Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Solarin posted:

I just noticed there's some other CIG employees on the Sunny's Diner podcast that Sandi has that cringe inducing interview with. Anybody bother to listen to the other episodes? One from Ben here for example:

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/old-republic-radio/sunnys-diner/e/sunnys-diner-episode-3k12-ben-lesnick-32690975

Probably less fun than Sandi's, but I may just be bored enough to skim it

sunny's diner lmao, is that the one where she talks about her fake dolls being real and poo poo? sooo loving cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jason Sextro posted:

The guy who was asked a simple question about persistence, in the Persistent Universe, and was unable to answer it with any kind of coherence or succinctly is directing Squadron 42. It's no wonder the script is the size of the phone book, that must be cut down from the first draft.

the best part at some point after the laughing subsides, you remember that all these were prerecorded and he had ample opportunity to not only select the most favorable fawning questions, but to also write out a script so he could answer them coherently

and the laughing starts again

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Me after the most recent 10FTC

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

You also can't be in the year 2942, it's loving 2016. It's all make-believe, but still chris pulls a :smuggo: and goes "heh heh nooo guys, sorry no way you can't bank while doing an imaginary jump drive through hyperspace, that's ABSURD!"

I wonder if the Vanduul attacked on December 7, 2941.

It rhymes and all that poo poo.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Beanie Babies failed because the perception of rarity was tied to a physical object. CIG is closer to a cult promising gaming salvation than a company actually selling a product. Derek has basically created another faith, this one centered around the perception of imminent failure and assured hilarity.

This thread sees stupid poo poo like Ben's archives of idiocy with the same enthusiasm that backers see a new gun or ship sale. People on both sides are so desperate for something to happen that they will latch on to anything. Now the difference is that here on SA we're mostly taking the piss out of things (and making hilarious videos and pics) while over there the remaining diehards are still apparently giving money. But I think both sides are guilty of seeing what they want and not what's there.

My feeling is that this will not end soon. There will be attrition that Derek sees as victories, and there will be releases that backers point to as validation. In the end, however, it will all come down to Squadron 42. And there Chris Roberts will fail in a way that will utterly humiliate him. Not only because the gameplay (that he doesn't care about) will be shallow and painfully generic, but because the narrative and directing will be mocked. How do I know this? Because what you see is what you get.

Around the same time SC started I was hyped up about SimCity. Many of you may recall how much of an embarrassing disaster that game was, with the developers outright lying about some things (like having to be online) and many of the core mechanics relying on a framework that was utterly inappropriate for most of the game. What's interesting is that everything was evident from before the game went live, but most of us would be deluded into thinking it was okay. I learned a valuable lesson from Maxis; expect what you see and nothing more.

So what have we seen?

This:

https://youtu.be/qexLUpQJPw8

And this:

https://youtu.be/8EC4WHPxnrk

And this:

https://youtu.be/f7yHpeDbKRw

That, until CIG provides something else, is what you should expect for Squadron 42. And frankly that looks like poo poo.

From a ways back, but a-loving-men.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Risc1911 posted:

So the whole Quantum Drive presentation was hype and fidelity that is now not actually in the game?

Original Hype Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5FBGfXACM

Reality: 18:03 - Q: Will the quantum drive be steerable?

That video is actually a jumpoint/wormhole being navigated between systems which is done at normal 'flying' speeds because you're supposed to be maneuvering to survive the jump as opposed to quantum drive, which is to get around within a system at 0.2c. However, his 'tremendous g's if you tried to turn' thing is still every bit as idiotic and wrong as it sounds, and a bit of sustained stupidity that forms the foundation the 'realistic' physics are built on.

Here's a great site explaining just how mistaken CR's infantile understanding of g's in space is: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/misconceptions.php

e: this section in particular http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunexotic.php#fighters

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 26, 2016

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

My posting has slowed down cause I really can't think of anything that hasn't been said.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the best part at some point after the laughing subsides, you remember that all these were prerecorded and he had ample opportunity to not only select the most favorable fawning questions, but to also write out a script so he could answer them coherently

and the laughing starts again

makes me wonder if there were outtakes,

but there probably weren't. CR just doesn't like to plan out anything. It surprises me, then, that he has such a lengthy script and screenplay prepared for SQ42.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

He has the hands of a magician. Someone make him do a magic trick!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

With the wave of his magic wand, watch how the codebase for SC becomes SQ42 after a 'patch download'!

