Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

Pyromancy: raise dex yes or no?

Just use the Sage Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

voltcatfish posted:

Your dex has to be insanely high to notice any appreciable difference in casting speed.

EDIT: What is the point of spell parry if it doesn't actually reflect the spell back?

You could just, you know, dodge instead.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 26, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh yeah - did I miss any lore explaining what's up with the 3 random rear end darkwraiths wandering around Farron Keep? I guess they came from or at least for the Abyss, and I know Yuria is one, but does anything comment on their presence beyond "oh yeah, they're around?"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like Irithyll Dungeon is the answer to the question, "What if we made Latria, but not any fun at all?"

voltcatfish posted:

Only if you want to scale Dex weapons. Don't do it for the casting speed. Sage's Ring alone gets you almost to max.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
I'm doing my bit for the Bluebro community, Fingering myself with the badge on :unsmith:

In related news, the Londor Pale Shade you summon for the Abyss Watchers is practically a one-man gank squad, goddamn.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

http://twitch.tv/distortion2

This guys been doing meme build Speedruns these last couple days and they've all been great

He had to homeward bone out of Yhorm because he didn't have enough ashen estus to kill him with just miracles yet, pretty funny

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh yeah - did I miss any lore explaining what's up with the 3 random rear end darkwraiths wandering around Farron Keep? I guess they came from or at least for the Abyss, and I know Yuria is one, but does anything comment on their presence beyond "oh yeah, they're around?"

I'm guessing they're just some random rear end darkwraiths who were super pissed off enough at the Abyss Watchers that they came all the way to Lothric to get some payback. Like Farron's whole thing before burning in the kiln was "gently caress THE ABYSS" and by all accounts they did a pretty good job about it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

He had to homeward bone out of Yhorm because he didn't have enough ashen estus to kill him with just miracles yet, pretty funny

yeah, the gently caress was with those <200 dam hits at random :(

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Other people have been testing it and the general idea is that more poise means more super armor on certain animations and weapon arts.

That's pretty interesting. I wonder if crossbow shots just do a pathetically small amount of poise damage (since even 0.1 poise is enough for hyper armor on certain attacks) or if maybe there is some sort of ranged only classification of hyper armor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spiritus Nox posted:

They're trying to get through Farron Keep to get to the abyss watchers and kick their rear end for ruining their abyss-spreading plans for so many years but they, like most real players, have no idea how to handle the Grues and their annoying movement tracking.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Harrow posted:

I feel like Irithyll Dungeon is the answer to the question, "What if we made Latria, but not any fun at all?"

I hated the room towards the end that has 7 or 8 life draining wizards. I had no clue how to beat them except to goad them one-by-one away from the pack and repeat once my health had recovered. And I had to do it a second time because I needed to rescue the NPC in there.

Those are my least favourite enemies in the game.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
He just did Yhorm with nothing but lightning spam.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I spent SO MUCH time on that bossfight, and you can cheese the first phase with a Darkwraith? God dammit Fromsoft.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well Lothric Castle sucks.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

snoremac posted:

I hated the room towards the end that has 7 or 8 life draining wizards. I had no clue how to beat them except to goad them one-by-one away from the pack and repeat once my health had recovered. And I had to do it a second time because I needed to rescue the NPC in there.

Those are my least favourite enemies in the game.

The room with 3 of them tucked in corners with the stairs would've totally killed me if a message hadn't warned me of it

good poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

Well Lothric Castle sucks.

What do you mean, don't you like enemies that do a million damage and have more health than multiple early-game bosses?

edit: and, often times, can be buffed to do 2 million damage just in case you found the initial million lacking in raw overkill strength

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfz5Lj4FF7w

Abyss Watchers not very good at watching abyss.

How did the darkwraith get in there, anyway? Just a pure glitch, or did the Watcher hit him through the fog door and that drew him in?

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Eygon of Carim is really pissed at me.

I spent 25000 souls to get absolution.

