Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Best trade routes are 2 stops, each netting >1000 per ton (ideally >2500 round trip, so if one way is crap but the other way is 2000 you're still ok). You can do more stops, but that'll be harder to find in my experience.

If you do this in something big (type 9 is very cheap for the amount of cargo it sports), and find two systems that are close enough to not require refuelling, and both stations are close enough to the sun to not spend much time in supercruise, you can make round trips in ~10 minutes. Should be getting you like 30-40m/hour. Of course, that's a shitton of things that have to align just right. I haven't found a route that good since beta (though I also haven't really been looking, but allegedly there are some). Slaves sell really well on black markets too IIRC, so maybe that's also an option, if you can handle some fines when getting scanned. And you will get scanned in a huge cargo barge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Truga posted:

Best trade routes are 2 stops, each netting >1000 per ton (ideally >2500 round trip, so if one way is crap but the other way is 2000 you're still ok). You can do more stops, but that'll be harder to find in my experience.

If you do this in something big (type 9 is very cheap for the amount of cargo it sports), and find two systems that are close enough to not require refuelling, and both stations are close enough to the sun to not spend much time in supercruise, you can make round trips in ~10 minutes. Should be getting you like 30-40m/hour. Of course, that's a shitton of things that have to align just right. I haven't found a route that good since beta (though I also haven't really been looking, but allegedly there are some). Slaves sell really well on black markets too IIRC, so maybe that's also an option, if you can handle some fines when getting scanned. And you will get scanned in a huge cargo barge.

Found a few that give +4k round trip, imp. slaves and whatnot. The trick is volume, more than anything. The bigger ships are great for this, if I had to I could use a type 9 but I'd want to kill myself so quickly.

Goatsec is actually excellent for finding good trades, lots of them in that area. Any of the tradenerds in the Diamond Frogs could probably give some very good advice on this.

LCL-Dead posted:

So there's this thing, this system, called Robigo. It's grindy and poopsocky as gently caress but it's a money printing service.

Go there in an Asp fitted for long haul (it's a 390ly+ trip as the station sits outside of the bubble) with at least 50 tons of cargo space.

Take the shadow smuggler missions that only require you to move like 3-10 pieces of cargo. Stack 1-3 of them (any more and you'll regret it later).

The catch is you have to make it to the mission drop-off locations without being scanned and for every mission you take there will be a corresponding NPC or Cop that stalks you all the way back. Be careful/wary while fuel scooping and if you can't boost away post-interdiction then log out and log back in before the scan completes.

7-10 million credits per run. Average run time, leaving the bubble, getting the missions and hitting all drop-offs, 90-120 minutes.

e: player scans count as scans too. Do it in solo/private group if you don't want to potentially lose all missions as soon as you undock from the outpost in Robigo.

Or, you can do like I did and fit half and half of fuel/cargospace, max your jump range and take as many missions as you have room for. Then just hardcore burn like hell. 30-40 mill per trip.

Of course, I was told exactly how to do this by a nice DF goon. Got myself an A-fit Anaconda in about 4 weeks.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Found a few that give +4k round trip, imp. slaves and whatnot. The trick is volume, more than anything. The bigger ships are great for this, if I had to I could use a type 9 but I'd want to kill myself so quickly.

Goatsec is actually excellent for finding good trades, lots of them in that area. Any of the tradenerds in the Diamond Frogs could probably give some very good advice on this.

Or, you can do like I did and fit half and half of fuel/cargospace, max your jump range and take as many missions as you have room for. Then just hardcore burn like hell. 30-40 mill per trip.

Of course, I was told exactly how to do this by a nice DF goon. Got myself an A-fit Anaconda in about 4 weeks.

Yeah, the no-scoop model of making the trip is viable as well. Actually cuts down on travel time too by about 20 minutes overall.

Also, 4 weeks? drat son. I used a different method (one which I am unsure of still working) to hit full Conda fit in about 4 days.