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Now watch as all your dollars disappear!

Now they've been turned into indulgent junk for the break room!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

After the thread on insurance a couple days ago, Citizens are starting to worry about losing their ships.

Punishing PvP players
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/327821/punishing-pvp-players

The gist seems to be that combat and ship loss is something to be avoided at all costs. If you want actually want to fight stuff, you should play Arena Commander. If you lose a ship, you are going to have to wait for a new one and pay extra insurance premiums (if you can afford it). Bored of waiting, play Arena Commander or Star Marine in the Sim-pod.

Get killed by an NPC, your fault. Ship explodes because you accidentally mined a volatile space gas (this is apparently a thing), your fault. Clip an asteroid, your fault. You are not being punished for playing the game, you are suffering the consequences for your poor decision making. Hope you never make any mistakes on day one, otherwise there is going to be a lot of waiting for your Aurora to respawn.

Never mind the state of ships in the alpha. How they are very fragile and prone to exploding. Or the huge number of ships designed purely for combat. Or how development has focused on combat first, to the detriment of every other game system.

Unsurprisingly, there are a lot of B'Tak posts.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

ZenMaster posted:

My posting has slowed down cause I really can't think of anything that hasn't been said.

Parp Shitizen?

:gary::gizz:?

Yeah I got nothing

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMaster posted:

Has anybody said buttcoin on this thread?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

trucutru posted:

Has anybody said buttcoin on this thread?

BitButt

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ZenMaster posted:

Ben's tits.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Tokamak posted:

After the thread on insurance a couple days ago, Citizens are starting to worry about losing their ships.

Punishing PvP players
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/327821/punishing-pvp-players

The gist seems to be that combat and ship loss is something to be avoided at all costs. If you want actually want to fight stuff, you should play Arena Commander. If you lose a ship, you are going to have to wait for a new one and pay extra insurance premiums (if you can afford it). Bored of waiting, play Arena Commander or Star Marine in the Sim-pod.

Get killed by an NPC, your fault. Ship explodes because you accidentally mined a volatile space gas (this is apparently a thing), your fault. Clip an asteroid, your fault. You are not being punished for playing the game, you are suffering the consequences for your poor decision making. Hope you never make any mistakes on day one, otherwise there is going to be a lot of waiting for your Aurora to respawn.

Never mind the state of ships in the alpha. How they are very fragile and prone to exploding. Or the huge number of ships designed purely for combat. Or how development has focused on combat first, to the detriment of every other game system.

does LTI have a provision for when your ship starts to spin wildly out of control?

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

SomethingJones posted:

The last one there is a wall of text but guys trust me you need to read all of it

My favorite bit of this is that Croberts is really excited about the amazing futuristic feature of chatting with people in a game while you are not. Absolutely magnificent.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Jason Sextro posted:

CR has lost his drat mind, holy poo poo.
Stay away from cocaine/amphetamines, kids
A cocktail of coping mechanisms for sure.
Remember that quote from Ben where he read the budgets for the WC production and found lots of diems being spent purely on alcohol.

It's interesting watching the videos over the years. He starts off as somewhat glazed over but coherent during the pitch and then right on one of the first Wingman's Hangars he starts off on the dreams tangent with Eric Peterson trying to hold his composure through the long winded ramblings "So there'll be racing?" .."oh..yeah...lots of racing yeah...we want that too".

And Eric. He's likely kicking himself for being fooled again.

Eric posted:

Chris is one of my best friends, but he's also a pain in the arse because he's such a perfectionist. When Chris is focussed, he's unbelievable, but I think Chris now wants to make movies. It became very difficult to get him to make day-to-day decisions on games.

