Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

Another dumb question but if I want to play pyromancy I start as pyromancer right?

You'll have to play through the first area without pyromancy if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

What is going on and how do I do this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Another dumb question but if I want to play pyromancy I start as pyromancer right?

It's not a necessity but they start off better equipped for it and are a good base for a pure Int/Faith build. No reason not to unless you want to start with the Estoc or something.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Personally I hate No-Man's Wharf and dread it every time. I would probably hate Shrine of Amana too but I rarely get that far when I try playing DS2 again and barely remember it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Wharf is at least skippable, if you don't care about Lucatiel or Gavlan.

You monster. :colbert:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
That dude finished his only miracles run in 2h 27 mins

He killed nameless with nothing but wrath of gods.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And now... dark sword run :shrug:

Seems like an alright dude though.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I guess Dark Souls 3 seems to be about as speedrunnable as the other games. The record for DS1 and DS2 is somewhere around 1h30 to 1h45, right? A gimped miracles-only pulling 2h27 isn't too far off.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

e: ^^^ DS3 all-bosses speedruns are already down to like 1hr10min or something like that.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

That dude finished his only miracles run in 2h 27 mins

He killed nameless with nothing but wrath of gods.

Greatwood was the real highlight of the run. That hit detection on WotG/pillars of whatever was hilarious.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I just lost 350,000 souls to stupidity fighting the silver knights...I hate this game right now.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Brannock posted:

I guess Dark Souls 3 seems to be about as speedrunnable as the other games. The record for DS1 and DS2 is somewhere around 1h30 to 1h45, right? A gimped miracles-only pulling 2h27 isn't too far off.

all bosses is 1h5m. they use anri's straight sword w/ the bleed resin

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brannock posted:

The current Dark Souls 3 world record is about 1 hour 5 minutes, give or take a minute or so. This game is super speed-run-able compared to the others.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Walrus Pete posted:

Greatwood was the real highlight of the run. That hit detection on WotG/pillars of whatever was hilarious.

I think my favorite bit was when he went to get lightning storm but he killed ludleth before giving him the kiln so he couldnt grab it

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Is it just me or do most boss weapons end up completely outclassed by standard weapons that achieve exactly the same AR (if not higher!) and can be infused/buffed? I know that's always been a thing that ends up happening, but it makes me sad that so many neat, unique movesets just end up falling to the wayside. I know part of it is just the absurdity of straight swords in the game presently. Like the storm curved sword is probably where fast 1-handers ought to be in terms of power. I love its weapon art, but it definitely feels outclasses in the end by a longsword or dark sword.

I dunno, I wish they hadn't restricted what could be infused/buffed so much. It's not like a lot of these weapons actually achieve notably better scaling than the more generic sorts.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Bogart posted:

The Wharf is at least skippable, if you don't care about Lucatiel or Gavlan.

You monster. :colbert:

I feel compelled not to skip anything, and besides the Flexile Sentry almost makes up for it. But usually by the time I get past the firebombers and dogs I just don't have the health left to deal with those wacky stretch monsters, or the soldiers further above, or the ambush on the bridge... And simply running from the bonfire to the ship is no picnic either.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Obligatum VII posted:

Is it just me or do most boss weapons end up completely outclassed by standard weapons that achieve exactly the same AR (if not higher!) and can be infused/buffed? I know that's always been a thing that ends up happening, but it makes me sad that so many neat, unique movesets just end up falling to the wayside. I know part of it is just the absurdity of straight swords in the game presently. Like the storm curved sword is probably where fast 1-handers ought to be in terms of power. I love its weapon art, but it definitely feels outclasses in the end by a longsword or dark sword.

I dunno, I wish they hadn't restricted what could be infused/buffed so much. It's not like a lot of these weapons actually achieve notably better scaling than the more generic sorts.

Yhorms greatsword is really good and easily flattens most humanoid enemies. I've heard the Dragonslayer Great Axe is also very good but no personal experience with it though.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Am I wrong to be wary of summon signs that have the yellow sunbro glow but red letters? Seems like a troll to try and trick someone to challenge a fight.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

JetsGuy posted:

Am I wrong to be wary of summon signs that have the yellow sunbro glow but red letters? Seems like a troll to try and trick someone to challenge a fight.

That's exactly what it is. You can sunbro as a red phantom now if you have the medal on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JetsGuy posted:

Those are red soapstone signs that were put down by someone wearing the sunlight covenant patch. If you summon one, it'll be an invader that will be pretty cool looking but also probably beat you up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

I don't interpret that ending the same way you do. The First Flame is gone forever, as is the age of Lords. There will be new embers, but it's something entirely new--it isn't the First Flame, the cycle is over. This is the world born anew, emerging from the darkness to a different Age. In the previous games, the First Flame never actually died out in any of the endings. Maybe your character didn't link it, but someone else inevitably would, and so it would go on. In the ending you're talking about, it actually, really goes out, cradled in the Fire Keeper's hands. It's gone for good. Whatever light and fire comes next, it won't be the First Flame.

I similarly thought it was pretty hopeful.

Perhaps now that the First Flame has been taken off life support, a proper Second Flame can roar to life naturally just as the first one did. Maybe if it'd been taken off life support we could have had a healthier Age of Fire 2.0 a long rear end time ago.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Is it just me or this fashionsouls kind of bland in this one.

I hope you like white/grey/black or dipping back into the retro-armors I guess

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

CJacobs posted:

Those are red soapstone signs that were put down by someone wearing the sunlight covenant patch. If you summon one, it'll be an invader that will be pretty cool looking but also probably beat you up.

