Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

lite_sleepr posted:

I probably shouldn't worry about min/maxing to death and just play with what looks cool and what I like c/d

c, you will have more fun and carefree times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
OK I'm going to be a spear using shieldmaiden on her damned and never ending rounds to deliver holy missives. Defending myself with spear and shield while sustaining myself with a few restorative spells, I will impale hollow nerds until the ashy cows come home.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Hoping to do this Greirat thing right this time, what is the correct order for doing this in? I heard it was send out Greirat -> talk to Siegward in the kitchen -> kill Pontiff, is that correct?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
where's my loving mask of the father FROM

you put in armor from pretty much every other DS1 NPC

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Kiggles posted:

Weapons with bleed damage. :downs:

Seriously, almost any bleed weapon will work, but can have varying degrees of dependence upon the bleed. Bandit Knife relies heavily on bleed, so it won't really work very well until you can infuse for bleed, with good luck, and slapping Carthus Rouge on there. Warden Twinblades are fairly similar, but fair a little better as normal weapons that also happen to bleed.

Morning Star also works, having high base damage, letting you dump more stats into Luck on a raw infusion to still maintain OK base damage. Also blunt damage which is pretty good for a lot of NPCs that don't bleed.

Barbed Straight is nice - not as fast as bandit or Warden, but it's still a straight sword for all the perks of having a straight sword.

Pick whatever weapon you like and fiddle with your stats to make it work. Bleed is generally good. Even the Flamberge gets an honorable mention in this regard. not a great bleed weapon, but it's still a good greatsword (claymore moveset) that has better range AND bleed.

Thank you

I do think the Twinblades is a fun moveset so I'm going to do that

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

The message said 'Bonfire?'

Is there a reason they're so close together?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Bardeh posted:

I was in a fight club with a guy using this the other day and it does ridiculous damage. I couldn't see any way to avoid it, either.

it's like the attack in the actual bossfight- you can learn the timing and always roll it + punish

it's a really good long range poke though because even though the startup is super slow it's enough to get away with it- you should always have time to roll away from an evasive roll-> attack from that distance

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Bardeh posted:

The message said 'Bonfire?'

it's possible someone had a bug where the bonfire didn't show up but even that is probably reading too much into it

people just like to post silly messages like on here :shobon:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheQat posted:

it's possible someone had a bug where the bonfire didn't show up but even that is probably reading too much into it

people just like to post silly messages like on here :shobon:

No, I mean the message mirrored my thoughts - why the hell is there a bonfire here when there's one literally in view with no enemies between the two???

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

Every boss has a bonfire, and every new area has one.
They could have done without the boss bonfire but it would be weird if every other boss has one except this one. It's just for bookkeeping.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Bardeh posted:

No, I mean the message mirrored my thoughts - why the hell is there a bonfire here when there's one literally in view with no enemies between the two???

oooooohh i get it. yeah i don't know, i had that thought a couple times in my first playthrough

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bardeh posted:

the bonfires are enemies. Let the best bonfire win.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The second bonfire could be a lazy fix to a loading issues or something. The boss door might be a point where they start loading stuff to the previous area or something and putting a bonfire on the archives side saved some loading hick ups.

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Weapons with bleed damage. :downs:

Seriously, almost any bleed weapon will work, but can have varying degrees of dependence upon the bleed. Bandit Knife relies heavily on bleed, so it won't really work very well until you can infuse for bleed, with good luck, and slapping Carthus Rouge on there. Warden Twinblades are fairly similar, but fair a little better as normal weapons that also happen to bleed.

I've had been doing just fine with the bandit's knife. The two handed r1 is a great poke. It is really easy to proc bleed with just the basic knife, and you can easily break most shields and get a free crit. When I had my high luck gimmick build, I was bleeding players with 4 hits, quite easy to achieve with the knife. Also quick step is insanely good, so many invincibility frames.