At least he saw enough red flags and bailed. But the RSI team appear to hate his guts.
Eric was pretty well shafted on RSI chat for promoting Descent. Lando smacked him with the ban hammer.

And continuing on with how Chris's reputation began to sour in the industry post Origin, I found this interview with Richard Garriott.

quote:

How did you feel when Chris Roberts left Origin?
It's interesting that whenever people leave it's not usually a surprise, there are usually issues. Chris, in my mind, is one of the few brilliant game visionaries. I think very highly of Chris. But on the flipside, Chris at Origin... We had very strained business relationships. Chris wasn't particularly pleased with how our executive group operated and they weren't too pleased with him.

It's a shame, because Roberts always fancied himself as a film-maker, didn't he?
That was one of the other reasons he left Origin. Chris's drive to make movies is very strong, and we didn't want to back him financially to do that.
The impression I'm getting is despite Chris being gifted, and certainly at one point having enough talent early on in his career, he was given such leeway for effectively creating one of the industry's first big hits that it got so far too his head and EA was so keen on "the next big blockbuster" they let it happen and then realised their mistake.

Any of the behind the scenes videos at the time of WC 3/4 attest he's really playing director and the game is second fiddle. Somewhere around that time he went full rockstar and drowned any remaining talent in a sea of grog and recreational drugs which wasn't helped by a reputation as a stubborn taskmaster fluttered through the industry capped off by him being removed from his self-funded dream project and sending him into a major personal crash.

The tragedy of Star Citizen is that for so many of the key players it's not a quest to create the BDSSE, but to redeem themselves in the eyes of an industry and others who have given up on them.

Sandi, Ortwin, Lando and to a degree Ben, have all become pariahs in their retrospective industry and communities and expect Chris to somehow save them from their own mistakes. Chris makes the major mistake of sympathising with them out of a common bond not realising just how much damage is being done.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Differo Cathedra posted:

My favorite bit of this is that Croberts is really excited about the amazing futuristic feature of chatting with people in a game while you are not. Absolutely magnificent.

My favourite part is when he says that the social aspect of the game will be just like their online forum community.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

SomethingJones posted:

My favourite part is when he says that the social aspect of the game will be just like their online forum community.

Unsolicited Wulge pics for all!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Punishing PvP players

You move a Big Benny's machine? Your fault.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
Thread should just be title - "called it". Seems appropriate.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

WebDog posted:

Remember that quote from Ben where he read the budgets for the WC production and found lots of diems being spent purely on alcohol.

It's interesting watching the videos over the years. He starts off as somewhat glazed over but coherent during the pitch and then right on one of the first Wingman's Hangars he starts off on the dreams tangent with Eric Peterson trying to hold his composure through the long winded ramblings "So there'll be racing?" .."oh..yeah...lots of racing yeah...we want that too".

At least he saw enough red flags and bailed. But the RSI team appear to hate his guts.
Eric was pretty well shafted on RSI chat for promoting Descent. Lando smacked him with the ban hammer.

And continuing on with how Chris's reputation began to sour in the industry post Origin, I found this interview with Richard Garriott.

The impression I'm getting is despite Chris being gifted, and certainly at one point having enough talent early on in his career, he was given such leeway for effectively creating one of the industry's first big hits that it got so far too his head and EA was so keen on "the next big blockbuster" they let it happen and then realised their mistake.

Any of the behind the scenes videos at the time of WC 3/4 attest he's really playing director and the game is second fiddle. Somewhere around that time he went full rockstar and drowned any remaining talent in a sea of grog and recreational drugs which wasn't helped by a reputation as a stubborn taskmaster fluttered through the industry capped off by him being removed from his self-funded dream project and sending him into a major personal crash.

The tragedy of Star Citizen is that for so many of the key players it's not a quest to create the BDSSE, but to redeem themselves in the eyes of an industry and others who have given up on them.

Sandi, Ortwin, Lando and to a degree Ben, have all become pariahs in their retrospective industry and communities and expect Chris to somehow save them from their own mistakes. Chris makes the major mistake of sympathising with them out of a common bond not realising just how much damage is being done.

