Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Mordja posted:

How is the remake anyway, and is it actuallly a new game or just an upres with nicer textures?

It's a completely new game, and it plays a little differently, physics-wise. It tries to get on that same level of Quake'sque movement, but doesn't really get there. Some of the levels are recreations from the original (like the cementary in the beginning) with some add-ons (like new enemies, extra rooms or decorations etc.), some are completely new. Visuals are the most controversial, in my opinion - some models are completely remade from scratch, while some were just touched up a little bit here and there, and some just have their textures upscaled and added bump-mapping. There are new weapons, the most important one being the soul eater - iirc, you can feed it souls (both from dead enemies or just suck them off those alive), when it gets fully charged you can fire a powerful shot, otherwise you can shoot circular sawblades a'la Chasm. Nothing really exciting or gamechanging. There is another one, I think it's in one of the DLCs or in a stand-alone levels (because for some weird reason there is a campaign and set of single, stand alone levels), which is some kind of weird grenade launcher? I dunno, it's bad. There are completely new cut-scenes with godawful voice acting (at least they're on model, unlike the original PK).
Overall it's actually worth those 4,99$, there are some cool levels and the main idea of shooting ton of monsters with combo weapons is retained, it's just the whole thing feels unfinished and like devs weren't exactly sure what do to with the source material - they expanded it a lot, but not in a terribly creative ways. Fun game for an afternoon or two, but I don't go back to it like I do to PK:Black Ed.

The day People Can Fly was disbanded devoured by Epic was a terrible end to a promising studio, and the people who went to establish Flying Wild Hog, Farm51 etc. never found the same success :(

laserghost fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
UT 99 is peak arena shooter for me and I really wish there was a source port with steam friends integration or something because trying to play with friends with modern ip6 is a pain in the rear end.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Bobinator posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what's your issue with Blood? I got the impression you weren't the hugest fan of it, and in some ways, I guess I can understand that. I just really dig the weapons and the aesthetic, not so much the enemies who can do about half your health with one shot.

Retard is right, Shadow Hog is right, and it's a little bit of several other reasons as well.
Caleb wasn't really seriously considered for Samsara since the others had fairly Doom-y gameplay and weapon equivalents and handled their gameplay in roughly the same way. Even the most out-there characters (Parias and the Security Officer) had very straightforward playstyles that work well in Doom's run-and-gun format, but a lot of the more out-there games just can't be ported to Doom very easily and stay intact.
Also keep in mind that Samsara was designed first and foremost as a DM mod, a crossover fighter-style gameplay that emphasized character balance (meaning characters would need both to be viable against each other and that they cannot be overpowered/underpowered in combat) and character feel (meaning even with all of the different changes, it should feel like someone's playing a tweaked version of the classic game AND THEY SHOULD NOT dramatically impact how other people play as well).
To pick on another punching bag whom is also a very popular character request, Strifeguy simply does not work at all in Doom's format. Strife's gameplay emphasized character upgrades, a little bit of stealth, and exploring around a hub collecting equipment to improve yourself over time, much like a typical RPG.

There's also that, yeah, I don't like playing Blood and handling Caleb with his nuances in animation, weapon behavior, movement, and etc, would be far better suited for someone who's a big fan and loves it to death.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

TerminusEst13 posted:

So basically expect Caleb to appear as the third DemonSteele character.

I still have your Caleb add-on for it!

I don't know if you're planning on adding a third character to DemonSteele, but if you do, what genre would you go to for ideas?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

If I did, I've been looking pretty heavily at black metal/death metal. Some kind of super edgelord who thinks they're grim and dark and mysterious but is actually kind of a dope might be interesting.

That's a gigantic if, though. Shihong needs a lot of tweaks and fixing. And Shihong was born out of people with complaints about DemonSteele's gameplay, so there'd need to be a similar vein of discussion that all points into another gameplay direction.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

TerminusEst13 posted:

If I did, I've been looking pretty heavily at black metal/death metal. Some kind of super edgelord who thinks they're grim and dark and mysterious but is actually kind of a dope might be interesting.

