Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

bigis posted:

My post was in response to dumb stuff like

Dissolve the ADF and send them all to the Hague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My grandfather served in the navy in WW2. He died of asbestosis leading to mesothelioma because of exposure during his service.

I don't know what this has to do with anything but gently caress war and any glorification of it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

iajanus posted:

My grandfather served in the navy in WW2. He died of asbestosis leading to mesothelioma because of exposure during his service.

I don't know what this has to do with anything but gently caress war and any glorification of it.

ANZAC day is a great way to perpetuate mindless support for any kind of military actions by Straya because it ignores the actual purpose of the war and just glorifies the people who died in it. Now you can go and nuke anywhere on earth and any criticism of it will just get shut down with "how dare u criticise our troops omg u traiter THINK OF THE DIGGERS MY ANZAC GREAT GREAT GRANDDADDY WOULD BE ROLLING IN HIS GRAVE TO HEAR YOU SPEAK ILL OF THE ANZAC SPIRIT"

Also it's a great roll call to draw in other windowlickers to sign up and bomb brown people

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sludge Tank posted:

ANZAC day is a great way to perpetuate mindless support for any kind of military actions by Straya because it ignores the actual purpose of the war and just glorifies the people who died in it. Now you can go and nuke anywhere on earth and any criticism of it will just get shut down with "how dare u criticise our troops omg u traiter THINK OF THE DIGGERS MY ANZAC GREAT GREAT GRANDDADDY WOULD BE ROLLING IN HIS GRAVE TO HEAR YOU SPEAK ILL OF THE ANZAC SPIRIT"

Also it's a great roll call to draw in other windowlickers to sign up and bomb brown people

Not disagreeing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

My dad served in the army for 20 years. When I finished school he told me to do anything I wanted, except become a rifleman.

That is my ANZAC day anecdote.

So you became an onion?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Whole lot of anti-Australian sentiment here, don't you know are troops died for your right to praise them unconditionally?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

So you became an onion?

Still a step up from rifleman, really.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

kirbysuperstar posted:

Still a step up from rifleman, really.

Keep telling yourself that when you meet a hungry Tony Abbott in a dark alleyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Lord Bude posted:

Keep telling yourself that when you meet a hungry Tony Abbott in a dark alleyway.

Alright, fess up, how do you know about my repeating nightmare?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

kirbysuperstar posted:

Alright, fess up, how do you know about my repeating nightmare?

Are you an onion, too?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I say unto you, verily, we are all onions in the eyes of Tones.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Great posts today thread.

#lessweforget

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Skellybones posted:

Whole lot of anti-Australian sentiment here, don't you know are troops died for your right to praise them unconditionally?

and by god they will continue to do so

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Every ex-ADF member i knew from living in Townsville for like 20 years were great fellas with their heads screwed on right, which is probably why they were no longer in the army. Sounded like the usual problem with militaries the world over: poo poo floats to the top, and all the clever ones get out to go on and do more with life.

I wouldn't exactly go up to any given military guy in a pub and start heckling him for being a retard or whatever, that really doesn't tend to work well with anyone in any vocation, but there's no way you'd ever catch me in uniform. That poo poo sounds miserable. I'm happy making maps and flying drones for blissfully gay and boring reasons entirely removed from the military. happy We Got Owned day y'all!!!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lest we forget.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

So we're apparently getting French submarines. What does this mean? Is there anywhere that compares the three different bids, or is it all confidential?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I found this which has a quick description of the proposals http://www.reuters.com/article/us-australia-submarines-competition-idUSKCN0UZ316 and I'd heard the Germans had visited SA scouting for locations to set up shop. They'd been looking at Whyalla since we used to have the shipyard here. No idea what the French proposal had planned and the Japanese seemed reluctant to build in SA. A different article which I don't have a link to says a concern with the Japanese proposal was the use of lithium batteries which can be very dangerous but that the Japanese had denied the danger since they use the technology themselves.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 26, 2016

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Is it true that Anzac Day was never really much of a big deal until Howard specifically tried to promote it? I mean I guess we didn't really have any wars between Vietnam and Afghanistan.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I've heard people say that about Australia day but not ANZAC day. I think attributing it all to Howard is probably overestimating his abilities anyway.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Australia Day wasn't a holiday in every state until the mid 90's so it kinda took off after then. I think that actually happened during Keating's reign anyway (1994 IIRC).

