Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Does anyone have advice on monitor stands?

I current have two 27" and a 28", and would like a stand which can mount all 3 horizontally, but ideally leave room for another row of 3 of similar size or larger later on. So, basically, a 6 monitor stand which supports 28" or higher monitors. Having a really hard time finding anything which supports that many monitors of that size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Check your card for the dual link DVI pictured in this wikipedia article. It's probably the right connector, -I seems to just include the analog pins which the crossover won't be using so it doesn't matter if they're on there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector

Thanks. Mine looks like the one labeled "DVI-I (Dual Link)". I'm sure you're right. I wouldn't hate it if someone with a Crossover confirmed it, though.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

DrDork posted:

Considering that the refresh rate directly impacts the cost of the devices as well as the number of PCs that can viably support it, I would fully expect that they'd tend for the lowest rate that still gives a "good" experience.
Well sure but "good" for what reason? Is it because that is what is needed to produce smooth movement or reduce nausea? They're going to want to prevent people from getting sick wearing them too right? Won't that effect sales too?

DrDork posted:

True, but they're not exactly the perfect monitor, either: generally no warranty, a crap-tastic stand, and dual-link DVI only,
Yeah they aren't perfect at all but they offer so much bang for the buck that they're hard not to recommend and tons have bought them and generally without issue. They're still one of the most recommended monitors to buy despite the issues which says a lot I think on how big of a problem those issues are to most.

DrDork posted:

stopped trying to press for 165+ until they can reliably produce the current speced panels.
They're selling too many high hz monitors for too much money to stop. Drives me nuts too.

Subjunctive posted:

There's pretty solid empirical data on different comfort thresholds for motion-to-photon latency in VR, though I don't know how much of it is published.
When you say comfort what exactly do you mean? If by "comfort" do you mean perception of smoothness of motion or do you mean nauseousness and is this a VR specific issue?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

They were trying to find a threshold where people were unable to perform better than random and they didn't find that threshold underneath 75hz
Yeah re-reading it the article doesn't go into enough detail about the results. That was why I'd said "significant difference" instead of "no difference". Here is the non-paywalled paper itself that someone has posted for us:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5f68/05572d120b7af24a05cda01141a3a64eeb94.pdf

Page 11 and page 15 have the 2 most relevant charts though the one on page 17 is interesting too. The lower end of the MOE bars for the results end up barely above or below .5 (which was the chance threshold for the test) in the charts on pages 11 and 15. That sure doesn't seem to be a very significant difference to me. Just as important though, you can see a big drop in accuracy as the HZ of the display is increased. Another 5-10hz over 75hz probably would've been enough to put the results + MOE for all the tests past the chance threshold.

Those links you posted were good too but like you said they don't make the case for 144hz+ or really even 100-120hz. They do a good job of making the case for having a refresh rate of over 60hz though for VR.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 25, 2016

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Fixit posted:

So I just searched for an IPS monitor with the range of 60HZ to 75HZ and came up with this Acer which is what I started at looking at but my wife said it is too much. Is it a bad monitor and not worth getting? It has all the bells and whistles we have been talking about it. Otherwise I may be going with one of the ones suggested.
It seems like a good monitor going by the specs but its reeeaaaallllyyy expensive, and well its Acer who aren't known for being the best. Monoprice is supposed to have a 1440p 21:9 75hz IPS monitor out soon I believe for $500. If you can't wait for it (it was supposed to be out before March, still not here yet) get one of the Korean monitors for around $300 from a good retailer like Amazon, OC it a bit and maybe buy a better stand for $20 or so if you hate the stock one.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

Node posted:

Could anyone with a curved monitor mind commenting on if it is good, bad, neither, or a gimmick, please? For doing regular PC things like reading, browsing, and playing games. Thank you.

I recently bought an LG 34uc88 with a 1900R curvature and if you're sitting at a comfortable distance and dead center, it's absolutely amazing. I previously had an old 23 inch 1080p mediocre TN panel, so it's a huge move up in pretty much every way.

