Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Narmi posted:

We only ever saw three to begin with - spear, whip and knife. Spear ad whip were one the ship, knife stayed in Dorne and knifed Areo in the back.

One of my favorite things is how the show runners made this long video a couple years back talking about all the weapons they made for the show. They went into detail about Areo Hotah's poleaxe and how it needed to be super bad rear end because Hotah was so feared and awesome and they needed to convey that with a unique and imposing weapon.

What I'm saying is that the show runners have no loving clue what they are doing and are just relishing in the fame of being a part of such a big project. They stopped giving a poo poo way back and are just coasting on fumes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Jean Eric Burn posted:

It's actually kinda remarkable that the biggest TV show has no 20-40yr old male protagonist for at least a few episodes. Or am I forgetting someone? I probably am.

Bran is 40.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
they should just have davos say apologies for what you're about to see before every dorne scene

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jean Eric Burn posted:

It's actually kinda remarkable that the biggest TV show has no 20-40yr old male protagonist for at least a few episodes. Or am I forgetting someone? I probably am.

Tyrion is supposed to be under 40.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

This really highlights why Second Life needs to be purged from existence. Look at those crowd panning shots.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Jean Eric Burn posted:

I was going to say Jaime but it turns out NCW is 45. Peter Dinklage is 46, he looked so much younger in the first season though. I always thought he was in his mid-20s/early 30s to be honest.

Kit Harington is 29, he doesn't really count for the last episode I guess.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 26, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I liked the episode well enough. It was like 70% good stuff, which is well above the Season 5 standard.

-The Wall stuff was mostly solid. I liked that Alliser just admitted to cold shanking the old boss while introducing Bowen Marsh and Othell Yarwyck. It would've helped his motivation a lot if there had actually been any conflict between the Night's Watch and the Wildling refugees and also if the Wildlings hadn't apparently already passed through Castle Black and peacefully gone on their way, but the show doesn't seem big on motivating its bad guys anymore. Also did Davos react at all to Stannis' defeat last season? It seems like something that ought to have come up.

-Ramsay actually experienced a setback and expressed a non-sadistic emotion, and Roose gave him a long lecture. Any Michael McElhatton screentime is good time, and I know I'm going to be upset by Ramsay's heavily foreshadowed patricide. :(

-The redemption of Reek continues to be excellent. I'm a bit annoyed that Brienne's decision to kill Stannis rather than save Sansa had zero consequences, but I think we all saw it coming. It's a lucky Ramsay hadn't sent any of his Good Men, I guess.

-I liked Jaime's little "gently caress everyone" speech. I assume he's gonna head for the Riverlands and ditch Cersei and Tommen in their precarious situation, and I have no idea how that'll happen, but in a vacuum, it's a fine scene.

-Tyrion and Varys devoted more time to pondering the logistics of the Sons of the Harpy than the entirety of Season 5 and got in some banter. The burning fleet was just another plot beat on the checklist, but the rest of the scene was nice.

-I didn't find Dany's scene all that rankling. Rapey soldiers are a staple of the ASOIAF universe, and I enjoyed the Khal sassing out with his bros. It was a bit weird that he immediately accepted her as Drogo's widow, I guess.

-The Sand Snakes simultaneously killing Oberyn's brother and his nephew in broad daylight and easily prevented situations is the obvious follow-up to the S5 finale, in retrospect. I hope they continue to kill innocent characters in increasingly contrived scenarios, preferably ignoring an opportunity to attack Jaime every single time. By my projections, Ellaria will murder, rape and kill the children of Elia's sister-in-law in the series finale, and D&D will be completely baffled when someone suggests that it's an intentional parallel.

-The Melisandre reveal was a good capstone. I was a bit let down she just had the body of a healthy old women, instead of being all desiccated or covered in scars and slave brands or something.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

-I liked Jaime's little "gently caress everyone" speech. I assume he's gonna head for the Riverlands and ditch Cersei and Tommen in their precarious situation, and I have no idea how that'll happen, but in a vacuum, it's a fine scene.

