Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I did some work at Alton Towers shortly before the Smiler crash and the management culture there is absolutely loving horrific. The Smiler was down for maintenance and had a multiple hour queue. I would bet everything I own that a manager stood over the ride engineering repair chaps and forced them to open early in test mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhy7dXWjpAA

I had something similar happen to me on an attraction but because of< circumstances I'm not going to go into for fear of identifying myself> they didn't stand over me and try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Had a part-time job at the Alumni Association in my second-last year of University in the call centre asking grads for donations. One of my coworkers was an Indian foreign student who would always make a point of trying to bring this "cultural practice" up with any white face he talked to for more than 3 minutes. "You see, the practice of wiping with a bare hand is actually more hygienic because you're less likely to get colon cancer from toilet paper and you wash your hands right after, so it is cleaner than using toilet paper."

Everyone he told this to would immediately (subconsciously) wipe their right hand on their pants/shirt, then respond with, "but you wash your hands after using toilet paper as well . . . plus you never get poo poo on your hands, how can you think touching the poo poo is cleaner than not touching it?"

To which he would shake his head in exasperation and walk away.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Karma Monkey posted:

Goddamn, it's like Shake Hands With Danger on mescalin. :stare:

Pity it doesn't have its own catchy theme song though.

Couple stories, not OSHA but MSHA:

I used to work at a mine in California. During our new-hire MSHA training, the Safety Director (who was relatively new to the company himself) made a comment that other places he'd worked at would be in full panic mode if MSHA hit them with 10-15 violations. This place, management was dancing for joy on their desks (figuratively, as that would probably be an MSHA violation) because they "only" got dinged 50 times when the inspector came round last time.

That Safety Director was no longer employed with us after a few months.

Suffice it to say, safety was not the top priority among upper management. In fact, MSHA was routinely dinging the mine for the same violations on nearly every inspection. Turns out it was cheaper to pay the fines than to fix the problems, as some portions of the facility were drat near a hundred years old and still in use. Downtime would be crippling to production.
Then one day, MSHA showed up for routine inspection. I don't know if, at this point in time, they were funded solely on fines as was pointed out earlier in the thread, but here's what happened. As the inspector was inspecting and writing up the plant for the same violations yet again, he came to the realization that he was writing the plant up for the same violations yet again. And he was drat sick of it.
The inspector decided to cite the mine for EVERY violation he could find, no matter how minor. From the rotten floors to random deposits of bird poo poo (it could aresolize and spread pathogens, you see), every violation was noted, citations issued, and they were all collated into a 7-inch thick booklet. A copy of which was sent to each and every break room in the place For Our Convenience (and amusement). To top it all off, the inspector levied a fine of $1 million per day until each and every violation was fixed.

Everything got fixed within a week.

Eventually, management decided that we were costing too much in wages (we were a union shop) and hired a bunch of contractors to replace us. Shortly before we were shown the door, however, I got to witness the aftermath of one of these new workers futzing about with a heavy lift truck. I was told later he needed to lift a pallet of materials that was stacked atop another, but had to adjust the width of his forks. So he raised the forks level with the upper pallet (about 4 feet maybe), stood between them, and undid the catch that held the forks in place. So of course, with nothing holding the forks in place, they fell. On the contractor. I showed up as they were loading him onto the ambulance, and learned later he'd have to spend the next year in traction due to a slight case of pulverized pelvis and tibiae.

I wasn't so bummed about being forced out after that.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I did some work at Alton Towers shortly before the Smiler crash and the management culture there is absolutely loving horrific. The Smiler was down for maintenance and had a multiple hour queue. I would bet everything I own that a manager stood over the ride engineering repair chaps and forced them to open early in test mode.

I had something similar happen to me on an attraction but because of< circumstances I'm not going to go into for fear of identifying myself> they didn't stand over me and try that.
:geno::respek::geno: Hi jaded amusement park industry buddy, I can remember several minor incidents and one all-day standoff with managers who preach safety and then demand asinine actions that go against all policy and conservative safety practices. It was scariest when it was a facilities manager...

I haven't been to Alton in more than a decade, but I remember they were obsessed with lift stops for loose items and such. Seems like a good way to get into trouble if the systems commonly fail to restart like all of the coasters I've worked on. You won't believe this one weird trick to reset your block system all from the console! etc.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Alpenglow posted:

:geno::respek::geno: Hi jaded amusement park industry buddy, I can remember several minor incidents and one all-day standoff with managers who preach safety and then demand asinine actions that go against all policy and conservative safety practices. It was scariest when it was a facilities manager...