I know some people are bothered by the straight lines (like the taskbar) looking curved, but that doesn't really affect me. I just moved the taskbar to the right of the screen. I'd say the biggest change to my computer use is pretty much never using full screen mode for anything but games and movies, and even in windowed mode there's tons of usable space left over compared to my old monitor, where even full screen sometimes felt a bit cramped.

Can't comment on the differences compared to a flat ultrawide, or a curved regular widescreen. A larger ultrawide is pretty much ideal for curving, because it helps deal with the width. Regular large diagonal widescreens probably won't be as effective, because more of the screen area is in height, not width, and the curve does nothing in that case.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Node posted:

Could anyone with a curved monitor mind commenting on if it is good, bad, neither, or a gimmick, please? For doing regular PC things like reading, browsing, and playing games. Thank you.

I have a 31.5 inch Samsung curved monitor. I find the curve subtle and don't really notice it anymore. I have no strong feelings about curved or flat monitors. After having spent some time on a 75Hz laptop with gsync the deciding factor for my next monitor would come down to whether it supported *sync, the screen coating and the cost.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 25, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

KingEup posted:

I have a 31.5 inch Samsung curved monitor. I find the curve subtle and don't really notice it anymore. I have no strong feelings about curved or flat monitors. After having spent some time on a 75Hz laptop with gsync the deciding factor for my next monitor would come down to whether it supported *sync, the screen coating and the cost.

Heavy Hands posted:

I recently bought an LG 34uc88 with a 1900R curvature and if you're sitting at a comfortable distance and dead center, it's absolutely amazing. I previously had an old 23 inch 1080p mediocre TN panel, so it's a huge move up in pretty much every way.

I know some people are bothered by the straight lines (like the taskbar) looking curved, but that doesn't really affect me. I just moved the taskbar to the right of the screen. I'd say the biggest change to my computer use is pretty much never using full screen mode for anything but games and movies, and even in windowed mode there's tons of usable space left over compared to my old monitor, where even full screen sometimes felt a bit cramped.

Can't comment on the differences compared to a flat ultrawide, or a curved regular widescreen. A larger ultrawide is pretty much ideal for curving, because it helps deal with the width. Regular large diagonal widescreens probably won't be as effective, because more of the screen area is in height, not width, and the curve does nothing in that case.

Thanks yo. Truth be told, I'm not actually asking for a monitor, I'm asking for a TV. I sit my fat rear end on the couch (I loving hate office chairs, no matter how expensive and ergonomic they are) and play games on HDTVs, and mine is almost a decade old. Samsung has a model out that, according to displaylag.com, has an astounding (for an HDTV) 17ms input lag while in game mode, and has 4:4:4 RGB, so it's good for PC usage. I'd personally rather have a flat screen, but judging by your comments, it just doesn't seem to bother you as long as you're centered on the screen.

If you think having a large screen (55 or 65 inches) would introduce a new problem, feel free to let me know. Otherwise I might get this thing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The couch is likely far too far away for curve to matter and it makes off axis viewing bad.

Neither is a concern for a computer monitor.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

RVT posted:

Thanks. Mine looks like the one labeled "DVI-I (Dual Link)". I'm sure you're right. I wouldn't hate it if someone with a Crossover confirmed it, though.

DVI-I is just a combo port that can do both DVI-D and DVI-A. I don't own a crossover (I use the older QX2710 myself), but I have set them up for 5~ people all using DVI-I ports. It will work.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

Node posted:

Thanks yo. Truth be told, I'm not actually asking for a monitor, I'm asking for a TV. I sit my fat rear end on the couch (I loving hate office chairs, no matter how expensive and ergonomic they are) and play games on HDTVs, and mine is almost a decade old. Samsung has a model out that, according to displaylag.com, has an astounding (for an HDTV) 17ms input lag while in game mode, and has 4:4:4 RGB, so it's good for PC usage. I'd personally rather have a flat screen, but judging by your comments, it just doesn't seem to bother you as long as you're centered on the screen.

If you think having a large screen (55 or 65 inches) would introduce a new problem, feel free to let me know. Otherwise I might get this thing.

Echoing sellouts' thoughts. A computer monitor is something you mostly use alone. A TV is normally positioned so more than one person can view it at once. A curve is definitely not worth it if you're not sitting front and center, so I guess think about how often you have visitors or someone else in your household watching TV with you.