I don't disagree with your other points, but Jaime was shown to be facing off against the High Sparrow and his followers in the trailers, so it looks like the Riverlands campaign has been called off.

e; The trailer for the next episode shows Cersei and Robert Strong going against a bunch of Lannister guards too, disobeying the king's orders (whatever those are), so it looks like Cersei is going for some sort of power grab. Most likely it will make things worse since it looks like she's going to starts killing Lannister soldiers.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 26, 2016

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Narmi posted:

I was going to say Jaime but it turns out NCW is 45. Peter Dinklage is 46, he looked so much younger in the first season though. I always thought he was in his mid-20s/early 30s to be honest.

Kit Harington is 29, he doesn't really count for the last episode I guess.

Joffrey brought up Jaime's age a few years ago as an insult. Something like "You're a 40 year old knight with one hand. How can you protect me?"

Narmi posted:

I don't disagree with your other points, but Jaime was shown to be facing off against the High Sparrow and his followers in the trailers, so it looks like the Riverlands campaign has been called off.

This is so weird. Is he ever going to break up with Cersei and continue on his character growth arc that stopped at Season 3?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The khal believing Dany is not that far fetched, in my opinion. She decisively establishes herself as something very different from the pathetic thing everyone thought she was, which makes it at least slightly more likely she is telling the truth.

On top of that/ I suspect the value of her as a slave is far outweighed by the consequence, real or imagined, if she is telling the truth and is unheeded. Since the safest route, shipping her off to Vaes Dothrak, costs relatively nothing, it's by far the most prudent action even if he has his doubts.

Not saying it would not have been a little more believable to share some of that thought process, but *smoke bomb* tv constraints.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Narmi posted:

It hasn't. The location was photographed during filming and it's in the trailer.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Enigma posted:

The khal believing Dany is not that far fetched, in my opinion. She decisively establishes herself as something very different from the pathetic thing everyone thought she was, which makes it at least slightly more likely she is telling the truth.

On top of that/ I suspect the value of her as a slave is far outweighed by the consequence, real or imagined, if she is telling the truth and is unheeded. Since the safest route, shipping her off to Vaes Dothrak, costs relatively nothing, it's by far the most prudent action even if he has his doubts.

Not saying it would not have been a little more believable to share some of that thought process, but *smoke bomb* tv constraints.

I didn't think him believing her was that far fetched, but the way she convinced him was completely nonsensical.

Every living soul in that entire region knows about Dany and her conquest. Dany also has specific, unique features because she is Targaryen.
She was also wearing clothes fit for a queen (albeit ragged) and a loving dragon necklace. She also spoke Dothraki.
Drogo and his prize wife would have been well-known, and the khal that finds her in the book is even Drogo's former lieutenant.

But no, they had to throw all logic out of the window for the sake of a dramatic reveal.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I would've been cool with that scene if he had suspected who she was right away and her speaking up just confirmed it. Easy fix.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Lycus posted:

I would've been cool with that scene if he had suspected who she was right away and her speaking up just confirmed it. Easy fix.

That's exactly how I thought it was going to play out until they showed the khal was genuinely oblivious.
The whole massive stampede of Dorthraki circling her for dramatic effect is just something they do every time they happen to find someone?

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

They're back for another season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJWwSDACYI

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Enigma posted:

But she says all those things to him and he just doesn't care.
Then she basically says it again and he's like oh whoa okay!!!!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I think the show creators realized they had too many separate plot lines going at once and needed to wrap some up to better focus the story as it nears the ultimate conclusion. The way they handled Dorne was clunky and made the whole plotline seem pointless in hindsight, but I do think it's promising that the show runners are showing an actual willingness to tighten up the sprawling narrative instead of letting it multiply POVs like the books have.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

They show the prop for the letter to Doran (reddit has a link) where Jaime is informing him of Myrcella's death and requesting the execution of Ellaria and sand snakes to make it right. He also mentions he is sending back Trystane as a gesture of good will so that's how they got to him so fast I guess, he was already back.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Taear posted:

But she says all those things to him and he just doesn't care.
Then she basically says it again and he's like oh whoa okay!!!!