He's still pissed at me. I just want to be bros again :(

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just a pure glitch, or did the Watcher hit him through the fog door and that drew him in?
Either that, or letting them get next to the fog door lets them pass for lore reasons or something.

e:

Penitent posted:

You gave the miracles lady a book on Dark Magic and corrupted her, of course he is.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 26, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Penitent posted:

Did you send Irina to the dark side by buying dark miracles from her? If so, you hosed up, there's no going back from corruption

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I find it hard to believe they toned down the difficulty of the early areas when Lothric Knights are basically identical when you run into them again later and are still a pain in the rear end.

It's still harder than DS1's earlier areas by a longshot. Whereeverything of note that isn't a generic hollow doesn't respawn, with the exception of the Balder knights who look somewhat lackluster compared to Lothric Knights now.

That isn't to say the early game isn't smooth even for a newcomer once they get a handle on things. But even someone as mediocre as me is basically an olympic god with a fresh warrior start in Undead burg through Gargoyles now, while I have to give lothric knights or a room full of tall dudes with greataxes and halberds some consideration.

But if there are no brick wall of a curve tricks to chase off people, then it's considered "Too Easy" for people who can beat the whole game with their eyes closed anyway. You can't wander off into a graveyard full of skeletons now and get your rear end handed to you by enemies much tougher than the ones in your intended direction. There is no 90 degree angle instant death grab hippo you can run into even before you see your character creation screen. Therefore, casual garbage.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 26, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I had a weird thing happen in the Cathedral today.

I was sunbroing, and had kind of a shaky connection with the host. I was able to just shoot one of the cathedral knights out front of the Deacons fight without it reacting at all. But after a minute it seemed to stabilize, and we fought the other normally. The host summons an NPC phantom, and goes into the fog gate just as he's getting invaded. The NPC goes in just fine but I don't get a prompt or see the boss' health bar.

As I'm standing there the invader runs up and attacks me, we fight for quite a while and I get a message that the NPC died, and I eventually lose. No idea what ended up happening with the invader, I guess he was stuck outside the gate until the boss was killed or the host died?

I've been unable to get in before, but never seen an invader stick around after a host goes to fight a boss.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CJacobs posted:

They're trying to get through Farron Keep to get to the abyss watchers and kick their rear end for ruining their abyss-spreading plans for so many years but they, like most real players, have no idea how to handle the Grues and their annoying movement tracking.

Actually 90% they loving wreck the Gru.

One time I just sat back and let them do their thing because it's hilarious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

What do you mean, don't you like enemies that do a million damage and have more health than multiple early-game bosses?

edit: and, often times, can be buffed to do 2 million damage just in case you found the initial million lacking in raw overkill strength

Can't say I do! Or how the most powerful enemies in the game are still naked guys with daggers.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Spiritus Nox posted:

How did the darkwraith get in there, anyway? Just a pure glitch, or did the Watcher hit him through the fog door and that drew him in?

don't know, not my vid

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Blaziken386 posted:

Either that, or letting them get next to the fog door lets them pass for lore reasons or something.

e:

You gave the miracles lady a book on Dark Magic and corrupted her, of course he is.

I wish it was something more like that.

I smacked him in the face when I met him (on accident) and now he positively will not let me pass to enter the sniper tower.

I thought getting absolution would reset my standing with him but that was a wild goose chase.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sorcery probably gonna need a DLC or two to not suck, just like DS1.

I feel like Vigor is way too strong for your early investment compared to any other stat, the difference of 15 points going from 12 vigor to 27 is 454 HP to 1000 HP, then you add in a ember for 25% more and suddenly you just don't care about trading hits and estus with your raw straight sword.

On another note, how are greatshields this time around compared to kite shields? I never actually used a greatshield in a darksoul game before but then I saw people bashing people over the head with greatshields and not taking major stamina damage on blocks and it looked decent, is the greatshield of glory stamina regen debuff bad?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
reddit deleted the interview translation for some reason so here it is

"On April 23rd, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Taiwan invited Hidetaka Miyazaki to Taiwan for a press event. Taiwan gaming site GNN asked him several questions.

Source link - http://gnn.gamer.com.tw/2/130902.html

I will try to translate a few key questions. My Chinese is not very good so feel free to correct me.

Q: The central theme of Dark Souls is fire. Fire represents life and death. Why did you choose fire as the symbol of the game?

