Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fat Samurai posted:

So, it's there any point to upgrading my capital instead of, say, a random 3 Resource planet?

Early on it's much easier to level your capital and depending on the what resources you have available you may be able to get your capital to lvl 4 before you can support two lvl 3 planets (so you can export the resource). That said if I had to make a choice, I'd try to develop the planet that has the most build-able space.

I have a game going that I've certainly won, I used the galactic super power and galactic utopia combo, I'm sitting at 100% influence, I have a ship that is more powerful then the Revenant (which was destroyed) but none of the AI empires will surrender to me even though they have zero planets. I got the achievement, but I never got the victory screen. I like to see my power charted etc as part of the winning but it never popped up. Is there a way to bring it up via the cheat menu or something?

That ship I have highlighted is my pride and joy. The only thing I'd change about it is maybe add one more storage supply instead of a power. It absolutely obliterates the non-destroyer chassis Remnent fleets and having 40million hitpoints does hurt either.

Speaking of Remnant fleets and the Revenant they should probably have their design updated to at least use the Destroyer Chassis and the Carrier Chassis as applicable. You may also want to have their crystal armor plates surround their Anti-matter reactors after that significant change....

Oh is there any other way to get secret projects besides the diplomacy cards?

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
With secret project, it can be from unlocking and then building something that uses a related research. I know in one of my games, I got the artificial moon project after researching ring habitats, and I had to build 5 ring habitats to start researching the new project. The Collusus hull modifier was the same thing, requiring 5 titan hulled ships to be built. However, all you have to do is build those items, not have them all active at once, so you can save a bit on maintenance by scrapping the extra titan ships.

Related, when I was designing my titan class ship, it seemed liked there was not enough design screen to fully design. I ran out of vertical space while I was adding in all the different systems, mainly because I was trying to get at least 500 internal space used and still have decent armor coverage.

Also, the level 4/5 benefits of FTL Crystals do apply to Mechatoid population transfers. It cost no FTL to teleport population from any of the planets in the same system as the FTL crystal planet. That made expanding very easy, and mainly a matter of literally building up the population.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Apparently you have to go clean up the fleets of the empires whose planets you've conquered. Once I did that I got the proper game win screen. Also a carrier fleet with 300G offensive power was pretty neat.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The new jumpdrives are great but have SO many bugs. From post-jump ships trying to path back to where they started, to ships consuming FTL and not actually making the jump, to the bizzare "ships do a jump but instead of jumping the flagship and its supports are strewn randomly across the path to the destination.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

GGLucas posted:

Hi! Sorry you're having trouble with the game, sometimes a bug slips into a savegame. If you could post your Documents/My Games/Star Ruler 2/errors.log.txt and your save file that crashes (which is in the saves/ folder there), that would help us a lot in fixing whatever issue you're having.

Emailed to you, hope it's a quick fix, been looking forward to this.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

metasynthetic posted:

Ok, got a possible bug report, trying to build a core on a tier 3 exotic matter world as Ancient and it says it will take 15000000 minutes or something like that to finish, finishing a tier 2 in the same system works as expected. I can settle a tier 3 Corinium world in a different system as normal.

Quoting myself because I found a workaround, in case anyone else runs into this: Apparently, the exotic matter bonus somehow interacts with the Ancients in a bad way, causing this issue. I colonized another planet in the system, then exported the exotic matter to it with only the replicator in orbit around the exotic matter planet, (which caused that planet to no longer give itself its own bonus?) After that, I was able to build a core as normal.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Conot posted:

The new jumpdrives are great but have SO many bugs. From post-jump ships trying to path back to where they started, to ships consuming FTL and not actually making the jump, to the bizzare "ships do a jump but instead of jumping the flagship and its supports are strewn randomly across the path to the destination.

ive seen all of these bugs, But the scattering of support ships across the path of the jump drive should be a feature.

It would encourage more jump drive single destroyers rather then carriers, Creating some variety.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010

GGLucas posted:

A possible reason that could block a population transfer from a specific planet is if the planet is under siege or an annex vote is currently underway on it. If that's not the case then feel free to post a savegame as well and I'll take a look at what's causing it.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure you guys are busy. Here is my save game, as you'll see, the planet of Astarte (an Oil planet, so you can locate it easier on the planet screen) is unable to transfer its population anywhere, I had a war recently but it's been over for a good time, so no sieges or anything else I can spot that might cause it.