That's a gigantic if, though. Shihong needs a lot of tweaks and fixing. And Shihong was born out of people with complaints about DemonSteele's gameplay, so there'd need to be a similar vein of discussion that all points into another gameplay direction.

Please make it about taking the piss out of the dude from Graveland, he's really the creme dela creme of bad black metal photos.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

laserghost posted:

Aw, I feel bad now that I made that joke. Caleb never was in Samsara's roster, but being widely requested, Kins jokingly noted in the changelog that Caleb was added and then removed :shobon:

Killer Quake Pack adds a shitton of weapons and gadgets, like helper dogs (that you can feed with monster carcasses), portal gun, vampire axe (heals you when you land hits - just don't use on zombies), grapple hook etc. Very fun to use with Qonquer. Also play Something Wicked This Way Comes, an excellent, enormous map with a lot of new monsters and some weapons.

Sounds rad, I'll give em a look, thanks friend!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

FanaticalMilk posted:

Please make it about taking the piss out of the dude from Graveland, he's really the creme dela creme of bad black metal photos.

Of course it would be the Nazi black metal which would spawn the most ridiculous costumes of all.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I forgot who we had from here who contributed to DUMP 2, but I've been flash reviewing it. Maps 01-23 are covered so far. I have a gentlemen's agreement with Term that if I don't get the rest done by 18:00 my time next Monday, he gets to pick out a £20 steam game of his choosing, so you wont have to wait long.

If you're wondering why I did that, I work better to deadlines with mild consequences.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Awhile back I was in the thrall of an idea that I passed your way once it released its grip on me. She'd make a fine dorky edgelord but I mostly raise this because I think a proper "Mage" girl in your crew would be a good third to cap it off. Was one of the big things that inspired that entire idea in the first place.

Sure, Lisa is more of a Paladin than a Mage, but that was just to flesh her out more in a different direction. Demonsteele at its heart is about melee and having a shield hefting lady struck me as a good identity.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 26, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So has anyone given Romero your money yet? I don't see myself doing it unless it's really close and will potentially fail otherwise. I'm curious to see if he can produce anything worthwhile, but don't really trust him with my money.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Not feeling like giving money to another Daikatana, sorry.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Copper Vein posted:

From the narrative perspective of the saga of John Romero and iD Software, I'm kinda disappointed he didn't have Tom Hall handing him a keyboard in the video.

I think the only reason Tom Hall isn't attached to this game is because Romero relocated to the other side of the planet.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Casimir Radon posted:

So has anyone given Romero your money yet? I don't see myself doing it unless it's really close and will potentially fail otherwise. I'm curious to see if he can produce anything worthwhile, but don't really trust him with my money.

Normally I'd wait for it to be out, but I had to do it. It'll be at least three years until it's done I'm sure, being optimistic, but hey it's got a soundtrack by George Lynch of Dokken. I mean sweet Daikatana that's metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkVW1pHs0LY

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think the only reason Tom Hall isn't attached to this game is because Romero relocated to the other side of the planet.

Didn't go far enough for American McGee though :cheeky: (China)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I kind of want to, but at the same time I feel I need to see footage before I'll part with my monney - even if that footage is just bounding boxes running around a dev-textured map.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just lol if Romero thinks he's getting money for any project of his that hasn't even gotten past a couple of pieces of concept art.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

site posted:

Just lol if Romero thinks he's getting money for any project of his that hasn't even gotten past a couple of pieces of concept art.

He's already got 74 thousand, that ain't too shabby. I'm not 100% sure they'll hit it, but 700 thousand may be possible. Plenty of adventure games with not much more to show have gotten funded for example. Though they usually do a little mockup video I guess.

A month is plenty of time for them to throw together some wacky mockup vid if need be, hopefully they're not just sitting around this month. For an adventure game you just need one character model to wander around a screen. I guess here he needs like one hud weapon and a room that looks presentable.

