Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Your Computer posted:

Every boss has a bonfire, and every new area has one.
They could have done without the boss bonfire but it would be weird if every other boss has one except this one. It's just for bookkeeping.

This is not the case with Abyss Watchers and the Catacombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
Has anyone had success in pvp as a caster? I've tried sorcery and pyromancy, and can't make either work, aside from landing one in ten chaos fire orbs.

I would prefer to be predominately a caster with some melee, but it feels like I have to be a melee with a splash of caster (and even then, just chaos fire orb)

Are the dark sorceries any good? I enjoyed playing a hexer in DS2.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
I'm dissapointed in the lack of bonfire mimics this time around.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Etrips posted:

What is a good cheese weapon to get through the main PvE elements of the game? And it seems like there is no point in wearing super heavy armor? Just dodge roll all day long?

Heavy armour has decent damage resistance, just make sure you stay under 70% weight.

Good cheese is well... I feel like any weapon you stick with from the start is good enough. I think you can just stick raw infusion on the first weapon you see and pump all your points into pyromancy for even more damage.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

spaph posted:

Armor is for resists and that's it right now; go for weight efficiency as compared to absorption (think Wolf Ring builds from DaS1).

Early gg weapon is Deep Axe from Mimic on High Wall under the dragon.

Nope. RIP Silver Tracer

Fingers crossed for DLC

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Scags posted:

Has anyone had success in pvp as a caster? I've tried sorcery and pyromancy, and can't make either work, aside from landing one in ten chaos fire orbs.

No personal experience with it, but a while back I did get summoned as part of a gank squad and the host obliterated invaders with sorcery. I think the key is you need a summon to play distraction.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I see OnlyAfro is revisiting an old classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwV7CAdjY74 (Big post-Irithyll location spoilers.)

Glad to see people are embracing the opportunity to do this kind of invasion again.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Managed to beat High Lord Wolnir last night. Took me quite a few tries but he wasn't actually hard. It was just a matter of figuring out his gimmicks. I figured you had to kill him before he could push you up to the back wall but that seems to be nearly impossible? It doesn't matter anyway though because you can still avoid his poison and big AOE attacks if you run to a back corner and his sword attacks are stupid easy to dodge.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Scags posted:

I would prefer to be predominately a caster with some melee, but it feels like I have to be a melee with a splash of caster (and even then, just chaos fire orb)

Are the dark sorceries any good? I enjoyed playing a hexer in DS2.

For pyromancy you want to be manually aiming your fireballs. Cancel lock on and throw in roughly the direction your target will probably be rolling. If you're just relying on the lock-on to do the work for you people will simply be long gone by the time your fireball gets to its destination.

e: bold

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 26, 2016

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Kiggles posted:

For pyromancy you want to be manually aiming your fireballs. Lock on and throw in roughly the direction your target will probably be rolling. If you're just relying on the lock-on to do the work for you people will simply be long gone by the time your fireball gets to its destination.

I can't believe I never thought to do this. Great tip!

What other pyromancies are good or at least passable to have? I figure the toxic cloud must be nice. Chaos firestorm maybe?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scags posted:

I can't believe I never thought to do this. Great tip!

Here's a good example of manually aiming fireballs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJrmRb21WBw

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

TaurusOxford posted:

I think the key is you need a summon to play distraction.

this is pretty crucial. if you're hoping to use regular lock-on casting in a 1v1 scenario, you're only going to win against people who have never played a souls game before (which is likely a very small number of pvp people at this point). you've either got to manually aim your pyro spells and try to mix up 2 or 3 different spells with different speeds and ranges so you get them confused on which direction they need to roll, or you need to leverage sorceries that don't all need to be aimed and then combine those with a fast casting damage spell or the sorcery greatsword so they roll towards you and into the CSM or whatever.

basically if you're hoping to just use one certain spell / pyro and pew pew pew someone to victory you are very unlikely to succeed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It's been a long time since I've been spooked by an enemy as badly as those loving sewer slugs in the catacombs. Those noises...:cry:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tried both whips out for a while and I'm very disappointed. Not a lot of damage output and it keeps you wide open for attacks far too long.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The flaming abortion when it hits looks satisfying

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
FINALLY FUKIN FINALLY gently caress FROMSOFT FOR ONLY PUTTING THREE MAGIC FIND ITEMS

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

double nine posted:

Tried both whips out for a while and I'm very disappointed. Not a lot of damage output and it keeps you wide open for attacks far too long.

