Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

I fully believe that's exactly what the development process is like, except that Toops forgot to add the part at the end where Chris Roberts needs to assert his authority at the end of the cycle by unapproving the model.

All pipelines end at Chris who wields a huge red 'RUINED' stamp and slams it on everything and everyone while he screeches like a chimp.

e: new page :gay: for juncos

moveable shape fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

turnways posted:

Going off context I'm thinking that's the original first concept art and the strutless version is the latest version (i.e. "here's the first concept art, see how far it's come?") but that would show some vague semblance of evolution through design so I dunno.

I can't help but notice you've got a loving Hakenkreuz as av about 1/30 of the time

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Mr.Tophat posted:

I called it!

*throws cards down, has a four and a two of hearts*

Royal Sandi, right there

*takes UEC chips from the table*

Better repipeline your wallets boyos!

If I were a star citizen dev I would try and get the phrase 'Sand Blasted' to be used with the same meaning as 'gas lighted' by Sandi's colleagues. It just works so well!!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sandi would make for a really lovely dynasty.

Because she's hairless.

:wink:

10,000 years experience

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr.Tophat posted:

10,000 years experience

Well, I don't know how old she is but she has been an expert at it ever since she was a little girl.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

moveable shape posted:

If I were a star citizen dev I would try and get the phrase 'Sand Blasted' to be used with the same meaning as 'gas lighted' by Sandi's colleagues. It just works so well!!

"We've got a leaver holed up in sector seven G! We can't get him out of the building, he's trying to steal assets before he goes!"
"Sand Blast him! We have to ensure SQ42 remains spoiler-free!"

*monitors with shitizen logic flash in subliminal pulses at sector seven G*

"Hah! He'll be lucky if he doesn't leave here with a jpeg or two! Now, let's see if the backers can buy us a pizza"

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

10 for the Chairman: Episode 84
Apr 25, 2016 @ 5:11

Q: It seems to me there have been a lot of lessons learned in online gaming over the last 15 years. My question is, have you been in discussion with former colleagues from your Origin or wider afield and has this influenced your thinking on your development strategy for SC? I ask because one of the truly enjoyable aspects of some of their games have been around player economy and socialization (thinking SWG particularly).

A: Well yeah, you know ABSOLUTELY I mean... so when I started... this... I uh... you know... obviously ULTIMA ONLINE's one of the sort of original grandaddys of MMOs, it was... started development when I was still at ORIGIN and I know a lot of the people that LED IT, you know obviously, ah... RICHARD GARRIOT LORD BRITISH STAR LONG... and quite a few other folks too, so, uhm... (long pause) ... had... a fair amount of discussions in the early days, ah, you know... long time ago... subscribed to... STAR WARS GALAXIES! and WORLD OF WARCRAFT! and all the rest of them, so... yeah a lot of that's, sort of uhh... kind of has SHAPED... what I wanna do with... Star... ehm-it-did-ah-ee it's ESSENTIALLY it's kinda like I look at what OTHER THINGS DO and I go, "ah I like that bit", or, "I don't like this bit", or "I really would like this kind of experience", that's usually KIND OF why I make games, cos I sort of SEE SOMETHING that I would like a certain way, and there isn't a game out there that sort of DELIVERS that experience and SO I GO AND MAKE IT, which is really how STAR CITIZEN came about cos I sort of felt like the TECHNOLOGY was ready to sort of build this IMMERSIVE WORLD that I've always wanted to venture out in... ah, and, ah, I you know, I have to say that, that the SOCIAL ASPECTS which I think you're asking about here is, ah, one of the things that's really COMPELLING and even in, ah... what you can see right now in, sort of the early stages of SC ALPHA where you know, really, you can't... you know we don't actually have that many systems of gameplay to support the SOCIAL ASPECTS, but people are JUST DOING IT ANYWAY, so, you know, ah... someone gets STRANDED out in a location and they'll go into the chat and say, "hey, come rescue me", and when, we haven't... we're not... we ARE going to have support were you'll have a RESCUE BEACON and it'll show up on a MAP and, you know, you can PAY PEOPLE to PICK YOU UP and stuff like that, but... right now it's all sort of completely informal emergent behaviour, that the... that everyone that's playing is sort of doing, so people are rescuing other people, or, people are like getting together and crewing up ships and going off and getting involved in... you know, ENCOUNTERS and ADVENTURES and ah...