Hell, there are people in the DF who poopsocked their way up into the 10 figure range to fit Cutters and Corvettes.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

LCL-Dead posted:

Yeah, the no-scoop model of making the trip is viable as well. Actually cuts down on travel time too by about 20 minutes overall.

Also, 4 weeks? drat son. I used a different method (one which I am unsure of still working) to hit full Conda fit in about 4 days.

Hell, there are people in the DF who poopsocked their way up into the 10 figure range to fit Cutters and Corvettes.

The Robigo exploit? Yeah. It still somewhat works I think but I'm not up for gaming the system more than absolutely necessary. I completely condone it though, given the lack of game content.

Also, I can't spend the time to do that poo poo for 4 days straight. Can't even remember when I had 4 uninterrupted days of anything. I'm still shy a couple hundred mill from the 10 figure range, but I'm very happy with my conda and will be sticking to it. Unless I want the Panther clipper.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H13 posted:

Right...

So how do you make a boatload of cash with trading? I did a few runs that I found using one of the websites mentioned above and in my Asp I was making about 40k per run. Considering I could go res hunting and get about 100k per ship, this seems a bit weak. I thought trading was the quickest way to make money in the game?

I'm still having fun doing something different other than flying around asteroid fields and shooting the same ships over and over again, but I'd like to make some decent cash as well. Is trading something that only becomes really worthwhile when you have massive holds?

The only quick way to make money in this game is Robigo. Everything else ends making money at about the same rate overall, so there's no particular thing that's particularly profitable (other than Robigo). So just go with whatever you find the least boring (note that Robigo is not exempt from this, it's big money but also pretty mind-destroying).

To make money with trading, use eddb.io's loop trade tool to find the most profitable trade loop, then run it until either your head explodes from boredom or the prices explode from basically every other trader in the game also running that same route at the same time. With eddb, it shouldn't be hard to find a trade that makes you over 1,000cr per ton, and the best loop trade routes it can come up with are usually around 4,000-5000cr per ton. How much profit that makes you is up to how much internal space you have devoted to cargo and how often you get blown up.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

The Robigo exploit? Yeah. It still somewhat works I think but I'm not up for gaming the system more than absolutely necessary. I completely condone it though, given the lack of game content.

Also, I can't spend the time to do that poo poo for 4 days straight. Can't even remember when I had 4 uninterrupted days of anything. I'm still shy a couple hundred mill from the 10 figure range, but I'm very happy with my conda and will be sticking to it. Unless I want the Panther clipper.

When I say 4 days I mean a couple of hours a day for 4 days, not 4 days all day. I'm married with kids, 3-5 hours at night is lucky for me and that's only a couple of nights a week.

Overall it took me about 16 hours of poopsocking the Robigo exploit to move from roughly 100 million to having a wallet fat enough to support having a pvp FAS, a pve FDL and an exploraconda sitting at home base with enough left over for multiple rebuys of each. I'm also fairly certain that that's what burned me out. So no more of that.

Maybe next year I'll have enough for a Cutter/Corvette.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

4 weeks is nothing, it took me from December 2014 to February 2016 to get a (exploration-fit) Anaconda.

That's 14 months and I'm proud of it. :colbert:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

4 weeks is nothing, it took me from December 2014 to February 2016 to get a (exploration-fit) Anaconda.

That's 14 months and I'm proud of it. :colbert:

You're a masochist though. Wasn't most of that time spent out in the black?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

You're a masochist though. Wasn't most of that time spent out in the black?

Well, yeah. I'm out there right now, too. :v:

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Libluini posted:

Well, except for that alien stuff. That sells for enough you can make millions simply by finding a barnacle and farming it. (Just make sure to occasionally send your ship away, call it back and land again next to the barnacle. Extensive relogging can lead to weird behaviour like your ship slowly sinking into the surface until you can't exit or enter anymore.)

