Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Minotaur time

Who better to get you out of a maze?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

Minotaur time

Literally anybody! The entire point of the minotaur's maze was to keep him there!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Literally anybody! The entire point of the minotaur's maze was to keep him there!

But we've established the Sorcerer is an idiot! Don't let him in on it!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Night10194 posted:

But we've established the Sorcerer is an idiot! Don't let him in on it!

Don't worry, guys, I figured we might get lost so I-
Ow, what the gently caress?
Did you just trip over this tiny piece of string? What a loser.
Stupid string! I'll show you!

God damnit.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Night10194 posted:

Minotaur time

A question in return: what is the difference between a maze and a labyrinth? I don't expect an answer, though, since you can't tell a prison from a thread.

yeah I just finished Room 3 but I really like that riddle from the bad ending

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

A question in return: what is the difference between a maze and a labyrinth? I don't expect an answer, though, since you can't tell a prison from a thread.

yeah I just finished Room 3 but I really like that riddle from the bad ending

Labyrinths typically didn't have branching paths, if I recall correctly. They were just long curvy passageways where it took a lot longer to get from point A to point B than it would have if you had a jackhammer handy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Labyrinths typically didn't have branching paths, if I recall correctly. They were just long curvy passageways where it took a lot longer to get from point A to point B than it would have if you had a jackhammer handy.

a maze you're trying to get out, a Labyrinth you're trying to get to the center

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

A maze doesn't have David Bowie. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

KataraniSword posted:

A maze doesn't have David Bowie. :colbert:

But it does have Ziggy :smug:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Random ridiculous weapon drops are as good a motivator for new party members as any.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto IV, Stanza 1: Meat Locker

Look, in all seriousness, can we get another fighter? I'm not looking forward to going squish every time we fight a boss.

Oh, you want a fighter? I got your fighter right here :boom:

I call upon the Power of the Mad Horned God! Come forth, the Raging Bull!

You summonin' me?

...yyyyyes?

You summonin' me?

That's kind of the ide—

Then who the hell else are you summonin'? You summonin' me?!

Regretting this already.

Just remember, all of this is your fault.

Just this once, the goons decided not to screw with the narrative, and we actually get a Minotaur to go with our shiny new axe! :woop:

As you can see, the Minotaur just a big ol' slab of Grade A whoopass. There is nothing fancy about him whatsoever. He will go out and swing his axe every round until either his opponents fall over or he does. Compounding the hilarity, the Minotaur's weapons and special attacks have huge variance. For those of you less math-y, that means we are going to see all sorts of numbers come out of those axe swings. Sometimes, they will make you go :ughh:. Sometimes, they will make you go :stonkhat:. It's never a dull moment with the Minotaur.

A big downside, though, is that he can't wear more than light armor, This is mitigated somewhat by his stupidly high HP growth rate, but we'd rather he not take that damage in the first place. Still, them's the breaks. We'll just toss whatever armor we've got on him and deal.

You put him in a leather cape?

Yup.

You're a sick man, chief.

It's part of my charm! :iamafag:

Looks like we're geared up. Let's take Ferdinand here for a test drive!

Brr.

No kidding. This Elvish Leather stuff may be awesome in a fight, but it doesn't do poo poo to keep you warm.

I'm not surprised. Elves don't live in cold climates, their skin's probably not much help against it.

Uh... I thought this was armor made by elves.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Maybe we can jump across?

That's a drat fine idea!

You had to bring it up, didn't you?

He was just gonna do it anyway.

Well, there goes that plan.

I hate all of you

Fine, we'll do it the other way. :rolleyes:

Eesh, it's even worse down here. How're you holding up, R.B.?

Don't be fooled by the fur. I'm freezin' my meatballs off over here.

I dunno, it's not that bad.

Well, some of us have internal body temperature to worry about.

Know what the best part is? I can keep my beer cold just by holding it!

You're my wingman for a reason, bro.

Lemme at 'em!

All yours, champ.

New foes! These are ice hounds. They behave about how you'd exp—

Bada BING

Well. Well okay then.

The Axe of Destruction is really not a weapon we should have at this point, but it sure is nice regardless. :allears: Now that we've ripped a massive hole through this group, we can take our time and try out a few new tactics.