A: There are two reasons for this. We didn't use light as the symbol of the game because light gives off an 'absolute' kind of vibe. It represents strong and unwavering positive imagery. Fire, compared to light, gives people an unreal and wavering impression. Fire also represents dual properties like hot and cold, light and dark, life and death. The uncertainty of Fire is more suited to the world of Dark Souls in my mind.

Q: Previously, the protagonist was called 'Undead', in Dark Souls 3 he/she is called 'Unkindled'. What is the difference between the two?

A: Dark Souls 1's protagnist is Undead, its story is about linking the fire. But Dark Souls 3 depicts the Undeads who didn't succeed in linking the fire and become cinder, but failed and burned to nothing. Unkindled is born out of their remaining ashes. Unkindled exist to inherit the past and put an end to this cumulative tale.

Q: Dark Souls is known for its difficulty. How did you balance the game so players can feel the high difficulty but won't give up because of it?

A: When I balance games, I always emphasize on fairness over difficulty. I will not punish the player for no reason. For example when I'm placing enemies, I will not put a lot of enemies on a dead end road to overwhelm the player. I would put them in a blind spot to ambush the players who aren't careful. So player would feel: 'oh it's my fault I died here, but I can do this if I try again'. Let players learn from their mistakes, overcome obstacles and feel the sense of accomplishment.

Q: But people feel in Dark Souls 3 the difficulty of boss battles was toned down. Was the difficulty adjusted this time?

A: Indeed, we've received feedback that Bloodborne early game was too difficult and many inexperienced players were frustrated. Therefore Dark Souls 3 early game difficulty was toned down to guide players into the game. Of course veterans will feel it's too easy but they should be satisfied with late game difficulty.

Q: Is there any plan to collect feedback and make adjustments in the form of updates?

A: Of course we are always balancing the game. In fact we have several updates out already. But game balancing is very difficult and we often receive harsh feedback from the players. But we will keep listening and make adjustment as needed. The latest update will be out in a few weeks.

Q: How many DLCs will there be?

A: We will make three large DLCs as planned. First one will be out in Fall 2016, Second one in Early 2017, Third one doesn't have a date yet.

Q: Many story elements in Dark Souls 3 directly relate to the first game. Did you envision there will be sequels when you were first designing Dark Souls 1?

A: Actually one of my hobbies is to design settings and lore. When I was making the first game I already had the whole picture in my mind. The entire design is pretty big and it took three games to fit everything in. Honestly I didn't know we could go all the way to the third game.

Q: I know you said there won't be any sequels and Dark Souls 3 marks the end of the series. But is this world really coming to an end? Is there a chance there would be some kind of DLC, spin-offs or tie-in novels set in this world?

A: Dark Souls 3 will be have several DLCs like previous games. But there's absolutely no plan right now for any sequels, spin-offs or tie-ins. But I can't say for certain the possibility is 0%.

For example, if a FROM Software developer come to me five years from now and beg 'please let me make another Dark Souls'. Then I will not rule out the possibility to let my subordinates start a new project.

What is certain for now is, to me personally Dark Souls is over. So rather than make another sequel, I think it's time we take a step to a new direction. Development of a new IP has already begun.

Q: In the industry, a popular serialized IP will always have many sequels to keep the 'momentum' going. What made you decide to stop this popular franchise?

A: Actually I don't think sequels is a bad thing. There are examples of a sequel becoming a great game by building on experiences gained from previous games. To have a popular franchise is a great thing. On the other hand, At what point do you stop a series? How do you do it? It's not an easy decision to make.

But for us, rather than making sequels, we FROM Software want to make new things and challenge the unknown. At the moment it's too early to tell if what we are doing is right, maybe the result will reveal itself in five or ten years from now.

Q: So we won't be seeing a Demons's Souls sequel or remaster any time soon?

A: We want to try making new things.

Q: What about Armored Core sequel?

A: Personally I want to do it. After all I was involved in three games in the series. Armored Core is one of the pillars of FROM Software's lineup, but I can't reveal anything at the moment.

Q: Souls series is over for now. What kind of experience has this journey been for you?