As you'll also see, I'm not very good at this game yet and soon the United Oko will rule over us all. :commissar:

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
Hey, I got the expansion to support you guys. Liking it so far; not a fan of the new races (Ancients return all the micromanagement i'm not a fan of to the planets and heralds are too random/force you to spend all your budget on making colonizing work; too many tradeoffs for me to feel comfortable with), but it's been a blast. This isn't about that, though. Playing as the Feyh and kicking everyone's rear end all over the galaxy as normal, but I got the warmongering attitude because I was going to conquer everyone anyway and uh

well, you know how they say war makes us all less safe?

THEY AREN'T KIDDING.

tl;dr: the level 5 bonus for Warmongering is bugged. I can upload a save if it'd help. The energy is not permanently fixed to that; it will rapidly oscillate between some normal generation number, and then the moment I have any amount of energy it will flip back to the insane opposite number. Defense meanwhile is constantly decreasing. I assume at this point our entire civilization has entered a state of ever-expanding hot civil war, using our super-refined war techniques to pitch things to an ever higher and more ridiculous level of conflict. The greatest enemy and the only foe capable of satisfying our lust for ever greater, ever madder wars... lies within.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

metasynthetic posted:

Quoting myself because I found a workaround, in case anyone else runs into this: Apparently, the exotic matter bonus somehow interacts with the Ancients in a bad way, causing this issue. I colonized another planet in the system, then exported the exotic matter to it with only the replicator in orbit around the exotic matter planet, (which caused that planet to no longer give itself its own bonus?) After that, I was able to build a core as normal.

This is exactly the bug I was running in to, but the exotic matter was the only planet left in the system for me to grab ;_;

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Two (much better, sorry BMS) streams for SR2 from QuartertoThree's Tom Chick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgd6hJjybHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVKhcWGTfLc

I got a far better understanding of the game than I had before after watching all of the first one and an hour of the second.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Anyone having a problem with load times on longer games?

Edit: And by problem I mean waiting for five minutes before giving up.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 25, 2016

GGLucas
Feb 12, 2014

It's not a shill account if I paid 40gp for it, right?

Sedisp posted:

Edit: And by problem I mean waiting for five minutes before giving up.

Hi. If you could upload a save that is taking too long to load for you and link me to it I can see if it's something that I can reproduce/fix.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

GGLucas posted:

Hi. If you could upload a save that is taking too long to load for you and link me to it I can see if it's something that I can reproduce/fix.

http://www.filedropper.com/ftl51

GGLucas
Feb 12, 2014

It's not a shill account if I paid 40gp for it, right?

Sedisp posted:

BlondRobin posted:

tl;dr: the level 5 bonus for Warmongering is bugged. x

Elem7 posted:

Emailed to you, hope it's a quick fix, been looking forward to this.
These should all be fixed now in the r5054 build that we just pushed to steam. Thanks for the reports and be sure to tell me if you have any more problems.

Goodchild posted:

as you'll see, the planet of Astarte is unable to transfer its population anywhere
This one is proving a little trickier. It seems the planets in that system still think they're in the process of being annexed by a vote from 2 hours game time earlier, and planets under annex vote cannot transfer away population. I'll have to investigate some more to see what caused this to fail, thanks for reporting the bug and providing a save.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Darn, the Steam deal for the release of Heralds is over. I just got some money and was thinking about picking it up; is Steam the only place I can buy it? I couldn't find a direct purchase option on the website.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
It will also be available on GOG.com, though the Expansion isn't quite yet available on it. Hopefully it'll be up tomorrow.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lorini posted:

Two (much better, sorry BMS) streams for SR2 from QuartertoThree's Tom Chick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgd6hJjybHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVKhcWGTfLc

I got a far better understanding of the game than I had before after watching all of the first one and an hour of the second.

This is great, I'm watching the first one and it's very useful to see him explain and reason his moves.

Stupid question: how do I mine ore asteroids? I can't build miners on my homeworld.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You need to design a mining ship. There is no default design for one (there really should be, they're kind of important to get as early as possible).

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

You need to design a mining ship. There is no default design for one (there really should be, they're kind of important to get as early as possible).

Are you sure? I'd swear there was one, called the Mining Tug or something similar? I know I never designed any but there was one available.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Theres the size 16 or so Miner that I think is a starting mining ship, but you should really upgrade that out the gate since the tiny miner can carry like, 30 ore max. Just superbly inefficient use of time, especially since their automation doesn't allow them to FTL to their drop off point and back.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, I generally try to design my miners such that it takes roughly 1 budget cycle (so 3 minutes) of continuous mining to fill up their ore tanks. 1k ore minimum early in the game, 5k+ if its lategame.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Fat Samurai posted:

Stupid question: how do I mine ore asteroids? I can't build miners on my homeworld.

