Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
They do a ton of damage but they have a very long cooldown compared to most other weapons. They also have really short range. They're very poor weapons for defending your base with because even though you'll skewer the first 1-2 dudes rushing your line, all of the others will close with you before your defenders are ready to shoot again. On the other hand, they're perfect for hordes of tribal invaders, who straggle in at erratic times and across a large area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't remember but I think last time I checked a pilum does like 40 damage if it hits. Basically enough to one shot someone.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
even on the easiest setting this game has a lot of bullshit

i barely had anything up and running when suddenly a giant alien spider next popped up in one of my base's bedrooms and instantly killed my only combat ready colonist, then just went and murdered the rest

seriously the only way to play this game is to do free builder with no events and then once you have yourself situated, you can turn it up, because it's just basically luck at that point whether or not you get to keep playing

the phoebe basebuilder or whatever (seriously, the names for the game modes are retarded, what made him think that poo poo was necessary or good) is still pretty stupid

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

OwlFancier posted:

I can't remember but I think last time I checked a pilum does like 40 damage if it hits. Basically enough to one shot someone.

That and hit location matters a lot. If a tribal with a great bow or a pilum manages to lucksack a shot into your guy's head or a vital organ it's nearly guaranteed to kill them instantly unless you've got body armor. Similarly, it's pretty easy for even gun guys to end up putting a bunch of bullets into non-lethal body parts while peppering them so that the heavily wounded guy keeps shooting until he either bleeds out or finally gets hit in a vital spot.

Basically, getting some sort of body armor and helmets out ASAP is really important because it turns death hits into maim hits.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 25, 2016

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Ok how the gently caress do I deal with rescued people? Do I have to arrest and recruit them? Is that it? I just lost two of my more important colonists to a bullshit raid and then it literally began raining family members. But only one was successfully arrested and the other two resisted arrest so they wound up murdering each other only for the survivor to get pissed off and punch a monkey which in turn killed him. How do I recruit rescued people?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Rescued people have a small chance to join you after fully healed up, if they're leaving though you need to arrest them and roll the dice on if they survive if they resist.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Blackray Jack posted:

Ok how the gently caress do I deal with rescued people? Do I have to arrest and recruit them? Is that it? I just lost two of my more important colonists to a bullshit raid and then it literally began raining family members. But only one was successfully arrested and the other two resisted arrest so they wound up murdering each other only for the survivor to get pissed off and punch a monkey which in turn killed him. How do I recruit rescued people?

You should be arresting from the moment they land on the planet. They can't resist while incapped, and the "Spacer" faction which they belong to doesn't really exist. Theres literally 0 benefit to rescuing before arresting other then the slim chance they'll join by themselves, which it doesn't sound like you can afford.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Ok so I just straight up capture them and not rescue them? And by the way that game was hosed. I was down to my last colonist desperately trying to recruit HER OWN GOD drat HUSBAND THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN AUTOMATIC YES DEAR GOD WHY. And then the loving manhunting boomrats came.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blackray Jack posted:

Ok so I just straight up capture them and not rescue them? And by the way that game was hosed. I was down to my last colonist desperately trying to recruit HER OWN GOD drat HUSBAND THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN AUTOMATIC YES DEAR GOD WHY. And then the loving manhunting boomrats came.

Cassandra's at it again! :allears:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

Are pilum crazy powerful or something? I had an early raid consisting of one tribal with a pilum, I drafted my 5 shooting careful shooter with the survival rifle to deal with him. He hit the raider 5 times and the guy was bleeding out from the gunshot wounds but was able to crawl into throwing range and throw one spear to instantly kill my guy. Was I just really unlucky or are throwing spears really deadly?

They do 30 damage, which makes them the second most powerful weapon after the sniper rifle, I believe (and I guess very high quality plasteel longswords). Human heads have 30 hp, so if your guy wasn't wearing head protection it could have been a headshot that killed him outright. The torso has 40 hp, so pila can't quite one-shot that (unless it takes out the heart or liver at the same time), though if your guy was already injured in the torso or had some scars there, which lower max hp, a single pilum there would've done the job.

Try to get armour vests as soon as you can - they improve survivability a lot against the most lethal high damage weapons: sniper rifles, pila and Scyther charge lances. Lost limbs will still be a big problem until you can get power armour, though. (edit: or high quality dusters/jackets made out of resistant materials like devilstrand or hyperweave)

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 25, 2016

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007

Kanos posted:

Cassandra's at it again! :allears:

Nope, Randy. Always Randy. First colony was Randy on the setting below 'normal' then I tried a 'normal' setting. Everything was going amazing until I decided to accept a rescue mission from a surgeon, who I needed because hey, surgeon. He also happened to be the wife of a wanderer who joined. He comes into base and he winds up dying anyway, which pisses the wife off. Then a raid comes through and kidnaps my two best colonists, leaving me with the wife who's injured and an old lady who moves slow due to a bad back. Then it literally begins to loving rain family members; the old lady's husband, the injured woman's brother, and then some random chucklefuck. Before I learned better, I rescued and then arrested the husband who refused to loving join no matter what which was retarded because his WIFE of all people was trying to convince him to join. Then the other two guys I try to rescue get pissy and fight the old lady off because hey she cannot and will not fight. Then they wind up fighting each other with one beating the other to death before the survivor picks a fight with a monkey and dies to it. My injured woman who was in bed for the longest time had me confused as to why she didn't get out of bed ever until I learned that her loving leg was cut off somehow, probably to that raid that killed her drat husband. So with that explaining why she hadn't gotten up for the longest time I try a peg leg surgery and welp she's dead now due to a catastrophically botched surgery. So I spend my last few moments trying in vain to recruit the old lady's husband before the god drat boomrats came and sealed my fate.

Ok so, for people who crash in via pods, I capture them and then try to recruit them normally, is that it?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 25, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Pretty much yes. They become your prisoner (have beds open for them but the game will tell you if you don't have any available) and in restraints once back in the colony. Chatting to recruit becomes more of "well this was an honest mistake, we have all sorts of dangerous people drop podding their way to the surface to attack us" than "wouldn't you rather share in this colony's bountiful resources without having to storm through bullets and clubs and traps?"

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Pretty much yes. They become your prisoner (have beds open for them but the game will tell you if you don't have any available) and in restraints once back in the colony. Chatting to recruit becomes more of "well this was an honest mistake, we have all sorts of dangerous people drop podding their way to the surface to attack us" than "wouldn't you rather share in this colony's bountiful resources without having to storm through bullets and clubs and traps?"

But the chance is the same as if I just took a captured raiding tribal. It's essentially building up from scratch either way with low success rates. By the by, should I just stick with chat and recruit or just friendly chats and THEN chat and recruit?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Blackray Jack posted:

Ok so, for people who crash in via pods, I capture them and then try to recruit them normally, is that it?

Pretty much. Pod people generally have low difficulty so you shouldn't have to wait long.

Also, holy gently caress what is with chickens and lag. I've got a fairly sizable colony, 20+ peeps, and a few Huskys, and decided to supplement my hunting with some eggs. Bought some fertilised chicken eggs, about 20, they hatched, and my framerate plummeted. Everything is sluggish, selecting or right-clicking takes a few seconds to register, and overall the game has gone to hell. Over 20 chickens :wtc:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Blackray Jack posted:

But the chance is the same as if I just took a captured raiding tribal. It's essentially building up from scratch either way with low success rates. By the by, should I just stick with chat and recruit or just friendly chats and THEN chat and recruit?

Spacers should be recruitment difficulty 30 or so where hostile factions tend to be 90-99, in my experience.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007

Conot posted:

Spacers should be recruitment difficulty 30 or so where hostile factions tend to be 90-99, in my experience.

I have no idea how that fits into calculations and poo poo like that. Anyway, third colony is a go. One is a bounty hunter who underwent a sex change and loves prosthetics and bionics. One is a human computer type smart guy who ironically hates prosthetics and tech like that. And the final one is some guy who dreamed of going into space as a kid and then as an adult it all went horribly wrong when he got stranded on a planet for years. He's also ugly.

EDIT: Also, thanks everyone for your help so far. Let's see how much Randy can endlessly poo poo on me this time before the colony breaks.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

i like getting fancy with killboxes at the cost of efficiency

one of these days i'll go for a cannibal run instead of keeping a tally

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What are the best killbox designs?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

What are the best killbox designs?

There's hundreds you can look up just by googling "Rimworld killbox". There are a few tips for a good design though.

- One entrance for the enemies, obviously
- Light near the entrance, so at nighttime your guys don't get darkness penalties. Conversly, you'll want your guys and turrets in darkness.
- Sandbags at the entrance, because it slows enemies down and they can't stop and shoot while on it. It also stops them using the walls of the entrance as cover to shoot at you
- Secondary exit with doors, so your colonists can come and go without getting slowed by the sandbags. Stick them in the walls of the killbox so that if they get broken through the turrets will still be useful
- Single stone wall between each turret, as it will absorb the blast from an exploding turret

Those will give you a killbox that should hold off most raids. After that you can start getting fancy.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 25, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
- Separated nooks for each turret so explosions from one getting wrecked doesn't set off a chain reaction. Shooting over sandbags for maximum possible cover.
- Distance from entrance to turrets is the furthest it can still shoot targets to maximize the time melee enemies take to start smashing.
- Turret nooks are under roof, kill box proper is open to sky to maximize difference in lighting conditions for accuracy purposes. Alternatively if you can engineer a way to enclose the attackers indoors and then set off an incendiary ied on flammable floors (carpet's good to use up all that cotton you harvest!), you can drive up the temperature to stupid levels for maximum heatstroke/mood penalties.
- Entrance built with an s-bend so that enemies with guns that can outrange turrets must come within range to attack. That can be as simple as a 1x5 wall in front of a single tile entrance.
- Kill box ground is absolutely clear of other objects to minimize cover.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
How about a good design to enable merciless clubbing and enslavement recruiting of invaders?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Away all Goats posted:

I'm not really sure the progression I should be going for, the last few times I started a colony my priorities were:

1. Set up Grow Zone
2. Build medium sized wood structure to put beds in
3. Set up solar panels/batteries and maybe a cooker/turret
4. Research table
5. ???

i prefer to build compounds instead of digging in caves, so my build order is always:
1) build barracks and storage room, haul in all survival meals
2) sow fields
3) research stonecutting while doing other tasks, like building a kitchen/common room
4) crank out stone blocks so i can build a power building and freezer
6) set up power infrastructure and initial basic defenses
7) build better defenses, bedrooms, hospital, crafting hall, etc
8) start producing trade goods depending on local resources and colonist skills

Away all Goats posted:

edit: also why isn't this game on Steam yet

it will be when it's done, whenever that is

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Looks like RedistHeat might be getting updated soon. Which is good. I can't wait for bugs to colonize my ducts and access tunnels!

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
So I have a prisoner I'm trying to recruit, a tribal raider. A trade caravan came by for trade soon after however I noticed that I did not have the option to sell my prisoner. What gives?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blackray Jack posted:

So I have a prisoner I'm trying to recruit, a tribal raider. A trade caravan came by for trade soon after however I noticed that I did not have the option to sell my prisoner. What gives?

Generally only pirates and slavers will buy people.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, and the trade caravans are conscientious objectors to buying items of any variety

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It depends on the caravan. I've had the option to sell prisoners to tribal traders before

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Whelp, my colony just hosted a trade caravan. The muffalos drank enough beer to get blackout drunk and vomit and pass out all over my storage room.

Edit: And now it's dead. Drank itself to death. Free Muffalo Steaks everyone!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there a good way to secure my thermal generators short of encasing them in multiple layers of walls and drafting a squad to go save it? Some of them are fairly far from the rest of my settlement.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
The geothermals? Yeah, put a wall around it (but no roof) and forget about it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Away all Goats posted:

Is there a good way to secure my thermal generators short of encasing them in multiple layers of walls and drafting a squad to go save it? Some of them are fairly far from the rest of my settlement.

I put two walls around and forget about them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Oh ok, I've had a few raiders throw grenades at some of my walls so I thought that would be more common occurrence.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

In my experience raiders won't gently caress with your generators too much.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Oh ok, I've had a few raiders throw grenades at some of my walls so I thought that would be more common occurrence.

AFAIK, if you completely wall off your base raiders will attack the nearest walls. Plus sappers will generally attack the first wall they come across (which is hilarious if they pop an ancient danger).

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
My last game in alpha 13 I used the following mods:

EDB Prepare Carefully
Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering
Floor Lights
Modular Tables
Pawn Bar

What else should I be using post alpha 13 launch?

I used to use the Crash Landing mod and it looks like it might have been updated, but what else are people using for fun additions to their games?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is the mod that gives you people at the top of the screen, EDB ui or something, updated?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

Is the mod that gives you people at the top of the screen, EDB ui or something, updated?

It has sort of been updated (when I launched my last game) but people were reporting crashes. It might be fine now, but when I started it had memory leak problems that would crash your game. So, instead in my most recent alpha 13 game I was using Fluffy's Pawn Bar which he admits was a directly copy (with code written from scratch). You can find it here:
https://github.com/FluffierThanThou/RW_PawnBar/releases/tag/0.13.0.1

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

beerinator posted:

It has sort of been updated (when I launched my last game) but people were reporting crashes. It might be fine now, but when I started it had memory leak problems that would crash your game. So, instead in my most recent alpha 13 game I was using Fluffy's Pawn Bar which he admits was a directly copy (with code written from scratch). You can find it here:
https://github.com/FluffierThanThou/RW_PawnBar/releases/tag/0.13.0.1

The EDB version is fixed now

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Azhais posted:

The EDB version is fixed now

Ok, good. I figured it would be soon enough, but at first it sounded like there were some changes that he didn't want to tackle.

Also, I've seen the hearts before when people share beds, but I had never really clicked on a person when I saw those hearts. I was grabbing my Social person when we had a trader walk over and this is what it said:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

beerinator posted:

Ok, good. I figured it would be soon enough, but at first it sounded like there were some changes that he didn't want to tackle.

Also, I've seen the hearts before when people share beds, but I had never really clicked on a person when I saw those hearts. I was grabbing my Social person when we had a trader walk over and this is what it said:

Well, the whole mod isn't done, just a fixed bar