For a monitor (or a TV you're watching alone), a stronger curve is a more immersive experience, as the display wraps around more of your usable field of view. For a shared TV when you're not front and center, you'll have a good viewing angle at the opposite end of the curve from you, and a pretty horrible one on the screen that's on your side. Unless the TV is far enough where it doesn't matter, but in that case paying extra for a curve isn't really worth it either.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Heavy Hands posted:

Echoing sellouts' thoughts. A computer monitor is something you mostly use alone. A TV is normally positioned so more than one person can view it at once. A curve is definitely not worth it if you're not sitting front and center, so I guess think about how often you have visitors or someone else in your household watching TV with you.

For a monitor (or a TV you're watching alone), a stronger curve is a more immersive experience, as the display wraps around more of your usable field of view. For a shared TV when you're not front and center, you'll have a good viewing angle at the opposite end of the curve from you, and a pretty horrible one on the screen that's on your side. Unless the TV is far enough where it doesn't matter, but in that case paying extra for a curve isn't really worth it either.

Good points. The issue is, this TV in particular is the only one rated under 20ms for last year. The article is here: http://www.displaylag.com/defeat-input-lag-the-best-hdtvs-for-gaming-holiday-2015/

So even though I'd rather just have a flat screen, I'd have to give up an extra 20ms of input lag for the best model they measured, which can be noticeable in intensive games. As for company, I'm a :spergin: that doesn't have much, so one of my couch seats is centered to the TV anyways. I'm not so concerned with losing the benefits of a curved panel, I'm concerned with any negative attributes it could have.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

When you say comfort what exactly do you mean? If by "comfort" do you mean perception of smoothness of motion or do you mean nauseousness and is this a VR specific issue?

Both perceived smoothness and nausea/disorientation, though the smoothness element is tied into using low-persistence displays that aren't common outside VR use.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Curved is fine for a single user if not good. It may distort lines a bit, but I don't notice. What I did notice, and a curved ultrawide fixed for me was that on really wide screens the edges are at enough of an angle that even on an IPS you get brightness shifts in the corners. I think on a TV unless you crowd up, it'll be even. The wider it gets the more likely a curve is to matter.

Fixit posted:

So I just searched for an IPS monitor with the range of 60HZ to 75HZ and came up with this Acer which is what I started at looking at but my wife said it is too much. Is it a bad monitor and not worth getting? It has all the bells and whistles we have been talking about it. Otherwise I may be going with one of the ones suggested.

It's a great monitor at the intersection of curved ultrawide and gaming *sync. Unfortunately you pay for both and it is an Acer with Acer QA. I love mine but I played a $600 round of refurb roulette for it (It's really nice, the only problem was the front bezel wasn't attached right and I half-assedly jammed it in). You can probably get screens for less but they'd be 2560x1440 and not quite as amazing for things other than gaming.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

I've used them plenty, and while they're slightly nicer then non-curved, they're still basically a gimmick and absolutely not with the $100-200+ premium over comparable flat panel models. All things being equal I'd maybe pay $20 extra but I'm pretty sure it was invented to find a new way to justify margins.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Node posted:

Good points. The issue is, this TV in particular is the only one rated under 20ms for last year. The article is here: http://www.displaylag.com/defeat-input-lag-the-best-hdtvs-for-gaming-holiday-2015/

So even though I'd rather just have a flat screen, I'd have to give up an extra 20ms of input lag for the best model they measured, which can be noticeable in intensive games. As for company, I'm a :spergin: that doesn't have much, so one of my couch seats is centered to the TV anyways. I'm not so concerned with losing the benefits of a curved panel, I'm concerned with any negative attributes it could have.

They why ask if you know your answer is "display lag rules above all other logic and reason" and you have a link rating the televisions?

You have the list of negative attributes. Color shift and poor viewing angles. Anything more specific would require knowing the specific model. Given your link the downside of that Samsung is..... Color shift.