There's another whip and it's very good, but it's 100% for pyromancers only (scales mostly with Int/Faith and has fire damage). It owns very hard though.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

What on earth are the spawn conditions for Siegward in the well in the cathedral of the deep? I did everything I've read to do, every shortcut door open, boss dead and he never appeared. Then I screwed up because I read that you need the armour from patches before he will appear, but patches wasn't selling it and I was told he dropped it if you killed him. So now there is still no siegward, no dropped armour and the handmaiden doesn't sell it with patches ashes. Why the heck wouldn't siegward appear in the first place.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Harrow posted:

I see OnlyAfro is revisiting an old classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwV7CAdjY74 (Big post-Irithyll location spoilers.)

Glad to see people are embracing the opportunity to do this kind of invasion again.

DarkSydePhil will forever be a great source of audio clips for Souls montages.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

double nine posted:

The witch's locks are ok with their weapon art since it has crazy range and stays out a while so you can catch rolls with it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

What on earth are the spawn conditions for Siegward in the well in the cathedral of the deep? I did everything I've read to do, every shortcut door open, boss dead and he never appeared. Then I screwed up because I read that you need the armour from patches before he will appear, but patches wasn't selling it and I was told he dropped it if you killed him. So now there is still no siegward, no dropped armour and the handmaiden doesn't sell it with patches ashes. Why the heck wouldn't siegward appear in the first place.
Simple answer is after you open everything up, warp out and come back. He should be in the well

The IF in this case is whether or not you did the events earlier at Undead Settlement where the two of you fight a fire demon. Maybe he got knocked off a cliff during that? Who knows. At any rate it sounds like your quest line there is hosed. Good thing making new characters is fun!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
this is what happens when you kill patches.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Kiggles posted:

Simple answer is after you open everything up, warp out and come back. He should be in the well

The IF in this case is whether or not you did the events earlier at Undead Settlement where the two of you fight a fire demon. Maybe he got knocked off a cliff during that? Who knows. At any rate it sounds like your quest line there is hosed. Good thing making new characters is fun!

I did the earlier event and it was okay, I don't know if I missed something obvious or its just straight up broken for some reason.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Managed to beat High Lord Wolnir last night. Took me quite a few tries but he wasn't actually hard. It was just a matter of figuring out his gimmicks. I figured you had to kill him before he could push you up to the back wall but that seems to be nearly impossible? It doesn't matter anyway though because you can still avoid his poison and big AOE attacks if you run to a back corner and his sword attacks are stupid easy to dodge.

Is this a joke post? I didn't even know he had a sword. Or poison. That fight never lasted more than 60 seconds.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Is this a joke post? I didn't even know he had a sword. Or poison. That fight never lasted more than 60 seconds.

Uh no?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

spaph posted:

Armor is for resists and that's it right now; go for weight efficiency as compared to absorption (think Wolf Ring builds from DaS1).

Early gg weapon is Deep Axe from Mimic on High Wall under the dragon.

Nope. RIP Silver Tracer

So my masters armor plus carthus rings for maximum rolling isn't as stupid as it seems?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mr Teatime posted:

before you make a new guy, i got the quest to play out, and it went like this:

1. do undead city, kill the fire demon with sieg, talk to him afterwards to get the pose & siegbrew
2. do chapel of the deep, open all shortcuts, beat the deacons, left to start doing catacombs. went back to see if he was in the well & he was, exhausted his dialogue there. up to this point, i had never bought the 20k firelink key from the handmaiden, and patches was NOT in the chapel of the deep.
3. grind out 20k souls to get the firelink key, go to tower behind firelink, patches is there and locks me in. when i bust out, he's in his spot at firelink. i forgive him and he has all the catarina armor on him for sale. grind out another 20k souls to buy it all off him.
4. return armor to sieg in the well, he's cool about it. finish up catacombs and by the time i found him again in the kitchen under irithyll he was ready for the next quest step

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Sieg seems to spawn in the well after Deacons. Exhaust his dialogue in well, then go up the tower at Firelink, get locked by Patches, talk to him, homward out, go back to talk to him at his spot (up top as if you were heading outside to tower but stay inside), forgice him, buy Sieg armour, go give to Sieg.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

I AM BRAWW posted:

FINALLY FUKIN FINALLY gently caress FROMSOFT FOR ONLY PUTTING THREE MAGIC FIND ITEMS

How/where do you get that??