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Tones promised the subs to Japan. Hurt feelings now

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

Tones promised the subs to Japan. Hurt feelings now

Many Sudokos will be commited today.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Treasurer Scott Morrison has a lot on his mind a week out from the federal budget.

Which explains a seniors moment on Anzac Day.

Mr Morrison forgot to apply the handbrake when he parked his car at a dawn service he attended in his southern-Sydney electorate.

A constituent alerted him to the error just as the car began to roll away. Fortunately, no harm was done.

"It was early in the morning and I appreciate the help from one of my good shire mates," Mr Morrison told Ray Hadley on radio 2GB on Tuesday.

"It was not one of my finest driving moments."

Hadley warned the treasurer there would be many similar moments as he gets older, but Mr Morrison is not too worried.

"(My wife) Jen can drive. She's a much better driver than me."

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Malcolm Turnbull hits back at Grattan Institute over negative gearing

The prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, has used a blog post to criticise the Grattan Institute’s new report on negative gearing, saying it is “littered with factually incorrect statements” and its economic analysis “leaves a lot to be desired”.

In a post on his website, Turnbull says he has a great deal of respect for the Grattan Institute and its chief executive, John Daley, “but on this occasion they have it wrong”.

The well-respected Grattan Institute released a report on Monday, Hot property: negative gearing and capital gains tax reform, arguing that the government’s dire warnings that rents will soar and property prices will crash if negative gearing and the capital gains tax discount are wound back are not supported by the facts.

It has raised the temperature of the already heated debate over housing investment policy, coming just one day after Turnbull promised not touch negative gearing in his May 3 budget.

The treasurer, Scott Morrison, also hit out against the report, which claims the government’s dire warnings about changes to negative gearing are wrong.

Turnbull says current policy settings are helping “mum and dad investors” and that Labor’s policy – to restrict negative gearing to new housing and to cut the capital gains tax discount from 50% to 25% – would send rents soaring and property prices crashing.

The Grattan Institute report shows negative gearing largely benefits the wealthy, with the top 10% of income earners before rental deductions getting almost 50% of the tax benefits.

It also shows the current regime allows investors to reduce and defer their personal income tax, at an annual cost of $11bn to taxpayers.

It says the government could raise $5.3bn a year – with little effect on house prices or housing supply – if it cut the capital gains tax discount from 50% to 25% and limited negative gearing by preventing losses on passive investments from being written off against wage and salary income.

It then explains why those changes would not hurt the economy like the government has been claiming.

“Our best estimate is that the changes we recommend might lead to property prices up to 2% lower than [they] otherwise [would be],” the report says. “There will be little impact on rents, or on the rate of new development, even in the long term.”

The treasurer told the ABC on Tuesday that the report recommends hitting mum and dad investors with higher taxes.

Morrison then said the report actually confirms what that government has been saying – that changes to negative gearing and the capital gains tax discount would undermine the value of homes, would increase rents and would not help housing supply.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/apr/26/malcolm-turnbull-hits-back-at-grattan-institute-over-negative-gearing

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
How would rents rise as house prices crash?
I mean I'm not that good at economics, but house prices crashed, wouldn't that lead to people that would then be able to afford it buying houses, leading to less renters leading to downward pressure on renting prices?

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but it just seems counter intuitive that house prices would go one way while rental prices would go the other.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

freebooter posted:

Is it true that Anzac Day was never really much of a big deal until Howard specifically tried to promote it? I mean I guess we didn't really have any wars between Vietnam and Afghanistan.

It had been on the upswing for a while before he became PM but he did reshape it as a more explicit proxy for conservative anglo iconography.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Investors get scared of declining value in vacant properties so try to make up the loss by raising rent on occupied propertiesm

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Ket posted:

How would rents rise as house prices crash?
I mean I'm not that good at economics, but house prices crashed, wouldn't that lead to people that would then be able to afford it buying houses, leading to less renters leading to downward pressure on renting prices?

