Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The most recent patch proved to be a lot of fun. I love the mad race on my server to be the first tribe to tame a new dinosaur. Everyone was out hunting rhinos all at once. :3: It was fun! Made for fun banter. It was also nice to finally have a use for those terror bird eggs. :P

239 is due out next week and will bring with it dire bears, mantas, and chemistry tables. Supposedly it'll also add bosses and boss arenas and the 4K texture deployment. Fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

my cat is norris posted:

and the 4K texture deployment.
No, this will be delayed. Probably arenas too.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Jackard posted:

No, this will be delayed. Probably arenas too.

Ahhh, shoot. I went by what I'd seen on Reddit earlier today. Too bad.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I'm just basing this off how it usually goes. They are reliable with adding new items/dinos, but the big/fundamental changes get pushed back and back.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Speaking of big changes did they ever add tech tier?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Azhais posted:

Speaking of big changes did they ever add tech tier?

Not yet, but they've been teasing it.

And ah, yeah, Jackard -- you're right about that. Sorry for missing the joke. :downs:

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Haha most of the players that have left the game have done so because of GPS issues and they're wasting time on 4k textures? Wow. The population of this game is taking a nosedive.

Brojangs
Oct 15, 2015
Brojangles

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

A couple of friends and I have a small server running that any of you wonderful nerds can come gently caress each other up on.
http://ark-servers.net/server/36962/ (it's bumped to 8x taming and breeding because gently caress watching dinosaurs sleep for hours)
Also the pvp and raid timer is being turned off when i get home for full time unadulterated rear end hattery.

I'm the only active admin, and have logging turned on and all that fun stuff so I'm fair game for raiding.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
As someone who hasn't played this game in close to a year can anyone tell me how much has changed if anything? My friends and I quit because of things like taming length of time, getting obliterated when you logged out got old, and trying to find a decent PVP non-official server that didn't have moronic rules or a sufficiently active population was a headache. Finally the poor game design decisions of how the devs set things up by level was a pretty big turn off since you spent so much time min-maxing things and ended up in stupid situations where "oh my level 501 tyranosaur has a squillion hitpoints while your level 500 only has a million so I kill you hurr hurr!".

Has anything gotten better / improved? The reason I got to thinking about it was because I saw the new video today with the giant ape and they apparently have added the arthropleura to the game and I got curious.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't played in about 2 months, but it was that way 2 months ago. My friends and I had a lot of fun playing at first but everyone burnt out. The game discourages PvP and encourages hardcore grinding and offlining raiding. Sprinkle on a good portion of jankiness and it takes a game concept that could be really fun and turns it into something really soul crushing. You can pretty much tell from the lack of activity in this thread.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

That's misleading for a few reasons.

1. Most of our discussion has moved offsite to Discord, and that information can be found in PGS: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766764

2. The devs introduced a new official server type called "Extinction" in early April. These servers have monthly resets plus increased experience, gathering, and taming rates. It's an extended pvp match - a good place to learn the game, and the May season just started Monday.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 4, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't help but feel like their focus is to release tons of content, and then worry about balance later. I think a lot of us are just waiting for that balancing to happen.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I really haven't been able to bring myself to play since they released gigas and quetzals. What are the rates on extinction servers?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ok so balance is still the same as ever huh? That sucks. :(

I predicted early on that this game would be problematic when they decided to go with levels and points to put into skills and things. I really like the idea of gating technology behind such a system and setting it up so that one person can't learn everything, but when you go the route of putting points into abilities then you end up with "best builds" and long term players who beat newbies not just because of tech or resources but also because their characters are essentially unkillable regardless of skill level.

Oh well, guess I'll check back in a couple months.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
In addition to balance, making the game run decently at higher than Nintendo 64 graphics settings would be nice.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

I really haven't been able to bring myself to play since they released gigas and quetzals. What are the rates on extinction servers?
x3 gather
x2 experience
x1.5 tame

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Jackard posted:

x3 gather
x2 experience
x1.5 tame

Hahahaha, 1.5x tame? On a sever that wipes monthly? No, thanks.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

Hahahaha, 1.5x tame? On a sever that wipes monthly? No, thanks.

The devs seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes the game fun.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Based on all the stuff they've added like bolos, handcuffs, and cages I'm pretty sure the devs think that "permanent incarceration in Dino Guantanamo" is what players find fun.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Bolas have incredible PVE utility and are a must-have for every player.