Just summoned one and kicked the poo poo out of him. In fact aside from last night I've had good luck with PvP.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

This is wonderful but fills me with dread for the future. At least I've done everything that requires online so I can duck out in case the cheaters start running rampant.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hard counter posted:

It adds some pretty good ones while including the best ones from the last two games, I can dig it.

Also I'm at the Grand Archives now. I've done the Untended Graves and beat the Nameless King and Old Demon King. Are there any other optional areas to hit up?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

That talk reminds me of the one time I ever actually talked to a dark souls speedrun guy on his stream and made him get super mad. Because you see he was trying to get a perfect run where he ran and got the dark knight halberd and then did some poo poo and beat the first game super fast. Except he was using cheat engine to guarantee a 100% drop. I pointed out that cheat engine was not legit, so it was misleading to call his speedrun legit. And he just kind of flipped his lid about how he was doing the rest of his speedrun legit and that I was clearly an idiot if I expected him to get the drop without cheat engine. I just pointed out that if he was willing to cheat engine a drop, there was no proof he wouldn't cheat engine other things and then he kicked me from the stream.

That's my dark souls speedrun story I hope you like it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Also I'm at the Grand Archives now. I've done the Untended Graves and beat the Nameless King and Old Demon King. Are there any other optional areas to hit up?
I'm actually pretty disappointed that the visible aurous armor wasn't one of the sets carried over because it was one of my favorites, visually, in 2 and it went well with a lot of other sets.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 26, 2016

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Beat the game at 44 hours with a lot of co-op and pvp. Beat the last boss first try but had no estus left and like 100 hp. Cool fight.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Djeser posted:

Two questions:

1. What's a good level to face Aldrich at? I've been running through battles as a white phantom to get better, and I've fought him maybe ten or twelve times and never seen a host beat him.

2. If I'm up to Aldrich's fog gate on one path and Yhorm's fog gate on the other, am I at a point where I could find chaos gem drops? Chaos is my ultra jam.

Speaking of, I've been doing Aldrich runs again and finally I saw someone beat it, then tried and promptly died to his second-phase arrow storm, because in running away I couldn't see him coming at me with a sword swoop. I've never been stuck on a boss this badly before.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

good news is i'm really good at killing silver knights now :unsmith:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So after more reddit reading I think my favorite phrase is now "Build Diversity" because that's always the PVP nerd excuse for any changes they want. Lets try to make everyone fight at a lower soul level for more build diversity! It totally won't screw over casters and anyone wanting to wear or wield heavy armor and weapons. Poise is totally all about build diversity, all those giant dads and full havels people complained about in the previous two games were the most diverse!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

trip report: pyromancy is boring

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Obligatum VII posted:

In PvE, there's no reason to use it over rolling at all since rolling is more than sufficient unless you really just like the animation THAT much.
You obviously don't remember Farron Keep, friend. There is no fat-roll version of quickstep.

gently caress that stupid swamp.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I just hate everything about the Jailers. Even with a big, heavy weapon I can't seem to get through an encounter with more than one of them without just having a sliver of HP remaining, and then I just have to stand around and wait for it to come back and chug Estus and it's just tedious. The whole area is just really tedious.

I'd rather deal with Winter Lanterns in Bloodborne.

I dunno, my health seemed to recover REALLY fast after I kill the jailers. It is stressful having to go down to a sliver each fight, but how :darksouls: is that? Very. And you have like 10 +5 estus by that point, so you can easily chug one between each encounter and still have several left over at the end of the zone.

hard counter posted:

Uh no, this is the best fashion souls.

It literally contains almost all the armor sets of the previous games while adding some very rad new duds too.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 26, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hard counter posted:

I really wish this game had dyes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, my health seemed to recover REALLY fast after I kill the jailers. It is stressful having to go down to a sliver each fight, but how :darksouls: is that? Very. And you have like 10 +5 estus by that point, so you can easily chug one between each encounter and still have several left over at the end of the zone.

It just feels like it takes a long time because if it got down really low you're kind of worried a hollow will pop up out of nowhere to slap you like that one guy who pushes you out of the door way early on in that place, that guy totally got me the first time.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I really wish this game had dyes.

Give it time and i'm sure this game will have some spectacular mods.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Lol some Aldrich defender guy invaded me in that first big area with the Giants and the silver knights raining bows of death from above. He didn't count on me just running back to that duel area right behind that.

To be fair to the guy it was probably the second decent player I've played against but I won only using 2 Estus.

I guess I'm much better than I think at this game because like the only time an invader has killed me it's been because I happened to be against a big combo mob.

Most times I've been invaded the guy is either trying really hard to one shot me or keeps trying to kick my shield lol. I find rolling towards them to be super hilarious because they like never expect it.

Pubbies be pubbies I guess.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I'm getting the game working well and I've gotten a hold of a working controller, but I've realized that I have a problem where I can't see fire or bloodstains/messages. I can see the lighting effects around where fire should be (the dragon in High Wall of Lothric), and I can interact with messages and bloodstains, but I can't see them.

Is this a graphics setting or a driver issue? I have an AMD Radeon 6800 series (don't recall the exact card), drivers all up to date.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

WEEP, PEONS

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

JetsGuy posted:

some Aldrich defender guy invaded me in ... He didn't count on me just running back to that duel area right behind that.

... but I won only using 2 Estus.

I guess I'm much better than I think at this game

Fine work, hollow...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

*silently adds "tiny peen" to Alabaster White's entry in goons.txt*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world