Infusing it moves bleed from 33 to 36. Is that even worth it?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

stoicheian posted:

Considering your damage will primarily come from the bleed, probably. Remember the status is an absolute value, so 33-36 is like a 10% bonus. Practically, it's use could vary, some fights it might not make any difference at all. Some fights it might mean proccing in one less hit, which can really make a big difference in this context - it might mean every combo procs, opposed to every combo +1 attack. Windows of opportunity and all that. I'm not sure whether anyone has tested whether bleed infusion can actually improve the effect of the bleed proc. I know DS1 had different bleed effects on different weapons. Some would only trigger like 20% of HP, where the Lifehunt Scythe would bleed for something like 50%.

But I was speaking more generally. bandit knife tends to lack a little in PvE, and in PvP the range has caused me more problems than not. Even in PvE the range bites me in the rear end. I'd probably take Barbed Straight any day over the bandit knife.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

stoicheian posted:

If the status effects are like "applies <x> poison (minus resistances or whatever) and at 100 then the target is poisoned" then wouldn't 3 extra bleed not make a difference in how many hits it takes to apply bleed?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm about to finish the game and want to start a new character. What would a luck build look like? Just pump to 40 luck? What weapons would be good for that? I didn't level it up once on my first character.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm about to finish the game and want to start a new character. What would a luck build look like? Just pump to 40 luck? What weapons would be good for that? I didn't level it up once on my first character.

You can go for bleed, but the easiest way to make progress with a Luck build is to pump VGR until you get to Road of sacrifice, then kill the hell out of Anri for his/her sword, which scales with Luck. That will easily carry you through the rest of the game while you level luck to 40. From there, you still have options to bleed or Hollow most any weapon to take advantage of the Luck bonus. Frostbite might also be OK, but there are few options for it, and I'm not yet certain on the effectiveness.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I've been gone from the thread for two days and missed 1500 posts. Is the tl;dr of the poise thing "poise only works for NPCs"?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I've been gone from the thread for two days and missed 1500 posts. Is the tl;dr of the poise thing "poise only works for NPCs"?

yes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kiggles posted:

You can go for bleed, but the easiest way to make progress with a Luck build is to pump VGR until you get to Road of sacrifice, then kill the hell out of Anri for his/her sword, which scales with Luck. That will easily carry you through the rest of the game while you level luck to 40. From there, you still have options to bleed or Hollow most any weapon to take advantage of the Luck bonus. Frostbite might also be OK, but there are few options for it, and I'm not yet certain on the effectiveness.

Sweet, I finished her questline on this character so I'll shank her and take it then. I've been frostbitten a few times and it's never really mattered in the same way as bleed. Is hers the only real Luck weapon besides bleed-related ones?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Spanish Manlove posted:

If the status effects are like "applies <x> poison (minus resistances or whatever) and at 100 then the target is poisoned" then wouldn't 3 extra bleed not make a difference in how many hits it takes to apply bleed?

It might depend on resistance, I don't know, but if it's just "raise meter from 0 to 100, adding this integer with every hit" then 33 would need four hits and 36 would only need 3.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Sweet, I finished her questline on this character so I'll shank her and take it then. I've been frostbitten a few times and it's never really mattered in the same way as bleed. Is hers the only real Luck weapon besides bleed-related ones?

there's a staff that scales w/ luck from rank 2 finger cov.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

RBA Starblade posted:

You can hollow a weapon to make it scale with luck I think

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stoicheian posted:

I've had been doing just fine with the bandit's knife. The two handed r1 is a great poke. It is really easy to proc bleed with just the basic knife, and you can easily break most shields and get a free crit. When I had my high luck gimmick build, I was bleeding players with 4 hits, quite easy to achieve with the knife. Also quick step is insanely good, so many invincibility frames.

Don't infuse weapons with bleed. You lose too much base damage for the amount of extra bleed you get. You're better off using a weapon with innate bleed and using Carthus Rouge on it. If you're going for a heavy Luck build for all that bleed, make the weapon Hollow--that won't affect its innate bleed.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

You can get a catalyst from Rosaria's Fingers covenant rewards that scales with luck, apparently. You still need to hit spell requirements to cast, but I guess it's an option.

Not aware of any other weapons, but I believe the Hollow infusion works fine - probably better with fast weapons, because of generally lower base stat requirements, but I greatshields are still great, and if you have 30+ str anyway, there is not reason you can't Hollow Infuse a giant club or something to take better advantage of your Luck. Scaling for the original stats is still there (just diminished?) so you're still getting something out of the base requirements.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

You can hollow a weapon to make it scale with luck I think

You can, but Anri's sword is better than basically any Hollow weapon because it doesn't sacrifice base damage for the Luck scaling like the Hollow infusion does. It's a really great weapon.

