Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Your Computer posted:

How do you get past the Lothric Castle dragons without saving and quitting? I've been trying so many things and the only way I've been able to get past is to run, save+quit, run and I refuse to believe that Fromsoft designed something that bad.

It doesn't help that I'm doing it on a fresh character who hasn't even killed Vordt yet (dancer glitch still in, baby), but I'm trying to farm for a Lothric Knight Greatsword early since I'm insane. I've gotten a strat down where I get past the dragons, then pull the greatsword guy behind the large gate as I run to safety while he's roasted but so far I've only gotten Titanite Chunks from him and even one successful attempt takes ages since I need to constantly save+quit in order to get past the dragons.

Alternatively; anyone want to gift me a Lothric Knight Greatsword? :sigh: On PC, since I assume that matters.

Drop off the bridge onto a lower platform you tunnelvisoned dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I AM BRAWW posted:

Take a left to fall down as soon as you get on the bridge lmao

Guys I've already completed the game, I know this basic poo poo. I'm talking in the courtyard after, even if I start running at the very edge where they can see me I still get roasted before I'm even halfway to the other side.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Drop off the bridge onto a lower platform you tunnelvisoned dork.

jfc guys

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Then that means I must finally face my greatest fear: The twin rape-o-diles of the death cellar.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Then that means I must finally face my greatest fear: The twin rape-o-diles of the death cellar.

Pull one towards the ladder with a bow and you can fight them separately. Even if you get one down and die, it'll stay dead, so that's progress.

The Ring of Favor is nice, though. It's not quite as good as the old FaP ring but it's worth a slot if you're not a pure mage (in which case all your ring slots are spoken for: Sage's Ring and three damage boosters).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 26, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Your Computer posted:

Guys I've already completed the game, I know this basic poo poo. I'm talking in the courtyard after, even if I start running at the very edge where they can see me I still get roasted before I'm even halfway to the other side.

jfc guys

Uh, maybe like kill the black masses on their feet so they despawn?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Your Computer posted:

jfc guys

If you hold B, your character runs (moves faster) usually this means you cover more ground quickly and in this scenario means you can run through before getting flamed. You don't run after they see you.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

How do you get past the Lothric Castle dragons without saving and quitting?

Shoot the right, zombified dragon in the wing (roughly around where the round bump with the spine is) with arrows until it dies. You can stand just below the small steps leading up to the bridge and their fire attack will not hit you. This is counted as a head hitbox, so you do vastly increased damage, and it will kill both of the dragons permanently when that one dies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vigor scaling really is kinda balls past 27, isn't it? The difference between starting Vigor and 27 Vigor is pretty big--depending on your class it can be as much as 600 HP--but the difference between 27 and 50 Vigor is only 300 HP. If you have 27 Vigor and use an Ember, you have the same amount of HP as if you had 50 Vigor.

That said, that's roughly one more hit from a straight/thrusting sword in PvP, so it could be worth it. But I could also see a PvP build stopping at 27-35 Vigor and doing just fine.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

If you don't fight them both at the same time please uninstall and give ur gamer bushido back

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Harrow posted:

Pull one towards the ladder with a bow and you can fight them separately. Even if you get one down and die, it'll stay dead, so that's progress.

The Ring of Favor is nice, though. It's not quite as good as the old FaP ring but it's worth a slot if you're not a pure mage (in which case all your ring slots are spoken for: Sage's Ring and three damage boosters).

Thank you. I shall attempt it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Uh, maybe like kill the black masses on their feet so they despawn?

This character is like 20 minutes old, I don't really stand a chance actually fighting anything in here yet. I could draw you guys a map if you can't remember the run past the dragons, because I'm talking about getting roasted after the bridge drop and before you get to their feet.

I AM BRAWW posted:

If you hold B, your character runs (moves faster) usually this means you cover more ground quickly and in this scenario means you can run through before getting flamed. You don't run after they see you.

Well yeah, if you try that you'll be stuck in fire before you can begin running. I'm talking about save+quitting on one side of the courtyard and still only making it halfway to the doorway before being roasted (in other words, they see me and attack faster than I can run across).

e: and I can get past fine with save+quitting, after which I could kill the dragons. But the whole point is that 1) there has to be a legit way to get across and 2) I can't kill the dragons since I need them to kill the Knight for me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

This character is like 20 minutes old, I don't really stand a chance actually fighting anything in here yet. I could draw you guys a map if you can't remember the run past the dragons, because I'm talking about getting roasted after the bridge drop and before you get to their feet.

A +2 Longbow with 99 Standard Arrows and 99 Heavy Arrows is more than enough for you to kill both of them. It takes about 4-5 minutes, depending on your aim.