Also there's a tv thread. I don't see how 21.1ms vs 37ms matters for a tv but whatever. That Samsung is a nice tv overall. I just can't fathom buying a curve in most setups.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

It seems like a good monitor going by the specs but its reeeaaaallllyyy expensive, and well its Acer who aren't known for being the best. Monoprice is supposed to have a 1440p 21:9 75hz IPS monitor out soon I believe for $500. If you can't wait for it (it was supposed to be out before March, still not here yet) get one of the Korean monitors for around $300 from a good retailer like Amazon, OC it a bit and maybe buy a better stand for $20 or so if you hate the stock one.

REALLY?!! Well I can wait. Thanks for this information!

xthetenth posted:

Curved is fine for a single user if not good. It may distort lines a bit, but I don't notice. What I did notice, and a curved ultrawide fixed for me was that on really wide screens the edges are at enough of an angle that even on an IPS you get brightness shifts in the corners. I think on a TV unless you crowd up, it'll be even. The wider it gets the more likely a curve is to matter.

It's a great monitor at the intersection of curved ultrawide and gaming *sync. Unfortunately you pay for both and it is an Acer with Acer QA. I love mine but I played a $600 round of refurb roulette for it (It's really nice, the only problem was the front bezel wasn't attached right and I half-assedly jammed it in). You can probably get screens for less but they'd be 2560x1440 and not quite as amazing for things other than gaming.

A refurb model? Had not thought of that. Did not know that Acer was a bad monitor company.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fixit posted:

REALLY?!! Well I can wait. Thanks for this information!
Note that the Monoprice one will likely not be curved, and may or may not support FreeSync. There's a reason it's gonna be cheaper.

Fixit posted:

A refurb model? Had not thought of that. Did not know that Acer was a bad monitor company.
Acer isn't a bad company, per se, it's that they've always been a lowest-bidder budget type company, and now they're trying to break into the super-high end utilizing first-run technology. It turns out they're not particularly great at either of those things, so while these high end fancy monitors are brilliant on paper, there's a decent chance that whatever one you buy will have some issue with it requiring you to return it and try again. This, by itself, isn't a reason not to buy one assuming you have any amount of patience, though, as if you get it from somewhere with a good return policy it's just an exercise in cycling through a few until you get a good one. Annoying, but if you can be happy with it for the next 5+ years, a week or two of hassle might be worthwhile.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

DrDork posted:

Yeah, if AMD can be reasonably competitive with NVidia this time around, I think FreeSync vs GSync's cost might sway a good number of people. I know I'm in that camp. The price difference between the Acer X34 and XR341CK (ok, they're not EXACTLY the same other than *Sync, but close) would happily cover the expected loss I'd take swapping from my 980Ti to whatever AMD offers up.

Since getting that LG ultrawide w/ FreeSync earlier this month I'm pretty much in this boat as well. If AMD's cards are competitive on price/performance this round I'm going to swap from team green, despite not having had an ATI/AMD card since the 9800 Pro.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gonkish posted:

Since getting that LG ultrawide w/ FreeSync earlier this month I'm pretty much in this boat as well. If AMD's cards are competitive on price/performance this round I'm going to swap from team green, despite not having had an ATI/AMD card since the 9800 Pro.

Also concurring. My lg 29um67p or whatever it is is wonderful. I've yet to really see a demonstration of these sync technologies, but I wouldn't mind having an excuse to give them a try

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

DrDork posted:

Note that the Monoprice one will likely not be curved, and may or may not support FreeSync. There's a reason it's gonna be cheaper.

Acer isn't a bad company, per se, it's that they've always been a lowest-bidder budget type company, and now they're trying to break into the super-high end utilizing first-run technology. It turns out they're not particularly great at either of those things, so while these high end fancy monitors are brilliant on paper, there's a decent chance that whatever one you buy will have some issue with it requiring you to return it and try again. This, by itself, isn't a reason not to buy one assuming you have any amount of patience, though, as if you get it from somewhere with a good return policy it's just an exercise in cycling through a few until you get a good one. Annoying, but if you can be happy with it for the next 5+ years, a week or two of hassle might be worthwhile.

Ah that makes sense.