It also has a tiny bit of innate Faith scaling, weirdly enough. Like, E scaling, but still. I'm pretty sure it's the only weapon that both scales with Faith and can be buffed, so it can let you (very slightly) double-dip on weapon buffs like Lightning/Darkmoon Blade.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Beat the game and respecced to Faith to mess around with builds. Who upgrades chimes? Irina doesn't have the option.

VVV Thanks bud

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 26, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boosh! posted:

Beat the game and respecced to Faith to mess around with builds. Who upgrades chimes? Irina doesn't have the option.

I think Andre, because they're treated like weapons.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the only weapon that both scales with Faith and can be buffed, so it can let you (very slightly) double-dip on weapon buffs like Lightning/Darkmoon Blade.

Woah, really? That immediately makes it better than Bless Infused weapons as well, because it doesn't give up the base damage for the HP regen (and minor bonus damage vs reanimate). Could double stack with Blessed Weapon buff for extra regen (nominal) and a % bonus to the pure physical. That's a silly straight sword.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Woah, really? That immediately makes it better than Bless Infused weapons as well, because it doesn't give up the base damage for the HP regen (and minor bonus damage vs reanimate). Could double stack with Blessed Weapon buff for extra regen (nominal) and a % bonus to the pure physical. That's a silly straight sword.

Yeah, so the deal with Anri's Straight Sword is that it sort of has both the Blessed and Hollow infusions innately, without giving up much base damage or the ability to buff. It's a really unique weapon. It doesn't scale well with anything but Luck, but it scales D with both Strength and Dexterity and E with Faith naturally.

I'm not sure if that E Faith scaling would be enough to make it better than a Raw weapon on a pure Faith build or not.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
It would have made a fair amount of sense to scale hollow weapons with hollowing...

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
What's the point of using a luck build? Sounds sorta gimmicky.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It would have made a fair amount of sense to scale hollow weapons with hollowing...

They kinda do. Hollow weapons scale with Luck and also give you bonus Luck depending on how much Hollowing you have. When the weapon is +10 and you have 15 or more Hollowing, you get +5 Luck (according to the wiki). And that Luck will scale its damage just like the rest of your Luck, so it does kinda scale with Hollowing a little.

Blaziken386 posted:

What's the point of using a luck build? Sounds sorta gimmicky.

Bleed, bleed, bleed, and more bleed. Luck amps up the rate at which you inflict status effects, and bleed is the best one. So you get yourself a Hollow weapon with innate bleed, or Anri's Straight Sword for better base damage, buff it with Carthus Rouge, and make everything bleed out.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You get bonus luck with one equipped based on your hollowing so they kinda do.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Are there any weps that do Toxic?

spaph
Dec 1, 2015

Bardeh posted:

Iretep posted:

The second bonfire could be a lazy fix to a loading issues or something. The boss door might be a point where they start loading stuff to the previous area or something and putting a bonfire on the archives side saved some loading hick ups.

Probably this. Dancer Bonfire + Castle Bonfire (while having a few enemies in between) are even closer spatially. My lovely old hard drive has massive issues with loading Castle, Road, etc from the preceding areas; the early bonfires in these areas alleviate that pain.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
What is a good cheese weapon to get through the main PvE elements of the game? And it seems like there is no point in wearing super heavy armor? Just dodge roll all day long?

spaph
Dec 1, 2015

Etrips posted:

What is a good cheese weapon to get through the main PvE elements of the game? And it seems like there is no point in wearing super heavy armor? Just dodge roll all day long?

Armor is for resists and that's it right now; go for weight efficiency as compared to absorption (think Wolf Ring builds from DaS1).

Early gg weapon is Deep Axe from Mimic on High Wall under the dragon.

net cafe scandal posted:

Are there any weps that do Toxic?

Nope. RIP Silver Tracer

spaph fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Etrips posted:

Get a Dark Sword, level Strength, make it Heavy. It's probably the strongest PvE weapon right now. Fast, very high damage.