Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sure, I'll learn a little Chinese. Do you want to get classes together? All you had to do was ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
friendly reminder that pandemonium speaks mediocre chinese at best, was an english teacher for 5 years, and now makes english worksheets for a living

"Literally a thousand words about not caring" is somewhere in the last two pages, surely

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

this is a stickup posted:

friendly reminder that pandemonium speaks mediocre chinese at best, was an english teacher for 5 years, and now makes english worksheets for a living

Yeah, only thing true there is the middle part. We all have to serve our dues, though, you know?

Perhaps you'd like to pick up my newest book at Eslite or Caves? It's meant for a Taiwanese audience, but it's a bilingual book, so you might find it will help you with your Chinese. That is assuming you can read Chinese. It's over six hundred pages, by the way. Not a small undertaking at all.

And lol at you being so certain of my Chinese ability--speaking no less!--based on internet posts. 太棒了太棒了,你真厲害。

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
something something boy howdy, esl leeches! good grief!

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
someone 灌水器 "i write for a living" tia

also this:

Pandemonium posted:

Confession time: I really care what you guys think, and each snide, snark-ridden post ups my angst.

has to count for at least "I'm fine being the pariah" if not the essence of passive-aggressive posting

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
*smacks head*

*rolls eyes*

confession time, boys!

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Haha, how did you not get that I was trying to win the game? I got a bingo with that post, dammit!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Haha, how did you not get that I was trying to win the game? I got a bingo with that post, dammit!
i expected a more spectacular meltdown for chernobyl's 30th tbh, up your game

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

there was a poster had a dog
and bingo was his name-o

was

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

How does one man manage to post so badly, so consistently?

Like, I knew what I was getting into when I saw 150+ unread posts.

So Much Ponies
Dec 12, 2005

zoom zoom

YF19pilot posted:

Cats need running space. So, either wait until you get a bigger apartment, or get used to having the cats wake you up in the middle of the night as they run from one end of your apartment to the other. If an apartment is big enough for one cat, it's big enough for two (always get two cats if you can, because they can keep each other company).

e: Your apartment is too small.
Finally, catchat. What if you have two cats and they hate each other? what's a reasonable time to give them to get along?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pandemonium posted:

Perhaps you'd like to pick up my newest book at Eslite or Caves? It's meant for a Taiwanese audience, but it's a bilingual book,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeeMa1g9KRg

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

khysanth posted:

How does one man manage to post so badly, so consistently?

when you come to Taipei (lol) and you're trying to steal everyone's jobs (and no doubt the hunnys) then I guess even my shtposting is on the radar and under threat

e:

I had a colleague email me at 11:30 PM to suggest that a word might not be English, and could I check if the UI in question was English, rather than admit he overlooked stuff. I raised the issue in the afternoon, and was quite firm about it. How is CC'g more people into the chain to try and save face ever going to work in that scenario.

e2:

a guy in CA just ditched his bike in fairly impressive fashion (he & fiancee are alive).
the thing is, he ran into a big black lab. The lab died.

is it morally wrong to not eat the dog knowing there are hungry immigrants that would benefit from the protein?

url fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 27, 2016

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Anyone else not surprised at all by the shuttering of Thinking Taiwan, the news source that was funded directly by a presidential candidate?

*expecting people in this thread to be uncritical DPP mouthpieces because clearly KMT are the bad guys so DPP must be angels*

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

So Much Ponies posted:

Finally, catchat. What if you have two cats and they hate each other? what's a reasonable time to give them to get along?

The best recommendation is, if you don't already have cats, adopt two cats that are already friendly. Generally this means (if you're going to buy kittens) getting two from the same litter, or (if you're an awesome person who is going to adopt shelter cats) observe the cats and look for two that are already chummy.

If you already have one cat and want to get another cat, usually it's best if the second cat is the opposite sex. If not, that's okay, it just might take longer.