Once you build a miner it will probably automatically target the nearest asteroid, but you need to set its drop off point manually. There's a button to do this next to the ftl jump button.

Took me awhile to figure that out. Right now I've got mine going to a beacon but I don't know if that's the right thing to do.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Rhjamiz posted:

Are you sure? I'd swear there was one, called the Mining Tug or something similar? I know I never designed any but there was one available.

I played Heralds right after release of the expansion and all I had civilian wise was a Scout and a Tractor.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

metasynthetic posted:

Yeah, I generally try to design my miners such that it takes roughly 1 budget cycle (so 3 minutes) of continuous mining to fill up their ore tanks. 1k ore minimum early in the game, 5k+ if its lategame.

Could you show your design? I'm figuring this game out slowly.

DatonKallandor posted:

I played Heralds right after release of the expansion and all I had civilian wise was a Scout and a Tractor.

Same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For designing miners it's kind of up to you to just balance propulsion, cargo, and mining speed. More engine space (and less armour) means more speed, more cargo bays mean more cargo capacity, and more mining laser space means faster mining speed.

Generally I would say you want a good solid chunk of space, about 1k maybe, then balance between mining speed and propulsion around that, as both achieve broadly the same effect, slower miners will take longer to fill up but travel faster if you devote the space to engines, whereas faster miners fill up faster but will take a little while to get home.

If you're using a gate species you might care a lot more about mining speed than engine speed because you can just build a gate near where you're mining and the miners will use that.

You should also consider that as you tech up, your engines will get better so you might be able to build later designs with smaller engines and still get the same responsiveness, and also once you unlock some of the bigger, cheaper to maintain hull classes, you might want to design some ships around those, to start with miners can be quite expensive to maintain. Also if you use antimatter reactors and shields instead of armour you can give them some protection without sacrificing speed.

You might also elect not to use armour but instead put bulkheads on the actual modules to boost their HP and initial build costs but not increasing maintenance costs, generally miners work better if they're quite big because you can send them out further on longer trips, so you will probably want some protection.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 26, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah, this was my problem. IIRC a very early version of the game (it still had the first tech tree) had a miner design from the start, so when I didn't see it I assumed that the mechanic had changed, specially because you can build some mining stations from planets.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What's the value of ore for non-ancient species?

Star Forge is kind of underwhelming compared to just a normal shipyard with a high level planet.

A ring world is an end game luxury project.

Am I missing a key mechanic?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

If you're not playing this game to build ridiculous end game luxury projects and fling planets around I don't know what to tell you.

I'm getting soundly trashed by the AI so I haven't build any end game poo poo yet

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Powercrazy posted:

What's the value of ore for non-ancient species?

Star Forge is kind of underwhelming compared to just a normal shipyard with a high level planet.

I dunno about 'key' but yes there are other things beyond new habitables and orbitals which use Ore, such as one of the Hulls and a few subsystems beyond that (e.g. Liquid Armor).

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Ore is a finite resource, isn't it? It seems kind of odd that there's no artifact that creates more asteroids though there's multiple ways to create more food and water (well maybe the planetbuster turns planets into more asteroids but I never bothered using one :v:).

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
No artifact for it but the Collectivism Attitude's Level 4 Effect will generate 'em from time to time.

The First can generate tons of Ore from their planets so they never really saw the need to make tools to make Ore from asteroids. Closest thing they built for it was the Planet Buster which has that pleasant secondary side effect - but it was still primarily built to annihilate worlds so that they could reconstitute them into artificial ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thompsons posted:

Ore is a finite resource, isn't it? It seems kind of odd that there's no artifact that creates more asteroids though there's multiple ways to create more food and water (well maybe the planetbuster turns planets into more asteroids but I never bothered using one :v:).

Ore is sort of a finite resource but collectivism spawns more asteroids in your systems in the expansion, and you can always create and then bust planets, it stands a reasonable chance of creating ore rocks.

E: Also, another fun thing about the expansion, I like that moon bases now add 2 pop to the planet, way more valuable than they used to be.

Also ring worlds are very nearly a win button in terms of how much they can produce for you, playing defensively until you can build one is absolutely a viable strategy because they output huge amounts of resources and money.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 26, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

I dunno about 'key' but yes there are other things beyond new habitables and orbitals which use Ore, such as one of the Hulls and a few subsystems beyond that (e.g. Liquid Armor).

Yea I've noticed that. Ore certainly has it's use, but it doesn't seem critically important at the beginning of the game, as there isn't even anything that can use it until you've researched quite a few techs.

Is there a way for a sub-light species to develop FTL? Especially for the end-game.

