Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Eh, I can see it. If you're in a shop with four people, one of whom is on a six-month/365 but still counts against your manning, and one of whom is currently in jail for rape/battery and not getting out any time soon, and one who is the rapee's spouse, you can't exactly dump all our rapist's work on the last guy because the other dude doesn't want to deal with it. Yeah, it was "his" (the rapist's) work, but the shop tasks have nothing to do with him and still need to get done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Per 36-2618, the enlisted force structure AFI, "NCOs have the authority to issue lawful orders appropriate for the completion of their assigned tasks."

Trying to create a distinction between a "direct order" and a "lawful order" is pointless, because all orders must be lawful to be enforceable. If an officer issues a "direct order" that's known to be unlawful, their subordinates are obligated to disobey. G-series orders establish the top dog in the local chain of command, but the UCMJ doesn't distinguish when it comes to disobeying orders.

As an NCO in a comm maintenance shop, I can absolutely issue orders to my airmen in order to complete our mission, within reason. If I say, "Airman Snuffy, go grab Col Dingus' computer and troubleshoot his connectivity issues," that would be a completely lawful order, and my airman would be in violation of articles 91 and 92 of the UCMJ if he refused to do it. While it's only been an issue at my squadron once, I have seen an airman get an Article 15 - ultimately resulting in an OTH discharge - for disobeying that kind of order.

On the other hand, if I told one of my airmen to come to my house and wash my car, he could and should take it up the chain to get me lit up by leadership.

That's in a completely ideal work environment. Obviously, anyone who would order a dude to do his wife's rapist's job is a huge piece of poo poo. Unless WWIII kicks off and bombs are exploding, it can wait until someone figures out a workaround.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Reckoning posted:

Eh, I can see it. If you're in a shop with four people, one of whom is on a six-month/365 but still counts against your manning, and one of whom is currently in jail for rape/battery and not getting out any time soon, and one who is the rapee's spouse, you can't exactly dump all our rapist's work on the last guy because the other dude doesn't want to deal with it. Yeah, it was "his" (the rapist's) work, but the shop tasks have nothing to do with him and still need to get done.

Lets be honest though a shop that small probably has a lot of what is really supposed to be their job being done by other agencies anyway because their response time with whatever product they generate is too freaking long. I guess unless it's an MDG unit but then why would working on someone else's lab results or whatever matter.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Failed my course 15 set B test today.

:feelsgood:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
How is that possible with the poorly developed, rushed to market, badly implemented PME?

It must be your lack of motivation to stay in God's own air force.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's true, I do have a lack of motivation to stay in God's greatest Air Force.

I must be retarded since I failed. Of course I'm retarded, I enlisted. And then re-enlisted.

I'm not even exaggerating though, I have a colossal amount of don't give a gently caress about it. I missed it by one question so I'm pretty sure I can luck into it for the next test. Otherwise oh nooo I guess I'll have to re-enroll. I'm sure as gently caress not going to review the book.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

dscruffy1 posted:

Failed my course 15 set B test today.

:feelsgood:

But facebook told me everyone can pass it without studying, so it's not a big deal.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So to follow up on my frustrations with Commanders and motorcycle safety, literally two days later:

http://www.enidnews.com/news/vance-airman-dies-in-weekend-accident/article_0bc4271c-0b04-11e6-8b89-77c79a55d31c.html

RIP. It's incredibly frustrating that the AF has wrapped it's mind around slow speed training in a parking lot, I believe with proper training this accident could have been prevented.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 26, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I have a slightly different take, in that I don't think it's the AF's business to train people to ride a motorcycle.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

I have a slightly different take, in that I don't think it's the AF's business to train people to ride a motorcycle.

They should probably just straight up not let anyone ride motorcycles. But then again you have people having stupid poo poo happen like fall off of precariously stacked boxes and break a wrist because their supervisor told them to get it done so maybe motorcycle injury is just a drop in the bucket of retarded enlisted hurting themselves

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

dscruffy1 posted:

It's true, I do have a lack of motivation to stay in God's greatest Air Force.

I must be retarded since I failed. Of course I'm retarded, I enlisted. And then re-enlisted.