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but it just seems counter intuitive that house prices would go one way while rental prices would go the other.

Turnbull's argument (from what I have seen) is that landlords would increase rents to cover the shortfall in losing the NG deduction.

Which they could try and wonder why their properties sit vacant because there are now fewer renters and lower demand for rental properties.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
It's always amusing when the "free market party" demonstrates conclusively that the have no idea about market economics.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

Turnbull's argument (from what I have seen) is that landlords would increase rents to cover the shortfall in losing the NG deduction.

Which they could try and wonder why their properties sit vacant because there are now fewer renters and lower demand for rental properties.

Isn't that why a vacancy tax is being proposed to force investor properties onto the rental market? Turnbull's BS is classic muddy the waters he-said she-said. Apparently the Grattan Institute is both wrong AND confirms what the government is saying. Although we already know Morrison and Turnbull can't get their BS straight.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ewe2 posted:

Isn't that why a vacancy tax is being proposed to force investor properties onto the rental market? Turnbull's BS is classic muddy the waters he-said she-said. Apparently the Grattan Institute is both wrong AND confirms what the government is saying. Although we already know Morrison and Turnbull can't get their BS straight.

I haven't heard anything about a vacancy tax, I think the much more straightforward answer is that rents fall in line with market demand. A landlord who increased prices would likely have a vacant property and would soon find themselves up a particular creek.

Like how a market is supposed to work, somebody tell SloMo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

As argued many times, MB sees the removal of negative gearing as price negative for capital values and rents:

- landlords exist in a market and can’t just jack up rents any time they like;

- renters will shift to buying as prices fall taking pressure off rents;

- although investment into housing will also fall, given 90% of negatively geared investment goes into existing stock already that’s hardly a bad thing, especially if it shifts more towards the productive use in constructing new dwellings, adding more to growth, creating jobs (and also weighing on rents);

- any fall in house prices will be cushioned by falling interest rates which will in turn lower the currency, boosting tradable sector growth. This is structural reform par excellence that helps restore Australian competitiveness via the internal and external deflations that are precisely what the nation needs in its post-mining boom adjustment.

But don’t just take my word for it. Let’s ask that other Malcolm Turnbull, the one we used to see before he was engulfed by the Australian vampire squid, from his 2005 tax paper:

“Australia’s rules on negative gearing are very generous compared to many other countries…the normal deductibility principles do not apply to negatively geared real estate such that the taxpayer is not obliged to demonstrate that the negatively geared property will generate positive cash flow at some point in the distant future”.

Oh dear.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/04/turnbull-blog-flames-grattan-self/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Today my JSA gave me a "Hygiene Pack" as a reward for showing up to an appointment.

Thank you free market.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Today my JSA gave me a "Hygiene Pack" as a reward for showing up to an appointment.

Thank you free market.

:iceburn:

Also as of today cycling on footpaths is now legal in W.A.

I had no idea it was illegal prior to today.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The vampire squid thing is ok too

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/04/labor-versus-the-giant-australian-vampire-squid/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

They are giving them out to everyone, underemployed uni students are too dumb to bathe you see.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The lowest of low hanging fruit.

I almost bought a copy of "The Short and Excruciatingly Embarrassing Reign of Captain Abbott " but I could have bought any number of books about distateful fuckwits and settled on a biography of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Franklin instead.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-26/federal-budget-deficit-likely-to-keep-blowing-out/7355404

quote:

Budget 2016: Deficit likely to keep blowing out, Deloitte forecast warns By business reporter Michael Janda Updated about 4 hours ago

A leading budget watcher is forecasting a further blow-out in the budget deficit, with the Federal Government's position expected to be $21 billion worse by 2018-19 than forecast in the latest December update. Deloitte Access Economics' Budget Monitor is forecasting a further $16 billion in revenue write-downs over the next few years due to slow wage growth limiting income tax increases and weaker corporate taxes due to China's slowdown. Even the recent bounce in iron ore prices will not be enough to prevent another revenue write-off - Deloitte forecasts that it could add $15 billion in revenue if sustained, but that only cuts by half the $30 billion in write-downs that Deloitte would otherwise forecast. The report warned that a rising Australian dollar is likely to offset many of the revenue benefits from a stronger iron ore price. While revenue write-downs are the biggest short-term hit to the budget, the report's author Chris Richardson said spending increases over the past decade shoulder more of the blame. "Most of the mistakes in the budget in Australia over the last decade have actually been in spending and we'd be comfortable to see the bulk of budget repair done on the spending side," he told ABC News Online. "Equally, you cannot ignore the revenue side. Taxes have to go up too."