Your Computer posted:

2) I can't kill the dragons since I need them to kill the Knight for me.

The Ithiryll Outrider is for sure easier to kill by yourself than getting past those dragons and baiting the Outrider up consistently.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Your Computer posted:

Well yeah, if you try that you'll be stuck in fire before you can begin running. I'm talking about save+quitting on one side of the courtyard and still only making it halfway to the doorway before being roasted (in other words, they see me and attack faster than I can run across).

e: and I can get past fine with save+quitting, after which I could kill the dragons. But the whole point is that 1) there has to be a legit way to get across and 2) I can't kill the dragons since I need them to kill the Knight for me.

Wait, you're doing the sequence break thing and getting mad at being in a late game zone on a fresh character?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Finally got around to progressing the game instead of just being a dick to people in archdragon peak. Good lord that twin princes fight was intense, one death due to wasting far too much estus on the solo elder prince portion. Guess all I have left now is the nameless king and the final boss, DLC when, From?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Easy way to cheese the rape-o-diles:

Lure one over with arrows, then climb the ladder up above its attacks and do a plunging attack for massive damage. Evade and climb it again. Rinse and repeat 2-3 times.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

A +2 Longbow with 99 Standard Arrows and 99 Heavy Arrows is more than enough for you to kill both of them. It takes about 4-5 minutes, depending on your aim.

The Ithiryll Outrider is for sure easier to kill by yourself than getting past those dragons and baiting the Outrider up consistently.

Not the outrider, the Lothric Knight wielding a Greatsword. Because I want the Lothric Knight Greatsword.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wait, you're doing the sequence break thing and getting mad at being in a late game zone on a fresh character?

When was I mad? I'm asking if there's a legit way to get past the dragons without save+quitting. I have the same problem on my level-appropriate characters, I get halfway across the courtyard and then one-shot. You guys are the ones being a jerk about it :raise:

e: even after looking at several youtube videos of people going past that area it honestly seems like the only way to do it is to perfectly time a dodge and then wade through the fire. Wading through the fire isn't a problem, but the first part seems a bit odd.

e2: did I ask at a bad time or something? You'd think this thread was a loving bridge with the amount of trolls in here

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 26, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Fly Molo posted:

Lure one over with arrows, then climb the ladder up above its attacks and do a plunging attack for massive damage. Evade and climb it again. Rinse and repeat 2-3 times.

I tried this once out of desperation AUUUUUUUUUUGGH

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Electric Lady posted:

I'm getting the game working well and I've gotten a hold of a working controller, but I've realized that I have a problem where I can't see fire or bloodstains/messages. I can see the lighting effects around where fire should be (the dragon in High Wall of Lothric), and I can interact with messages and bloodstains, but I can't see them.

Is this a graphics setting or a driver issue? I have an AMD Radeon 6800 series (don't recall the exact card), drivers all up to date.

Any ideas on this? I think it has something to do with particle effects, because it's not only fire and bloodstains/messages, but also item drops.

This is what the Firelink Shrine looks like - notice the lack of fire effects both on the bonfire and candles:

This is what the drop looks like for souls that need to be recovered after death:

Since I have a lower-end PC (obviously, as you can see from my Radeon HD 6800 series), I use an external program called RadeonPro to lock my FPS to 30 and change some other settings. I followed a guide that I believe I saw on Reddit, but I don't think that any of these change particle settings since I have the same problem even running the program outside of RadeonPro:

Again, I've made sure that my drivers are absolutely up-to-date. I don't believe that AMD is supporting my GPU anymore, so if it's a problem with that then I'm out of luck. :sigh:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Your Computer posted:

Just roll through the courtyard bro

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fly Molo posted:

Fun fact: this is basically how I beat Taurus Demon on my first Dark Souls playthrough before I realized that he basically couldn't hit me if I stayed under him :v:

The giant croco-dogs, sadly, do not have such a blind spot.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Your Computer posted:

You just loving run accross wtf is wrong with u quit getting fiesty lmao

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Wolnir has attacks

What

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

Like I said just start your run across from far enough back that there isn't any fire still on the ground, there's plenty of time to make it across.

Or just say screw it like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viksYeNddSo&t=1328s

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ZenVulgarity posted:

Wolnir has attacks

What

:jerkbag:

If you destroy the two rings on his left arm first he makes it extremely difficult to break the last one. Meaning you have to whittle his health down by attacking him normally.