Pfft, who cares about area effect damage? Just watch what I can do with this spell!

I gotta say, I was real impressed when you cast that ice spell on a monster that lives in a freezer.

Oh shut up.

I actually didn't know this, but Final Fantasy elemental rules are in effect in Paper Sorceror. Cast Ice at ice monsters (or Fire at fire monsters) and you heal them instead of damaging them. It's funny/terrible the first few times, but you'd have to be pretty dumb to keep doing it to the same monsters.

Know what this situation calls for? Frost Fall.

NO

:mad:

At any rate, this fight is mostly Raging Bull going full ham beef with Vlad and the Sorceror serving as cleanup. And if you thought Bull wasn't doing enough damage...

Who the gently caress do you think you're talkin' to

Are we sure we want him on the team? He seems kinda... unstable.

Plus he has a huge loving axe.

I swear, you guys'll complain about anything.

Blood for the frickin' blood god, skulls for the frickin' skull throne :black101:

See? He's fine!

Yeeeeah. Oh, speaking of team members—where's Frank?

Last I heard, he was meeting with a potential client.

quote:

Now, you can probably classify new parts as a medical expense.

I wouldn't push it too far, though. It'll hold up in court, but audits are a major-league pain in the rear end.

i'll swallow your soul

Oh, that reminds me. As a contractor, you can write off meals.

go on

Great, he's running a side business on my dime. I thought CPAs were supposed to have ethics...

I know a little bit about law! You want me to get his contract severed?

No uh I mean, that won't be necessary. He's providing a useful public service. I can look the other way.

Uh huh.

I'm nothing if not magnanimous! :smug:

Do we still have that white key?

:unsmith:

Enough with the scenary! You gonna let me hit somethin' or what?

Guy with the robe and horns would probably be a good start.

Hey, Frank! Who were you meeting with?

Sorry, my clients value their privacy.

Well, if Frank's back, I'm taking a break. I haven't had time away from this stupid dungeon in forever.

I haven't banished you! You shouldn't be able to leave! How are you guys even doing this?

Beats me. See ya!

Arrrrrrgh

I wonder how these elevators work? It's not like they have a lot of tech to build them with.

I think "you got trapped in a book" is the point where reality stops giving a poo poo.

Well well well!

Nice edge on that thing. You got good tastes, paisan.

Back atcha! :ocelot:

Ugh, get a room or something.

The stairs already? Well, whatever.

What about the door?

What door?

The one with—

Ehn, fuggetaboutit. With his attention span, we're lucky he remembers about the book.

What book?

It's never easy, is it?

Nope.

I am Everard Magius, wizard of the north and sentinel of the Librum Claustrum.

Everard.

I will make you pay for all the noble lives you've taken...

...And leave you frozen here for all eternity!

... ... Everard.

Your parents seriously named you Everard aaaaahahahaha

:roflolmao:

Shut up

Magius Everard here is a Frost Wizard. I believe it's a unique encounter, but we're coming up on the part of the game I haven't seen before.

(Whoops, did I forget to mention that? After this cell block, I'm going into the rest of the game blind. This'll be an adventure! :getin: )

Anyway, while not an actual mini-boss—he doesn't get the frantic OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo boss music—he's a little bit tougher than your average mooks. He also comes with dogie :3:

Aw. Dogie :saddowns:

It doesn't take much to put him down with this crew: wild swing, scorch, a big clobber upside the head from Frank, and he's done. If you like offensive damage, this is the party for you. You'll have to manage your resources carefully, because Vlad can only heal effectively while his HP is high, and Frank's healing isn't nearly as powerful as Willow's. Still, with this lineup, you get:

• A really good healer (Vlad) and backup healer (Frank)
  • Restore Defense and Defense buffs
  • Shield skill that can be cast on anyone
  • Disgustingly powerful AoE strike (Raging Bull)
  • Brutal single strike skills (both Bull and Vlad)
  • Powerful magical damage (Sorceror and Vlad)

The fact that we've tossed an arcanite sword on the Sorceror just makes it even more appealing. If you like watching big numbers pop up when you hit things, these are your guys. Just keep in mind that you don't have the Witch or Fanatic, so load up on potions if you're taking them to a boss shindig. For random encounters, though? It's like taking a sherman tank into trench warfare. :killdozer:

Thanks for the key, Everard. *snicker*

He coughs up the Frozen key without disrespectin' us, maybe this goes down a little different.