I found it fastest just to park next to the barnacle, get out and get your stuff, then get back in the ship and relog. Then if you can't get out of the ship on the next log, just take off about 5 feet and re-land and that will fix it.

If you send the ship away and recall it, it always lands like a loving mile away. Same thing if you relog in the jeep and not in the ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shredder posted:

I found it fastest just to park next to the barnacle, get out and get your stuff, then get back in the ship and relog. Then if you can't get out of the ship on the next log, just take off about 5 feet and re-land and that will fix it.

If you send the ship away and recall it, it always lands like a loving mile away. Same thing if you relog in the jeep and not in the ship.

Yeah, but sometimes you can get out, but not in again due to some weird rocks being in the way or something. There's nothing dumber then getting out, harvesting your barnacle and then sitting outside your ship like a dumb motherfucker.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

I thought I'd do a little video about a journey I was taking, and then got sidetracked by the scenery. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QwBD45B_F8

Probably more for the people new to the game like myself or the people who are just wondering what playing it's like. I'm enjoying just puttering about out here.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Libluini posted:

(Just make sure to occasionally send your ship away, call it back and land again next to the barnacle. Extensive relogging can lead to weird behaviour like your ship slowly sinking into the surface until you can't exit or enter anymore.)

Who said the barnacles were unarmed? :spooky:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

What about mining? I saw some new metals (probably minerals too?) in the market but can you mine them or they just drop off USS or missions? By the way, what are Distress Signals and Salvageable Wrecks? I mean how you run them, I can imagine what they are.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

froody guy posted:

What about mining? I saw some new metals (probably minerals too?) in the market but can you mine them or they just drop off USS or missions? By the way, what are Distress Signals and Salvageable Wrecks? I mean how you run them, I can imagine what they are.

Mining is great for new players, or old players that just want something new to do for a bit. I spent a couple weeks trying out mining drones for the first time (previous time I had mined was before drones were introduced, only had 65k profit from mining up to then)...it's ok. Prospector drones are basically useless imo, however. You can't find platinum or painite in USS's, and tbh if you find a shitload of gold it's a trap. Distress signals are generally a trap. Salvagable wrecks have stuff you can collect, but you generally have to race an NPC to the stuff and they might attack you for taking it.

As for those of you mentioning Robigo, are slaves something you can sell in the normal market again? Last time I was out there, they were removed from the board and you could only sell in the black market.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

froody guy posted:

Salvage-signals are easy. You drop in, you see some wreckage and sometimes stuff you can pocket. Like emergency pods in the bubble, or data caches (there's a good and a less good one) outside.

Some new metals are NPC-mined on planets, like T-something (I want to say "Thorium", but I'm not sure). You can buy them on planets. They're part of the planet-exclusive trading goods. Buy cheap on planets, sell high in space stations.

Distress signals are more complex, sometimes there are rescue ships showing up when you enter. Mostly it's a harmless ship needing help. Sometimes it's pirates and I've heard sometimes you only find a pod, like in salvage signatures.

Edit:

Using prospector drones shows you what you can find in an asteroid, so you can just ignore the ones that are worthless. Also, somehow using a prospector drone doubles the yield of the asteroid you attach it to.

With prospectors and collectors, mining is rather relaxing now.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 25, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010
IIRC prospector drones actually increase your total yield from a rock when you tag it, so they're actually pretty crucial.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES
oh snap...that is something I didn't know. So, maybe just keep a couple around until you find a decent painite source.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
They're all the same limpets so you just need to have the controller and then you can tag every rock you check out if you want. The controller can be a small crappy one too since I think it only affects range and the number you can have live at once. You only need 1 prospector live for the rock you're currently looking at. Saves time too not having to try mining out rocks with nothing but crap in them.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

timn posted:

They're all the same limpets so you just need to have the controller and then you can tag every rock you check out if you want. The controller can be a small crappy one too since I think it only affects range and the number you can have live at once. You only need 1 prospector live for the rock you're currently looking at. Saves time too not having to try mining out rocks with nothing but crap in them.