Mr Richardson has advised that the Government needs to be brave as it prepares the Pre-Election Fiscal Outlook (PEFO) document in order to avoid budget shock. "During an election campaign, they do get one chance — one shot — to tell their true view to all Australians ahead of the election," he said. Mr Richardson was equally scathing of both major parties for failing to sell the need for spending cuts and tax increases to narrow the deficit. The party that proves the best at juggling economic prowess with fairness will enjoy almost certain electoral victory. The Coalition faces its first test next week. e also reserved particular criticism for Treasury and the Department of Finance for their 2013 Pre-Election Fiscal Outlook (PEFO), which he dubbed the "Pixies, Elves and Fairies Outlook". "PEFO ignored the specific promises to spend a lot more and relied on that overarching promise to keep spending on a tighter rein," he said. "That meant there were large, unidentified savings implicit in what both sides were taking to the election." Mr Richardson cited funding commitments such as the National Disability Insurance Scheme and Gonski school funding reforms, while there was a budget commitment to limit spending growth to inflation plus 2 per cent, without specific plan of how to achieve that limit. He is hoping that Treasury will be a lot braver and more honest in this year's pre-election assessment of the Federal Government's finances, so that the election can be fought on the basis of a realistic set of numbers.

Debt to rise above levels that 'triggered previous downgrades'

Credit ratings agencies are also hoping to see concrete moves by the Government to narrow the deficit in the budget, with Moody's recently warning that tax increases would be needed in addition to spending cuts. Mr Richardson said Australia does not deserve to lose its AAA credit rating, given relatively low Government debt compared with international peers, but a downgrade over the next couple of years is not impossible. "Our projections would actually have net debt, net federal debt, as a proportion of national income rising to close to 20 per cent of that income and really only tailing away very slowly," he observed. "That's a higher level than has triggered previous downgrades from AAA ratings in Australia."

Now when even the economic drys come out and (reluctantly) insist that taxation has to increase you know that the story being sold to you by Sco Mo and Co. is utter ballderdash with a sprinkling of manure.

But wait there's something way more important OVER THERE OH LOOK AND IT'S SPARKLY!

Cynical dole bludgers making us sick

Daily Rash of Telling poo poo

quote:

MORE than 70,000 dole bludgers are exploiting a medical loophole to avoid having to get a job by claiming they are too sick to work. In some parts of Sydney and the Central Coast more than 50 per cent of all dole recipients use GP sick notes to claim they are too unwell to hold down a job. An investigation by the Department of Human Services has uncovered what the Turnbull government believes is widespread rorting of the medical loophole by some dole bludgers, as well as unscrupulous GPs. The most common conditions that are used to avoid working include depression, anxiety, muscular-skeletal problems, drug addiction and alcohol dependence. The figures, obtained by the Herald Sun, reveal almost 8 per cent of all Newstart, youth allowance and single-parent payment recipients use GP medical certificates to get around mandatory jobseeking requirements. They are all welfare recipients who are deemed not to be sick enough to receive the Disability Support Pension.
And oh gently caress look it's not even true.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/disability-support-pension

quote:

You may receive Disability Support Pension if you:

are aged between 16 years and age pension age
meet the residency requirements
meet the income and assets tests for your situation
and either:

are permanently blind
or all of the following:

are assessed as having a physical, intellectual or psychiatric impairment,
are unable to work, or be retrained for work, for 15 hours or more per week at or above the relevant minimum wage within the next 2 years because of your impairment, and have actively participated in, or completed, a Program of Support if required
To assess your eligibility for Disability Support Pension, we need medical evidence to help us understand your disability, injury or illness. You may need to attend an assessment with a Job Capacity Assessor and government-contracted doctor. This helps us determine whether you can work, how much work you can do and how much help you need to find and keep a job.

