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

Everyone should just watch FLCL for all their needs.

FLCL is real good and it has the benefit of having a more comprehensible plot than homestuck does

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Freak Futanari posted:

more comprehensible plot than homestuck

what on earth does not have this while still being something people recommend to each other to read.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean, I know everything is technically over,

That's not what I mean. Think about it this way: "before" the kids orchestrated the creation of the Green Sun, it didn't exist. This did not prevent them from interacting with beings empowered by the Green Sun "before" they created it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

People also ascribe way too much to her clock being bashed killing her because it was on Just and not that Vriska's death was Just because Terezi killed her and prevented her from getting everyone else murdered by Jack.

To quote hussie himself, when he weighed in on the matter

quote:

we can conclude that either:
1) The clock itself has no bearing on her life directly, much as clocks merely measure time without influencing it. Which would mean if given the chance it definitely would have landed on either just or heroic, but not in the middle. The proof is her death.
or
2) The result of the clock does have direct bearing on her life, and by knocking the clock over so that it stuck on "just", Slick inadvertently killed her for good, regardless of where it may have landed. But to be fair, if he knew it was going to kill her, he might be hitting it harder. You could consider it delayed revenge for his exile, which Vriska and Snowman coordinated. It's safe to assume Slick would have found her death to be quite just, and may have been weighing in on the matter through circumstantial serendipity.
If 2) is true, there is another wrinkle to consider. Recall that the crowbar he is using (from the intermission) has the property of being able to nullify the effect of whatever "enchanted" object it destroys. If the clock's power is to decide whether she resurrects, then by destroying it, he eliminates that power. Since there's no longer a force enabling her to resurrect, she remains dead. This is another way to look at it, but again, only if the clock itself has that power over her life.

We know from caliborn that (A) the clock does indeed have a direct bearing on immortality, and (B) destroying the clock does not remove immortality, but actually grants it.

The cueball being a component in the clock (and also the gap in LE's invulnerability) further confirms that the god clock is a device which can grant permanent death to god tiers, rather than a device which grants contingent resurrection.

Hussie conceals himself in a very scratchlike manner by saying "If the clock's power is to decide whether she resurrects".

quote:

There are enough factors in play where you have reason to think about it a bit, and such that it leaves plenty to discuss. You may consider the evidence and draw a conclusion. You may even feel very strongly about your conclusion! But for either the story, or me, to provide a categorically "right answer", immediately following the establishment of all the things that made it interesting to consider, shortchanges all that, I believe

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GunnerJ posted:

That's not what I mean. Think about it this way: "before" the kids orchestrated the creation of the Green Sun, it didn't exist. This did not prevent them from interacting with beings empowered by the Green Sun "before" they created it.

But that was before paradox space was destroyed. Now there's no causality, nothing to straighten out the timeline so things flow into each other naturally and can exist before they are created. The only thing that remains is a cat boy with a hole inside of him that contains an immortal demon and dreams of dead children.

Also, I just now realized how Davepetasprite^2 made it out to the dream bubbles so fast: They used Gcatavrosprite as a portal to get there.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It isn't actually clear to me that the entirety of Paradox Space was destroyed. Nor that sucking it all into a black hole at some subjective "point in time" results in it never having existed at any "point in time."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i can not loving believe i was out of town for the debut of Ammat the Ankhs tier chart

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GunnerJ posted:

It isn't actually clear to me that the entirety of Paradox Space was destroyed. Nor that sucking it all into a black hole at some subjective "point in time" results in it never having existed at any "point in time."

To be fair it wasn't actually clear to me either. I'm not really sure what the Hell happened.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

don't stop

believin

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

WAR FOOT posted:

Lots of good films fail the Bechdel test, because it's a bad test.

The Bechdel test isn't a measure of a specific movie's quality and never was. It's a tool to talk about the movie industry as a whole.