Ahhhhh. So its like a car company, say Honda, trying to compete with Ferrari or something? They want to be better but are starting late in the race and therefore don't have the experience other companies have.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fixit posted:

Ahhhhh. So its like a car company, say Honda, trying to compete with Ferrari or something? They want to be better but are starting late in the race and therefore don't have the experience other companies have.
Except that Honda was making solid products to start with. I'd say it's more like the Chevy Volt; the company likes to produce a lot of low-cost kinda shoddy stuff on a normal day, and suddenly they get in their heads that they can make a Tesla competitor: super high end and based on brand new and unproven technology. Unsurprisingly, issues abound. Not a perfect analogy, though, since in this case there's really no one else making a better competing product yet--people were really excited to see that ASUS was releasing a 27" 1440p IPS high-IPS *Sync monitor, but it turned out to have a lot of the same issues as the Acer ones.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Also concurring. My lg 29um67p or whatever it is is wonderful. I've yet to really see a demonstration of these sync technologies, but I wouldn't mind having an excuse to give them a try

It's nice. On a scale from 1-10 it's run games exclusive fullscreen and not alt-tab despite being the kind of guy who would alt-tab out while driving to position in WoT grade basically bump settings up a full notch for free as far as perception goes nice. It lets you drop below 60 while still staying fluid unless you whip the camera around. One of the big things I notice is that strafing is a lot smoother.

Do keep in mind that I'm running an ultrawide with a 290 so I spend a lot of time in the 35-50 fps range, and *sync is best at lower framerates because frames would be farther out of place chronologically.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 25, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RVT posted:

BurritoJustice confirmed it already but my Crossover 2795 just arrived today so I took a picture of the cable and port on it to double confirm:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Rexxed posted:

BurritoJustice confirmed it already but my Crossover 2795 just arrived today so I took a picture of the cable and port on it to double confirm:

All the pins are present, so definitely looks like dual link to me.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with LG 27UD68-W? I only saw it mentioned in 2 posts on this thread (according to SA's search functionality). Basically, between Dell's P2715Q (at 733 CAD) and LGs LG 27UD68-W (at 569 CAD) all i can see is the loss of the USB 3.0 hub. Plus apparently the LG has FreeSync should I ever buy an AMD card. Or is the Dell much better that it would justify waiting for a sale?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Volguus posted:

Does anyone have any experience with LG 27UD68-W? I only saw it mentioned in 2 posts on this thread (according to SA's search functionality). Basically, between Dell's P2715Q (at 733 CAD) and LGs LG 27UD68-W (at 569 CAD) all i can see is the loss of the USB 3.0 hub. Plus apparently the LG has FreeSync should I ever buy an AMD card. Or is the Dell much better that it would justify waiting for a sale?

You also lose height and rotation adjustment, as well as some stability because it connects to the bottom and not where the VESA mount is located.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Subjunctive posted:

Both perceived smoothness and nausea/disorientation, though the smoothness element is tied into using low-persistence displays that aren't common outside VR use.
OK thanks. I wish there were more detailed public info. about this stuff. Or maybe I'm just not using the right search terms.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

DVI-I is just a combo port that can do both DVI-D and DVI-A. I don't own a crossover (I use the older QX2710 myself), but I have set them up for 5~ people all using DVI-I ports. It will work.

Thanks very much. This is what I was worried about, so that's great to hear.

Rexxed posted:

Thanks for this. Any dead pixels or other problems? Where did you order it from?

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

get one of the Korean monitors for around $300 from a good retailer like Amazon,

Looks like it's about 40 bucks more on Amazon and still fulfilled by some random company. Love Amazon support, but are they going to get involved to an extent that eBay wouldn't if I bought from the green sum store?