I haven't been to Alton in more than a decade, but I remember they were obsessed with lift stops for loose items and such. Seems like a good way to get into trouble if the systems commonly fail to restart like all of the coasters I've worked on. You won't believe this one weird trick to reset your block system all from the console! etc.

AT are hardcore about loose items. I've been stopped on the Oblivion hill more times than I can count because someone has decided to get their phone out. That is seriously uncomfortable. :geno::respek::geno:

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 27, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Universal Orlando recently added metal detectors to Rip Ride Rockit (can't remember if they're also at Dragon Challenge or will be added to the Hulk when it reopens). Part of the reason is that the Rockit has two major danger areas: a straight vertical lift hill (where loose change just loves falling out of pockets and beaning the people behind you) and the "crowd surf" where the coaster goes straight over the queue while tilting nearly 90 degrees. There's been at least one instance of a phone whipping out of someone's pocket and crashing into an empty part of the queue on that part.

It used to be worse. After the on-ride photo, the train curves up and loops around with the car tilted completely sideways. This section was notorious for phones that didn't fall out on the lift hill or non-inverting loop (the coaster starts into a traditional loop but does a helix so the train isn't inverted at the top) launching into the sky here and smashing into a backstage area. It took a surprisingly long time for Universal to put up a net to catch flying phones, so for a while team members were just told not to walk in this one spot where the ballistic arc would take personal objects.

Speaking of Universal coasters and their problems, they eliminated the famous dueling part of the Dueling Dragons (now Dragon Challenge) a few years ago, widely regarded as the most unique and cool part of the ride. It was two separate "dragons", Fire and Ice, and they would launch simultaneously and engage in choreographed inversions and near-misses to resemble two dragons in a fight. Over the course of about a month, there were two separate instances during the most thrilling segment (the two trains come straight at each other and pull up into loops just before impact) where people in the front row were sprayed with some kind of debris. One person lost an eye from it. I don't think anything conclusive was found as to the cause, but Universal panicked and has so far permanently launched the trains out of synch to prevent any more dueling.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

fyodor posted:

Dont believe the toothpaste they just don't want you to get high as gently caress.

Toothpaste is the nutmeg of your bathroom

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

chitoryu12 posted:

Speaking of Universal coasters and their problems, they eliminated the famous dueling part of the Dueling Dragons (now Dragon Challenge) a few years ago, widely regarded as the most unique and cool part of the ride. It was two separate "dragons", Fire and Ice, and they would launch simultaneously and engage in choreographed inversions and near-misses to resemble two dragons in a fight. Over the course of about a month, there were two separate instances during the most thrilling segment (the two trains come straight at each other and pull up into loops just before impact) where people in the front row were sprayed with some kind of debris. One person lost an eye from it. I don't think anything conclusive was found as to the cause, but Universal panicked and has so far permanently launched the trains out of synch to prevent any more dueling.

So which dragon won?

Glass Joe posted:

The inspector decided to cite the mine for EVERY violation he could find, no matter how minor. From the rotten floors to random deposits of bird poo poo (it could aresolize and spread pathogens, you see),

I've been working under people pressure washing bird poo poo off the steel overhead for a couple days. A fine aerolized mist of poo poo water, downpours of poo poo water, chunks of bird poo poo, nails, and wooden blocks all raining down. But we've got hardhats.

Yesterday, all my exposed skin had a rash. It's me, I'm the patient 0.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
All this talk about amusement parks and no mention of Action Park?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY-xgS7K3Xc

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The string provides structural support.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dillbag posted:

Action Park is loving amazing from an OSHA standpoint, and I'm a little disappointed I never got to experience it in its heyday. Supposedly the current incarnation is still kinda dangerous compared to the competition, even if it's not as much of a bloodbath as the 1980s.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Dillbag posted:

The one time I went to Action Park, I rode the Alpine Slide as many times as I could after trying a few other rides. I didn't fly off and get friction burns on my arms, but I did see a couple of people that did.

On one of the water rides, my inner tube got stuck in one of the pools along the path (the current basically made a whirlpool to pull it to the middle) and I had to get off it for a moment to get moving again. Glad I didn't get electrocuted like that one person.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lime Tonics posted:

The string provides structural support.

The string provides emotional support.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The string provides emotional support.

The tie that binds.