Sort of. The A-rank prospector controller basically triples your yield, so a 1A Prospector controller is really all you need. For mining cash, Pristing metallic rings outside of RES all day. 4 collectors per 2D mining laser. remember to point the belly of your ship at the rock shards after the roid is empty to speed up limpet retrieval.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

froody guy posted:

What about mining?

Mining is great. :getin:

nippythefish posted:

oh snap...that is something I didn't know. So, maybe just keep a couple around until you find a decent painite source.

Need to tag before you start mining to get the benefit, I believe. Seriously, just use prospectors: They save you time finding PPPGO and then increase the payout significantly (3-4x).

Also of note: Total payout for each rock is a separate for each player (If I mine the rock, it will give me a certain amount of fragments and then stop. If a buddy in the same instance then begins to mine that rock, it will spit out the same amount again), so cooperative mining is more than possible.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
So the higher ranks improve yield too? That's really sweet if so.

On second thought, multiple limpets with long range might be handy for quickly tagging multiple rocks at distance without spending time flying between, but that's not a big deal really.

Tikal
Nov 14, 2008

Alehkhs posted:

Mining is great. :getin:

Need to tag before you start mining to get the benefit, I believe. Seriously, just use prospectors: They save you time finding PPPGO and then increase the payout significantly (3-4x).

Also of note: Total payout for each rock is a separate for each player (If I mine the rock, it will give me a certain amount of fragments and then stop. If a buddy in the same instance then begins to mine that rock, it will spit out the same amount again), so cooperative mining is more than possible.

this gif needs to be cleaned up and it'll look peerrfecct as a loop

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
Mining is indeed very dope and relaxing. I've done over 100m in mining profit just from doing CGs. Make sure you mine within -30km of a hazres with the A prospectors to get the maximum payout. Helps to bring a mate along to dunk on enemy pirates while you mine, too!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
25 jumps to go to Robigo...

In the meantime, a mate told me about surface raids. They sound like fun and I've never done one. What's the deal there? Rock up to a random city and blow the poo poo out of it? Or are they missions?

Speaking of which, I stopped playing about 2 months ago. Back then, timed missions and the like were seriously broken. Are they still shite?

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Sundae still plays Elite? I thought you quit after the coup

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's a rumour that one of the distress signals is a crippled Cap ship.

Also, with salvageable wreckage, take a couple of shots at the rescue ships and they'll highwake out leaving you to scavenge in peace.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So there's a bounty hunting CG in Phiagre, might be worth popping over for a bit because the payouts are ridic:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Angrymog posted:

There's a rumour that one of the distress signals is a crippled Cap ship.

Also, with salvageable wreckage, take a couple of shots at the rescue ships and they'll highwake out leaving you to scavenge in peace.

I dont think it was a rumor? I remember seeing a picture or a video of a ruined capital ship with another capital ship jumping in to survey the damage. The point is that something is loving wrecking capital ships and the empire/federation know about it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H13 posted:

In the meantime, a mate told me about surface raids. They sound like fun and I've never done one. What's the deal there? Rock up to a random city and blow the poo poo out of it? Or are they missions?

Speaking of which, I stopped playing about 2 months ago. Back then, timed missions and the like were seriously broken. Are they still shite?

They're missions - sometimes you'll get a mission to do something at a surface base, like blowing up a generator or scanning something or destroying a bunch of skimmers; typically, the base will be hostile and shoot turrets at you. Some of them, like the scan ones, require you to use the SRV; most "blow poo poo up" ones can be accomplished by just bombarding the whole base with dumbfires from 3km up, since they do heavy damage to unshielded surface stuff and their splash damage radius is absurd.

Missions are still as broke as ever! They claim they'll be fixing that for 2.1, but who knows if :frontear: will get it right this time?

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Main Paineframe posted:

Missions are still as broke as ever! They claim they'll be fixing that for 2.1, but who knows if :frontear: will get it right this time?