...it's... it's REALLY COOL and we actually have, you know a BIG FOCUS of... uh, the WORLD and the SYSTEM we're building is we're... we're... building PLAY for people that wanna play solo definitely, right which is sort of that old PRIVATEER model but... there's a HUGE FOCUS on how we build... GAMEPLAY that is that sort of... GROUP OF FRIENDS EXPERIENCE were like you and your buddies are flying a CONSTELLATION or ahm, you know, you're out there interacting with other players like SOMEONE NEEDS HELP they need to be REFUELLED or REARMED or SAVED OUT IN SPACE or... ahm... you know... all these kinda things we are BUILDING systems to do that, we have a pretty EXCITING, ahm... sort of... NEXT STAGE COMMUNICATIONS PLATFORM that will UNIFY WHAT WE'RE DOING ON THE WEB and also what'll happen in the game, it's still , you know it's in the EARLY STAGES and we're working on it, so it's not gonna debut right now, but I definitely think that's gonna be PRETTY COOL were you'll be able to... ORGANISE your GROUPS and CHAT GROUPS and FRIENDS and ORGANISATIONS and... and... be... ah, you know... NOT IN THE GAME or IN THE GAME and uh, sort of have FULL PRESENCE in, sort of the CHATS so not the sort of very rudimentary basic one that we have in the game now, uhm, it's just gonna, we're gonna sort of basically UNIFY IT uhm (mumble) platform so you could... ARRANGE on these sort of... chat... SETUPS... for, you know, and your GROUPS and arrange GROUPS and say, "hey let's gather for a game, let's go adventuring together tonight at...", you know... X PM or whatever and later on you go in the game it's already set up, you set it off offline maybe on your... ah... you know... PC or maybe on your mobile but... it's all the same kinda sort of CHAT so you could even have someone PLAYING the game and you could see... say on your... whatever, your ANDROID or IPHONE, ah... and you could be CHATTING with some people that are playing the game IN THE SAME CHAT THING and it's all, and you'll see where they are in the STAR SYSTEMS and so we're, we're gonna have a PRETTY COOL ah, you know there's a lotta focus anyway, it, the upshot is that we're focussing a lot on SOCIAL ASPECTS, getting people together, I mean I definitely am always impressed every time we have an event cos... ah, you know, all these people say, "HAI, you know this, ah yoh way, ya know NEW BEST FRIEND AND I ONLY MET HIM THROUGH STAR CITIZEN", and you know, really it, you know, YES we're a computer game that sits, everyone sits in front of a computer and interacts but, you know, meeting real people on the other end and, so we're thinking about how we can get people to work together, co ordinate together to ACHIEVE THINGS as well as just have, you know, the LONE WOLF GAMEPLAY and then of course we have sort of the BIGGER ORGANISATION META GAMEPLAY as well, planned in there

So I'm thinking when ALL OF IT'S IN which obviously, you know, TAKES TIME because, HAHA, it's wildly ambitious, a-ahaha, it will be um... ya--ehhhh I think socially probably you know our goal is to be... ahh... you know, something that people will look at and say, "THAT IS HOW YOU IMPLEMENT A SORT OF SOCIAL ENGAGEMENT IN YOUR GAME", and I think if you'll look at what we do with the, you know, the WEB side of things and HOW WE DO IT ON THE COMMUNITY SIDE you can definitely see that that's sort of our objective

The best part for me is when he forgets the name of his movie/game.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To me, it feels like gaming back in the late 80s and early 90s was very niche and that it took a lot of ingenuity to get games working properly.
Pretty much. All you really had was sheer CPU grunt and X amount of RAM to play with and a ton of smoke and mirrors to get it to work.
It would be fascinating to go into the University of Texas's files and pull out the source code for Wing Commander and see how much of a hulking mess it was.

I get the feeling that despite the norm for devs to shave off every byte to pack it all in, Roberts insisted otherwise as the more disks that made up a game meant it was epic! despite the fact it blew up the cost for the publisher as it cost more to replicate and ship.