The only thing he cared about was her being a khal's widow. From what I remember, she left out of her curriculum vitae the only part her audience would remotely give a poo poo about. She brought up Drogo after everyone rightly laughed at her.

Why she even had to bring any of that up in the first place, I agree, is just stupid. She's probably the most recognizable person on the entire continent.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

canepazzo posted:

They show the prop for the letter to Doran (reddit has a link) where Jaime is informing him of Myrcella's death and requesting the execution of Ellaria and sand snakes to make it right. He also mentions he is sending back Trystane as a gesture of good will so that's how they got to him so fast I guess, he was already back.

That actually makes more sense. Of course Ellaria had to know ahead of time that the letter was going to be delivered at that exact moment.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

canepazzo posted:

He wasn't. He was outside king's landing making googly eyes for Myrcella's funeral.

Let's put this to rest, this is a shot of Jaime arriving at King's Landing:

This is the establishing shot before Trystane's murder:

The above shot cuts to Trystane inside the ship making the eyes:

If you also compare the windows in the room where Trystane dies and the room where Myrcella dies they're clearly from the same location, they were on the same ship and he was killed outside of King's Landing.

And the sand snakes are Mermaids. QED.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

kater posted:

The best part is I started watching it all optimistic, and didn't make it out of the previews without being reminded how dumb it is. Horrible Bow Woman (Why is she holding someone up from four feet away with a bow?) dies because she fell like 15 feet, but Theon and Sansa make a 40 foot drop just fine? Okay sure.

this is literally the dumbest complaint I have ever seen someone make about this show

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Unzip and Attack posted:

One of my favorite things is how the show runners made this long video a couple years back talking about all the weapons they made for the show. They went into detail about Areo Hotah's poleaxe and how it needed to be super bad rear end because Hotah was so feared and awesome and they needed to convey that with a unique and imposing weapon.

"We put a snake on it."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He wasn't. He was outside king's landing making googly eyes for Myrcella's funeral.

Let's put this to rest, this is a shot of Jaime arriving at King's Landing:

This is the establishing shot before Trystane's murder:

The above shot cuts to Trystane inside the ship making the eyes:

If you also compare the windows in the room where Trystane dies and the room where Myrcella dies they're clearly from the same location, they were on the same ship and he was killed outside of King's Landing.

And the sand snakes are Mermaids. QED.

The entire thing was terribly executed and completely confusing. I'm not even trying to make sense out of it. Some people died, RIP. I almost wonder if they were going to film something more complicated or filmed something more complicated and then tried to cut it down in editing.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Melisandre at a baby shower

http://youtu.be/-5C6kG57J7Q

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

This is so weird. Is he ever going to break up with Cersei and continue on his character growth arc that stopped at Season 3?

He reacted to his first child's death by brutally raping his sister. When the second one died, he talked to his sister about their bond and his loyalty to her. How much more growth do you need?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Nuebot posted:

So what makes Oberyn so great then?
He had concrete goals and was working to achieve them. He was charming, daring, passionate, and savvy. He oozed sex appeal. His flamboyant fighting style was an effective contrast to the behemoth juggernaut that was the Mountain. You could watch their duel with the sound off and learn everything you need to know about who they are and their relationship.

And the acting was really solid. Oberyn benefited from being paired up with some of the series best actors/characters.

Contrast that with the Sand Snakes who are like fan fiction versions of Oberyn, deliberately similar on a superficial level (sexy, non-traditional weapons, Doing Things) but completely soulless and confusing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Oberyn also held a relatively sane worldview: Don't kill babies and children, and don't hold the sins of their parents against them. This lesson was lost on his partner and daughters, apparently.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Max posted:

Oberyn also held a relatively sane worldview: Don't kill babies and children, and don't hold the sins of their parents against them. This lesson was lost on his partner and daughters, apparently.

