Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
a sports show might be a better model at this point, they get multiple seasons and stay pretty on-track and generally nice-looking all the way through, and depending on the source material have just as many power ups and epic battles as any other shounen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a second season next year. I think there's already enough content past the estimated stopping point for at least 12 episodes.

There is enough to do 24 episodes easy, I think they just want to space things out so they always have plenty of material ready to cover.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There is enough to do 24 episodes easy, I think they just want to space things out so they always have plenty of material ready to cover.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Futaba Anzu posted:

I want hero filler

Filler is almost always done terribly even when there is amazing side source material that could be adapted. I don't understand why anyone thinks of it positively at this point.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Filler is almost always done terribly even when there is amazing side source material that could be adapted. I don't understand why anyone thinks of it positively at this point.

Sailor Moon Crystal

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think shows like Bleach and Naruto have turned people off the idea of filler as a whole, when it definitely can be used well to pad individual episodes or even add mini-arcs. Sailor Moon is a good example and i liked the filler in the 90's HxH too. on a smaller scale, the Stardust Crusaders anime added lots of small original bits that were also good.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 26, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HellCopter posted:

In black and white, I never noticed that Best Jeanist is wearing a denim turtleneck. That's a superhero outfit.

He just needs something to cover his face and he can be Canadian Tuxedo Mask.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dr Subterfuge posted:

gintama

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dragonatrix posted:

Are there any other than One Piece, Detective Conan and I think maybe Fairy Tail at this point? All the other ones I can think of finished forever ago.

Naruto, though it's weird because the Manga has been over for over a year, and they are clearly milking it so as to give time for the boruto spinoff to get going. Kisha is pretty much done, but the zombie franchise (heh) will live on for quite some time.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ace of Diamond just finished an uninterrupted 126 episode run this year. dunno how that actually turned out though. World Trigger was another long-running shonen at 73 episodes, though i remember hearing it had production issues from the start.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V is at just over a hundred episodes and counting, and Pokemon is pretty eternal as well. Dragonball Super may count, too, even if it's relatively young.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Allarion posted:

Sailor Moon Crystal

Counterpoint to your counterpoints: Hunter x Hunter

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'd consider JoJo a long runner if only for it having over 900 chapters and it'll probably have near a 200 episode count by the time the anime catches up to where it is right now, but the manga being monthly and the anime taking almost two year breaks really helps any Long Run fatigue.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth Walrus posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V is at just over a hundred episodes and counting, and Pokemon is pretty eternal as well. Dragonball Super may count, too, even if it's relatively young.

Arc-V will have around 150 episodes. We've known this from pretty much the start. I don't what the deal is with DB super anymore. Anybody care to give a summary of what has happened so far.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Julias posted:

I don't what the deal is with DB super anymore. Anybody care to give a summary of what has happened so far.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Julias posted:

Arc-V will have around 150 episodes. We've known this from pretty much the start. I don't what the deal is with DB super anymore. Anybody care to give a summary of what has happened so far.

Goku and the gang fight in a tournament to decide which universe is stronger over a bet, because food isn't enough anymore. Vegeta teaches an alt universe saiyan how to go SSJ by not bein a lil bitch. Goku mashed together super saiyan blue and kaioken in order to beat a guy who can freeze time for very short periods of time for unmatchable speed. And, somehow, piccolo is one of the 5 greatest warriors in the universe :shrug:

they even give an in universe reason for why goku hadn't done it up to this point, which was sorta neat. clips of it are all over youtube if it's all you wanna see.

also I am so god drat ready for the rest of this series. I gave it a shot last night, and getting to watch the first 4 episodes at once was a good thing. Deku's got the absolute perfect quirk for a super hero shonen anime protagonist, since he really can't just sit on his laurels with it or it'll gently caress him up yet will also allow him to gently caress basically anyone else up if he tries hard enough.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

I want hero filler

I would gladly watch/read an entire spinoff series centered around almost any character in this franchise.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
A Mt. Lady anime.

Yes.
(For real though, it'd probably be good. She seems like she has her share of problems.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
She's actually just mean and petty which you learn in some side comic involving an interview with a woman teacher you'll probably meet next episode.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

A Mt. Lady anime.

Yes.
(For real though, it'd probably be good. She seems like she has her share of problems.)

Countblanc posted:

She's actually just mean and petty which you learn in some side comic involving an interview with a woman teacher you'll probably meet next episode.

Yeah, she mentions in the first one how she's doing it for fame, and not making enough money back because insurance can't cover all the damage her superpower does. It ends with her destroying the insurance building, iirc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
She also makes fun of Midnight for being "old" (read: like 30 or something) and thus not a Sexy Young Woman like her

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yes, I remember that.

It does not decrease my desire for a Mt. Lady spinoff.

(E:I don't quite remember all of the details, my memory is really, really lovely. But I do remember her being a fame/money-crazed lady who reluctantly uses her Mountainous Posterior to get higher on the charts. She still does good though.)

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 26, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Countblanc posted:

She also makes fun of Midnight for being "old" (read: like 30 or something) and thus not a Sexy Young Woman like her

As someone who is nearly 30, I can confirm 30 is old.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
As someone who is mid-20s with a receding hairline, I feel old already.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i hope that thing in the 4koma version where her vaguely tragic backstory of being bounced around from school to school and eventually ending up in hokkaido because she kept accidentally destroying her school makes it to the main series

you know assuming she hasn't been completely pancaked

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

chumbler posted:

As someone who is nearly 30, I can confirm 30 is old.

:hf:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
People keep treading near (or in at least one case outright stating) manga spoilers. This is the anime thread, so that doesn't seem particularly considerate to the people experiencing it the first time here.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Roland Jones posted:

People keep treading near (or in at least one case outright stating) manga spoilers. This is the anime thread, so that doesn't seem particularly considerate to the people experiencing it the first time here.

one guy straight up listed all the major plot points in the manga in this thread, lol

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Futaba Anzu posted:

one guy straight up listed all the major plot points in the manga in this thread, lol

Oh right, I forgot about that. Yeah, that's not great either.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oop, sorry, I get 'em mixed up. Thanks for the reminder.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Remember, the thread for the Anime has the word Anime in the title.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How many episodes is Detective Conan up to and is he still shooting that dude in the neck with knockout darts then talking through him to explain how he solved the mystery in every one?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Gyges posted:

Remember, the thread for the Anime has the word Anime in the title.

Yeah but I phone post a lot and the word "anime" is way back in the title.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Radish posted:

How many episodes is Detective Conan up to and is he still shooting that dude in the neck with knockout darts then talking through him to explain how he solved the mystery in every one?

814 and yes, sometimes! Sometimes its the rich teenage girl, sometimes its the guy named Professor Professor and sometimes he darts no one.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dragonatrix posted:

sometimes he darts no one.

This feels like a waste of an episode.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wasn't he supposed to be finding a way to go back to being an adult? That's some lovely detecting to go over 800 episodes and still be a little boy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Also how many cases is he solving per day? 800 eps should be at least a year, even if they spend 5 eps on a single night of crime-solving, right?

Is he not growing up at all?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Futaba Anzu posted:

I want hero filler

I would be ridiculously excited for dumb slice-of-life filler with the other students in the class. Give me day-to-day superpowered teenagers doing dumb teenager things and I would read/watch the poo poo out of it. There's a 4-koma series that does show moments that I do like to think of as being at least broadly canon, but that's not enough, dammit.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I think I heard that Detective Conan has now gotten Conan something that allows him to grow up for a bit, and also some girl is also now a child again or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Man maybe we should check to see if there's a detective Conan thread. They'd probably know.

• Locked thread