Keep in mind that 3D games were not impossible in 1991, stuff like Red Baron and Chuck Yaegar's Air Combat were already out and even older games like Carrier Command proved you could create large open world 3D simulations.

I get the feeling from Wing Commander that Roberts was trying his best to push form and style above and beyond but back then didn't quite understand how technology could be applied economically. And then twenty years later he makes the same mistake. Just now he's becoming increasingly isolated and cannot blame Origin or Microsoft.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I can't help but notice you've got a loving Hakenkreuz as av about 1/30 of the time

A broken av is nazi twice a day

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No wonder Chris is able to speak and say NOTHING at all, he speaks in back-of-the-box speak.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

"No wonder," Chris says, "just dreams."

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Just to thank Toops and moveable shape, who linked his two posts, for all this. It's nice to read something like this ITT still on occasion, as opposed to just the usual shitposting (even the creative sorts).

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Wtf, only 10 pages since i last looked?

Has everybody simultaneously died?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

then master explaining wire fraud and money laundering.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I hope Chris is actually reading from cue-cards behind the camera

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Wtf, only 10 pages since i last looked?

Has everybody simultaneously died?

Just you.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Apr 25, 2016

So... first question of the ten questions is... uhhh... from CHRISTOPHER ONE ZERO ZERO SIX, which, I would add is a very... GOOD NAME... Christopher... that is... aaaaand he asks...

Q: What can we expect for clothing options in the first implementation and will they have an effect on us (eg. bullet protection)?

A: So, at the beginning we're gonna have, uh, some SOCIAL items like CLOTHES... JACKETS... TROUSERS... T-SHIRTS... plus you'll be able to buy some... FLIGHT SUIT or ARMOUR sets... and these will be sort of our very, ah... EARLY STUFF is kinda sort of our LEGACY ART that you already know, that you run around in, so like a lot of times, you know, everyone's running round in the LIGHT MARINE SUIT... and then occasionally you can earn the MEDIUM MARINE SUIT if you kill LEVEL FIVE OUTLAW, and... um... so those ARMOUR SUITS actually will NOT BE... eh... in the... FINAL... they're not gonna be in SQUADRON 42 and ultimately...they're NOT IN THE FINAL GAME cos we've got a whole new sort of CHARACTER... ehh... PIPELINE and TECH PIPELINE with new SHADERS and all the rest of the STUFF... and so we're... working on those assets and it's a... WHOLE STEP ABOVE... um... where the OLD STUFF is BUT... it's not all ready for everyone to use just yet, a-haha, so... ah... the OLD STUFF'S still pretty cool and uh... so we'll be SELLING some of that for ALPHA UEC in SHOPS down on ARC CORP and... also actually, gonna have a couple of small... smaller shops sitting in PORT OLISAR at the very beginning of the very first implementation of PERSISTENCE and SHOPPING... uh, and the OTHER ONES will give you a bit of protection, um... the NEW ITEM SYSTEM TWO POINT ZERO which I've talked about quite a few times, ah, will have a more sophisticated sort of ARMOUR, like PERSONAL ARMOUR and HELMET implementation with LIFE SUPPORT and all the rest of stuff... and that is actually IN PROGRESS RIGHT NOW, it won't be with the very first iteration of uh... ah... of sort of PERSISTENCE and SHOPPING but... probably a couple of releases later we'll be switching over all the personal items to, ah, sort of the new TWO POINT ZERO SYSTEM... and, uh, that will enable us to have THINGS that will, you know, potentially... KEEP YOU WARM! or you know, help, uh, you know... ABSORB DAMAGE! which is, you know, sort of WHAT ARMOUR DOES, so... ah... LONG TERM, expect to see more of that, at the beginning it will be very sort of BASIC... RUDIMENTARY STUFF, but eh, it's gonna be EXCITING cos it's the first time that... you'll be able to sort of... customise... your... wuh... FLIGHT SUIT YOU'RE WEARING, like what SOCIAL CLOTHES you're running around in, uhm... and, uh... it'll PERSIST, and, ah, you know, you'll earn some money... killing some... AI PIRATES then you can spend some money BUYING A NEW SHIRT OR WHATEVER... in... PORT OLISAR or down at ARC CORP, so, that'll be COOL

Are those the assets that David Jennison (as well as a big portion of Foundry42 char team) quit CIG for? If yes, that would really be hilarious..

