Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

computer parts posted:

In Conroe news,

Hobbes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So apparently Austin is voting on uber fingerprinting? I guess they are intending on fooling people since it's obvious that uber won't leave Austin even if it does have to fingerprint, especially since Houston already requires it

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 26, 2016

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

blackguy32 posted:

So b apparently Austin is voting on uber fingerprinting? I guess they are intending on fooling people since it's obvious that uber won't leave Austin even if it does have to fingerprint, especially since Houston already requires it

I don't even live in Austin proper and I'm seeing yard signs and poo poo about this.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

So b apparently Austin is voting on uber fingerprinting? I guess they are intending on fooling people since it's obvious that uber won't leave Austin even if it does have to fingerprint, especially since Houston already requires it

My sister just told me yesterday she is now working as an Uber driver. I didn't even know about what she had to do. She just said there was a lot. I was dying to ask her how she
handles insurance.
She was doing it on the side to supplement her full-time job but the floods destroyed her workplace and they laid her off on Monday. She was in real estate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PostNouveau posted:

Is that a leash?

While a pet tiger on a leash is technically better than a pet tiger not on a leash, there was at least one poor decision somewhere in this chain.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

blackguy32 posted:

I've heard some of the Uber supporters try to claim that they really will leave like they are threatening, because "they left Midland and Galveston!"

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

blackguy32 posted:

gently caress Uber.

e_angst posted:

I've heard some of the Uber supporters try to claim that they really will leave like they are threatening, because "they left Midland and Galveston!"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I am kind of interested to see the long term effects of how the Uber situation will go. I don't think the current prices will hold up and I wonder how much support will Uber still get once prices start swelling.

e_angst posted:

At this point, the only voice of support I usually hear is about how it reduces drunk driving.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It doesn't help that the ballot language is super confusing. I voted yesterday and I'm only 90% I voted the way I meant to.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

blackguy32 posted:

I am kind of interested to see the long term effects of how the Uber situation will go. I don't think the current prices will hold up and I wonder how much support will Uber still get once prices start swelling.

Fighting for lesser barriers to entry is their plan to stop price increases. As long as there's always another sucker ready to start driving for Uber, they can keep prices so low that the drivers barely break even after costs and depreciation.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Badger of Basra posted:

It doesn't help that the ballot language is super confusing. I voted yesterday and I'm only 90% I voted the way I meant to.

That's a feature, not a bug.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Make sure to hang those chads!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Still confusing as hell: http://kut.org/post/explaining-exactly-what-yes-and-no-vote-prop-1-means

Yes means no background checks and no means yes to background checks.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

an iksar monk posted:

Still confusing as hell: http://kut.org/post/explaining-exactly-what-yes-and-no-vote-prop-1-means

Yes means no background checks and no means yes to background checks.

Think of the ballot language as asking: Do you want Uber to be able to gently caress over the city however it wants? Yes or no?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/725033224292823040

People from San Antonio will still be able to tell.

Also:

HMMMMMMMM

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 26, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

God dammit I hate these companies so much. Their ads are so disingenuous it hurts. I don't give a poo poo about the fingerprinting policy as long as whatever is decided is equalized with existing taxi companies, but I'm fully on board with the NO campaign because this is nearly hostage-taking.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I know this starts a long debate every time but what are the alternatives to Uber? When I'm traveling for work it's a life saver. I remember being in NYC standing out in the rain with a ton of translation equipment about 10 years ago and having no luck hailing a cab, when I called to try to get one to my location they said they only would take me to the airport. Sometimes it's not in the budget to have a car service especially when half of the work I'm doing involves non profits. The taxis sucked in New York City, a place known for having a ton of taxis. So any Texas city would benefit from the option of Uber, it's not like public transportation is great in our cities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never used a ride sharing app but I thought it was cheaper than taxis, but my friends tell me that the only advantage over a regular taxi is that the cars are nicer.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
It's been cheaper than cabs every time I've used them, but in my experience they tend to get lost more, and sometimes you gotta deal with your driver staring at his phone the entire time while driving

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

I've never used a ride sharing app but I thought it was cheaper than taxis, but my friends tell me that the only advantage over a regular taxi is that the cars are nicer.