The last Ellaria/Jaime scene was her explaining that Dornishmen don't kill innocents and children, how those were some of Oberyn's core principles and how sympathetic she is towards Jaime and Cersei's forbidden love. It's somewhat offset by her already having attempted to murder Jaime's daughter for the sin of her grandfather, and learning that she was scheming to kill her, as well as her own peace-seeking uncle and innocent cousin. I'm not sure she was supposed to be lying, either, since she had nothing to gain from getting Jaime on her side and she was super bratty to Doran in the next scene.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Also, after Robb died, there really wasn't anyone viewers could hang their hopes on the get justice against the Lannisters, especially Tywin. He was someone people could root for.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
GRRM saw the fan reactions to Oberyn and thought "oh they like him cause he's cocky and sexy!" so he went and wrote Darkstar, which sucked. D&D saw the fan reactions to Oberyn and to Pedro Pascal and thought... poo poo I don't know what they thought, probably that people like accents, flowery silken robes and swarthy people cause everything that happened in Dorne failed to hit any single beat that made Pedro's Oberyn so drat fun and fantastic to watch, he was passionate, he was capricious, he had sympathetic goals and he had the fighting skills to challenge the biggest dog in the kennel... what did we get from Dorne that resonated with any of that? In retrospect we find that Oberyn's paramour is a terrible woman and that he raised three psychopath daughters which retroactively makes Oberyn himself slightly less cool.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

He reacted to his first child's death by brutally raping his sister. When the second one died, he talked to his sister about their bond and his loyalty to her. How much more growth do you need?

Director said that wasn't rape and Cersei actually really wanted it.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Director said that wasn't rape and Cersei actually really wanted it.

Directed by Bill Cosby

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Max posted:

We do not kill little girls in Dorne.

Cut to Title:

"The Gang Kills A Little Girl in Dorne"

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

^ oops didnt read

Max posted:

Reminds me of the oberyn line in season 3 about how they dont kill little children in dorne

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dongicus posted:

^ oops didnt read

Reminds me of the oberyn line in season 3 about how they dont kill little children in dorne

Season 4, and yeah, that was what I was referring to.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

retard strike 1: didnt read the post above me

retard strike 2: quoted the wrong guy

retard strike 3: i wrote all the dorne stuff

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

the trump tutelage posted:

He had concrete goals and was working to achieve them. He was charming, daring, passionate, and savvy. He oozed sex appeal. His flamboyant fighting style was an effective contrast to the behemoth juggernaut that was the Mountain. You could watch their duel with the sound off and learn everything you need to know about who they are and their relationship.

And the acting was really solid. Oberyn benefited from being paired up with some of the series best actors/characters.

Contrast that with the Sand Snakes who are like fan fiction versions of Oberyn, deliberately similar on a superficial level (sexy, non-traditional weapons, Doing Things) but completely soulless and confusing.

The great thing about Oberyn was really just this:

He's badass, he's justified in what he's doing, and he sympathizes with Tyrion who is everyone's favorite. But ultimately he dies tragically because of his own hubris. He's pretty much perfect.

If Oberyn had won and continued walking around dominating, everyone would hate his guts. The fact that he lost just makes him more likable.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

The great thing about Oberyn was really just this:

He's badass, he's justified in what he's doing, and he sympathizes with Tyrion who is everyone's favorite. But ultimately he dies tragically because of his own hubris. He's pretty much perfect.

If Oberyn had won and continued walking around dominating, everyone would hate his guts. The fact that he lost just makes him more likable.

I really wish they could have worked that "snakes have no arms" line in to the show, because it was such a good way to end that chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
This may be a stupid question at this point, but is Stannis 100% for-sure dead? We never saw the actual act of killing, nor did we see a body. I know Stephen Dillane wasn't credited in this episode, but does that mean he is out for the whole season/show now?

• Locked thread