For example the Space Quest guys got over 500,000 for SpaceVenture, and they had very little to show at the time. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que/description

I would not be surprised if John and Adrian raise 700,000.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 26, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The other issue is it's not even good concept art.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Even if they do raise 700k which they very well may not at this rate, that's a shoestring budget for anything approaching a polished FPS. They could have done a great WAD pack for cheaper, but if they're doing a proper full game that's nothing.

Not too uncommon to do a kickstarter run so you can build a demo to show investors and get further funding, but it just means Romero would have even more challenges up ahead before this thing has a snowball's chance in hell of being made.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Having just finished Doom and Doom 2 for the first time, and also having watched an LP of Daikatana, I've got spectacularly mixed feelings about this. As such, I'll be chilling in the wait-and-see crowd. Though on a related matter, I followed up my playthroughs of each Doom game by going back though with Project Brutality. That's gotten me mildly curious as to what everyone else's reaction to their first flesh wizard was. I personally went into full panic mode and started unloading everything wildly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Instead, make the third character a magical girl inspired by Babymetal. :v:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Instead, make the third character a magical girl inspired by Babymetal. :v:

Or Visual Kei.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Mak0rz posted:

Those of you who don't yet have Quake 1 or 2: buy this version instead of the Steam version because it actually comes with a working soundtrack.

Is it worth buying again for the soundtrack? By which I mean, does any money actually make its way to the people who worked on them, since it's pretty easy to get it into the Steam version.

ColoradoCleric posted:

UT 99 is peak arena shooter for me and I really wish there was a source port with steam friends integration or something because trying to play with friends with modern ip6 is a pain in the rear end.

I really can't decide which I like better of 99 and 2k4, there's good aspects to both of them that the other lacks.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Kins I think you need to replace the bronies in Reelism?

Keiya fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 26, 2016

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Mak0rz posted:

Oh also as an added bonus buying any of these gets you Arena and Daggerfall absolutely free!
Bethesda made them available to download for free a few years ago
http://www.elderscrolls.com/arena/
http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/
You have to gently caress around with Dosbox yourself but that's piss easy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keiya posted:

Kins I think you need to replace the bronies in Reelism?
I was going to add pallete-swap variants into X3 for the various new and creepy children's cartoon fandoms that have emerged over the years since the first version, but I couldn't remember the sound pitch settings I used or imitate the voice with quite the right consistency. :(

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Well, there's always Northern Darkness for inspiration!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3q7rGOY9tE

I remember reading somewhere on a planned Quake mod based on a figment of Nordic mythology, the bit about the possibility to reincarnate after death into wolf, crow or mountain troll, so of course the mod was about transforming into those beings for extra gameplay options (wolf is fast and has strong melee attack, crow can fly, mountain troll is nigh-immortal and strong but moves slowly, and well, basic human form can use weapons). Idk if there's any way this could be worked into Doom gameplay, or mod like Demonsteele :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Keiya posted:

I really can't decide which I like better of 99 and 2k4, there's good aspects to both of them that the other lacks.

I played and loved both, but for me, the clear winner is 2k4. It had everything, without sacrificing much, if anything (my memory is fuzzy and I can't remember what they took away from 99, help?). New modes, vehicles for maps that supported them, more weapons... I just loved it so much, and wish they'd just put out a 2k4 HD version. However, I haven't been following the new one, is that what's happening? If not, why not?

Anyone here play Unreal Championship? You know what I hate about a FPS? It being eventually made into a third-person melee combat game. :colbert:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I played and loved both, but for me, the clear winner is 2k4. It had everything, without sacrificing much, if anything (my memory is fuzzy and I can't remember what they took away from 99, help?). New modes, vehicles for maps that supported them, more weapons... I just loved it so much, and wish they'd just put out a 2k4 HD version. However, I haven't been following the new one, is that what's happening? If not, why not?