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Gravity_Storm posted:

I reckon they have decided to make SQ42 in 32 bit just to get it done and released. They have realised that they need to start shipping something and have completely hosed up the 64 bit environment. Also, watch out for the return of Illfonic assets which were all done in 32 bit...

SQ42 is going to be Illfonic's Star Marine, just rejiggered, and with a bunch of extra stuff dumped into it. They already have it, so why wouldn't they use it?

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

CrazyLoon posted:

Just to thank Toops and moveable shape, who linked his two posts, for all this. It's nice to read something like this ITT still on occasion, as opposed to just the usual shitposting (even the creative sorts).

Risc1911 had a great post about networking fairly recently so go check that out if you missed it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SomethingJones posted:

Apr 25, 2016

Q: With the introduction of persistence and economy will you still be able to rent weapons with REC and use them in the PU?

A: Ah, so NO... REC is only going to be a device used for... um... essentially ELECTRONIC ACCESS which, at the moment is... ARENA COMMANDER but would also be STAR MARINE when that comes online, and if we have sort of a game mode for SATABALL which... also is... DOWN THE LINE... uhm... versus the REAL SATABALL cos you're also gonna be able to REALLY RACE AS WELL... uhm, in our PU UNIVERSE but... all... anything in the PU UNIVERSE will be in UEC but at the beginning it'll be ALPHA UEC which is sort of the... you know... kind of the... you know... TEMPORARY or the... the (air quotes) ALPHA VERSION of our PROPER CURRENCY that... we can reset now and then... ahmm... you know, cos obviously there's gonna be a whole bunch of EXPERIMENTATION and BALANCE ISSUES and all the rest of the STUFF... ah... and so you earn, you'll EARN alpha UEC and use that to... BUY THINGS that will PERSIST, ah, the REC will be just the way it is in ARENA COMMANDER as it is RIGHT NOW. Ah, and you'll PROBABLY also use ALPHA UEC to buy some REC... ah, you know, sort of that META... BUYING, you know, in... in one game, it's sort of you know... (mumble mumble) how many levels down do you go, ahm... so there you go

These transcripts are amazing. They're the only way to truly experience mushmouth's charisma.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

XK posted:

SQ42 is going to be Illfonic's Star Marine, just rejiggered, and with a bunch of extra stuff dumped into it. They already have it, so why wouldn't they use it?

Because Chris didn't make it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tokamak posted:

Get killed by an NPC, your fault. Ship explodes because you accidentally mined a volatile space gas (this is apparently a thing), your fault. Clip an asteroid, your fault. You are not being punished for playing the game, you are suffering the consequences for your poor decision making. Hope you never make any mistakes on day one, otherwise there is going to be a lot of waiting for your Aurora to respawn.

Yeah I bet this firm conviction would survive their first ship loss

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

moveable shape posted:

Risc1911 had a great post about networking fairly recently so go check that out if you missed it.

via the archiving thread

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Gorf is getting his own posts so I'll just toss out some of the other technical effortposts:

Nov 6, 2015 - PU Server Hosting Requirements
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=452393981&forumid=212

Jan 22, 2016 - Server User Limits
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=455280228&forumid=212

Apr 13, 2016 - Server vs Client Authoritative MMOs
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=458649749

Apr 14, 2016 - "Refactoring" Networking Infrastructure
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=458716622

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I'm liking this slower pace.

Also, CR is dreaming. There is no economy (apparently still on the drawing board?) and he wants to sell us persistent items.

Using Alpha UEC, whats next? Beta UEC?

Can we buy Alpha UEC using real money? Store Credit Exchange?

Money Laundering?

Gizmondo?

Mafia?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

no_recall posted:

I'm liking this slower pace.

Also, CR is dreaming. There is no economy (apparently still on the drawing board?) and he wants to sell us persistent items.

Using Alpha UEC, whats next? Beta UEC?