This makes so much sense, in conjunction with Crobbers' and Sandi's Hollywood delusions. I mean, think about it for a sec....

What happens (in movies) when a ragtag bunch of loveable (just work with me here) losers band together as friends to show the world their worth?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thoatse posted:

That video is actually a jumpoint/wormhole being navigated between systems which is done at normal 'flying' speeds because you're supposed to be maneuvering to survive the jump as opposed to quantum drive, which is to get around within a system at 0.2c. However, his 'tremendous g's if you tried to turn' thing is still every bit as idiotic and wrong as it sounds, and a bit of sustained stupidity that forms the foundation the 'realistic' physics are built on.

Here's a great site explaining just how mistaken CR's infantile understanding of g's in space is: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/misconceptions.php

e: this section in particular http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunexotic.php#fighters

Good thing too. According to my (consistently awful) maths, a 3g turn at 0.2c would give you a turning radius of just over 800 AU. :D

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

I know - I agree - and that's exactly what I said. They've been intentionally pushing the large patches, so once SQ42 code gets pushed as the new PTU code, they're only gonna push the deltas, under the guise of having "improved" the patcher.

There is no delta patching, only file replacement. Their updater is rudimentary at best and isn't capable of such a thing. If there is an engine change it won't matter as the entire game will be redownload since existing ptu assets don't work in squadron 42. The patch size will go from the "small" variants now to an entire game redownload.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And when Star Citizen finally folds,

I'll be on the rooftops, looking down...

Heh...

Called it

:smugdog:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

WebDog posted:

The thing is, there could be redemption for all of them had they integrity to do it right and competently, but Chris's ego got too far out of control too soon in his life. It's enough to wonder if his initial talent has been massively overstated.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

WebDog posted:

<Tell me more>

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Samizdata posted:

This makes so much sense, in conjunction with Crobbers' and Sandi's Hollywood delusions. I mean, think about it for a sec....

What happens (in movies) when a ragtag bunch of loveable (just work with me here) losers band together as friends to show the world their worth?

Id rather see what happens in reality than in movies.

Movies: Everything works out in the end after some funny stuff, then bad stuff, then internal small arguments... and then the REDEMPTION!

reality: Everyone hates each other and the friendship dissolves until everyone hates everyone and nothing good ever happens again.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
chris roberts is a hack who is full of poo poo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jason Sextro posted:

The thing is, there could be redemption for all of them had they integrity to do it right and competently, but Chris's ego got too far out of control too soon in his life. It's enough to wonder if his initial talent has been massively overstated.

To me, it feels like gaming back in the late 80s and early 90s was very niche and that it took a lot of ingenuity to get games working properly. Wolfentstein's levels being basically a bitmap with things drawn on it, code being hacked together in Final Fantasy, etc, all show what could be done if you applied yourself and broke new ground. That isn't to say it doesn't still happen, but it feels like, in Chris Roberts' case, he let it go to his head.

Chris makes a good(?) series that nets him some money and fills a niche genre and builds on it. He becomes successful, and then uses that to build what he really wanted all along, movies and storytelling. The problem is that he's absolutely poo poo at it and he's sacrificed gameplay to show off his artistic vision.

Even after failing in Hollywood, and even admitting that he had a problem of having too much control, he managed to swindle over 100 million in a video game project that he cannot possibly complete. Sure, he may be passionate about what he does but none of that is translating into progress. Massive rewrites and "refactoring" is the order of the day as everything is done to perfect, his level of perfection. And nobody wants to tell him no either.

In the end, Chris' ego is screwing himself, his project, and his team, all in one go. No concessions can be made on "The Supreme Lords" vision, after all HE's the reason plebes gave him all that cash. "Nobody could do this aside from me", he cries, failing to realise that life has passed him by and he's not the visionary he used to be.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Eonwe posted:

wowzers, meeting Sandi in Richard Garriott's office

good job meeting a never-was in a has-been's office

Basically, this, but replace Richard Garriott with Chris Roberts.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To me, it feels like gaming back in the late 80s and early 90s was very niche and that it took a lot of ingenuity to get games working properly. Wolfentstein's levels being basically a bitmap with things drawn on it, code being hacked together in Final Fantasy, etc, all show what could be done if you applied yourself and broke new ground. That isn't to say it doesn't still happen, but it feels like, in Chris Roberts' case, he let it go to his head.

