Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
have i missed a bonfire or is it really that long a run through the untended graves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I think Majula is a better hub than DS3 Firelink :(

I like the Majula music a lot, though DS1 Firelink and the Nexus are still my favorite hubs.

I have a moderately-sized list of things I don't really like about DS2, though. Like, it's a good game, it just isn't for me and I don't enjoy playing it nearly as much as I enjoy all of the others in the series.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jose posted:

have i missed a bonfire or is it really that long a run through the untended graves?

Nope there's only one

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Solution fairy;

Random invades removed from game, red eye orb only tool for invasion now. Red eye orb now changes based on your active covenants. Blue cop covenants now use red eye orb to actively hunt for an invasion. Covenants will receive relevant rewards for their active covenant when they invade. 2 red phantoms prioritized in games where there is more than 1 white phantom.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a fairly easy sprint unless you stop to summon, anyway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah now i'm going directly through it it doesn't seem as long

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

NTT posted:

Solution fairy;

Random invades removed from game, red eye orb only tool for invasion now. Red eye orb now changes based on your active covenants. Blue cop covenants now use red eye orb to actively hunt for an invasion. Covenants will receive relevant rewards for their active covenant when they invade. 2 red phantoms prioritized in games where there is more than 1 white phantom.

mound makers stays the way it is now because its perfect

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Babe Magnet posted:

then how do you explain the video where they adjusted the value and poise is clearly working as it's worked in every other souls game? You say that its more noticable with some actions and weapons than others, but have you actually used a majority of weapons or just greatweapons? because a lot of weapons straight up do not have hyper armor.

gently caress, the caestus' weapon art is supposed to give you poise, and it doesn't have hyper armor. You can't say "oh well its supposed to be used in your offhand" because when you use the caestus in your left hand it's does a parry instead of its art. I think the regular mace is the same way. That video just demonstrates what poise does right now. It's not turned off completely, it's just not doing what is seems like its supposed to (due to some weapon arts, especially ones that don't give you hyper armor on attacks) in a major case.

You talk about your poise build but then you go on to say that you just parry or trade. Those have nothing to do with poise, unless your "trade" means that their attack just continues through you instead of staggering you, and if that's the case I'd like to see someone demonstrate that happening when they're not in the middle of an attack designed specifically to allow that to happen.

*someone posts a video on what poise does and how its current implementation into the game is wholly intentional*

NO BUT IT'S BROKEN I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT BECAUSE SOMEONE TOOK THE GAME APART!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I feel comfortable calling DS3 Poise broken since the fix seems quite easy for From to implement. If there's some long-lasting, not readily apparent problem with enabling it that we're not aware of, well, that sounds broken to me too!

The long-lasting problem with enabling it is that it's hilariously overpowered. Turn it on and equip basically anything that increases poise beyond just your armor and you basically can't be staggered.

My guess is that it was in the code, they tried to tweak it to work, and then disabled the passive poise entirely and went for poise increasing hyperarmor during attacks/roll recovery instead. That said, I think the balance needs to be tweaked because it's too easy to be stunlocked by fast thrusting swords in PvP and groups of enemies in PvE. The type of poise you can turn on in the code isn't the answer, though--it's just too much.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Babe Magnet posted:

then how do you explain the video where they adjusted the value and poise is clearly working as it's worked in every other souls game?

The old poise mechanics still being legacy code in the game is a simple explanation. They dummied out stuff instead of removing it in several products. I mean in Xcom 2 the code for the original games perks was still in the new game, to the point that the "get a random perk as a bonus" feature might actually give you a perk from the original game that would normally be unobtainable. Code from original games gets left in new games all the time, even if its unused or unwanted.