Can we buy Alpha UEC using real money? Store Credit Exchange?

Money Laundering?

Gizmondo?

Mafia?

I object to your slandering of the Gizmondo's good name. After all, it was a product that was somewhat functional and released

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
CIG doesn't have anything approaching the Swedish mafia's competence in game development

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm sad that Erin didn't take the opportunity to learn from them when he had the chance

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
http://elite3d.com/#!works

quote:

INGAME CHARACTER CREATED FOR CLOUD IMPERIUM "STAR CITIZEN"

Another contracted studio?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

AP posted:

http://elite3d.com/#!works

Another contracted studio?

I hope so, because then it could be said that they their design wouldn't be as good as it is without Elite :smug:

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Because Chris didn't make it.

And he certainly didn't approve it. CR is never going to take a pragmatic compromise path to getting SQ42 out. SQ42 is probably much less further along than even we think.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

WebDog posted:

A cocktail of coping mechanisms for sure.
Remember that quote from Ben where he read the budgets for the WC production and found lots of diems being spent purely on alcohol.

It's interesting watching the videos over the years. He starts off as somewhat glazed over but coherent during the pitch and then right on one of the first Wingman's Hangars he starts off on the dreams tangent with Eric Peterson trying to hold his composure through the long winded ramblings "So there'll be racing?" .."oh..yeah...lots of racing yeah...we want that too".

And Eric. He's likely kicking himself for being fooled again.

At least he saw enough red flags and bailed. But the RSI team appear to hate his guts.
Eric was pretty well shafted on RSI chat for promoting Descent. Lando smacked him with the ban hammer.

Next time someone gives Lando a pass remember this. Lando is as much a piece of poo poo as the others.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.facebook.com/elite3d/posts/1170219486322360

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I object to your slandering of the Gizmondo's good name. After all, it was a product that was somewhat functional and released

I was referring to management, Gizmondo was awesome in concept and so is Star Citizen (yes, really). Its just bad management ruined it for us consumers.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

i like the lulls in the thread they give us a space for contemplation

i think mindfulness is the key to enjoyable and healthy posting

When posts of shills enter your mind, acknowledge them for what they are and return your attention to your posting with loving-kindness.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SomethingJones posted:

Apr 25, 2016 @ 5:11

Q: It seems to me there have been a lot of lessons learned in online gaming over the last 15 years. My question is, have you been in discussion with former colleagues from your Origin or wider afield and has this influenced your thinking on your development strategy for SC? I ask because one of the truly enjoyable aspects of some of their games have been around player economy and socialization (thinking SWG particularly).

A: <Unreadable gibberish>

Here, let me help anyone having trouble reading that appallingly transcribed presentation.

Doing it properly now:

A: Wlel yaeh, you konw ABEOLLSUTY I maen... so wehn I steatrd... tihs... I uh... you konw... olsiuvboy UMLITA OL'INENs one of the srot of oagirnil gnyddardas of MOMs, it was... satrted dnveepomelt wehn I was siltl at ORIIGN and I konw a lot of the pleope taht LED IT, you konw ousolivby, ah... RRACIHD GIRAROT LROD BIITRSH SATR LNOG... and qiute a few ohter fokls too, so, uhm... (lnog psuae) ... had... a fiar amuont of docnsussiis in the erlay dyas, ah, you konw... lnog tmie ago... suesbrbicd to... SATR WRAS GAALEIXS! and WLROD OF WRFCARAT! and all the rset of tehm, so... yaeh a lot of tt'ahs, srot of uhh... knid of has SAPHED... waht I wnnaa do wtih... Satr... ehm-it-did-ah-ee i'ts ENSSEATLLIY i'ts kidna lkie I look at waht OETHR TGNIHS DO and I go, "ah I lkie taht bit", or, "I d'ont lkie tihs bit", or "I rlelay wluod lkie tihs knid of eerixcpene", th'ats uluasly KNID OF why I mkae gemas, cos I srot of SEE SNOEIMHTG taht I wloud lkie a caterin way, and three in'st a gmae out trehe taht srot of DVRELIES taht enriexepce and SO I GO AND MKAE IT, wcihh is rlaley how SATR CTEIIZN cmae abuot cos I srot of flet lkie the TNCGOEHOLY was raedy to srot of bilud tihs IRIVESMME WOLRD taht Iv'e alyaws wteand to vurntee out in... ah, and, ah, I you konw, I hvae to say taht, taht the SCIOAL APCTESS wchih I tinhk yruo'e aknisg abuot hree is, ah, one of the tgnihs tat'hs relaly CNOLMEPILG and eevn in, ah... waht you can see rhigt now in, srot of the erlay sategs of SC APLHA wehre you konw, rlealy, you cna't... you konw we d'not auclalty hvae taht mnay sesmtys of gaaeplmy to sorpupt the SIACOL ASEPTCS, but poelpe are JSUT DNOIG IT AWNAYY, so, you konw, ah... smnooee gtes SERNATDD out in a loaotcin and tyhe'll go itno the caht and say, "hey, cmoe rseuce me", and wehn, we havne't... wre'e not... we ARE ginog to hvae suoprpt wree yuo'll hvae a RUECSE BEAOCN and i'tll sohw up on a MAP and, you konw, you can PAY PELOPE to PCIK YOU UP and sutff lkie taht, but... rghit now i'ts all srot of ceotmelply ifnroaml eemgnert bvaehuoir, taht the... taht eroeynve tht'as pyinalg is srot of dinog, so popele are ruceinsg oehtr pelpoe, or, ppeole are lkie gteting tetgoher and cwrineg up sihps and gnoig off and gettnig ievnolvd in... you konw, ETECNRUONS and ANRTDVEUES and ah...

...i'ts... i'ts RLALEY COOL and we aculltay hvae, you konw a BIG FUCOS of... uh, the WOLRD and the SYTESM w'ere bunidlig is wre'e... w'ree... bnuidilg PALY for poplee taht wnnaa paly sloo diefentliy, rghit wihch is srot of taht old PERTEIVAR moedl but... ther'es a HGUE FUCOS on how we biuld... GALPAMEY taht is taht srot of... GUORP OF FRIDENS ECINPXEERE wree lkie you and yuor buddeis are fnilyg a COEOILALTSNTN or ahm, you konw, yuo're out trehe iirecannttg wtih oehtr pelyars lkie SONEOME NDEES HLEP tehy need to be REEUEFLLD or RMEARED or SEAVD OUT IN SCPAE or... ahm... you konw... all teshe kidna tgnhis we are BLIDUNIG stsemys to do taht, we hvae a pertty EXTIINCG, ahm... srot of... NXET SAGTE COAICOUTNNMIMS PRTFOALM taht wlil UFNIY WAHT WR'EE DONIG ON THE WEB and aslo w'ahtll hpepan in the gmae, i'ts sltil , you konw i'ts in the ELARY STAEGS and w'ere wnikorg on it, so i'ts not gnona dbeut rgiht now, but I dfinteliey tinhk tta'hs gnnoa be PTTREY COOL wree yl'uol be albe to... OSARINGE yuor GRUPOS and CAHT GORPUS and FERINDS and OSTNOIANGIRAS and... and... be... ah, you konw... NOT IN THE GMAE or IN THE GMAE and uh, srot of hvae FLUL PREENSCE in, srot of the CHTAS so not the srot of vrey rmraditneuy bsaic one taht we hvae in the gmae now, uhm, i'ts jsut gnona, wr'ee gnona srot of baicsllay UFNIY IT uhm (mlumbe) pflortam so you cluod... AGRARNE on tsehe srot of... caht... SPEUTS... for, you konw, and yuor GRPUOS and aarnrge GORPUS and say, "hey l'ets getahr for a gmae, le'ts go atindrvueng tghoteer tongiht at...", you konw... X PM or wheteavr and letar on you go in the gmae i'ts aelardy set up, you set it off offlnie mybae on yuor... ah... you konw... PC or mbyae on yuor mlbioe but... i'ts all the smae kidna srot of CAHT so you cuold eevn hvae smoonee PLAYNIG the gmae and you colud see... say on yuor... wteehvar, yuor ANIRODD or IOHNPE, ah... and you cloud be CHNTITAG wtih smoe pelpoe taht are plinyag the gmae IN THE SMAE CAHT TNIHG and i'ts all, and yu'oll see wrhee tehy are in the SATR SSETYMS and so w'ere, w'ere gnnoa hvae a PRTTEY COOL ah, you konw t'eerhs a ltota fcous ayanwy, it, the uphsot is taht wr'ee funcsoisg a lot on SICAOL APCESTS, gitetng poplee tetoehgr, I maen I dnteeliify am aylaws iperssmed eevry tmie we hvae an evnet cos... ah, you konw, all teshe ppeloe say, "HAI, you konw tihs, ah yoh way, ya konw NEW BSET FINRED AND I OLNY MET HIM TURGHOH SATR CTIZIEN", and you konw, rlelay it, you konw, YES w'ree a coupmetr gmae taht stis, eyrvneoe stis in fnort of a cmotpeur and irctaents but, you konw, mteieng rael popele on the oethr end and, so wr'ee tknihnig aoubt how we can get ppolee to wrok ttegehor, co odinatre togetehr to AEVCHIE TNGIHS as wlel as jsut hvae, you konw, the LNOE WLOF GEPAMLAY and tehn of crsoue we hvae srot of the BIGEGR OOANTSIGAIRN MTEA GAMPAELY as wlel, pnaneld in three