I'm not even exaggerating though, I have a colossal amount of don't give a gently caress about it. I missed it by one question so I'm pretty sure I can luck into it for the next test. Otherwise oh nooo I guess I'll have to re-enroll. I'm sure as gently caress not going to review the book.

I just tested a guy on his Course 15B today who failed by one question. If you turn out to be the dude down the hall from me I'm about to be weirded out.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Wild T posted:

I just tested a guy on his Course 15B today who failed by one question. If you turn out to be the dude down the hall from me I'm about to be weirded out.

Unless you're from Little Rock and we've had long discussions about how you have first world problems and probably have to worry about Estate taxes, you're probably fine.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

xaarman posted:

So to follow up on my frustrations with Commanders and motorcycle safety, literally two days later:

http://www.enidnews.com/news/vance-airman-dies-in-weekend-accident/article_0bc4271c-0b04-11e6-8b89-77c79a55d31c.html

RIP. It's incredibly frustrating that the AF has wrapped it's mind around slow speed training in a parking lot, I believe with proper training this accident could have been prevented.

A CBT is currently in development.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm unconvinced that motorcyclists speeding is a training issue.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Godholio posted:

I'll give it to Seymour Johnson, we have to do the motorcycle training that is required by that stupid rear end website but that is all the AF is involved with our training. I just did my 1 year training and it was the the local motorcycle cops, they came in and did a great slide show presentation with a ton of useful information. Then we paired up with 1 cop per 2 students and went on a 30 minute ride, took a break for lunch and covered some skills to work on the cops noticed during the ride and then we finished the day with a hour ride.

Riding with the cops is awesome, speed limits are suggestions so are stop signs and just about any other rule to keep the group together for safety, over all the training was very well done and I picked up a few new skills to work on.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Either a maturity issue, or poor throttle management, which is a training issue. It is not the job of the air force to teach you to drive.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Buca di Bepis posted:

I'm unconvinced that motorcyclists speeding is a training issue.

I disagree. Track days are where you learn the skills required. Riders get to practice emergency braking (which is normal braking on a track), lean, body position, looking through the turn, riding to your own pace, etc. These skills translate directly to the street - 3/4 AETC deaths this year are failure to negotiate a turn properly.

My street skills are exponentially better on the street because of my on-track experience, and have also calmed me down because the street can't compare to a track. Before, when I saw an on/off ramp, I would pretend to be Valentino Rossi. Now, I don't even bother because it doesn't compare to the perfect pavement that a closed road course offers.

Godholio posted:

We need to provide some training to the dumbass A1C who can spend $2000 and buy a vehicle with similar performance of a Ferrari. I never knew how to ride until I took the Basic Riders Course (pre-AF but identical course.) If you already know how to ride, I, as the unit Motorcycle Safety Rep, have the commander sign a memo saying you can ride before taking the course "eventually".

My problem was with the last revision of the 91-207, it requires much more recurrent (useless) beyond the above and Commander's idle threats of "hey, don't speed OR WE'LL TAKE AWAY ALL YOUR BENEFITS"

Give riders a place to take their bike to the limits, and they will never want to do it on the street again.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 26, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

At best, that's a function that should be privatized. Not loving gate guards, which I recently discovered is still a thing somehow.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What? We heave SPs still on or gates .

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lite_sleepr posted:

What? We heave SPs still on or gates .

Yeah, Tinker got rid of them while I was still in (and I thought the AF as a whole was going that route) but I was at Hill a couple of weeks ago and there were non-uniforms working the gate.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
You don't need to go to a goddamn track day to learn to ride safely. Just because you were a immature dumbass trying to race sportbikes on public streets and needed a track to calm down, doesn't mean everyone else is.

Second, the military probably shouldn't be involved in it, but it's the military and you have no actual rights, only the illusion of rights.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
The military is dumb and gay.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/743009/goldfein-nominated-as-21st-csaf.aspx

Lead us into the next century of airpower dominance o wise one!

BULLETKISS fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 27, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

lite_sleepr posted:

The military is dumb and gay.