Where in Texas are you where you can walk out to the street and get a cab in under two minutes? Uber and Lyft are really super convenient with reasonable prices. They just happen to be libertarian shitlords who provide those great prices by loving their drivers and bullying local government.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I know this starts a long debate every time but what are the alternatives to Uber? When I'm traveling for work it's a life saver. I remember being in NYC standing out in the rain with a ton of translation equipment about 10 years ago and having no luck hailing a cab, when I called to try to get one to my location they said they only would take me to the airport. Sometimes it's not in the budget to have a car service especially when half of the work I'm doing involves non profits. The taxis sucked in New York City, a place known for having a ton of taxis. So any Texas city would benefit from the option of Uber, it's not like public transportation is great in our cities.

It's not banning Uber. There will be no Texas Rangers ruthlessly pursuing people giving other people a ride in their car. It's just requiring a loving background check before you can operate as an independent contractor. Don't buy in to the marketing/politicking.

Fuckers already ponied up a hundred million to settle a similar question elsewhere. They can spend a little more here.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The cars are nicer, and depending on who you ask either uber drivers or taxi companies are racists who won't serve minority areas.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

citybeatnik posted:

It's not banning Uber. There will be no Texas Rangers ruthlessly pursuing people giving other people a ride in their car. It's just requiring a loving background check before you can operate as an independent contractor. Don't buy in to the marketing/politicking.

Fuckers already ponied up a hundred million to settle a similar question elsewhere. They can spend a little more here.

Agreed. We don't need an alternative to Uber, we just need Uber to follow the same rules that apply to taxi companies.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

What's sad is I don't even care about the price. They could double the prices and I would still use uber. Getting a taxi is about as pleasant as taking a hammer to my fingers. I can pull up my app and request an uber and I know they're on the way and an approximate arrival time.

Compare this to a calling a number that someone may or may not answer, will tell me a cab will be there in an hour, and then that cab never shows up.

Give me the app and the convenience with the higher prices and real employees with benefits and a union and I'll use it. Until then there's no choice because for all intents and purposes the taxi might as well not exist.

Also gently caress Cap metro for the lovely service hours. I took the bus to and from the airport every chance I could and it was amazing. $2 and one transfer from ABIA to Anderson? Hell yeah. Too bad everything shuts down after 11pm (I think? Haven't lived in Austin in 16 months)

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 27, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, thats the thing. Uber and Lyft are really nice platforms and great ideas, but the companies are being real shitlords about how they are merely providing a platform for independent contractors. So far the least skeeziest of services I have used is Uber black car since the cars on that service are usually driven by people who work for transportation companies. But I have only used that service twice so your mileage may vary.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
All this discussion of Uber and now that my sister has been pulled in motivated me to see what some of the drivers are saying :
http://uberpeople.net/forums/Houston/

There are some really mad Uber drivers.

Oh, and please tip. It is NOT included in the fare. It seems to be a huge issue for the drivers.
HAHAHA...just saw a Buzzfeed blogger in there today looking to talk to present Uber drivers. Posted in the One Month Analysis thread.

Svanja fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 27, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Svanja posted:

All this discussion of Uber and now that my sister has been pulled in motivated me to see what some of the drivers are saying :

Oh, and please tip. It is NOT included in the fare. It seems to be a huge issue for the drivers.

I don't think Uber even lets you tip on the app. Lyft does, but Uber doesn't. If you want to tip, it has to be in cash when you use Uber.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think Uber even lets you tip on the app. Lyft does, but Uber doesn't. If you want to tip, it has to be in cash when you use Uber.

You are correct. There is a lot of posts with drivers pissed off because (in their minds) people use that as an excuse to be cheap.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I just use the yellow cab app here in SATX, works just fine. Also, background checks is one of several reasons they left here. They gave in after a couple months, such a weird thing to fight. Altho I suppose once you've passed the background checks and got some experience with Uber, you could then work for yellow cab and make better money.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Svanja posted:

HAHAHA...just saw a Buzzfeed blogger in there today looking to talk to present Uber drivers. Posted in the One Month Analysis thread.