If you beat him that way, trust me, you'll have plenty of time to see his attacks.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Your Computer posted:

e2: did I ask at a bad time or something? You'd think this thread was a loving bridge with the amount of trolls in here

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Man this game.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

:jerkbag:

If you destroy the two rings on his left arm first he makes it extremely difficult to break the last one. Meaning you have to whittle his health down by attacking him normally.

If you beat him that way, trust me, you'll have plenty of time to see his attacks.

Well I didn't do that so I didn't know that

I kind of want to break the two rings first to see that poo poo in a new playthrough

If you do it one ring then two he doesn't really do much of anything, which I thought was super weird

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just remembered that I actually got killed by a mimic last night. I tried to open the chest without checking first even though there was a sign right in front of it and I got ate. It's perhaps my most embarrassing Dark Souls moment and I wanted to share it so you could all laugh at my idiocy.

I was so close to the shortcut in Irithyll Dungeon, too. :smith:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

How I think I play dark souls

How I probably play dark souls
http://i.imgur.com/xwWAvh8.mp4

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
[10 people trying to teach an autistic man how to tie his shoe]

[Your Computer:] uhhur. No, stop it, not how you tie shoe. No no. I know, definitely. Real way to do it is this. [Your Computer starts trying to glue his laces together]

[Crowd of normal well adjusted people:] Uhm sir no, you need to take one lace and pass it thr-

[Your Computer starts growling and foaming at the mouth] Troll, TROLL, TROLLS. T r o l l s

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

I kind of want to break the two rings first to see that poo poo in a new playthrough

If you do it one ring then two he doesn't really do much of anything, which I thought was super weird

It's not impossible to beat him by breaking the single ring after the double ring, it's just that his resting position has the arm with the ring on it pulled in really tight so that you take continuous damage from the dark aura near him when you melee it. It's not as severe as the damage from his big dark barf attack though so you can easily just fight through it to finish him off.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I AM BRAWW posted:

[10 people trying to teach an autistic man how to tie his shoe]

[Your Computer:] uhhur. No, stop it, not how you tie shoe. No no. I know, definitely. Real way to do it is this. [Your Computer starts trying to glue his laces together]

[Crowd of normal well adjusted people:] Uhm sir no, you need to take one lace and pass it thr-

[Your Computer starts growling and foaming at the mouth] Troll, TROLL, TROLLS. T r o l l s

Lmao

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not impossible to beat him by breaking the single ring after the double ring, it's just that his resting position has the arm with the ring on it pulled in really tight so that you take continuous damage from the dark aura near him when you melee it. It's not as severe as the damage from his big dark barf attack though so you can easily just fight through it to finish him off.

I've never seen his big barf attack

All I've seen is him swipe me a couple of times and then claw forward and then that's it

That fight is probably cooler than it first appeared

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wolnir owned me a couple of times because I kept getting stuck behind his arm and murdered by the cloud around his ribcage.

When I did actually beat him it took like 20 seconds total.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ZenVulgarity posted:

Yeah that's the way you're "supposed" to do it. Didn't realize that until after I'd beaten him and looked it up in the wiki. I figured I was doing something wrong because it seriously takes loving forever to kill him the way I did it.

If you break the two rings on his left hand then he draws his right arm back into the poison by his rib cage. At that point it's really difficult to get any hits on it. He ends up spawning a giant sword but all it does is big, sweeping attacks that are easy to dodge and an AOE attack that's ridiculously telegraphed. Like I said, it's not difficult at that point, just tedious.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
At least Wolnir is one of the better gimmick bosses in Souls games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

He was much less annoying for me than Ancient Wyvern

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Your Computer posted:

Not the outrider, the Lothric Knight wielding a Greatsword. Because I want the Lothric Knight Greatsword.

When was I mad? I'm asking if there's a legit way to get past the dragons without save+quitting. I have the same problem on my level-appropriate characters, I get halfway across the courtyard and then one-shot. You guys are the ones being a jerk about it :raise:

Maybe you should level up health a tiny bit more so you don't get one shot? Seems like everyone has super low health.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

How I think I play dark souls

How I probably play dark souls
http://i.imgur.com/xwWAvh8.mp4

I play Dark Souls in the Chief Arino method: by running like a coward away from every enemy and otherwise finding the safest possible strategy to fight something if I can't otherwise avoid it.

TaurusOxford posted:

At least Wolnir is one of the better gimmick bosses in Souls games.

He at least looks cool, but even non-cheese Anri SS bleed builds can take him out pretty easily as long as they're using God's Chosen Weapon, the straight sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm pretty sure that every single enemy in this game has some sort of super secret attack that they only use after you've fought them a bunch of times and you're certain that you've got them figured out and only when you're at half hp and about to take a drink.