This was the front page on the Telegraph. I suppose it could have been worse, with even more space given to our latest TERROR MINNOW or is that minor?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-26/teen-charged-with-anzac-day-terror-plot-'will-plead-not-guilty'/7357624

quote:

Sydney teen charged with Anzac Day terror plot will plead not guilty, lawyer says By Jessica Kidd, staff Updated about an hour ago

The lawyer for a 16-year-old Sydney boy charged over an alleged Anzac Day terror plot has told Parramatta Children's Court his client is pleading not guilty to the charge.

Key points

Lawyer says boy will plead not guilty and apply for bail on Friday
Police say they intercepted messages between him and IS recruiter
Boy allegedly tried to obtain gun for use at Anzac Day event
Magistrate grants prosecution six weeks; case will return in June
The teenager is charged with planning or preparing to commit a terrorist act by trying to obtain a gun, which police say he intended to use at an Anzac Day event.

It is understood messages intercepted by police made reference to April 25, but did not disclose a specific location or time. The boy was arrested on Sunday near his home in Auburn in Sydney's west, after an investigation by officers attached to Operation Vianden. He did not appear in court for the brief hearing surrounding his case. His lawyer, Zemarai Khatiz, said his client would apply for bail on Friday. Mr Khatiz said he had arranged for an expert psychologist to assess the boy while he was in custody, and the assessment would form the basis of the bail application. "The psychological impact of long-term incarceration will be a very relevant and powerful factor in that bail application," he told the court. Prosecutor Chris Choi told the court police would oppose bail, adding that the prosecution required 10 weeks to prepare their brief of evidence. "We need 10 weeks because there are a number of electronic devices that require examination," she said. Magistrate Elizabeth Ryan granted the prosecution six weeks to prepare the brief, which means the matter will return to court in June.

Teen 'linked to Islamic State recruiter'

Security was increased at Anzac Day events following the teenager's arrest. Police sources have told the ABC's 7:30 he had been on their radar since a Melbourne terrorism plot in May last year. He was allegedly in contact with police as part of an intervention program attempting to disrupt overseas recruitment for the Islamic State (IS) jihadist group. Counter-terrorism sources told 7.30 they also allegedly discovered communications between the 16-year-old and a younger boy who has previously been charged under Operation Appleby with preparing a terrorist attack, along with four other members of an alleged terror cell. They found communications between him and senior Islamic State recruiter Neil Prakash, and, after raiding his home, signed him up to the program after speaking to his parents, police told 7.30. The program uses mentors, psychologists, religious leaders, teachers and work placements to try and steer a handful of young extremists away from IS. It targets young people who are no longer the focus of police or ASIO investigations and who are considered open to diversion strategies.

Federal Justice Minister Michael Keenan said on Monday there was no indication that more arrests would be made in relation to the case. He joined police and NSW Premier Mike Baird in calling for people to put concerns over safety to the back of their minds, and attend Anzac Day events.
So if you didn't read it this kid was previously targeted by police and subjected to an anti-radicalisation program. Well it would seem the only thing working here are our terror alert knee jerks and gun laws. Everything else appears to be a complete failure. Or was it always intended to fail? Say it isn't so.

How about some evidence rather than anecdote?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-26/navy-officer-reports-assault-on-anzac-day-train-service/7356920

quote:

Navy officer reports being assaulted after Anzac Day service posted about 6 hours ago

A Navy officer has been assaulted on a train after attending an Anzac Day ceremony, according to police. The alleged assault took place on a train stopped at Glenfied Station in Sydney's west. The 24-year-old told police he saw a group of men drinking and harassing other train passengers while he was on his way home from Sydney's Anzac Day memorial service in the city, on Monday afternoon. After approaching the group and asking them to stop drinking and disturbing other passengers, he said one of the men in the group punched him in the face as he was getting off the train. The officer was in full uniform, AAP reported. He suffered a bloody nose but did not need to go to hospital. Police are now looking for the man involved.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-26/adf-members-seek-ptsd-treatment-in-secrecy/7356718

quote:

ADF personnel seek PTSD treatment in secrecy to avoid 'career suicide', members say Exclusive by Alexandra Fisher Updated about 2 hours ago

Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel are being treated in secret for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental health conditions to avoid jeopardising their careers, according to serving and former members.