I'm not the most expert goon on introducing two stranger cats, this is just what I know off the top of my head. Seriously, go check out the Cat Megathread in Pet Island (assuming it's still there). How long it takes for two cats to get used to each other depends on their personalities. You could introduce them and they'll like each other right away, or it can take a month or longer. Yet some cats will never get along. It really depends on the cat. It helps if you already know both cats' personalities, so you can tell the difference between some of the actions I'm about to describe. Introductions go like this:

1) put the two together, preferably in your largest room. DO NOT BLOCK THE EXITS. Seriously, if one of the cats wants to run away, you need to let them. Otherwise they might feel pressured into fighting the other cat. One of these will happen:
--> the two cats are all lovey dovey. Awesome! You can now keep them together no problem.
--> the two cats mostly ignore each other. Unlikely, but you can keep them together, just keep an eye on them in case they start fighting.
--> the two cats will most likely growl, hiss, or even bat at each other. One of them might run away. This is okay.
--> if the two cats start fighting, like actual fighting, separate immediately.

2) If the last two things happen, here's what to do next.
--> a) If they just did a little growl, hiss and walked away, then it's okay to keep them together, just keep an eye on them, especially around eating time. If things escalate, separate.
--> b) If they keep staring each other down, or if one of them ran and hid, then separate.
--> c) Obviously, if they fight, separate.

3) Separation is the hardest thing to do because keeping a cat cooped up is not good for a cat. But here's how it works:
--> Pick two rooms (with doors), one for each cat. Preferably a bigger room for the second cat, as it's probably going to spend more time locked up than the first cat.
--> The first cat gets rule of the roost. They were here first. The second cat gets locked in the room.
--> Multiple times a day, switch. Put the first cat in it's room and let the second cat roam around for at least an hour. What you're trying to do is get the cats used to each other's scent without necessarily having to get used to each other. Cats are more accepting of each other if they think their scent is a normal part of their life and environment.
--> At least once a day, have the two cats out together, just like in step 1. If they were fighting before, it might be best for you and [other person] to hold the cats (there is a proper way to do this) and the moment it looks like they'll fight, separate. Just again, a little bit of soft batting is okay, but not full out claws and biting.

Generally, it'll take about a week of doing this, but be prepared for longer (especially if they were fighting). If after a month the two are still at each other's throats trying to fight each other, then you're just going to have to face it that to keep both cats you're going to have to keep them separated. Just, whatever you do, don't keep one cat locked up in a room 24/7. You still need to do the switching around, and you need to spend time with both cats, as cats are social animals, and being by themselves can create cat anxiety issues.

To give an example, I had two cats growing up (one male, one female). When my parents separated, my dad kept the two, and my mom got another cat (somewhat at my behest). My mom's cat would get along perfectly with the male, but would not get along with the female. They wouldn't fight, but my mom's cat would go and hide perched up somewhere, constantly growling. If I was going to keep the two together long term, I would have to do the separation; but it shouldn't take more than a week, hopefully. That my mom's cat got along with the male right away means I wouldn't have to separate.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 27, 2016

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

Anyone else not surprised at all by the shuttering of Thinking Taiwan, the news source that was funded directly by a presidential candidate?

*expecting people in this thread to be uncritical DPP mouthpieces because clearly KMT are the bad guys so DPP must be angels*

There's another one, according to A View from Taiwan, closing too (the guy who spams the poo poo out of anything FB & .tw). He has volunteered to help, but, honestly when news is that unbalanced, I have a hard time stomaching it. I'm not sad to see any or all of it go.

url fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 27, 2016

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

Perhaps you'd like to pick up my newest book at Eslite or Caves? It's meant for a Taiwanese audience, but it's a bilingual book, so you might find it will help you with your Chinese. That is assuming you can read Chinese. It's over six hundred pages, by the way. Not a small undertaking at all.

So should I just look for the most poorly written book there or have you grown a pair since the last time you refused to offer up any examples of your work?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yo someone stamp "this thread" on the bingo card pls. tia.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Good morning. If 晚課 is not enough, here's the morning session

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDLJ-6IUI-s

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

So should I just look for the most poorly written book there or have you grown a pair since the last time you refused to offer up any examples of your work?