So I'm tikinnhg wehn ALL OF I'TS IN wichh oiuvlosby, you konw, TKEAS TMIE bueacse, HHAA, i'ts wldily abiimouts, a-ahhaa, it wlil be um... ya--ehhhh I tnihk solcaliy problbay you konw our gaol is to be... ahh... you konw, setnomihg taht ppleoe wlil look at and say, "TAHT IS HOW YOU IEMPLEMNT A SROT OF SOIACL EANMENGEGT IN YUOR GMAE", and I tihnk if yuol'l look at waht we do wtih the, you konw, the WEB sdie of tnghis and HOW WE DO IT ON THE CMTNOUMIY SDIE you can delfteiiny see taht taht's srot of our oeitcbvje

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I can still read it though :(

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile at CIG.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEjLc1ySwSs/

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, still at CIG.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEpgQExSweM/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEPa3PcFcsM/

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

WebDog posted:

A cocktail of coping mechanisms for sure.
Remember that quote from Ben where he read the budgets for the WC production and found lots of diems being spent purely on alcohol.

It's interesting watching the videos over the years. He starts off as somewhat glazed over but coherent during the pitch and then right on one of the first Wingman's Hangars he starts off on the dreams tangent with Eric Peterson trying to hold his composure through the long winded ramblings "So there'll be racing?" .."oh..yeah...lots of racing yeah...we want that too".

And Eric. He's likely kicking himself for being fooled again.

At least he saw enough red flags and bailed. But the RSI team appear to hate his guts.
Eric was pretty well shafted on RSI chat for promoting Descent. Lando smacked him with the ban hammer.

And continuing on with how Chris's reputation began to sour in the industry post Origin, I found this interview with Richard Garriott.

The impression I'm getting is despite Chris being gifted, and certainly at one point having enough talent early on in his career, he was given such leeway for effectively creating one of the industry's first big hits that it got so far too his head and EA was so keen on "the next big blockbuster" they let it happen and then realised their mistake.

Any of the behind the scenes videos at the time of WC 3/4 attest he's really playing director and the game is second fiddle. Somewhere around that time he went full rockstar and drowned any remaining talent in a sea of grog and recreational drugs which wasn't helped by a reputation as a stubborn taskmaster fluttered through the industry capped off by him being removed from his self-funded dream project and sending him into a major personal crash.

The tragedy of Star Citizen is that for so many of the key players it's not a quest to create the BDSSE, but to redeem themselves in the eyes of an industry and others who have given up on them.

Sandi, Ortwin, Lando and to a degree Ben, have all become pariahs in their retrospective industry and communities and expect Chris to somehow save them from their own mistakes. Chris makes the major mistake of sympathising with them out of a common bond not realising just how much damage is being done.

good effort post.
:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He has the hands of a magician. Someone make him do a magic trick!

He did. He made $112M disappear.

• Locked thread