Not saying the current implementation is intentional, but if it is, that stuff being there is simple to explain, because they simply didn't remove it when they changed the system.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

voltcatfish posted:

I think Majula is a better hub than DS3 Firelink :(

Majula was nice but it also sucked because the blacksmith NPC that did infusions never moved there. That's one thing from DeS I'm glad they didn't bring back again.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

CJacobs posted:

*someone posts a video on what poise does and how its current implementation into the game is wholly intentional*

NO BUT IT'S BROKEN I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT BECAUSE SOMEONE TOOK THE GAME APART!!

hi cjacobs how are you doing i hope you're feeling well today

Harrow posted:

The long-lasting problem with enabling it is that it's hilariously overpowered. Turn it on and equip basically anything that increases poise beyond just your armor and you basically can't be staggered.

My guess is that it was in the code, they tried to tweak it to work, and then disabled the passive poise entirely and went for poise increasing hyperarmor during attacks/roll recovery instead. That said, I think the balance needs to be tweaked because it's too easy to be stunlocked by fast thrusting swords in PvP and groups of enemies in PvE. The type of poise you can turn on in the code isn't the answer, though--it's just too much.

I say enable it and then balance that, instead of just removing it.

Lotish posted:

The old poise mechanics still being legacy code in the game is a simple explanation. They dummied out stuff instead of removing it in several products. I mean in Xcom 2 the code for the original games perks was still in the new game, to the point that the "get a random perk as a bonus" feature might actually give you a perk from the original game that would normally be unobtainable. Code from original games gets left in new games all the time, even if its unused or unwanted.

Not saying the current implementation is intentional, but if it is, that stuff being there is simple to explain, because they simply didn't remove it when they changed the system.

If its intentional, they should have done something about items and weapons with arts that became pointless because of it. I'm trying to believe they made an error instead of the more likely alternative that they just didn't give a poo poo.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 26, 2016

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

VagueRant posted:

You know about the Dancer, right?

What weapons does the beating the dancer give you early? I know there are a few big ones, but a lot of the coolest late game weapons still require you to beat three lords of cinder before you have access. You can't get any of the weapons I mentioned in my post until very late in the game even if you beat the dancer right away.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

Majula was nice but it also sucked because the blacksmith NPC that did infusions never moved there. That's one thing from DeS I'm glad they didn't bring back again.

Counterpoint: You had to collect one coal to get all infusions, and it was in a box next to a bonfire (In SotFS at least).

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
You don't need poise if you don't get hit :chord:

........which I do, constantly, so I need poise.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What weapons does the beating the dancer give you early? I know there are a few big ones, but a lot of the coolest late game weapons still require you to beat three lords of cinder before you have access. You can't get any of the weapons I mentioned in my post until very late in the game even if you beat the dancer right away.

The Gotthard Twinswords are especially notable for this. You can technically get to where they should be before you kill the three Lords of Cinder but they won't be there until you do. They made the conscious choice that, even if you do the Dancer early, you shouldn't be able to get those until late-game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the twinswords are pretty good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gott Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Babe Magnet posted:

mound makers stays the way it is now because its perfect

Moundmakers can enter fog doors and help kill the boss for a vertebrae shackle

Or they can kill the host at the boss

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is it common to need to ember in order to survive a 2 hit combo from bosses or do I just need to get more than 24 vigor?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I can see why they wanted us to not be able to follow the host into boss rooms because if you thought dealing with a rogue purp in irithyll was bad imagine one trying to get you while you're fighting the old demon king or wolnir

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Is it confirmed that the Blue Cape Knight outside the Dancer can drop Refined Gems?

Edit: I mean past the initial one.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I can see why they wanted us to not be able to follow the host into boss rooms because if you thought dealing with a rogue purp in irithyll was bad imagine one trying to get you while you're fighting the old demon king or wolnir

But they could help you

Die quicker. :unsmigghh:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't need any help with that, thanks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jose posted:

is it common to need to ember in order to survive a 2 hit combo from bosses or do I just need to get more than 24 vigor?

Some bosses are tough like that, I'm assuming you're on Champion Gundyr

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Armor helps more than just flat out more HP does.

At least until your HP gets stupid high but why on earth would you invest in more than 25 or so vigor

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't need any help with that, thanks.

Get gooder. :colbert:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm actually very good, b itch, don't talk poo poo motherfucker

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Toiwat posted:

Is it confirmed that the Blue Cape Knight outside the Dancer can drop Refined Gems?