Chris makes a good(?) series that nets him some money and fills a niche genre and builds on it. He becomes successful, and then uses that to build what he really wanted all along, movies and storytelling. The problem is that he's absolutely poo poo at it and he's sacrificed gameplay to show off his artistic vision.

Even after failing in Hollywood, and even admitting that he had a problem of having too much control, he managed to swindle over 100 million in a video game project that he cannot possibly complete. Sure, he may be passionate about what he does but none of that is translating into progress. Massive rewrites and "refactoring" is the order of the day as everything is done to perfect, his level of perfection. And nobody wants to tell him no either.

In the end, Chris' ego is screwing himself, his project, and his team, all in one go. No concessions can be made on "The Supreme Lords" vision, after all HE's the reason plebes gave him all that cash. "Nobody could do this aside from me", he cries, failing to realise that life has passed him by and he's not the visionary he used to be.

It strikes me that playing the original Wing Commander probably required the equivalent of a $1500 gaming rig today plus the know-how to actually configure the loving thing.

This is why Chris Roberts is the perfect man to create the newest PC blockbuster with absolutely no oversight in an age where indies and small teams are making stuff like Undertale and Stardew Valley that are selling huge.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 26, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

skaboomizzy posted:

It strikes me that playing the original Wing Commander probably required the equivalent of a $1500 gaming rig today plus the know-how to actually configure the loving thing.

This why Chris Roberts is the perfect man to create the newest PC blockbuster with absolutely no oversight in an age where indies and small teams are making stuff like Undertale and Stardew Valley that are selling huge.

Chris never learned how to let it go.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

radd posted:

Basically, yes: QD = FSD.

"No, the quantum drive is always meant to be straight line travel"

FSD:

QD:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 26, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

This is why Chris Roberts is the perfect man to create the newest PC blockbuster with absolutely no oversight in an age where indies and small teams are making stuff like Undertale and Stardew Valley that are selling huge.
At least half the games that get nominated for best story at the BAFTAs each year have a budget that would be a blip on their funding tracker. Clearly the direction to go in is mocapped Hollywood actors.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Trapezium Dave posted:

At least half the games that get nominated for best story at the BAFTAs each year have a budget that would be a blip on their funding tracker. Clearly the direction to go in is mocapped Hollywood actors.

Don't forget to scrap it at least twice before finally settling on your MOCAP structure 6 years into production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

Id rather see what happens in reality than in movies.

Movies: Everything works out in the end after some funny stuff, then bad stuff, then internal small arguments... and then the REDEMPTION!

reality: Everyone hates each other and the friendship dissolves until everyone hates everyone and nothing good ever happens again.

I recently watched this docu-series, The Chair, about two first time directors working off of the same script. One was some YouTube moron and the other a struggling writer.

Both made wildly different movies. What was interesting though was how much the YouTuber fell back on what he knew, pretty much making an extended YouTube video. He was so adamant that he was right and that it would work he refused to listen to any feedback from the test screenings. He was right. No one could tell him otherwise.

It was interesting watching someone working from inside such a bubble. Very reminiscent of what we've seen going on here.

The sad reality is though, he did do better (not great by any means he only netted 10k on a 600k budget) then the other director (she only made 3k on a 600k budget). The question though was did he only make a dime because of his already built in audience? The answers pretty clearly yes.

All the while all I could think was that this is a small example of what we have here. A man so obsessed with going his own way he refuses to see what's right in front of him. Obviously SC will make some money, no doubt their built in audience will continue to fund them to some degree. But it will end Chris' career. This is his only chance, and I think he knows it.

Its only a matter of time now. Time to just sit back and wait for the inevitable to happen.

• Locked thread