That is a really good thread that points out why being a ridesharer is a stupid thing to do.

Svanja posted:

You are correct. There is a lot of posts with drivers pissed off because (in their minds) people use that as an excuse to be cheap.

I don't mind tipping, but when I used Uber, it was because everything was done through the app. Although I get the feeling that a lot of other people will suddenly get pretty pissed about having to tip if they do decide to change it.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I don't mind tipping, but when I used Uber, it was because everything was done through the app. Although I get the feeling that a lot of other people will suddenly get pretty pissed about having to tip if they do decide to change it.

Having it available doesn't mean you have to tip, but it sure would remove any question whether they can or an excuse that they can't because they don't carry cash.

In other Texas Political news: our politicians are still deathly afraid if the refugees arriving in Texas:
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/new...remium-referral

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

While a pet tiger on a leash is technically better than a pet tiger not on a leash, there was at least one poor decision somewhere in this chain.

I'm the idiot that would probably die trying to get a hold of the leash and getting the Tiger to settle down so it wasn't shot by the police.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

Reik posted:

I'm the idiot that would probably die trying to get a hold of the leash and getting the Tiger to settle down so it wasn't shot by the police.

http://fox13now.com/2016/04/22/tiger-found-wandering-around-houston/

quote:

Erin Poole told the affiliate her boyfriend Jonathan Gessner got out of the car and said “I’m going to go catch it.”

She said the tiger assumed a pouncing position behind a bush and she was scared it was going to attack him. But what happened next was a surprise.

“When it started running toward me and it jumped on me and started licking me in the face, I started playing with it and petting it and everything,” Gessner said.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Oh my goodness, that guy was a complete idiot!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Svanja posted:

Oh my goodness, that guy was a complete idiot!

Well, he is (and nearly was) a Texan. It's not like we raise them smart around here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Reik posted:

It looks like a modestly sized tiger (at present :ohdear:) and I would totally believe that as below it may have been treated like any other cat.

It looks like it only comes up to the top of a pickup tire. It won't take your head off if it gets playful, and its odds of severing an artery if it kneads its paws on your leg are probably only about 5%. :3:

(The bad scenario is if it was abused or neglected, but the leash is a good sign)

I probably would have talked to it from the car, and may conceivably have gotten out if it seemed like a nice kitty.

Edit: I am glad it was a very nice kitty, although I am also okay with the owner being prosecuted if he hosed up anything at any point. Sounds like it would be a great zoo kitty if necessary!

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 28, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It looks like a modestly sized tiger (at present :ohdear:) and I would totally believe that as below it may have been treated like any other cat.

It looks like it only comes up to the top of a pickup tire. It won't take your head off if it gets playful, and its odds of severing an artery if it kneads its paws on your leg are probably only about 5%. :3:

(The bad scenario is if it was abused or neglected, but the leash is a good sign)

I probably would have talked to it from the car, and may conceivably have gotten out if it seemed like a nice kitty.

Edit: I am glad it was a very nice kitty, although I am also okay with the owner being prosecuted if he hosed up anything at any point. Sounds like it would be a great zoo kitty if necessary!

It was being moved out of a rescue center temporarily due to flooding, unfortunately the handler was not ready for it and it ended up getting loose. Also apparently it was declawed at some point so it's not likely to sever any arteries.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Is anyone else experiencing rage from neighbors about property taxes in their areas? It may be just a Fort Bend County thing but people are angry. I understand it's unfair the burden of property taxes are placed on residential compared to commercial properties but in our areas at least the appraisals are still under selling value. This is came up and people are revving up to be heard http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/schedules/html/C6322016051009001.HTM

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah those poor poor property owners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Property taxes in Texas are actually really high but the solution is to put in an income tax so nothing's going to be done about it.