New official map coming out soon:

quote:

@MyLady_Khaleesi We'll be starting /w 60-or-so servers for TheCenter (PvP/PvE), and scale rapidly up from there if the demand is there ;-P

Gonna make all Official 'TheCenter' servers be 100-player servers :-D

@trailerparkape Should be around March 16; and it will be a super-optimized, updated version of TheCenter. It runs better than TheIsland ;-P

Join our Discord here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766764

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
The new map is kinda giving me the urge to come back to ARK for a bit.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/473850/

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Azhais posted:

Based on all the stuff they've added like bolos, handcuffs, and cages I'm pretty sure the devs think that "permanent incarceration in Dino Guantanamo" is what players find fun.

This is stuff that gets Youtube videos and articles written about it. Look how much free PR Rust gets for random genders.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Carecat posted:

This is stuff that gets Youtube videos and articles written about it. Look how much free PR Rust gets for random genders.
Know of any interesting links offhand?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 18, 2016

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I would play ARK over Rust if it had only herbivore dinos

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I have a question that I haven't been able to gleam from the OP or steam reviews. Can this game be played on a LAN with two people just playing co-op? And if so would that even be a fun way to play this sort of game? I'm looking for an experience like The Forest but with better graphics, a larger gameworld and more to do in it. Is it fun to play this with just one buddy or is there a lot of stuff you just have to do solo like the whole taming dinosaurs aspect? When you die is it easy to hook back up with friends, and are you allowed to cheat the system by reverting to a savegame or do you always lose your whole inventory?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

davebo posted:

I have a question that I haven't been able to gleam from the OP or steam reviews. Can this game be played on a LAN with two people just playing co-op? And if so would that even be a fun way to play this sort of game? I'm looking for an experience like The Forest but with better graphics, a larger gameworld and more to do in it. Is it fun to play this with just one buddy or is there a lot of stuff you just have to do solo like the whole taming dinosaurs aspect? When you die is it easy to hook back up with friends, and are you allowed to cheat the system by reverting to a savegame or do you always lose your whole inventory?

Because of how taming works with most animals you can take shifts with your buddy on top of changing the taming speed multiplier, so that animals don't take 5+ hours to tame. Dying can be a problem because while you can pick the spawn point closest to where you were, it's up to you to remember where your corpse bag dropped--and figuring out how to get it with whatever killed you still lurking.

You'll learn to only go venturing out into the forest with easily-replaced items, saving your hardcore uber gear for important stuff just in case you get swarmed by bugs or something.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

davebo posted:

You can easily play over LAN with just a few friends. Your options are to have one guy host locally, where everyone can't get more than like 100 or 150m from the host, as the world isn't simulated outside this radius. Or run a dedicated server on your machine and have everyone connect to it, this is what I do. With so few players you'll definitely want to hit up some server args to boost tame, breeding, xp and gathering rates, IMO. Dying can be painless or really drat annoying. Early on I'd suggest starting near a given spawn point and building a base there. Once you collect enough resources for beds you'll always spawn back into it, instead of on some desolate stretch of beach miles from where you finally settled down. Only carry gear you can afford to lose, basically. It'll persist on the ground for a time, longer if no-one is near it so it's not loaded in. If you're out with buddies have them grab your essentials.

And really if it gets to you, you're on a local server, hit up some cheats. I've had to do it a few times just when I got my dumb rear end stuck in some terrain.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

davebo posted:

The game is meant to be experienced in pretty large groups versus other pretty large groups. It's a PvP game. That said, I've put hundreds of hours into it playing mostly solo. I felt like there was a ton to do. I probably only experienced something like 5% of the content. Every grindy aspect of the game can be tweaked to your liking, either through actual options in-game or via any of the various mods that exist. I like games that are really hard so that was what appealed to me about it. The biggest reason not to play, for me, is that they add content so fast that I couldn't keep up with the game drastically changing all the time. So I'm basically just going to wait it out until the retail release.