Key points:

ADF members say they speak to mental health professionals outside the Department
Talking about mental illness could jeopardise worker's career, members say
ADF says reporting mental illness ensures members are provided with proper support
James (not his real name) has just recently retired from a 25-year career in the Australian Army and said he never told the ADF he had PTSD.

"I'd go and speak to professionals outside of Defence," he said. "I'd go see a psychologist and talk to them about what was wrong." The ADF told the ABC in a statement that members were required to tell them if they were being treated outside the ADF system.(We're not bullies but,) But James said if he spoke up about his mental illness, he risked his career. "There are lots and lots of guys and women who get treatment outside of Defence because as soon as you put your hand up and say there is something wrong ... you get treated completely differently," he said. "You're almost alienated from the system ... you can't go to work, you can't drive a vehicle, can't carry a weapon." Serving member Mark (not his real name) told the ABC he was being treated for depression, also outside the system without the ADF knowing. "It is to protect my career, by bringing it up it would hinder any further career [opportunities]. It is career suicide," Mark said.

Another serving member Scott (not his real name) said his case showed what could happen when you were honest about your symptoms.

He said he was downgraded to a non-deployable status after revealing during a mandatory post-deployment debrief that he had recurring dreams. "When we get home, if we're having nightmares and the like, which is the body's natural reaction to this trauma, we should [be] able to talk about it without it becoming career suicide," he said. Scott believed some soldiers could continue in their roles with mental health conditions. "People have a lot of individual coping mechanisms, they're still good at their job, they're great at their job," he said. "But if you were to present with three different things that ultimately tick the boxes for PTSD, you're diagnosed and you're no longer deployable for that period of time until you can get an upgrade."

Stressful situations 'likely to exacerbate symptoms'

In a statement, the ADF said some members who present with mental health conditions may have their deployable status reclassified while undergoing treatment. It said that was to ensure members were provided with proper support and the opportunity to recover. Psychologist Melissa Harries worked for the ADF for about 10 years, and said it was upholding its duty of care. "Someone who has post-traumatic stress disorder for example, and they are currently experiencing symptoms, if we put that person under stress or pressure or expose them to further trauma, then that's likely to exacerbate their symptoms," Dr Harries said. She said she was aware of people being treated in secret outside of the ADF. "I actually think that's okay," Dr Harries said. "It's not desirable but I'd rather those people be accessing support regardless of where it comes from."

Don't ask don't tell.

I got through ANZAC day without seeing anything that disturbed me much. I can not fathom the AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI crowd though. ANZAC was a massive failure. Our forefathers wanted us to remember what it meant to follow a foreign master into a stupid conflict half way around the world. Want to remember and honour their memory?

quote:

ANZAC COMMENT 1: It was a mistake, alltogether.

ANZAC COMMENT 2: Not Australia, wasn’t Australia’s war. It was England and France against Germany.

ANZAC COMMENT 3: The Turks didn't want to fight us. They’re good people, they’re like us. Couldn’t understand at all, none of them could, why we were fighting for England.

ANZAC COMMENT 4: I think (inaudible) 19 on Gallipoli and we were there for nine months, so I was only 18 when we landed there. Now I’ll be 100 on the 11th of November, the day the war ended. (inaudible) I never have or ever did have.

ANZAC 5: Well I think there’s only one word; adventure, thought it was you go to see what it was like and see the other countries, that’s all. Nothing else, curiosity. (laughs) We soon found out what it was like.

ANZAC COMMENT 6: I didn’t want to go, I had a girlfriend, I was very much in love with her. But my young brother was going so I couldn’t let him go on his own. That’s why I joined the army, not for any heroic reasons or anything like that.

