Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I like how they are using actual existing mods as examples unlike the Skyrim video where they just made up a bunch of really silly sounding mods that sadly never actually became true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what was the mod that had the spider tank thing?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Love that horse armor

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
This is the actual announcement page:

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4-creation-kit/2016/04/26/114

quote:

For Fallout 4, our goal was to make Mods easier and more accessible than ever before – for both the creators and the players. By building an all-new system with Bethesda.net we’ve made a huge leap forward in achieving that.

You can now browse and search for the latest and greatest Mods, choose your favorites, post feedback, and install them – all within the game. Simply select Mods from the main menu, and start browsing.

If you want to try making Mods (and we think everybody should), the Creation Kit – the same tool that we used to create Fallout 4 – is a free download via the Bethesda.net launcher. You can check out the Creation Kit Wiki, our online documentation and help file, for more details and tips on how to make them.

We plan to update and evolve Mods and the Creation Kit based on your experiences so be sure to leave feedback in our forums.

How to access the 1.5 Update in Steam Beta:

Right Click on Fallout 4 in your Library
Select Properties
Select Betas
A drop down menu will appear. Select beta
Wait a few minutes and Fallout 4 should update
When done, Fallout 4 should appear as Fallout 4 [Beta] in your Library
For console players, Mods will be coming to Xbox One in May and PlayStation 4 in June. We have a lot to do yet, but we hope it changes console gaming the way it has changed PC.

Finally, we’d like to thank all the Modders who volunteered to beta test the Creation Kit and Mods during our closed beta. Your feedback has been invaluable and we couldn’t have done it without you. For them and for all our players, we can’t wait to see what you create.

spartan885
Aug 2, 2012
Very excited for the release of 1.5. Not sure if I should wait to mod until the release so I don't end up with broken poo poo, or just start anways and hope everything works.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does this mean I'm gonna need a gd bethesda account to launch fallout and get mods, or can I get mods just using the standard launcher and only need the bethesda acount/launcher for publishing mods?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
I'd guess that the Bethesda thing is their way of filtering out mods they don't approve of. Can still likely get mods from the Nexus, too.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Azhais posted:

Does this mean I'm gonna need a gd bethesda account to launch fallout and get mods, or can I get mods just using the standard launcher and only need the bethesda acount/launcher for publishing mods?

Unless they completely redesigned the way the engine looks for content anything you (or a mod manager) types into the plugins.txt file should still load; I'd be willing to bet it's just an integrated mod manager. The question is going to be whether it will start overwriting the plugins.txt file without asking and making us jump through hoops to enable (and stay enabled) mods added outside of Bethesda's interface.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
WTF

Does this have a cockpit to ride in?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

LumberingTroll posted:

WTF

I dunno but if I can't have it now I will literally kick a puppy.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

You can download mods from Nexus and load them with a mod manager before starting the game, just like before. To load mods from in-game, you'd need a Bethesda account, but that shouldn't matter if you're using NMM or MO2.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

QuantaStarFire posted:

You can download mods from Nexus and load them with a mod manager before starting the game, just like before. To load mods from in-game, you'd need a Bethesda account, but that shouldn't matter if you're using NMM or MO2.

Good, good. When you guys said "Bethesda Launcher" I started getting horrible uPlay flashbacks.

When the beta is over and some of the mods are updated to real GECK style I'm gonna start back up on Survival mode. Should be great/horrible.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The only thing to keep in mind is mod managers need to be updated since they changed the way mods are loaded. I think NMM is updated already, which leaves MO2 needing to update to account for the change. You can do it manually by editing plugins.txt and putting a * next to each mod, but when you have 100 mods, well...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Looking forward to Bethesda getting more directly involved in the mod scene because the only logical conclusion is a Todd Howard's Waifu of the Week feature

QuantaStarFire posted:

The only thing to keep in mind is mod managers need to be updated since they changed the way mods are loaded. I think NMM is updated already, which leaves MO2 needing to update to account for the change. You can do it manually by editing plugins.txt and putting a * next to each mod, but when you have 100 mods, well...