A: Looking back now, I think it's a fortunate and blessed journey. I was given an opportunity, I walked this path with BANDAI NAMCO, FROM Software team and the players together. There are many touching memories along the way. A game like Souls, where there's no map, you die in a few steps and nobody knows what's going on, for this game to become such a beloved franchise via word of mouth, I feel like I'm such a lucky man. These past six, seven years is a treasured time period for me. I couldn't even imagine where I am today ten years ago. For this journey to not go to waste, I'm going on another fortunate journey and make better games to repay people's support.

Q: Miyazaki is not just a game direct but the president of FROM as well. People love your games very much but does the responsibilities of company president hinder your involvement in game development in the future?

A: I can guarantee, I will stay as a game director for at least another five years. To be honest I entered the game industry not because I want to be a president, but because I like to make games. I find making games more fun. If I'm not allowed to make games then I rather not be a president.

Of course, as a president I make necessary decisions and judgement. It might be cliched but FROM Software is a great company. Because BANDAI NAMCO and SIE and our parent company Kadokawa are very good to us, I can just focus on making games and let other people handle president affairs. I really appreciate everyone's forgiveness for letting me do this.

Q: What's your definition of 'game'? What does 'game' mean to you?

A: I think fundamentally game is built on 'action'. For example, pressing a button on the controller call be called an 'action', but if there's a purpose for this action of pressing buttons, then it's called a 'game'. An action without an purpose can only be called 'work', action with purpose brings 'possibilities'.

I think games should let players discover possibilities and feel a sense of accomplishment. This kind of experience can only be achieved with games. That is why I'm so enthralled by making games and often lose myself in it."

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So I summoned someone for Aldrich who just glided on the ground without moving any part of their body, was invincible, and did a crazy amount of damage. I guess that's one Lord of Cinder down?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Spiritus Nox posted:

What's this now?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

immortal flow posted:

I'm doing my bit for the Bluebro community, Fingering myself with the badge on :unsmith:

You're doing the lord's work

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Actually 90% they loving wreck the Gru.

One time I just sat back and let them do their thing because it's hilarious.

I find the dark wraiths only lose to the Gru if the spearmen do their really bullshitty hundred hit flailing combo, every other gru can't touch them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Wonder if this poise thing will get an official fix, seems like a weird decision to make.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Brannock posted:

What's this now?
She tells you she's a Darkwraith pretty much straight away, right?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ravenfood posted:

She tells you she's a Darkwraith pretty much straight away, right?

Yeah but that guy suggested she was hanging out in Farron Keep. I only saw her after the thing with Yoel happens.

Unless I misread his post

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would do Latria naked and with my bare fists 10 times before I'd do Irithyll Dungeon again.

Which is why it's so great that I died really far in without finding a shortcut so I get to do Irithyll Dungeon again.

This gets my vote for worst area in the series.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brannock posted:

Yeah but that guy suggested she was hanging out in Farron Keep. I only saw her after the thing with Yoel happens.

Unless I misread his post

Nah, sorry, I wasn't clear. There's like the 3 darkwraiths in the keep, and BESIDES them Yuria seems to be one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Got to Aldritch on my caster and I see why people some people hate him so much. Dodging his phase 2 arrows without a bunch of endurance and the <30% roll is not fun. Had to relearn how to avoid it, and the fight takes forever if he just spams it nonstop instead of using his soul spears or throwing pixie dust. I still like the fight but the duration of those arrows should really be reduced, its crazy long and you have to totally devote your attention to dodging it instead of attacking.

Oxxidation posted:

Wonder if this poise thing will get an official fix, seems like a weird decision to make.

Would be interesting to hear their thoughts on it, but they rarely comment on controversial balance changes so I doubt it will happen.

Changing poise now would completely throw the current PvP meta on its head so it'd be hilarious to see it happen.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Yuria serves Kaathe, and also sells the Dark Hand. However, I believe that what remained of the Darkwraiths rebranded to become the Sable Church of Londor. The wraiths in Farron Keep are likely just lost stragglers looking for revenge against the Abyss Watchers. Kaathe's MO seems to have evolved over time, and he no longer favors just having his servants go out and suck the life from people.

Aside: It drives me up a wall that there is a character named Yuria, and also a character that looks identical to the Yuria from Demon's Souls, but are not one and the same. I get confused so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dude I think Souls 3 had the hardest early game

I must be weird