(Which is why the rejection of the 'reverse bechdel test' is stupid. It's not a way to establish that men are oppressed too, it's a way to show the difference because you can't compare how often women talk to each other to how often men talk to each other without establishing both facts.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Think of the Bechdel test as being kind of like BMI. Sure, you will come across the occasional ("morbidly obese" pro athlete/movie that is not particularly enlightened when it comes to gender equality but nonetheless has two women characters talk about something other than men), but if across the entire set of (people in the population sample/movies), there is a clear pattern of (very high BMIs/very few movies with at least two women characters who have at least one conversation about something other than men), it might mean something. Not every (person/movie) is (Shaq/American Pie 2).

eta: poo poo, completely missed a chance for a sweet "Vriska is fat" joke.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

i can not loving believe i was out of town for the debut of Ammat the Ankhs tier chart

what a sad thing to miss

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

i miss homestuck

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Homestuck has been dead for some time. We've just been fooled by some fanartists propping it up, Weekend at Bernie's style.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Paradox space itself wasn't destroyed. Paradox space is the entirety of creation within the Homestuck setting - absolutely everything. The Furthest Ring is one element of paradox space and even it presumably wasn't fully destroyed by the black hole, since LE's rainbow breath had created a perimeter of cracks around the black hole's point of origin.

As to the effects of this on causality, there should still be causal loops necessary to fulfil the alpha timeline, along with the doomed beta timelines attendant on that. There'll just be far fewer - because Lord English's existence hinges around creating zillions of suffocating time loops which must be fulfilled in order to stay on the alpha timeline tracks, and with him gone, it's really probably only Sburb/Skaia and the occasional Time player doing that.

LE didn't create Homestuck's weird, upsetting time travel rules, and they won't be gone now that he is - he merely exploited them to make things totally miserable for everyone and litter pitfalls for possible doomed timelines all over the place.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

speaking of Paradox Space, Camp Sgru8 did a more convincing job of portraying Davekat than anything in the comic proper.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Way belatedly

quote:

Aranea's plan didn't work, and the way I see it, the most plausible explanation is that Aranea, while formidable with Light, couldn't grasp the consequences of her actions due to a linear, materially-attached existence bound to conventional laws of matter and space. John, through futzing with the Juju, ends up becoming far more powerful than a player would under normal circumstances.

I think the explanation is more that Aranea is a control junkie. She can't really heal, what she does instead is bend things to her control, just as she did with the ghosts, just as she does with Jake. In that respect she is not much different from the Condesce, with the distinction that the latter is rather a lot better at the job. Thus she loses.

John and Terezia's plan is the concession of control, by returning to the board an unpredictable factor that had been previously removed.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i think i'd settle for one last homestuck album over an epilogue

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

AriadneThread posted:

i think i'd settle for one last homestuck album over an epilogue

https://unofficialmspafans.bandcamp.com/album/beforus

Will this do?

https://spellmynamewithabang.bandcamp.com/album/stuckhome-syndrome-part-one-v1-years-in-the-past

Or this?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I just finished reading/watching the bit where Jade's dog gets turned into a sprite, and I'm beginning to think that if Vriska weren't involved, all of the problems in this comic could have been avoided. The troll's session wouldn't have been messed up, our current kids wouldn't be in such deep trouble...

But here she is, and I'm concerned for everyone's fates now that the final boss(?) of sburb is unbeatable. Not to mention the "he is already here" stuff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just finished reading/watching the bit where Jade's dog gets turned into a sprite, and I'm beginning to think that if Vriska weren't involved, all of the problems in this comic could have been avoided.

Vriska's logic is that, since Bec Noir was already here, his arrival was predestined anyway and it might as well be her who's responsible for it. Predestination as an excuse for egomania.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

It depends on how much agency you think the characters have. It was inevitable that Bec Noir would come into existence, and any timeline where he didn't was Doomed. Vriska was either pulling the band-aid off quickly, or on a fixed set of rails where she couldn't not take the actions she did. She's more introspective about this later, after really lancing to the heart of the matter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The rails were self-created by being Vriska

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are you people still here? Go home! Show's over!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the real show has only just begun

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is my home. :smith:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

guys it's an incomplete story that went off the rails about an incomplete story that went off the rails

I love it

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

SynthOrange posted:

Are you people still here? Go home! Show's over!

Homestuck is over, and you're telling us to go home? Whhhaaaaat?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Homestuck will never be over so long as we carry it with us inside our hearts.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Poison Mushroom posted:

This is my home. :smith:

The true meaning of homestuck

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I like plom bars long post because it implies that hussie hosed his own story up by being so doggedly obsessed with vriska that everything else fell to the wayside

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

I like plom bars long post because it implies that hussie hosed his own story up by being so doggedly obsessed with vriska that everything else fell to the wayside

This is basically canon.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

But thats exactly what happened?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Grapplejack posted:

I'm pretty okay with that interpretation because I never liked "bringing Vriska backs fixes everything"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I mean it's not even really an implication, we watch it unfold.