Also the changes will be reset every time you play the game, and even then it's not guaranteed to work. Unless something has changed.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Working on some mods! I'm going to continue to pursue a "real dumb" vision for this weapon. Additional mods will include "another knife" and "maximum knives" (3 knives? A possible fourth duct taped to the handle???).

Getting it properly scaled sure is a pain in the rear end. Might need to redo some stuff in blender. Also, going to need to spend a day just learning how to smash everything together to actually get it to work.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So who's gonna make the shotgun axe?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
That video looked pretty benign, anyone that's modded Morrowind or Skyrim already is super-pros compared to how people are going to be on the PS4 and Xbox, this is meant for them. Since there is no Steam Workshop this go-around for Fallout 4 this takes that place. Everyone else that gets into the insane modding does it through external tools, script extenders and nude mods 4k textures.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Full Dialogue Interface has been updated to support the new 1.5 Beta patch. Be sure to read the included instructions, as a few things have changed with this update. Namely, to circumvent UI mods not working with the Beta patch, the update includes a recompiled Interface.ba2 with FDI's files as well as the revised .strings files.

Not sure what to do with the Traits and More Perks mod yet, with the release of the GECK. There doesn't seem to be any documentation at the moment regarding how to modify the perk chart or where its data is stored in the GECK. Might be something they're holding off for the full release, but I haven't found it yet.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the fact that the geck is out and you can just use it seems like a really closely kept secret right now and it's weird.

also

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Saw that yesterday, all their level design tutorials being empty doesn't really seem to surprising.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's really strange that they'd port a lot of Skyrim's articles over but didn't bother with the tutorials. Makes me wonder if they're planning new ones or something.

Cirosan posted:

Not sure what to do with the Traits and More Perks mod yet, with the release of the GECK. There doesn't seem to be any documentation at the moment regarding how to modify the perk chart or where its data is stored in the GECK. Might be something they're holding off for the full release, but I haven't found it yet.

It'd be really dumb if they ended up removing perk chart editing considering it was already a feature in the Skyrim CK, but it could also be a case where Skyrim's CK got that feature in a forked version (since it didn't come until later) while Fallout 4 was in active development and needs to be added in again.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 28, 2016

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Your daily dose of :nexus:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12498/

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Al! posted:

the fact that the geck is out and you can just use it seems like a really closely kept secret right now and it's weird.

also

Its till in closed beta, there are a lot of bugs, layout issues, and WTF moments in it still.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

LumberingTroll posted:

Its till in closed beta, there are a lot of bugs, layout issues, and WTF moments in it still.

Geck is in Open beta now, if i recall

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Rrussom posted:

Geck is in Open beta now, if i recall

I thought it was just that version of the engine? If so cool. Last I looked at it was still pretty rough, but I am not really a modder, not nearly enough time to do that.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Ugh, this update... Pretty sure it broke MO2. Asterisks aren't doing anything. Do they go in front of each mod in plugins.txt?

Edit: A fix for MO2 is in the works, anyway. Probably best to lay low until this is all sorted out. I have to keep telling myself that it'll all be worth it when console users can download a new gun or a nude body model.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 28, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

I thought it was just that version of the engine? If so cool. Last I looked at it was still pretty rough, but I am not really a modder, not nearly enough time to do that.

Yeah, like I said its in open beta but even you who posted in this thread a bunch didn't know it was available to the public. I mean look it's not a family friendly tool and you're going to have to do a ton of your own legwork to figure it out but it's weird to me that they just kind of quietly stuck it out there.

That said I'm pretty excited to play with it some more because Ive had an idea I wanted to try for a really long time.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Alasyre posted:

Ugh, this update... Pretty sure it broke MO2. Asterisks aren't doing anything. Do they go in front of each mod in plugins.txt?