I feel it's gay and dumb, but I respect your opinion.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

xaarman posted:

I disagree. Track days are where you learn the skills required. Riders get to practice emergency braking (which is normal braking on a track), lean, body position, looking through the turn, riding to your own pace, etc. These skills translate directly to the street - 3/4 AETC deaths this year are failure to negotiate a turn properly.

My street skills are exponentially better on the street because of my on-track experience, and have also calmed me down because the street can't compare to a track. Before, when I saw an on/off ramp, I would pretend to be Valentino Rossi. Now, I don't even bother because it doesn't compare to the perfect pavement that a closed road course offers.

We need to provide some training to the dumbass A1C who can spend $2000 and buy a vehicle with similar performance of a Ferrari. I never knew how to ride until I took the Basic Riders Course (pre-AF but identical course.) If you already know how to ride, I, as the unit Motorcycle Safety Rep, have the commander sign a memo saying you can ride before taking the course "eventually".

My problem was with the last revision of the 91-207, it requires much more recurrent (useless) beyond the above and Commander's idle threats of "hey, don't speed OR WE'LL TAKE AWAY ALL YOUR BENEFITS"

Give riders a place to take their bike to the limits, and they will never want to do it on the street again.

We have completely different experiences when it comes to motorcycles and tracks.

Frankly the limit to the military involvement should be A - do you have a motorcycle license/endorsement and B - reasonable safety equipment (helmet, over the ankle boots, reflective material for night driving). They don't, or at least didn't require people to take a new driving course when Airman Dipshit spent his enlistment bonus on a brand new Mustang GT, which they have no understanding on how to drive and will eventually wrap around a tree because throttle management on wet pavement is "for pussies". Dumbasses will get themselves hurt/killed regardless of regulations. Natural Selection has a way of winning out. Its time the military stopped interfering.

Also, what tracks have you been on that had pavement resembling, in anyway, perfect? Most tracks I have been on had the integrity of a farm access road in Pennsylvania.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Seems relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HmxPntzYQM

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nah.. This is more accurate.

AntennaGeek
May 30, 2011

Godholio posted:

Yeah, Tinker got rid of them while I was still in (and I thought the AF as a whole was going that route) but I was at Hill a couple of weeks ago and there were non-uniforms working the gate.

We've got a mix at Wright-Patt. Didn't stop this, though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

At best, that's a function that should be privatized. Not loving gate guards, which I recently discovered is still a thing somehow.

Travis has an extremely significant portion of the SFS guards being civilians in creepy black uniforms instead of airmen. I don't know the exact numbers but it seemed like at least 20-40% of a day's shift would be civilians. But I guess you meant like a contracting company like Universal Protection Service or something. Those guys are federal employees at least.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

Travis has an extremely significant portion of the SFS guards being civilians in creepy black uniforms instead of airmen. I don't know the exact numbers but it seemed like at least 20-40% of a day's shift would be civilians. But I guess you meant like a contracting company like Universal Protection Service or something. Those guys are federal employees at least.

Laughing that a security company had the same initials as UPS, I googled them.

:catstare: the individual guards in that company are electronically monitored by GPS at all times while on the job.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah Hill's guys were dressed like background soldiers in a lovely action movie too.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So our quarterly awards ceremony was in civvies, outside... some random SrA MC's and gives out the awards, then the group CC gives us a cool speech about improvements for facilities and the mission and poo poo and I liked what he had to say, then they let us loose at our morale event.

The morale event was yardwork.

Landscaping. Mowing lawns. Spreading mulch. I pruned a tree. There was food after but my flight chief let me go a little early cause I work nights, but other people who also work nights had to stay for the whole thing. Dude woulda let me go earlier too if I'd asked, but I just assumed that asking to go means I have to stay longer, and I was going off what other people had said they were told to do so I missed what he he'd had to say.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 27, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
One of our in house training (lol) sessions was volunteer yardwork at our golf course on base. We did things like clearing flower beds, raked leaves and sticks, and replaced old golf flags.

I got to zip around in a 6 wheeled Gator and do donuts in a sand trap. After, we got a free round of 'foot golf.' I actually enjoyed the yardwork because it was a nice day and gently caress being a personnelist forever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

rentacop gate guards should salute all military imo

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Godholio posted:

Rentacop gate guards are - and always will be - a thing overseas. In Germany, I was always horrified to visit Pulaski Barracks. The Air Force side of the post, Kapaun Air Station, was guarded by security forces.