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Congrats.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So the Prisoners Chain is worth it right.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

HnK416 posted:

How/where do you get that??

The Snake Men that summon Drake knights or Havel. Rare drop. I only farmed it out to get the mofucking Sunlight Shield from Pickle Pee

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

I AM BRAWW posted:

Sunlight Shield

I don't care if it takes me days, I'll get that goddamn staff.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

I just did it a little while ago - didn't need the armour beforehand, just had to pull the lever near Rosarias chambers then cross the bridge and head up to the doors and open them. I han't killed the boss yet though. Before this he was not in the well.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Best bet is Belfry bonfire and running accross to kill the snakman mage. Equip Crystal Rapier in offhand, Gold Covetous serpent, stock up on Rusted Coins and (if you have mimix head ur lucky i didn't) get ready to run back and forth a lot

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How do you get past the Lothric Castle dragons without saving and quitting? I've been trying so many things and the only way I've been able to get past is to run, save+quit, run and I refuse to believe that Fromsoft designed something that bad.

It doesn't help that I'm doing it on a fresh character who hasn't even killed Vordt yet (dancer glitch still in, baby), but I'm trying to farm for a Lothric Knight Greatsword early since I'm insane. I've gotten a strat down where I get past the dragons, then pull the greatsword guy behind the large gate as I run to safety while he's roasted but so far I've only gotten Titanite Chunks from him and even one successful attempt takes ages since I need to constantly save+quit in order to get past the dragons.

Alternatively; anyone want to gift me a Lothric Knight Greatsword? :sigh: On PC, since I assume that matters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jump off the bridge

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

So the Prisoners Chain is worth it right.

Sorta-kinda. I'm revising my opinion on it and I actually think the Ring of Favor might be better.

First: the hit to your defenses hurts more than it looks like. An extra 5 Vigor isn't that much HP, depending on how much Vigor you actually have. If you're above 27 Vigor, that comes out to around 90 HP, which isn't a lot, either in PvP or PvE. Meanwhile, you're taking a flat 10% extra damage from everything that hits you, and that adds up faster than you'd think. The Ring of Favor gives you like 3% more HP which is pretty close to nothing, but it doesn't hurt your defenses.

Then, 5 Vitality is a flat 5 extra equip weight. That can be great or nothing. The Ring of Favor gives you 5% equip load, which is like 2-3 more depending on your base Vitality, and, again, doesn't hurt your defenses.

The 5 Endurance is pretty good--it's probably about 10 Stamina--but you can get that much or more from the Ring of Favor (depending on how much base Stamina you have--RoF gives you 10% more) without the defensive penalty.

So the Ring of Favor is likely better for your Stamina, almost as good for equip load, and worse for HP (but the defensive penalty from the Chain probably shifts that balance). I'd say go for the Ring of Favor and use the soul to make Gundyr's Halberd instead, which is an insanely good Strength weapon.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

How do you get past the Lothric Castle dragons without saving and quitting? I've been trying so many things and the only way I've been able to get past is to run, save+quit, run and I refuse to believe that Fromsoft designed something that bad.

Where exactly are you stuck? On the first part I just ran up to the bridge then dropped off to the ledge down below, there's items on both layers down there and a path that circles back to the bonfire, then you head up the left hand side and you're on the next phase. If you're talking about the courtyard AFTER that, I honestly didn't see a "safe" way to run across, so I just ran and rolled to the other side starting far enough back that there weren't any lingering flames on the ground, wasn't hard to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Your Computer posted:

It doesn't help that I'm doing it on a fresh character who hasn't even killed Vordt yet (dancer glitch still in, baby), but I'm trying to farm for a Lothric Knight Greatsword early since I'm insane. I've gotten a strat down where I get past the dragons, then pull the greatsword guy behind the large gate as I run to safety while he's roasted but so far I've only gotten Titanite Chunks from him and even one successful attempt takes ages since I need to constantly save+quit in order to get past the dragons.

Alternatively; anyone want to gift me a Lothric Knight Greatsword? :sigh: On PC, since I assume that matters.

Take a left to fall down as soon as you get on the bridge lmao