ANZAC COMMENT 7: Oh yes, I told a lie. I told them I was 18 and I was 16. And if you were big enough you were good enough. I don’t know, everyone was doing it, it seemed a romantic sort of thing to do.

ANZAC COMMENT 8: Although not all Australians felt like that, not by any means. You know what a lot of them called us? Five bob a day murderers. That’s what we were called.

ANZAC COMMENT 9: Everyone was talking to us about king and country and all the rest of the tripe that a lot of them go on with. (inaudible) was so wonderful that they wanted (inaudible) in my opinion.

ANZAC COMMENT 10: I didn’t know anything about war, neither did all the others. And I never been in war before, that was the first time they’d heard a shot fired against them.

ANZAC COMMENT 11: I was the observer for the (inaudible) and while I was there, the machine gun opened fire. Oh, run across my head, and I got down quick and lively. And I was (inaudible) down there and he come down and ‘what are you doing there’. I was (inaudible). He said no-one hear you. Nobody told me that.

ANZAC COMMENT 12: It was a mistake where we landed, but either we drifted down or somebody made a mistake.

ANZAC COMMENT 13: We tried to blame one another for the mistake. It was definitely they should never have landed where they did. It was ridiculous. They had a beach about as wide as from here to the wall and you had straight up a hill. No wonder they all got killed.

ANZAC COMMENT 14: We lost a terrible lot of men, really. And the British and actually even those days, the Turks didn’t want to fight us. An old lady, she asked me through the interpreter why are they shooting at us and I said I don’t know and then she said neither do we know, which was lovely.

ANZAC COMMENT 15: We were their enemies. We shouldn’t have been but we were. I would say that that was due to politicians, there was that many dead that an awful smell... buried them but they didn’t get a private grave, they buried them in a common grave just dug a hole and buried them. I remember thinking, so you can get used to anything. Bringing down Turkish bodies, laying out in the sun, and all blown-up... taking them down past where we were and we were having a meal, I don’t know which meal it was, and they just went on eating. How terrible that is, that you can do that to a human being when he is dead.

ANZAC COMMENT 16: The War was not sensible. They don't act sensibly and it's a stupid business all together, war, I think.

ANZAC COMMENT 17: There’s only one reason to go to war and that is to defend your own country, but never get involved in foreign wars. And I was thinking mostly of Vietnam at the time, that’s a war that never should have been fought in any case, and we had no business whatever to go there.

ANZAC COMMENT 18: Look after your own country but don't go over to any fighting over the world.

ANZAC COMMENT 19: Have peace. Try and live in peace without war.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

I haven't heard anything about a vacancy tax, I think the much more straightforward answer is that rents fall in line with market demand. A landlord who increased prices would likely have a vacant property and would soon find themselves up a particular creek.

Like how a market is supposed to work, somebody tell SloMo

It's being suggested in Melbourne by Launch Housing, who specialize in the housing needs of domestic violence victims:

quote:

Not for Profit housing provider, Launch Housing, has proposed a tax on vacant properties to increase funding to support women and children experiencing homelessness after fleeing family violence.

The proposal to the Victorian Government would involve taxing thousands of houses that are left unoccupied for a long period of time and the NFP claimed it could raise up to $78 million annually.

“This would have the dual effect of raising much needed funds to implement the recommendations of the Royal Commission into Family Violence and increasing the number of properties available on the market,” chief executive officer of Launch Housing, Tony Keenan, said.

“Research indicates there could be between 22,000 and 55,000 vacant properties in Melbourne. However, last year alone, more than 1,000 family violence victims missed out on housing support because there are simply not enough houses available.

“It seems absurd that thousands of perfectly good properties sit empty while Melbourne is in the middle of a housing crisis. We want to quickly move women and children into safe accommodation but we don’t have access to the houses.”

Not a bad idea IMHO, not a total solution, but definitely a negotiating position.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

They are giving them out to everyone, underemployed uni students are too dumb to bathe you see.

Is that a shave stick? If so, is that a thing again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Remember to wear a helmet when you go for a ride on the footpath

• Locked thread