The Army side got these guys.

http://www.stripes.com/news/69-million-keeps-guards-at-army-gates-in-germany-1.284090

$69 million for six months. It was always cool when they had to chase down someone they mistakenly waved through the gate.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Genocide Tendency posted:

We have completely different experiences when it comes to motorcycles and tracks.

Frankly the limit to the military involvement should be A - do you have a motorcycle license/endorsement and B - reasonable safety equipment (helmet, over the ankle boots, reflective material for night driving). They don't, or at least didn't require people to take a new driving course when Airman Dipshit spent his enlistment bonus on a brand new Mustang GT, which they have no understanding on how to drive and will eventually wrap around a tree because throttle management on wet pavement is "for pussies". Dumbasses will get themselves hurt/killed regardless of regulations. Natural Selection has a way of winning out. Its time the military stopped interfering.

Also, what tracks have you been on that had pavement resembling, in anyway, perfect? Most tracks I have been on had the integrity of a farm access road in Pennsylvania.

I don't have statistics to back up GT vs Motorcycle accidents, but I'm willing to bet that if one does get in an accident, the damage will be much worse if they are on a motorcycle. I don't blame the USAF for instituting mandatory motorcycle training, I do blame the methods that the AF has chosen.

As for tracks, I've regularly been to Raceland Park of the Midlands (formerly MAM and very rough track), Motorsports Park Hastings (very high quality track), Harris Hill Raceway (middle of the road), Hallett Motor Racing Circuit (before and after repaving, much better!) and Heartland Park Topeka (high quality fast track.) I am planning on doing COTA later this summer, which I assume, will surpass all of them.

That being said, I meant perfect pavement like a location, as in controlled access, no curbs, telephone poles, soccer moms in suburbans, uncleaned oil spills, everyone going the same direction, runoff areas in every turn, EMS on location, etc.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

Dude dont even get me loving started on this poo poo. loving the fat gently caress civilians complained to heir god drat union enough that they weren't getting enough law enforcement patrols even though they are a certified federal law enforcement officers. Enough loving bitching and crying about everyone leaving the contract and soon enough a majority of the patrols go to those stupid fucks. I signed up to be a cop and I know its loving security forces but when you get back from Iraq and its nothing but loving fat civilian even more pretend cop than me looking like the gay bartender from that snowboarding movie rear end in my patrol car, gently caress that poo poo.

DAF guard is what we called them. We had one in the pass and id officer and I would steal his candy bars from his lunch all the loving time. gently caress those guys.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Arc Light posted:

Rentacop gate guards are - and always will be - a thing overseas. In Germany, I was always horrified to visit Pulaski Barracks. The Air Force side of the post, Kapaun Air Station, was guarded by security forces.

http://www.stripes.com/news/69-million-keeps-guards-at-army-gates-in-germany-1.284090

$69 million for six months. It was always cool when they had to chase down someone they mistakenly waved through the gate.

They're still doing gate duty at Army entrances :v:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Arc Light posted:

Kapun and Pulaski uses Ponds, yea. All local nationals issued guns that fell off a soviet era truck heading to a soviet bloc country in 1984.

The Sheriff Jake posted:

Dude dont even get me loving started on this poo poo. loving the fat gently caress civilians complained to heir god drat union enough that they weren't getting enough law enforcement patrols even though they are a certified federal law enforcement officers. Enough loving bitching and crying about everyone leaving the contract and soon enough a majority of the patrols go to those stupid fucks. I signed up to be a cop and I know its loving security forces but when you get back from Iraq and its nothing but loving fat civilian even more pretend cop than me looking like the gay bartender from that snowboarding movie rear end in my patrol car, gently caress that poo poo.

DAF guard is what we called them. We had one in the pass and id officer and I would steal his candy bars from his lunch all the loving time. gently caress those guys.

:stare:

Are you having thoughts of hurting yourself or others? I have to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Y'all have strong feelings about who gets to pretend to scan a barcode at the gate

• Locked thread