Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

pnutz posted:

some more stuff from the voice actors :orks101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6IUbraF9Oo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVqAVwOBsCA

also the fine brothers are now being trolled by game developers :v:

Goblin Shaman reacts is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Greenskinz iz da best! :orks101:

Also, are people really still pissing and moaning about Denuvo?

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 26, 2016

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Goblin Shaman reacts is great

We'll devour you mate!

That's too good.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Now that someone mentioned Tomb Kings, what are the odds they'll be full expansion or minor DLC - and will there be SETTRA DOES NOT KNEEL loving poo poo up?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Judging by the map the only factions that seem to be around Tomb Kings area (the Land of the Dead) are the Tomb Kings themselves and Araby. So they'd just need to push the existing map south a ways, add desert terrain, and maybe make a couple units to give Araby a unique look. It'd be cool if they could add them as a DLC race, but it's still a lot more work than just fleshing out Bretonnia or some other race that's already hanging out in the Old World.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

GuyUpNorth posted:

Now that someone mentioned Tomb Kings, what are the odds they'll be full expansion or minor DLC - and will there be SETTRA DOES NOT KNEEL loving poo poo up?

They have said they want to release another 2 standalone Warhammer games over the next 3 years that will then all link up in addition to all the DLC and FLC. Additionally they have said they wanted to eventually include every faction that had an army book. So between the two statements, and the fact that tombkings are off on their own geographically, I would suspect we will get them as part of a major release a few years from now.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Is Green Man Gaming still offering the game with a discount?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Rygar201 posted:

Wasn't WHFB fairly profitable, just not as profitable as they wanted?

It was, then they killed it, released age of sigmar, and now according to good sources that's doing absolutely terrible.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Olive Branch posted:

Is Green Man Gaming still offering the game with a discount?

No they appear to have run out of cheaper codes. CDKeys.com are the only ones still doing it at a discount if you're willing to trust them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tomn posted:

You know what I bet would be successful? If Disney stopped making Star Wars movies or selling Star Wars merch but instead relied entirely on licensing fees from Star Wars video games. No costs, pure profit, surely this would make them more money than they've ever made before!

Warhammer Fantasy miniatures didn't make much money. They had a huge line to maintain and stock and most of it sold sod all. Binning a 20 year old Knight Errant mould instead of making a new one is a net win for GW.

Star Wars movies - afaik - sell more cinema tickets than copies of Battlefront III or whatever is out these days. Even then the property has gone through long periods of no films and lots of games in the past, keeping Lucas fat and satisfied while he pursued passion projects like that movie about black fighter pilots, and his new wife.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They're gonna piss away the huge Total War profits trying to revive The Lord of the Rings and the twelve people in the world that still care about it will be chuffed.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm one of those twelve, it was pretty good. I had fun with my little goblin mob.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It was good and they made so much money off it they overdeveloped their distribution infrastructure to the point that it almost killed the company when the movies stopped and interest disappeared.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

sassassin posted:

Warhammer Fantasy miniatures didn't make much money. They had a huge line to maintain and stock and most of it sold sod all. Binning a 20 year old Knight Errant mould instead of making a new one is a net win for GW.

So are you actively asserting that Warhammer Fantasy was literally unprofitable and/or on the verge of becoming outright unprofitable? Because that's the only scenario where "it costs a lot" matters - if it WAS profitable then it doesn't actually cost them anything to keep it going and in fact makes extra money for them over time and stands to gain more when the video game ties in.

I mean, you COULD argue they needed to free up money for their hot new Age of Sigmar franchise, but lol if you want to argue that was a smart move.

If you are arguing that Warhammer Fantasy was straight up unprofitable, BTW, I'd love to see your source.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I wish the game would come out so people would quit posting this boring bullshit

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The profitable parts of Warhammer Fantasy are still in production.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Speaking of LOTR, that interview I posted a few days ago with the horrible proof-reading really made it sound like CA wanted to continue doing fantasy games after Warhammer. LOTR is an obvious get, but I have to wonder what other fantasy series they've been trying to get deals for behind the scenes.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xn03XC4Gpg

Here's an interview video. Audio is kinda jacked though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

madmac posted:

Speaking of LOTR, that interview I posted a few days ago with the horrible proof-reading really made it sound like CA wanted to continue doing fantasy games after Warhammer. LOTR is an obvious get, but I have to wonder what other fantasy series they've been trying to get deals for behind the scenes.

Game of Thrones, maybe?

Agent Overflow, The Game.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Game of thrones would be a real poo poo Total War game since it's practically Medieval 2 with different names anyways and CA would be the worst company in the world to try to capture what's appealing about it

Besides, the best GoT game has already been made, CK2

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I talked to my friend who works at a comic store and he says that Fantasy just didn't sell well. It made barely any money did GW so it came as a surprise to no-one when they killed the line.

The real shocker was when they announced Age of Sigmar.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Fans posted:

No they appear to have run out of cheaper codes. CDKeys.com are the only ones still doing it at a discount if you're willing to trust them.
Well, the April code on their front page for 20% off applies to Total War Warhammer. Refunded my Steam purchase and picked this other one up for cheaper.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I talked to my friend who works at a comic store and he says that Fantasy just didn't sell well. It made barely any money did GW so it came as a surprise to no-one when they killed the line.

The real shocker was when they announced Age of Sigmar.

Cool anecdote bro. My local shops have all had thriving fantasy scenes, interestingly enough.

GW is bad.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Luminous Cow posted:

I wish the game would come out so people would quit posting this boring bullshit

:ironicat:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xn03XC4Gpg

Here's an interview video. Audio is kinda jacked though.