I spent half an hour low-waking around a system checking USS for an assassination target only to have him interdict me, the system works! (Don't take those missions.)

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FiestaNinja posted:

I spent half an hour low-waking around a system checking USS for an assassination target only to have him interdict me, the system works! (Don't take those missions.)

For the few assassination missions I've taken I usually sit at zero throttle in SC and scan the NPC ships as they enter SC and begin to move around. There's only been one instance where my intended target didn't show up within about 5-10 minutes.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop

Urthor posted:

Sundae still plays Elite? I thought you quit after the coup

I was rehired as an independent consultant at 3x my previous salary plus bonus.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fishreds99 posted:

I was rehired as an independent consultant at 3x my previous salary plus bonus.

9 tons of biowaste is incredibly cheap though, even with the 2 tons of sexbots that you get as a bonus.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop

LCL-Dead posted:

9 tons of biowaste is incredibly cheap though, even with the 2 tons of sexbots that you get as a bonus.

Yeah but with a 10t incentive of CD-75 Kitten Brand Coffee per pvp league win, vesting on the calendar year 3305.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

H13 posted:

Oh Robigo. It's like my real job. Travel a goddamn long way from home, make a bunch of money over a week, travel back home, repeat.

On Surface raids: Their missions you can get to do strafing runs on bases. They don't pay half bad, are fairly fun, and are a decent way to grind Empire/Alliance rep at specific systems (Gabri for Federation, Cubeo for Empire)

Basically, you accept missions to destroy drones, big drones, AA batteries, and generators, and any data retrieval missions for the same base (i.e. on Gabri, you'll be taking missions against Brunel Relay), savescumming up a big pile of mission (I usually get between 20-30 in 20 minutes). Then you go blow the hell out of the base with strafing runs, land on the pad, take your SRV out to go scan the network node, then go back and turn your missions in. Pretty simple, and can be done easily in an AspEx, makes between 5-10 mil an hour depending on ranks/scumluck, but it also increases your rep if the main faction(s) are aligned.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Having just started playing this, a mission to find someone and kill them is hugely frustrating. They're spouting off nonsense in local chat occasionally. I've flown around the system a bit, nothing. (The one previous kill mission I had I was somehow pulled from supercruise by the target while alt-tabbed trying to discover how to find targets).
I'm sitting by a nav beacon getting increasingly bored. Watching (players (maybe?) and NPCs occasionally float past. Should I be looking at ships in cockpit view or just staring at the contacts list to see if the target appears?

They're not making it very enticing for newbies to keep playing...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Clarence posted:

Having just started playing this, a mission to find someone and kill them is hugely frustrating. They're spouting off nonsense in local chat occasionally. I've flown around the system a bit, nothing. (The one previous kill mission I had I was somehow pulled from supercruise by the target while alt-tabbed trying to discover how to find targets).
I'm sitting by a nav beacon getting increasingly bored. Watching (players (maybe?) and NPCs occasionally float past. Should I be looking at ships in cockpit view or just staring at the contacts list to see if the target appears?

They're not making it very enticing for newbies to keep playing...

You'll generally find them pretty fast by staying in supercruise, checking out contacts and then interdicting them once you find the lucky winner.

Try unidentified signal sources as your first points of investigation if you can't find them floating about in the system.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

DancingShade posted:

You'll generally find them pretty fast by staying in supercruise, checking out contacts and then interdicting them once you find the lucky winner.

Try unidentified signal sources as your first points of investigation if you can't find them floating about in the system.

To add to this, while slowly supercruising around, lock on to and look at all ships you can see until it shows you their name. There's a lot in this game that isn't directly pointed out that makes things go much better once you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
You don't need an interdicter for assassination missions, incidentally. If you just tail the target in supercruise long enough, they'll eventually drop out on their own, leaving a wake you can target and drop to. Also, those missions are dumb, don't take them.

• Locked thread