When you die you drop a bag that despawns after an hour or so. There's a mod that will mark it on your map if you want to go that route.

edit: I also forgot to mention that the game lags terribly in every server I've ever tried. I also ask the regulars their opinion on the amount of lag and everyone is experiencing it. There doesn't appear to be anything that anyone can do about it at the moment. It makes the game way easier because enemies have an extremely tough time hitting you but you can still hit them. Playing single player and playing online is night and day when it comes to performance.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 19, 2016

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

edit: I also forgot to mention that the game lags terribly in every server I've ever tried. I also ask the regulars their opinion on the amount of lag and everyone is experiencing it. There doesn't appear to be anything that anyone can do about it at the moment. It makes the game way easier because enemies have an extremely tough time hitting you but you can still hit them. Playing single player and playing online is night and day when it comes to performance.

Apparently that is the games DB saving which happens every 10 mins or so, and it will literally just give everyone on the server a 10 seconds lag spike. It's not the worst, just super annoying, especially if you are in the middle of a precarious position.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The game is meant to be experienced in pretty large groups versus other pretty large groups. It's a PvP game. That said, I've put hundreds of hours into it playing mostly solo. I felt like there was a ton to do. I probably only experienced something like 5% of the content. Every grindy aspect of the game can be tweaked to your liking, either through actual options in-game or via any of the various mods that exist. I like games that are really hard so that was what appealed to me about it. The biggest reason not to play, for me, is that they add content so fast that I couldn't keep up with the game drastically changing all the time. So I'm basically just going to wait it out until the retail release.

When you die you drop a bag that despawns after an hour or so. There's a mod that will mark it on your map if you want to go that route.

Kind of wish I had read this post before pulling the trigger on two copies of the game last night, but oh well. I'll probably end up doing what Arrath said and just playing 2 player on a LAN where it only renders the area around the host and trying to stick together. We'll get bored eventually then start piling mods on and maybe by the time we've had our fill with that The Forest will have some more content, then when that's old we can go back to Ark and just swap out. We've been playing co-op Portal 2 levels for years so anything inexpensive to break the monotony is welcome.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

davebo posted:

Kind of wish I had read this post before pulling the trigger on two copies of the game last night, but oh well. I'll probably end up doing what Arrath said and just playing 2 player on a LAN where it only renders the area around the host and trying to stick together. We'll get bored eventually then start piling mods on and maybe by the time we've had our fill with that The Forest will have some more content, then when that's old we can go back to Ark and just swap out. We've been playing co-op Portal 2 levels for years so anything inexpensive to break the monotony is welcome.

You could just find a reasonably moderated pve server to play on too if you're looking for other people to be around.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So this new map is larger than the original? How is that possible given that the devs originally said they had made a map as large as possible that the engine could support and therefore couldn't increase the size of it?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I don't believe Center is that much larger, rather it uses the space more efficiently? Still has some rough edges, but is pretty cool.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 19, 2016

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Hmm that might be how they do it. According to a quick google search "The game's map, known as the "Ark", is approximately 48 square kilometers in size, there is approximately 36 square kilometers of land mass, with 12 square kilometers of ocean."

So if they somehow put a lot more stuff into that cube that would be pretty neat. If they found a way to almost double the size of the map without pouring a bunch of players into it that would be excellent since it would go some way towards making it harder for people to easily find you and wipe you out overnight. Of course the game is still borked with balancing and taming time stupidity so I'd have to find a well monitored PVP server with tweaks to at least taming time.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Azhais posted:

You could just find a reasonably moderated pve server to play on too if you're looking for other people to be around.

I don't know, it seems like in the long run we'd appreciate being able to enable mods and cheats on our own. Or do other servers allow you to mod your own experience without it affecting other players? Can I assume that on pve servers people can't wreck your structures or lock you up and steal your poop to fertilize their farms? My top priority is maintaining autonomy over my own feces.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

davebo posted:

I don't know, it seems like in the long run we'd appreciate being able to enable mods and cheats on our own. Or do other servers allow you to mod your own experience without it affecting other players? Can I assume that on pve servers people can't wreck your structures or lock you up and steal your poop to fertilize their farms? My top priority is maintaining autonomy over my own feces.

Mods are up to the server host, 100%. PvE servers seem cool in theory but people will still grief you, they just get creative about it. And then you can't retaliate! I'd say 2 player LAN is fine for your purposes

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The queue for 569 is a mighty beast. Guess I'll try again tomorrow! I want to Center so bad.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The center of the island being larger than the island itself is hilarious and strangely fitting :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Current and former 82 goons, Server 82 is all but lost. We still have some bases left, we have quite a few gigas and battle quetzals left. We are lacking players. We can supply you with weapons, armor, and dinos. If you can help us fight, post in the PGS thread.