Yeah. All he had to do was...

...let it go.

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

(...I've got to get new summons.)

Man, I love murderin' people for their housekeys. It's like you're accomplishing twice as much crime for half the effort.

Evil smarter, not harder!

Time to go, twerp.

Woah, woah! Just hear me out for a sec.

Ehn, why not.

It's not just me—the Reaper wants the whole book dead. You, me, everyone.

That don't sound good.

It's not! Those of us who escape are actually working against his plan!

:shivdurf: Before he can say anything more the spirit is sucked into the black stone.

I got bored and stopped listening. Okay, let's steal everything in the room!

Huh.

Uh...

Why... why does this armor have a tail?

What the gently caress?

Aw, hell. He was a furry.

Gah! Vlad, go resurrect him so we can kill him again!

...that's not how that works, chief...

Does no one here respect my authority

:shivdurf: Since in ideal conditions; the device is customized to that which it is imprisoning.

What the—the king didn't even build this book?

Looks like.

loving hell! He's not just self-righteous, he's lazy!

Do you think he knows what it was originally for?

Doubt it. He probably didn't get much farther than "DURR HURR BIG LIGHT MAKE BAD MAN GO BYE BYE" before drooling all over his scepter.

Heh.

I mean kings aren't known for being not-inbred, s'all I'm sayin'.

Any other mages with hilariously dumb names want to ambush us? Anybody?

Looks like that's a no.

Solid. Let's get out of here before they change their mind.

Hey, hey yo! Check this poo poo out!

I think it's a pair of Zubaz or somethin'!

Ziggy is going to poo poo himself.

And it will be glorious.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So we have an anthropomorphic bull wearing a cat fursuit. Now we need to summon the werewolf and have him wear the bear suit.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Lone Badger posted:

So we have an anthropomorphic bull wearing a cat fursuit. Now we need to summon the werewolf and have him wear the bear suit.

This LP is suddenly getting very uncomfortable.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

The Lone Badger posted:

we need to summon the werewolf

That's what I've been saying all along! :bahgawd:

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
I had to laugh that after all the furry armour jokes even the book is described as "Dog eared".

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zathril posted:

I had to laugh that after all the furry armour jokes even the book is described as "Dog eared".

That was the one that got me, and he didn't even comment on it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RickVoid posted:

That was the one that got me, and he didn't even comment on it.

I tried to work it in but couldn't make the joke flow very well. I figured you guys were sharp enough to see it :)

Thyself D. Mad
Jan 14, 2015
Bought this game thanks to this LP. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it that much, but it's actually pretty good at pulling you in. Just about to fight the boss in the next cellblock after this one.

Also, nice working in what you find into the LP!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Well, I plowed through the game again over the last few days and I can vouch that the Minotaur/Vampire/Abomination PUNCHFACE team is exactly as effective as you'd expect. Had a few lucky drops come my way which helped out quite a bit. I also got the puppet, although I rarely if ever actually used it.

I might give it another go, either on Normal again or trying out Hard. The DoT and Defensive stuff helped out at the start of the game but towards the end most strategy went out the window and was replaced with "hit things hard". Not sure if my willingness to go back to town every few fights played a role in that or not.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Chokes McGee posted:

Blood for the frickin' blood god, skulls for the frickin' skull throne :black101:

I gotta say, Kharn The Minotaur seems like a pretty fun guy to be around. :v:

And dear god has he been piling on the damage. Chokes, how many sacrifices have you been making to the RNG lately?

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Just want to point out that while the initial spell might have an element tied to it, the Dot that occurs after doesn't seem to. Which means you can use Frost Fall and other spells that cause damage over turn, and only the initial casting will heal, while the DOT will continue to damage enemies just fine.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dr. Snark posted:

I gotta say, Kharn The Minotaur seems like a pretty fun guy to be around. :v:

And dear god has he been piling on the damage. Chokes, how many sacrifices have you been making to the RNG lately?

After what happened during FFL2, it loving owes me.