Not too much new, but interesting that you DO build "different kinds of Naval units", just that there's no tactical map or battles. I wonder if that means you are building various ship types, aside from "Combat Ship" and "Transport Ship".

Granted the only two factions that NEED ships in this installment will be Bretonnia and the Empire for launching preemptive raids into Norsca but the variety would be nice.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Tomn posted:

So are you actively asserting that Warhammer Fantasy was literally unprofitable and/or on the verge of becoming outright unprofitable? Because that's the only scenario where "it costs a lot" matters - if it WAS profitable then it doesn't actually cost them anything to keep it going and in fact makes extra money for them over time and stands to gain more when the video game ties in.

I mean, you COULD argue they needed to free up money for their hot new Age of Sigmar franchise, but lol if you want to argue that was a smart move.

If you are arguing that Warhammer Fantasy was straight up unprofitable, BTW, I'd love to see your source.

this is not at all how business works. if you have infrastructure that you are using for a product that is profiting you 3% and stagnating, if you think that you can use that infrastructure to revamp and making 6, you're going to do it. it doesn't have to be 'literally unprofitable' to be an inefficient use of capital

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I wonder when we'll get a video of battles against minor factions (Border Kings, Kislev, Tilea, Estalia, Norscan tribes), even if they have a limited AI-only rooster I am still curious as to what CA will cook for them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Do I have to wait for Tomb Kings before I see Nagash or is he VC and they're definitely making him the day-one DLC of the third game?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Nagash isn't affiliated with either Tomb Kings or the Vampire Counts. He's also dead-ish until the End Times, when he is resurrected as a demi-god of undeath and kicks the Tomb Kings and VCs to the curb to create a unified Undead Legion with him at the helm.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Sharzak posted:

this is not at all how business works. if you have infrastructure that you are using for a product that is profiting you 3% and stagnating, if you think that you can use that infrastructure to revamp and making 6, you're going to do it. it doesn't have to be 'literally unprofitable' to be an inefficient use of capital

Lol at applying logic to games workshop business policy

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Sharzak posted:

Reminder: GW literally brags that they do no market research and also have claimed that only 20% of their playerbase actually plays the game, the rest being collectors and people who are really into making the models, despite the aforementioned lack of market research. Do not assume GW has a plan for anything they do.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
well i mean that's literally what they did

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
There's no definitive proof either way. The only difference is that people who don't like Games Workshop just like to shout louder about how that means fantasy might have been profitable.

I've never touched a table top game in my life, but I know this, because the stupid argument somehow finds its way into way too many other corners of the Internet. At this point the people who hate Games Workshop have become just as annoying as the fans, because of how they constantly have to let everyone know how bad a company GW is at all times. Most people couldn't give a poo poo either way.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's the same as Monsanto, or EA, or BP. The difference is that GW and how GW is bad in particular is relevant to this thread.

Edit: Monsanto might be a good example because they're competent. Evil, but competent.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Sharzak posted:

In theory, yes.

But in practice, the revamp in question was Age of Sigmar.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
MY UNCLE WHO WORKS AT GW SAYS THAT FANTASY WAS SUPER PROFITABLE BUT GW KILLED IT BECAUSE THE JEWS

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I haven't been into the miniatures side of GW for years, it's a bit sad how it seems to have fallen apart but Total Warhammer is the game I wanted ever since I first played Shogun.

If people are desperate for a fix before then give a look at King Arthur 2, I remember them being not that bad as a kind of knock off Total War in a Fantasy universe. It's got a lot of problems, but I did love the Werewolf troops that could act as Infantry or Cavalry.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

MY UNCLE WHO WORKS AT GW SAYS THAT FANTASY WAS SUPER PROFITABLE BUT GW KILLED IT BECAUSE THE JEWS

Well all GW finances are publicly available. Unlike most trad game companies they're publicly traded. We know for sure that Fantasy was profitable but not hugely so. We also know that Age of Sigmar led to a loss of sales. We also also know that the last CEO wasted money left and right including a multi-million dollar pseudo embezzlement scheme that paid his wife to create a terrible website.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well all GW finances are publicly available. Unlike most trad game companies they're publicly traded. We know for sure that Fantasy was profitable but not hugely so. We also know that Age of Sigmar led to a loss of sales. We also also know that the last CEO wasted money left and right including a multi-million dollar pseudo embezzlement scheme that paid his wife to create a terrible website.

We also don't actually know why Age of Sigmar has had a problem with sales or if it will remain so. Is it not selling well because it's bad? I have no idea, and frankly, compared to their top competitors, Fantasy and 40k both had terrible rulesets anyway. Is it not selling well because Fantasy fans are butthurt? If so, what else should have been done? Is it not selling well because it has dozens of new competitors emerging practically every day that are cutting into GW customer base? I don't know the answer to any of these questions, and honestly, neither does anyone here, and besides, this is a thread about Total War: Warhammer, which is taking place under the auspices of the old franchise anyway, so who the gently caress cares and why does this stupid conversation keep happening?*

*because nerds live on hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Shumagorath posted:

Do I have to wait for Tomb Kings before I see Nagash or is he VC and they're definitely making him the day-one DLC of the third game?

Nagash is already in the game. He is in Azhag's helmet, whispering in his ear.

Terrible Opinions posted:

We also also know that the last CEO wasted money left and right including a multi-million dollar pseudo embezzlement scheme that paid his wife to create a terrible website.
I always wondered if there was a story behind the worst multi-million pound website I've ever seen.

• Locked thread