What about that huge rear end anthill?

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
None of you have mentioned that it was commonly called Traction Park, shame on you goons

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Grave Pool

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
5:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDHqfhyCbbM

:psyduck:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Running a cone over ain't cool, but that seems like a bad way to flag a hazard

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Glass Joe posted:

So he raised the forks level with the upper pallet (about 4 feet maybe), stood between them, and undid the catch that held the forks in place. So of course, with nothing holding the forks in place, they fell.

I've only worked with forklifts for a little over ten years but I've never seen one where the forks weren't kept in place by, you know, gravity even if you undid the catch.

tl;dr: you're forklift was a piece of poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 27, 2016

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

this one time my buddy removed all the latches from a forklift and it didnt fall on him

this completely unrelated other time my buddy bumped a forklift with the gas pedal and someone got hit with tines

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've only worked with forklifts for a little over ten years but I've never seen one where the forks weren't kept in place by, you know, gravity even if you undid the catch.

tl;dr: you're forklift was a piece of poo poo.

It can happen due to operator error. I have seen someone hook the forks up where only gravity and luck is holding one of them. If you don't have the top and bottom catches fully engaged, they can fall off if you smack the bottom of the fork. You have to be completely incompetent to do this, but it can be done with sheer talent.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

mostlygray posted:

It can happen due to operator error. I have seen someone hook the forks up where only gravity and luck is holding one of them. If you don't have the top and bottom catches fully engaged, they can fall off if you smack the bottom of the fork. You have to be completely incompetent to do this, but it can be done with sheer talent.

hrm. when I was new to the forklift and bad at judging the tilt and such, sometimes I would lower them too much when I would back off the pallet while it was on the scale. Basically the forks would be resting on the bottom of the pallet and when they came out they fell. It just makes a loud clunk, but the scale is only about 6 or 7 inches off the ground so. Hasn't happened in a while, I've gotten a lot better at it now.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Drove by this truck earlier today in Florida, good to know we got a detailed warning if anything went wrong!

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone got fired yesterday for undoing the safety on a nailgun and taking a few shots at a forklift driver.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Red Suit posted:

Someone got fired yesterday for undoing the safety on a nailgun and taking a few shots at a forklift driver.

Well.

Did he hit? 360 no scope headshot?

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just found a couple of pictures on my old cellphone:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

What is that?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Karma Monkey posted:

What is that?

The gas tank has a tumor.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Karma Monkey posted:

What is that?

Old soccer ball or something instead of the cap.

Bonster posted:

The gas tank has a tumor.

Also this.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Red Suit posted:

I saw a guy try to shoot nails across a room by pressing the safety in with his thumb and finger. First nail took off a good chunk of his thumb and the thumbnail. Second one missed what was left.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PhotoKirk posted:

I saw a guy try to shoot nails across a room by pressing the safety in with his thumb and finger. First nail took off a good chunk of his thumb and the thumbnail. Second one missed what was left.

On dole, lost fingat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PhotoKirk posted:

Pretty much the perfect "Hey, hold my beer and watch this" moment

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
forklift chat: Last week at the recycling center here in town a forklift backed into a concrete wall. The wall fell over crushing a man on the other side. :smith:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
styrofoam chat:

quote:

I had a location I did an inspection on recently. People updating plumbing were sweat soldering some pipes. Whole wall went up in seconds because of that polystyrene layer behind it.

Edit:

quote:

theatrical drapes are also really flammable before they are treated with flame retardent. About once every 6 months I have to explain to some clueless member of furry con staff why drapes are rented and expensive even though they think they can just go to fabric world and pick some up. Our "head [fiscally conservative purse holder]" actually researched this and found it more expensive to maintain them than to just rent them (they have to be sprayed with the flame retardant every 1-2 years.).

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 27, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Doctor Bombadil posted:

This one is really pretty common in farming country, but they are typically just local farm trucks and stick to the local roads to move that stuff between the field and where the cows are.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3PWfpZCWiQ

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
I like how the cop knew what to do. I guess sinkholes are common enough in China that people can recognize them?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Doctor Bombadil posted:

At first I thought that the load had shifted and started coming out the back because the driver braked hard. Because that seemed more plausible than someone purposely loading a truck in that manner.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

This man denied us a video of a car disappearing into a hole while just driving along.

And saved some lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PhotoKirk posted:

Isn't this pretty much what duct tape was invented for?
Both holding the safety back and repairing fingers.