DeliciousCookie posted:

Just want to point out that while the initial spell might have an element tied to it, the Dot that occurs after doesn't seem to. Which means you can use Frost Fall and other spells that cause damage over turn, and only the initial casting will heal, while the DOT will continue to damage enemies just fine.

Ha! Eat it, I was right all along!

You know Frost Fall doesn't do damage over time, right?

Sounds like someone's a sore loser.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

DeliciousCookie posted:

So, presuming a theoretical lava monster, after you set it on fire there is a very real chance that it will burn to death.

Fayrn
Apr 5, 2009
Now that we have the Minotaur, put him in a group with the Ghost and use Dirge of Frailty before one of his giant :fuckoff: physical AoEs and giggle at everything getting bisected.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, if the RNG can't be generous at least it can be funny.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fayrn posted:

Now that we have the Minotaur, put him in a group with the Ghost and use Dirge of Frailty before one of his giant :fuckoff: physical AoEs and giggle at everything getting bisected.

Minotaur/Shadow/Ghost :unsmigghh:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Chokes McGee posted:

Minotaur/Shadow/Ghost :unsmigghh:

Team RNG all the way.

What level is the party currently sitting at by the way?

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
cellblock 4 is probably where the shift happens from hard bosses to hard encounters happens but other then that, rather uninteresting .

the minotaurs biggest weakness apart from armor is his energy regen skill is only good for +1, meaning that most of the time he isn't using skills unless you give him items with the collect energy skill.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
The glyph skill is kinda useful against mages, too, as it increases Cold and Fire resistance. I don't remember its exact name at the moment. Though it helped since I picked the Skeleton as my tank, so I didn't really have any good anti-mage defense.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AmewTheFox posted:

The glyph skill is kinda useful against mages, too, as it increases Cold and Fire resistance. I don't remember its exact name at the moment. Though it helped since I picked the Skeleton as my tank, so I didn't really have any good anti-mage defense.

Sigil of Minos and yes, we will see that in action.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

So, presuming a theoretical lava monster, after you set it on fire there is a very real chance that it will burn to death.

Yep. Thats how I got through this section actually. I forgot what the name of the multi-target ice spell was, but I'd cast it on all the dogs, heal them with initial damage, and then the cold dot would slowly cause them to freeze to death over time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi guys! Thread's not dead, update should be dropping in a couple of days.

Spoilers: If you are a fan of red numbers that are quite a bit higher than zero, you are going to love this next one.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Spoilers: If you are a fan of red numbers that are quite a bit higher than zero, you are going to love this next one.

Oh man, DO I! :dance: It's even more amazing when it brings OTHER numbers from a high number to BELOW zero in one shot.

I really need to give this game a shot. It looks fun and like many things, I bought it sometime during a Humble Bundle and, AGAIN, like many Humble Bundle games, never bothered to check it out.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi thread! Guess where I'm spending the night! Did you guess the hospital? If so this probably isn't your first Chokes McGee LP.

Anyway there may be a sliiiiiight delay getting the next installment out the door as El Hijo del LP Curse has decided to come knocking. Let's just say this is probably the last LP I'll be doing for a while if my wife has anything to say about it. :ughh:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I know we joke that the LP curse is a real thing, but I think you totally need to start writing your LP updates in a salt circle. :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SystemLogoff posted:

I know we joke that the LP curse is a real thing, but I think you totally need to start writing your LP updates in a salt circle. :v:

There is no pentagram, crucifix, or feng shui on the planet that can combat this thing. You can only hope to outrun it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

There is no pentagram, crucifix, or feng shui on the planet that can combat this thing. You can only hope to outrun it.
You can run but you can't hide.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

You can run but you can't hide.

This is going to look inappropriate as gently caress when it turns out that Chokes is in the hospital due to a freak ventriloquism accident.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is going to look inappropriate as gently caress when it turns out that Chokes is in the hospital due to a freak ventriloquism accident.

"freak".

He knows what goons made him summon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Hope everything turns out ok Chokes.....you seriously are cursed :downs:

Also, if you like hilariously one sided parties, try Sorc, Minotaur, Puppet (double guillotine arm) and :ghost:

Healing, defense, and CC tend to not be necessary when you can just :fuckoff: everybody

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 5, 2016

• Locked thread