Why in the world would I do that? Why don't you post a sample of your teaching at Hess or Joy where ever it is you work?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

poo poo, there's no bingo square for tepidly "burning" English teachers

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pandemonium posted:

Why in the world would I do that? Why don't you post a sample of your teaching at Hess or Joy where ever it is you work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbxgY8BquHY

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Pandemonium posted:

You post about your alleged books every chance you get, but backpedal.avi

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

So how the gently caress exactly did you expect us to find that book at caves or whatever dumb poo poo you're talking about? Does it hurt to be so insecure?

I made a webpage for the tuvalu embassy. You can find it here:

http://www.tuvaluembassyroc.org/

We also did a web series about Tuvalu, although it's not very good, since we had no budget, but I'm not afraid to post even lovely work! I had a lot of fun doing it! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ghuRLLHGA

Your turn.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

this is a stickup posted:

You post about your alleged books every chance you get, but backpedal.avi
Just because you asked (and because it continues to rule):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubU-dB8B-94

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pandemonium posted:

I actually could, last year I was in a news segment.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 8, 2021

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/1AeetxB.jpg

I'm working here right now. I'll upload a pic of my book later when I get home.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

FYI that "look where I work" stuff continues to not make you special

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

You'll post nothing because you are nothing.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

drat. I can feel the jealousy seething its way through the internet. Relax there, fellas.

Don't remember posting any shots of where I go to work before. Maybe I did...I'm sure one of you sperglords has a note and can remind me.

In the meantime, enjoy this panoramic photo I took at the top of guanyin mountain. I can get to the trailhead from my place in like fifteen minutes. Another perk to Bali living.

http://i.imgur.com/oFLEBJd.jpg

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

http://i.imgur.com/1AeetxB.jpg

I'm working here right now. I'll upload a pic of my book later when I get home.

Nice view! I'm all the way in town on the red line but I'm up near the Beitou area often enough. Let me know if you want to hang out and get a coffee or a beer.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

This is honestly the first time I've seen someone get elitist over living in Bali. Muzha (for some reason) a couple of times, but never Bali.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I'll post a pic of the view from my apartment later. If you think I live in the middle of Bali or by that water park, you're sorely mistaken.

In fact, how about we all post pics of the view from our respective apartment's windows? That sounds like fun!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

have you ever posted anything that wasn't an at most thinly veiled attempt to boost your own ego?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That just looks like the view of every place that isn't downtown Taipei. I mean it's a nice view, don't get me wrong, but I had basically the same in 三峽 for years, and a three bed / 2 bath apartment (with a tub!) that was rent free. I could also walk to work, bbq on the river next to my place, and get stinking drunk at a variety of places with my Taiwanese buddies.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

In this thread? Probably not. But why would I? Where's the fun in that?

Edit: sanxia is super nice, yeah. But you gotta be kidding me if you think you can get views like this in banqiao, zhonghe, yonghe, sanchong, or luzhou. Really anywhere other than sanxia (mountains) and danshui/bali (mountains and/or river + ocean). Talk about overpriced shitholes!

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 27, 2016

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Best thing about Bali is that you're effectively far away from anyone who matters. It really is the best!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

In this thread? Probably not. But why would I? Where's the fun in that?

Edit: sanxia is super nice, yeah. But you gotta be kidding me if you think you can get views like this in banqiao, zhonghe, yonghe, sanchong, or luzhou. Really anywhere other than sanxia (mountains) and danshui/bali (mountains and/or river + ocean). Talk about overpriced shitholes!

The mountains may not be immediately accessible if you're in the Banqiao area, but you can still see them and there's a big rear end river that runs alongside the town that has loads of apartments overlooking it.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

anyone who matters.

Bro, you can't be that conceited, can you? "Anyone who matters"? Lol, guess those folks over at Asus' headquarters ten minutes from my place "don't matter". Oh, that new Costco is there, too.

Or did you mean no goons live out this way? If so, hahahahaha *dies of laughter*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Pandemonium posted:

In fact, how about we all post pics of the view from our respective apartment's windows? That sounds like fun!

i have no reservations about the fact that i live in a crummy part of town & i don't derive my happiness from material wealth lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!