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Generic Monk posted:

Does anyone here use DisplayCAL/dispcalgui? If so, do you know how you can get it to export an icc profile that can be applied to a machine without having to go through the entire calibration process again? Googled around and there's little in the way of useful information regarding this so I feel like I'm missing something - are the profiles stored anywhere in a usable format? Is there an option to export one somewhere?
Search your PC for all .icm or .icc files. This will turn up the calibration that was set by DisplayCal.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

RVT posted:

Looks like it's about 40 bucks more on Amazon and still fulfilled by some random company. Love Amazon support, but are they going to get involved to an extent that eBay wouldn't if I bought from the green sum store?
You have to look at their return policy, and maybe email or message them, for the details but generally you'll have better luck doing a return bought from a Amazon "storefront" than a random eBay dude. If the seller's stuff is eligible for Prime than the return policies are exactly the same as if it'd been fulfilled by Amazon.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
That said, Green Sum is one of the longest standing resellers, and I've yet to hear of any horror stories. Almost no one gets a monitor with more than 1-2 bad pixels, which generally wouldn't be enough to justify a return even under Amazon unless they explicitly state otherwise. Mine has exactly 1 pixel that goes green on a black background, and otherwise appears to work ok--it is literally impossible to notice unless I am specifically and intentionally trying to find it. I'd vote save the $40, personally.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RVT posted:

Thanks for this. Any dead pixels or other problems? Where did you order it from?

I bought mine from green-sum on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400974478465

There's one stuck pixel in the bottom left that's green but it's hard to notice. I was a little disappointed only because the refurbished Shimian I got last year had no dead pixels, but the crossover is a little nicer than it even with one hard to see stuck pixel. They've improved the case a lot since the Shimian, but also made the blue LED on the front brighter which I'm about to fix with some electrical tape. It overclocked to 96hz stable with just the nvidia control panel, I haven't tried any higher yet.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Made the plunge and I ordered a Crossover 2795 monitor. Can the overclocking be set to any number (eg: 100hz) or does it have to be a multiple of 24 like 72 or 96?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

objects in mirror posted:

Made the plunge and I ordered a Crossover 2795 monitor. Can the overclocking be set to any number (eg: 100hz) or does it have to be a multiple of 24 like 72 or 96?

It can be set to any arbitrary number, but you typically want to keep it as a multiple of 24Hz so that you get smooth playback of 24Hz content.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

BurritoJustice posted:

It can be set to any arbitrary number, but you typically want to keep it as a multiple of 24Hz so that you get smooth playback of 24Hz content.

Does this mean that a regular monitor that does 60Hz does NOT play back 24Hz content smoothly?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I've been looking around for monitors for a bit, do G-Sync 4k monitors with refresh rates higher than 60hz not exist? Is this a chose two type of situation?

e: That is, a g sync, 4k, >60HZ, IPS monitor.

Serenade fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 26, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

OK thanks. I wish there were more detailed public info. about this stuff. Or maybe I'm just not using the right search terms.

Abrash's Valve-era blog posts and then Atman's and Antonov's from Oculus are the best things available, I think. There are some things from the USAF (I think? Navy?) from the previous generation of VR, but they're pretty primitive. I wanted to put together more structured measurements and publish some things when I was working at Oculus, but we were (perhaps understandably) just too focused on shipping.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Man, I cancelled my Crossover 2795 order. :(

As desirous as I am of a higher frame rate and a higher resolution, I think the cost premium attached to going above 1080p and 60hz in a monitor is still a bit steep, especially for someone in my income bracket.

Also, I use a vizio 50 inch set as my main display (it's raised on an ikea tv stand next to bookshelf speakers, and I sit away from it on a desk at a reasonable distance. Yes, it's the height of digital narcissism, but oh man the immersion!). Going smaller in size would mean losing some of the benefits of having a bigger display.

Possible solution: Sell my current tv set, and get a Vizio P set that does 1080p @ 120Hz. Will wait on these to come down in price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Node posted:

Curved TVs are awful and I hate them with a passion and hope they completely die off (they are). The multitude of viewing angles you might have in your TV room, along with the distance involved really just make it a bad idea.
Curved big 21:9 monitors on the other hand, are awesome. I have a Dell U3415W at home and at work and really you don't know that its curved sitting and looking right at it. The subtle curve actually gives the wide expanse of screen real-estate more on-axis viewing so it improves image quality.
The U3415W has a 3000R curve, which is pretty subtle and on the common side for modern high end ultrawide monitors. There are a few monitors with more aggressive curves (that I wouldn't recommend) that have up to 1800R I believe.
The curve rating (3000R vs 1800R) measures the size of the radius a circle would be made from the angle of the monitors curve. 3000R = 3 meters, 1800R = 1.8 meters.