He did for me.

I have no idea if it's a rare drop past the first one or if he periodically "refreshes" his drop, though. I killed him once before Vordt, then again after Pontiff, and I got a Refined Gem both times, but those are literally the only times I've killed him. I have no idea if I just got crazy lucky on the second kill or if he gets a new Refined Gem to drop for you based on your progression or something.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I think it's interesting to note it's not just poise on armor that's busted, but actual absorption. My full black knight set still can't take a punch from anything without gimping me insanely.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Jose posted:

That's how the game is, especially later on. Equip the Carthus Bloodring, roll a bunch of times and chug every time you get hit and it will usually be okay since it's almost impossible to get hit during your roll, you can roll a million times, your estus is really fast and you have so many shots in the flask. Along with the equipment distribution and weapon balance, this is my biggest complaint about the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that is also how pvp works apparently

just come back friend I just want to give you a pat on the back with my fire gloves for being such a good pvper

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Your Computer posted:

If anyone else is having trouble with the Lothric Castle dragons and would like some better tips than "just run lol", I think I finally figured out how they work. They breathe fire based on their vision, but their vision isn't like most enemies in the game. You'll notice they swing their heads around a lot, and the trick is that they won't see you while they're swinging their head.

Once you've dropped down from the bridge and ran around the side path, go up against this wall and wait for the dragon to start swinging its head, then run. If you run while it's head is down/not swinging it will immediately see you as soon as you get to the top of the stairs and you won't make it halfway across the courtyard before getting roasted (the problem I was having).

I knew there had to be a trick to it, and by doing this you'll get through 100% of the time without taking any fire damage.

Alternatively: bring a +6 bow and plink away at the first dragon and the second one "dies" at the same time

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Harrow posted:

He did for me.

I have no idea if it's a rare drop past the first one or if he periodically "refreshes" his drop, though. I killed him once before Vordt, then again after Pontiff, and I got a Refined Gem both times, but those are literally the only times I've killed him. I have no idea if I just got crazy lucky on the second kill or if he gets a new Refined Gem to drop for you based on your progression or something.

Well poo poo.

No I can confirm it's not based on progression because lately I've been farming him long enough to be drowning in Lotrhic Knight equipment. I could outfit my own small army.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Toiwat posted:

He literally dropped two refined gems for me on my first kill on him on a fresh character, so yeah he can drop multiple.

edit: As in, I got the guaranteed one as well as a random drop gem at the same time. If you started as Knight though, you'll probably need to get some item-find gear to get a decent shot at them.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 26, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jade Mage posted:

I think it's interesting to note it's not just poise on armor that's busted, but actual absorption. My full black knight set still can't take a punch from anything without gimping me insanely.

from what i saw it seemed to work for some things but not others. i would get hit for like 50-100 by some attacks that used to do 250-300 in the early game, but no matter how much resist/absorb i had, the knights in LC that enchant their own weapons would hit me for like 700

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Toiwat posted:

Well poo poo.

No I can confirm it's not based on progression because lately I've been farming him long enough to be drowning in Lotrhic Knight equipment. I could outfit my own small army.

Then gently caress, I got insanely lucky on the second kill. Or it was a bug and something behind the scenes reset and the game thought it was my first kill. I do know that he's the only Refined Gem source available until like Lothric Castle, though, and I have two Refined weapons, so I definitely did kill him once very early.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
FOR FUCKS SAKE WATCHDOGS JUST LET ME INVADE ALREADY loving poo poo. IS there any way to make this more bearable other than farming those three assholes outside the Ruins bonfire for Swordgrass? This character is too early in the game for item discovery stacking.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the only way I can imagine it would be any more bearable is to fart them while also wearing the covenant item

the auto-invade covenants are hosed. Isn't there something about them in the new patch notes though?

e: I meant "farm them" but what I actually posted owns too so I'm not going to edit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You're screwed. There's one PVP hotspot in this game and that is not it.

It will probably not be fixed.