Anyone here play Unreal Championship? You know what I hate about a FPS? It being eventually made into a third-person melee combat game. :colbert:

Hey man they tried something different for consoles, it was alright :shobon:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Unreal Championship 1 is literally just UT2k3 on the Xbox, UC2 is a pretty good game even with the new design around melee combat, since the melee isn't overpowered or anything.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Woah gently caress, Red Faction 2 is SO bad. Jesus what happened.

edit: haha the team member doing a bad Jason Statham impression is actually Jason Statham.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 26, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

I was going to add pallete-swap variants into X3 for the various new and creepy children's cartoon fandoms that have emerged over the years since the first version, but I couldn't remember the sound pitch settings I used or imitate the voice with quite the right consistency. :(
The obvious solution, to me, is that each fanbase gets a unique goofy voice.

Undertale fans could just play the Sans voice clip over and over, for instance.

I just loved it so much, and wish they'd just put out a 2k4 HD version.
I mean, it was a PC-only game that already supported HD resolutions from the onset - I spent most of my UT2K4 time running the game at 1680x1050 - and frankly it still looks fine, even 12 years on.

Then again, I'm a guy who's still a sucker for the first Unreal's comparatively simplistic lighting, despite lighting in video games having advanced considerably over the years.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm a bit behind on this thread, but I noticed on twitter that there's a big new version of Arcane Dimensions for Quake in the works with another 4-5 maps and a few new monsters. So that's good.

Also, anyone else notice that a SHITLOAD of Doom stuff has been released these past few months alone? The Cacowards are going to be heavily contested this year if the pace keeps up. I notice that the fifth and final episode of Strange Aeons rolled out too, along with a patch.

Even some of the April Fools stuff was legit good. DooD wins for pure silly jokeyness, but The Golden Souls 2: Gameboy Edition had some serious love and effort put into it.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 26, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

laserghost posted:

Well, there's always Northern Darkness for inspiration!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3q7rGOY9tE

I remember reading somewhere on a planned Quake mod based on a figment of Nordic mythology, the bit about the possibility to reincarnate after death into wolf, crow or mountain troll, so of course the mod was about transforming into those beings for extra gameplay options (wolf is fast and has strong melee attack, crow can fly, mountain troll is nigh-immortal and strong but moves slowly, and well, basic human form can use weapons). Idk if there's any way this could be worked into Doom gameplay, or mod like Demonsteele :v:

Cyan corpsepaint violates article 4, section 33a the Official Black Metal Handbook. He has 666 hours to correct his corpsepaint and sacrifice a goat to Euronymous or his corsepaint license will be revoked.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

New video of Duke Forces, looks sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wdc6153a5c

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dominic White posted:

Also, anyone else notice that a SHITLOAD of Doom stuff has been released these past few months alone? The Cacowards are going to be heavily contested this year if the pace keeps up. I notice that the fifth and final episode of Strange Aeons rolled out too, along with a patch.

Even some of the April Fools stuff was legit good. DooD wins for pure silly jokeyness, but The Golden Souls 2: Gameboy Edition had some serious love and effort put into it.

What are your favs of these 2016 releases? I'll put 'em on the 'ol to-play list. Japanese Community Project is the only one I've downloaded recently. I've also got No Sleep For The Dead, and forgot Romero's map came out this year.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 26, 2016

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

edit: haha the team member doing a bad Jason Statham impression is actually Jason Statham.

I have a real soft spot for RF2 because of the split-screen multiplayer (customizable bots! played for many hours with friends and siblings), but yeah the single player is a trainwreck. It's really weird how it has almost nothing to do with the first game beyond 'nanotechnology' and gimped the geomod. i really wonder what went down at Volition between the two games that led to RF2.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

However, I haven't been following the new one, is that what's happening? If not, why not?

They talk it up like it'll EVENTUALLY be that, but honestly i don't think it'll ever reach that point.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

laserghost posted:

New video of Duke Forces, looks sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wdc6153a5c

What... what am I watching?! :psyduck: I cant parse if this is good or not, its just scrambling my brain. I think I want to like it but I dont know!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I honestly don't think it's that bad at all. It doesn't really go with the whole theme the first one established, but there was a ton of variety in what you end up doing so it doesn't really get stale. There's also no forced stealth mission so that's a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Bro Team Pill's review of Red Faction 2 is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQePbEGH2Qo