Edit: A fix for MO2 is in the works, anyway. Probably best to lay low until this is all sorted out. I have to keep telling myself that it'll all be worth it when console users can download a new gun or a nude body model.

Ah, this might explain why my armour mods weren't working any more! I was about to ask why it suddenly stopped working.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Alasyre posted:

Yeah, like I said before I dont think the asterisks thing is going away.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Has Place Everywhere stopped working since the update for anyone else? I installed F4SE 0.1.13 and I still can't get it working.

EDIT: Nevermind - I found a newer version of Place Everywhere.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 29, 2016

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Wow the wiki for the FO4 editor is literally useless. I thought I'd start small, maybe try to change a weapon or something, but I can't even figure out where to start.

e: ok I figured out where to start, but goddam this is complicated.

boneration fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 29, 2016

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

Most of the documentation for the editor ends up coming from the community, but for now you can rely on old Skyrim tutorials as the general idea is the same.

Looks like there are two solutions to the "mods not enabled" issue. First and easiest is to just enable the mods using the in-game menu. However it looks like load order isn't preserved when you restart the game. Second option is to download a bat file off NM and run it before running your game, but once again load order gets messed up.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Skyrim tutorial has you start with a cell called aaaMarkers that also exists in FO4, but I am not even close to understanding what they mean yet. Am I safe to delete them or do I need to make sure they are there whether I know what they are or not?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

The Skyrim tutorial has you start with a cell called aaaMarkers that also exists in FO4, but I am not even close to understanding what they mean yet. Am I safe to delete them or do I need to make sure they are there whether I know what they are or not?

Iirc, it's never a good idea to delete stuff in parent plugins since other plugins can reference those objects, causing problems if they're absent (like crashes). Disable objects instead, since disabled objects still technically exist and thus the game won't pitch a fit if some mod tries to perform an operation on them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

QuantaStarFire posted:

Iirc, it's never a good idea to delete stuff in parent plugins since other plugins can reference those objects, causing problems if they're absent (like crashes). Disable objects instead, since disabled objects still technically exist and thus the game won't pitch a fit if some mod tries to perform an operation on them.

Sorry, I left out an important piece of detail: it has you start by duplicating that cell so you can start with a blank interior cell. Does this still hold true in that case?

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Does bethesda.net work like Steam Workshop does? That is to say, can we add them to the game, repackage them for MO2, and then remove them?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

Sorry, I left out an important piece of detail: it has you start by duplicating that cell so you can start with a blank interior cell. Does this still hold true in that case?

I don't think it matters when you duplicate the cell, no.

Alasyre posted:

Does bethesda.net work like Steam Workshop does? That is to say, can we add them to the game, repackage them for MO2, and then remove them?

Pretty much, yeah, but if you're going to that effort you may as well use Nexus instead of BethNet.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 29, 2016

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

LumberingTroll posted:

WTF

From what I heard Fallout 4 was supposed to have cars and mountable vehicles. Pretty sure Vertibirds are a legacy of that. So making giant mecha is totally a possibility.

Also what mod is that from?

quote:

You can now browse and search for the latest and greatest Mods, choose your favorites, post feedback, and install them – all within the game. Simply select Mods from the main menu, and start browsing.

Call me paranoid, but after the "pay for mods (and we get a cut!)" fiasco I kind of would rather rely on Nexus and other sites, toxic as they are. Seeing the next TES come along only to have that sort of crap built in would pretty much be terrible given how much time i've put into the well built TES games.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or explained before (I generally skim read the thread), but if you are using Mod Organizer 2 and your mods have stopped working with the latest 1.5 update, you need to sign in to Bethesda.net through the Mods option and then you can reselect your mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or explained before (I generally skim read the thread), but if you are using Mod Organizer 2 and your mods have stopped working with the latest 1.5 update, you need to sign in to Bethesda.net through the Mods option and then you can reselect your mods.

At which point it tells you it needs to reload your data files, and then closes the game or crashes to desktop, that part wasn't clear.

• Locked thread