Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Going back to ANZAZ stuff for a moment, when and why the gently caress do people keep saying the soldiers died protecting our freedums? It's incredibly untrue, this country has never had its freedoms threatened by another country and ESPECIALLY during WW1 so where the gently caress are people getting the idea the ANZACs died for our freedum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Cartoon posted:

I got through ANZAC day without seeing anything that disturbed me much. I can not fathom the AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI crowd though. ANZAC was a massive failure. Our forefathers wanted us to remember what it meant to follow a foreign master into a stupid conflict half way around the world. Want to remember and honour their memory?

Anzac day is the day we commemorate one of the times stephen j fry almost got everybodys granddad shot

Tarantula posted:

Going back to ANZAZ stuff for a moment, when and why the gently caress do people keep saying the soldiers died protecting our freedums? It's incredibly untrue, this country has never had its freedoms threatened by another country and ESPECIALLY during WW1 so where the gently caress are people getting the idea the ANZACs died for our freedum?

Because we import about 75% of our national identity wholesale from america

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Next year for anzac in rolling coal. Lest we forgrt

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

katlington posted:

Because we import about 75% of our national identity wholesale from america

I see even my lefty friends saying that stuff and it's really creepy.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You know when you defeat another country you get to take their colonies, right? If the Germans had won WW1 it seems improbable that they would have allowed Australia to remain independent.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
lest we get rekt

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Australia was a Dominion at that point, not a Colony. While Ze Germans could have pressed territorial claims against British colonies it's doubtful they would have tried to take over independent (white) nations.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Cartoon posted:

I got through ANZAC day without seeing anything that disturbed me much. I can not fathom the AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI crowd though. ANZAC was a massive failure. Our forefathers wanted us to remember what it meant to follow a foreign master into a stupid conflict half way around the world. Want to remember and honour their memory?

I got some eye rolls when I mentioned to my partner that the emphasis really should be (and perhaps used to be?) more on the absolute pointlessness and tragedy of war instead of the "Let's go to the pub and drink beer Raise a Glass™ for our service men and women! I'm so happy they're protecting our freedoms and Our Way of Life™" we have at the moment. It really is the most bizarre thing to say that WW1 was protecting anything other than the interests of other countries and those in power at the time.

I guess it's just easier to eat up the nationalism without thinking too much about it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yes that is a shave stick.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Where does the idea that Australia was an independent nation that went to fight in WW1 voluntarily come from? Australia was a British colony populated primarily by British subjects who fought for Britain. The war was a pointless tragedy, but I can't see any plausible scenario in which we could have avoided participating in it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Whats really amusing is that there is zero attacks on our freedoms and way of life from external threats at all while most of the damage is coming from within with retarded policy and fear mongering.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

open24hours posted:

Where does the idea that Australia was an independent nation that went to fight in WW1 voluntarily come from? Australia was a British colony populated primarily by British subjects who fought for Britain. The war was a pointless tragedy, but I can't see any plausible scenario in which we could have avoided participating in it.

Federation was in 1901, WW1 started in 1914. While Australia was still part of the Empire it was no longer a colony. And all Australians who fought overseas were volunteers, conscription was never implemented during the war.

https://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/conscription/ww1/

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

open24hours posted:

Where does the idea that Australia was an independent nation that went to fight in WW1 voluntarily come from?

Misinformation and an apathy for the truth. edit: ^^ true, but politically Australia was still obligated.

Would love to hear Mr Abbott's take on WW1 btw ("goodies vs baddies vs baddies vs goodies" ? )

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The soldiers were volunteers, I mean that the country as a whole 'volunteered' to participate in the war, as if it could have refused.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Sweet, those 2800 submarine jobs some time towards the end of the next decade will totally make up for the 100k+ jobs lost in SA by the collapse of the car industry.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

open24hours posted:

The soldiers were volunteers, I mean that the country as a whole 'volunteered' to participate in the war, as if it could have refused.

