Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

be nice wicka posted:

you are so much better than bullshit strawman arguments, cygni. were there rainclouds overhead today? no? then don't say "oh well it could have rained." that's meaningless drivel. hawksworth was actually hanging out in front of the leaders. he actually could have moved. that is a real option we had today.

All the other drivers actually could have moved as well and then the race would have never been close in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cubey posted:

All the other drivers actually could have moved as well and then the race would have never been close in the first place.

maybe. graham was on new reds and pag wasn't, there are other factors at play. regardless, i'm not arguing that point, just stating the basic fact that the finish would have been better if hawksworth wasn't there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

be nice wicka posted:

maybe. graham was on new reds and pag wasn't, there are other factors at play. regardless, i'm not arguing that point, just stating the basic fact that the finish would have been better if hawksworth wasn't there.

You aren't arguing that point? Then why do you want the rules changed? You aren't unhappy about all the other drivers who slowed the leaders down? They did literally the exact same thing as Hawksworth, why is that case so special? Because some dolt ran into the back of him?

And again, you have absolutely no way whatsoever of knowing whether the finish would have been better. It could have been better, it could have been worse, you do not know one way or the other.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
The race was good and quite exciting for zero yellows (excluding the start), lap traffic is the luck of the draw in many cases since spotters can't cover the whole track and Hawksworth might not have known how hard Pagenaud/Rahal was battling.

#IsItMayYet

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.facebook.com/jonathanbyrdsracing/photos/a.484261465008432.1073741828.484243998343512/787127554721820/?type=3&theater
Some of the rubber picked up from Conor Daly's car

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I thought that was easily the best race of the year so far, not something that I would've guessed for Barber. I'm torn on Rahal, I don't know if I should be impressed by the results he gets with the Honda shitbox, or unimpressed by literally everything else he does. I was thinking when it happened that there was no way Race Control was going to give Pagenaud a favorable ruling two races in a row, glad it didn't matter. Paul Tracy is a waste of oxygen.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

quote:

wicka is a waste of oxygen.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
so leave wicka alone and talk to me

I started collecting some diecasts finally, picked up a set of old and new mods one of my favorite drivers raced in 1/25th, but I'm not a scale slob. Since I paid a bit for the two I got due to them being small runs, I'm probably in the mid tier of collectors, so what do you guys think of me having an Indy collection in 1/18th, starting with this?

http://www.replicarz.com/1973-STP-Eagle-Indy-500-Swede-Savage/productinfo/R184712/

Anyone have experience with this brand? They look nice as hell, and that might be my favorite Indycar of all time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

George Zimmer posted:

Conor is upset:

I'm a tad bit confused because...I don't know...Conor and Graham were both fairly well off all things considered.

Graham is the son of a three time series champion. Conor's dad raced for Williams, race in F1, IndyCar, SportsCars, and called races up until at least 2007 or so. Conor's step dad ran Panther, IRP and IMS.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
so how were the Indycars today

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

hawksworth decided the result of the race. that's indefensibly stupid.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Alain Post posted:

I really liked the race

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm a tad bit confused because...I don't know...Conor and Graham were both fairly well off all things considered.

Graham is the son of a three time series champion. Conor's dad raced for Williams, race in F1, IndyCar, SportsCars, and called races up until at least 2007 or so. Conor's step dad ran Panther, IRP and IMS.

Conor Daly seems to bitch on twitter more then race and I have no idea why some of yall like him.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I started collecting some diecasts finally, picked up a set of old and new mods one of my favorite drivers raced in 1/25th, but I'm not a scale slob. Since I paid a bit for the two I got due to them being small runs, I'm probably in the mid tier of collectors, so what do you guys think of me having an Indy collection in 1/18th, starting with this?

http://www.replicarz.com/1973-STP-Eagle-Indy-500-Swede-Savage/productinfo/R184712/

Anyone have experience with this brand? They look nice as hell, and that might be my favorite Indycar of all time.

omg there are tiny scale rivets on this thing, that's amazing

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Possibly Chicken posted:

Conor Daly seems to bitch on twitter more then race and I have no idea why some of yall like him.

AMERICAN DRIVER :patriot:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Please do not burden this clean and pure thread with such sniping.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

The Replicarz line is supposed to be pretty drat good. Miles above the Greenlight stuff.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

omg there are tiny scale rivets on this thing, that's amazing

You should see what people build in the scale modeling community. Go to https://www.f1m.com and browse any of the work in progress threads. Insane stuff.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

It was good. Barber is enjoyable to watch. Driver of the race for me was probably JPM though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'll agree with that. Good race, would've been better if Graham hadn't misjudged Hawksworth or been so aggressive to keep Pagenaud behind him. He got greedy, even though he had way more push-to-pass left to use to re-pass / defend against Pagenaud for the rest of the race.

