Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Just remember this: if it's bad, it's probably the Protoculture's fault.

"kissing is bad" -SomethingAwful poster Miki, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Droyer posted:

"kissing is bad" -SomethingAwful poster Miki, 2016

You know how many diseases you can get through kissing? Just look at the Zentraedi, they discovered kissing and ended up interbreeding with humans :colbert:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

You know how many diseases you can get through kissing? Just look at the Zentraedi, they discovered kissing and ended up interbreeding with humans :colbert:

"miscegenation is the work of the devil, stick to your drat kind" - SomethingAwful poster Miki, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/yuyucow/status/724671303953833985

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sharkopath posted:

"miscegenation is the work of the devil, stick to your drat kind" - SomethingAwful poster Miki, 2016

I will build a wall to keep those Protodevlin-worshiping, deculture-ignoring subhuman heathens out of the galaxy.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Anima Spritia

Roughly translates to biological fold waves. I think? Macross technobabble is the lamest poo poo ever.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:techno:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mogomra posted:

Anima Spritia

Roughly translates to biological fold waves. I think? Macross technobabble is the lamest poo poo ever.

Anima Spiritia was what the protodevlin called it, and Macross 7 was before humanity had clearly codified what made certain individuals' singing magical, so yeah. Biological fold waves is the post-Macross 7 "we figured out scientifically why pop music is magic" terminology used by humanity and their allied species.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I've only ever watched the original Macross, and then only as Robotech, but its one of my favorite pieces of Science Fiction and one of the formative works of my youth. Would I like this crazy new idol-anime-looking Macross? I'm living in Japan so I saw a bunch of ads for it but I'm nervous about being a huge loving grognard about it not being MUH SERIOUS SPECULATIVE FICTION SPACE WAR EPIC.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sorry, but Robotech is probably not the best introduction to Macross.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If you want something super serious, this is definitely not the show for you.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Watch Frontier instead.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watch macross plus

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Colonel posted:

watch macross plus

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The Colonel posted:

watch macross plus

But also watch Frontier to prepare you for the power of idols. And then watch Delta.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Colonel posted:

watch macross plus

this too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

I've only ever watched the original Macross, and then only as Robotech, but its one of my favorite pieces of Science Fiction and one of the formative works of my youth. Would I like this crazy new idol-anime-looking Macross? I'm living in Japan so I saw a bunch of ads for it but I'm nervous about being a huge loving grognard about it not being MUH SERIOUS SPECULATIVE FICTION SPACE WAR EPIC.

As a kid Robotech was Extremely My poo poo as well, and when i decided to watch Frontier (nearly 25 years later) i wasn't sure what i was going to be getting in to. I ended up loving it and it led to me watching the original SDF Macross and i ended up loving that more than even my nostalgia for Robotech led me to believe i might.

That said, i still think it's probable that you wouldn't like this iteration of the series. I'm just sayin, you never know!

Anyway, Macross Plus would be a good place to start if you do want to revisit the franchise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sanguinia posted:

Depends. How do you feel about this

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Tae posted:

Depends. How do you feel about this

The elf girl seems really sad about not bouncing

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ChiefCelebratedHamster.webm

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

That's better. :unsmith:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh hey, i stumbled across the galaxy map someone mentioned earlier:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What, so Windermere is just an earth colony with pretensions of being more? Though I guess that explains why they use valkyries.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Also good luck declaring war on a literal galactic empire.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I dunno, maybe if they step up their vars game a bit. Right now they don't seem to be able to spread it much faster than the walkure can suppress it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ethiser posted:

Also good luck declaring war on a literal galactic empire.

I find that part interesting, since I can't think of any other empires spanning multiple galaxies in fiction. I'm sure they exist, I just don't know of them. That fold wave tech is serious.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sanguinia posted:

The elf girl seems really sad about not bouncing

Hey, her ribbon is bouncing. That's cute enough for me

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's a good name that beach has!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

I find that part interesting, since I can't think of any other empires spanning multiple galaxies in fiction. I'm sure they exist, I just don't know of them. That fold wave tech is serious.

They make an interplanetary transmission in like 30 minutes so yeah it's pretty crazy.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I'm guessing the Windermere folk we see are native to their planet. A NUNS colony fleet comes in, makes a dogs breakfast out of cohabitation, we get the antagonists. Hopefully we see more soon.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I suspect Windermere had a native population that coexisted with the initial colonists from a Macross Fleet but had a falling out, resulting in the grudge they currently hold. Their Valkyries may be some of what they developed from salvaged tech.

e:fb

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

The Colonel posted:

watch macross plus

This is the only answer. Frontier is pretty good, but still goofy. Not as goofy as 7 or Delta so far, but goofy. Macross II is serious too I guess.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Macross plus is nice and short as well. And it's a lot like top gun.

But no love for macros zero?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zero is basically an experiment in how to make a short series seem 100 episodes long

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If someone doesn't want to watch all of Frontier I thought the two compilation movies were really good. The story has some pretty big differences and the animation is pretty.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zero is a neat showcase of what they could do with CG back then, it would have a better rep if that last episode or two wasn't a smoldering mess in the writing department

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ethiser posted:

If someone doesn't want to watch all of Frontier I thought the two compilation movies were really good. The story has some pretty big differences and the animation is pretty.
Usually compilation movies are a mess or don't add enough to really make up for what has to be left on the cutting room floor, but they went all out on making the movies different enough and even sillier in some ways that I'd definitely say they're worth watching if you liked the TV series. I'm not even sure which I prefer.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

Zero is a neat showcase of what they could do with CG back then, it would have a better rep if that last episode or two wasn't a smoldering mess in the writing department

Just skip to the dogfights, they're the best part of Macross Zero.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

caberham posted:

But no love for macros zero?

No love for Zero here. The plot was terrible, the CG was lame even when it was new. I hated it all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Really didn't like the valks at all. I thought they were all butt ugly. I remember really liking the intro to the first episode and being pumped, but then it never delivered.

• Locked thread