Oh yeah the country was legally obligated to follow Britain's lead and frankly I doubt an attempt to stay neutral would have succeeded in the face of public opinion at the time. But the status of the country wasn't a colony, the Dominions were more like...very junior partners in the empire, who could handle oppressing their own natives instead of relying on Britain to do it for them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

REVEALED

NINE’S CASH FOR SNATCH

PROOF 60 MINUTES PAID KIDNAPPERS

— Daily Telegraph, 22 April, 2016

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Boycott ch9 for funding international terrorism.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Lol at Tara Whoever saying they were just journalists trying to do story.

Trying to spin the "drat brownies hate journalistic freedom"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

Oh yeah the country was legally obligated to follow Britain's lead and frankly I doubt an attempt to stay neutral would have succeeded in the face of public opinion at the time. But the status of the country wasn't a colony, the Dominions were more like...very junior partners in the empire, who could handle oppressing their own natives instead of relying on Britain to do it for them.

I probably should have been more specific, although the dominions are/were (incorrectly?) referred to as self-governing colonies.

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...0colony&f=false

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
We will defend the mother country to the last man and the last shilling

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
The Age/SMH had an article about another 60Min funded kidnapping, this one 'successful' involving another mother taking her child from their father in Turkey that never went to air but it's been taken down. Probably because the case is in the courts right now and has been since less than a week after it happened.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

Remember to wear a helmet when you go for a ride on the footpath

I always do. Also I have twice been hit by cars while riding on footpaths, one time of which my head hit the ground hard enough to break my helmet! :eng101:

I've also been hit by a car while riding on the road in a quiet suburban street (no footpath) when a car decided "gently caress stopping at a stop sign on a blind corner I'ma just drive straight through". Didn't break my helmet that time, just a few ribs.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

I always do. Also I have twice been hit by cars while riding on footpaths, one time of which my head hit the ground hard enough to break my helmet! :eng101:
No but helmets are bad because FREEDOM and they mess up your hair.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Which one of you goons is responsible for http://www.cycle-helmets.com

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The helmet wars aren't even about helmets anymore, it's just another means for authoritarians to flex their muscles and conflate arguments against helmets with libertarianism and guns for babies.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I don't think you get to say others are making dumb claims on the same page you posit that WW1 was an existential threat to Australia

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What do you think would have happened to Australia if the British had lost WW1?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

We got to have German New Guinea, at Versailles p sweet deal

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Negligent posted:

Which one of you goons is responsible for http://www.cycle-helmets.com

Jesus christ someone really hates helmets.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

Become a Republic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-26/png-rules-detention-on-manus-island-illegal/7360078

Papua New Guinea's Supreme Court rules detention of asylum seekers on Manus Island is illegal

Papua New Guinea's Supreme Court has ruled Australia's detention of asylum seekers on Manus Island is illegal.

The five-man bench of the court ruled the detention breached the right to personal liberty in the PNG constitution.

There are 850 men in the detention centre on Manus Island, about half of whom have been found to be refugees.

The Supreme Court has ordered the PNG and Australian Governments to immediately take steps to end the detention of asylum seekers in PNG.

:eyepop:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours posted:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

KAISER MANIA!

Tonight AT 7PM on FOX KIDS

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

KAISER MANIA!

Tonight AT 7PM on FOX KIDS

RUNNIN WILD, BRUDER

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If ze Germans had won the war we would all be eating sauerkraut and getting around in Zeppelins now.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

SynthOrange posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-26/png-rules-detention-on-manus-island-illegal/7360078

Papua New Guinea's Supreme Court rules detention of asylum seekers on Manus Island is illegal

Papua New Guinea's Supreme Court has ruled Australia's detention of asylum seekers on Manus Island is illegal.

The five-man bench of the court ruled the detention breached the right to personal liberty in the PNG constitution.

There are 850 men in the detention centre on Manus Island, about half of whom have been found to be refugees.

The Supreme Court has ordered the PNG and Australian Governments to immediately take steps to end the detention of asylum seekers in PNG.

Whoah. Is this as massive as it sounds?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Whoah. Is this as massive as it sounds?

Its not like Australia has a long history of respecting the rule of law in PNG.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You will never live in glorious steampunk German Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Png and australia reclassify refugees as independant contractors

open24hours posted:

We could have offloaded queensland

The threat of surrendering northern australia up to the brisbane line to any invading force did more to protect australia than any me too adventurism

• Locked thread