OwlFancier posted:

Ore is sort of a finite resource but collectivism spawns more asteroids in your systems in the expansion, and you can always create and then bust planets, it stands a reasonable chance of creating ore rocks.

E: Also, another fun thing about the expansion, I like that moon bases now add 2 pop to the planet, way more valuable than they used to be.

Also ring worlds are very nearly a win button in terms of how much they can produce for you, playing defensively until you can build one is absolutely a viable strategy because they output huge amounts of resources and money.
I haven't built one yet, but I'm intrigued about them. It looks like if you can get one built, and import a research, energy, influence and luxury resource to it, it should be monster. But I don't know how it compares to a normal empire with 2-3 level 5 planets.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

quote:

Is there a way for a sub-light species to develop FTL? Especially for the end-game.
In the base game? No. Best you might be able to manage is a few FTL Gates with enough luck in your Anomaly generation that you get FTL generation and FTL capacitance on top of 2 Gates.

Beyond that, researching the Skip Drive is the only real way to obtain an alternative FTL tech.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Thanks for the info, I figured there had to be more ore-making stuff ingame and I just wasn't looking hard enough.

Though on the topic of ore and ship elements and things, what exactly is everyone's thoughts on armor? I get the basic ideas of it (damage resistance reduces damage up to like 80%, damage threshold reduces incoming damage to whatever the DT number is), but there're a lot of armor types, all of them doing different things. Like I know reactive armor is good for smaller ships since smaller plates have a lower DT score, but what about armor placement on other things? Should I layer different kinds of armor, and if so in what order? Are neutronium plates only really good for stations? What's the big benefit of liquid armor?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Thompsons posted:

Thanks for the info, I figured there had to be more ore-making stuff ingame and I just wasn't looking hard enough.

Though on the topic of ore and ship elements and things, what exactly is everyone's thoughts on armor? I get the basic ideas of it (damage resistance reduces damage up to like 80%, damage threshold reduces incoming damage to whatever the DT number is), but there're a lot of armor types, all of them doing different things. Like I know reactive armor is good for smaller ships since smaller plates have a lower DT score, but what about armor placement on other things? Should I layer different kinds of armor, and if so in what order? Are neutronium plates only really good for stations? What's the big benefit of liquid armor?

It's been a while but I tend to build a two-layer system. Outer layer is Steel to absorb big hits, inner layer is reactive? to eat up the little ones that get through. Or the other way around, I can't remember which. It definitely helps increase survivability in a full-out brawl.

Edit: Generally speaking I build a front "wall" to absorb it all so I don't have to layer the whole drat thing in armor.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Thyrork posted:

Could you show your design? I'm figuring this game out slowly.

Same.

I'm playing as Ancients so the mass reduction lets these guys zip around with relatively small engines.

Re: non-Ancient ore chat, I played a game with fling beacons and a level 5 cyllium homeworld continuously generating artifacts, along with a level 5 ftl world for free flings of, well, everything. Star forges eat planets for ore (at 5k each) in 30 seconds each, so I would raid enemy systems and fling back all their useless (to me as a Mechanoid) food and water worlds, and let the star forge eat them.

Turned the entire Nylli empire into 3 ring worlds and emptied an entire spiral arm. Felt good.

After you run out of natural planets, you can use artifact generated stars / planets to keep feeding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm conservative with my armor choices as the number one thing to me is keeping the mass down. But one thing I've noticed is that big hits will cut through the ship in basically a straight line. So if you take a critical system, like your bridge core and you draw 6 straight lines from it, following the hexes I make sure to reinforce those lines. On the outside of the ship I'll put some neutronium, inside I'll have some bulkheads along that line. At the back of a ship I'll have ablative armor that is good vs multiple small hits, and at the front of the ship I'll have reactive/ablative, with plate armor behind it.

Liquid armor isn't all they great imo, but the way it used to be used was you'd have a "skin" of liquid armor, and then a connected reserve inside the ship. Pack the ship with repair capabilities and you'd have a tough ship. But with the hex limitation on ships, you don't really have enough room to do that anymore, plus I think they reduced the repair rate and increased the power consumption of those systems. Maybe you could get some success using titan/colossus hulls, but I haven't really experimented too much.

On another note I love the community ships you can download, but I wish you could restrict your search queries to specific technologies, and also your current version of the game. As many of the old designs are obsolete/invalid.

I will recommend everyone download the "ugly scout" design from the community tab. It's very fast, can be easily adapted for any race you want, and it's plenty survivable. The first thing I build when I start a new game is 2-3 of those and put them on auto-explore, usually they will survive until the end-game.

• Locked thread