The announcers were way too excited about JPM and Marco at the beginning of the race, though. Yes, they picked up a ton of positions, but it seems like they forgot that three of them were from Munoz, Hawksworth, and Aleshin all getting sent to the back of the pack before we even got a green lap. I also still don't get why Aleshin and Hawksworth were sent back there.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dixon did pretty well too, considering what happened to him.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah. Was pretty glad to see Bourdais pretty much get way the gently caress out of his way when Dixon's pit exit put the two of them right together.

I forgot to finish my thought in that other post, most of the rest of the positions JPM and Marco gained early on were because of the Bourdais / Dixon incident. They were able to get a much harder launch out of the hairpin than everyone ahead of them who had jumped on the brakes hard to avoid hitting Dixon and just drove around a few cars each.

So for gaining "10 positions in a lap" it was really closer to half that as actual challenged passes, if that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think this race also highlighted the relative weakness of Ganassi to Penske (outside of Dixon, obviously), and of Andretti to the Honda minnow teams.

TK doesn't seem as strong these past few years.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 25, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/724632506654445569

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

They are right on the edge of having the money. They were in line for SPM or KV's ride but Stef and Oriol got the full package together before them. Both Grace and Chaves are talking to Shank about his team running BHA's car from last year for them, and Peterson/Saavedra's potential deal is through Ganassi, but they need a crew.

Yeah it turns out that the "Team ran by women" was actually "Some women try to find some money to pay some blokes to do all the work but can't actually do that".

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
that's REAL rich of Conor Daly to comment on other guys getting easy rides because of their upbringing.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

IOwnCalculus posted:

I also still don't get why Aleshin and Hawksworth were sent back there.

Were they actually penalized, or was that whole thing treated like a normal caution flag where anyone involved would be at the back? I couldn't tell since I think the laps counted, but they started double file so maybe Race Control was just making it up as they went?

Also loved that the broadcast angle at least made it look like they flew the green for the start when the front row was literally at the s/f line.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Throwback to the time we got Conor Daly mad at us on Twitter because he was mad Morgan Shepard was still racing and one of y'all said "Well at least he still has a ride"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Possibly Chicken posted:

Throwback to the time we got Conor Daly mad at us on Twitter because he was mad Morgan Shepard was still racing and one of y'all said "Well at least he still has a ride"

Morgan Shepard is cool.

I do like CD though. He's really nice to fans.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Crapulus posted:

Were they actually penalized, or was that whole thing treated like a normal caution flag where anyone involved would be at the back? I couldn't tell since I think the laps counted, but they started double file so maybe Race Control was just making it up as they went?

Also loved that the broadcast angle at least made it look like they flew the green for the start when the front row was literally at the s/f line.

Normal caution flag thing I guess. It's still kinda lovely.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lord Crapulus posted:

I couldn't tell since I think the laps counted, but they started double file so maybe Race Control was just making it up as they went?

It was officially a non-start, so yeah, the laps counted and they try to start again, doubled up by qual position. If they were like 20 feet further down the track, it probably would have been a single file restart.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

You should see what people build in the scale modeling community. Go to https://www.f1m.com and browse any of the work in progress threads. Insane stuff.

http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26648&sid=6f9d8fa11f9859bd2287f4acd40573b0&start=40#p280836

holy poo poo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rehosting the image because... drat. Weslake V12 in miniature.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
600EUR!

I've been getting back some metal 3D printed parts with insane detail lately, and crazy cheap compared to typical CNC.
This poo poo is so on notice. Once somebody who can do CAD for a drat and puts it through the 3D printing services is going to clean up on the modeling scene.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/RP9VZ8KFJ/scale-engine-replica-for-tamiya-sand-scorcher-and?li=marketplace&optionId=3133637

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

600EUR!

I've been getting back some metal 3D printed parts with insane detail lately, and crazy cheap compared to typical CNC.
This poo poo is so on notice. Once somebody who can do CAD for a drat and puts it through the 3D printing services is going to clean up on the modeling scene.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/RP9VZ8KFJ/scale-engine-replica-for-tamiya-sand-scorcher-and?li=marketplace&optionId=3133637

Quite a few have tried, but it's not cost effective yet. Definitely soon though.

And yeah, those super kits are expensive but they can easily take a year or two to complete. Keep in mind it's in 1/12 scale, twice the size of a typical model car kit.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

you've probably seen this before but on the off chance you haven't, this is the pinnacle in automotive modeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWx-Lx99Ask

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VikingSkull posted:

you've probably seen this before but on the off chance you haven't, this is the pinnacle in automotive modeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWx-Lx99Ask

i was hoping it was this and it is and its great

e: i did some digging and hes making a few new cars, and will sell you a mini flat 12 if you want: http://mps-sportproto.com/en/index.php

330 P4 body mold shaping w/ k00l kat

Cygni fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 26, 2016

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
For those goons that live in the Indianapolis area, IMS is doing a countdown of the last 33 days until the 100th Running. So beginning today the 33 scoring position panels from the old scoring pylon will be distributed around the Indy area each day.

Here's the location list:

Today is 33 days until the 100th Running of the Greatest Spectacle in Racing

https://twitter.com/ButlerBlue3/status/724928196286791683

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Stef Wilson's car looks pretty cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless