Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Puppy Time posted:

If you exist as a creator on the internet, you get feedback, whether you want it or not.

I can assure you, Doug avoids any real exposure to social media at all costs.

achillesforever6 posted:

God that's so loving lovely to do to one of their most popular and loyal contributors; especially since Lewis is the nicest guy too :smith:

To be fair, they don't HAVE to say yes since it's their studio, but like...if that was one of their stretch goals and they can't even accommodate someone they're friends with? How was that gonna work? Someone remind me, did they even make it to that goal? I don't even know why that would be a stretch goal for any reason other than they want to scam money (more money so people could....pay them money to use their studio??). I can't even remember how that goal was spun as being something beneficial for anyone but them.

Tracula posted:

I'm curious, were you the first one to really expose just how lovely Doug and the runners of CA are? I mean there was LordK[REDACTED] but he's so much worse of a human being that I don't even count him as anything and nobody should ever listen to a loving thing he says ever.

I think honestly the people that talked about it before were sort of lovely liars to begin with and no one really took them seriously (ie LordKat and Aussie Guy). Maybe some smaller folks mentioned some of the things they did, but they weren't big enough names to get much attention, or involved enough with internal politics to know just how deep the rabbit hole goes. I mean honestly no one still on the site has talked or will talk about this stuff because Michaud will absolutely strong arm them into kicking them out. And if someone is let go from the site, it's easy to just lump them into being bitter and only talking about it because they're gone. But unless you're big enough that they can't like Lewis, if you so much as complain to them you're gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Asuron posted:

Mathewmattosis explains why this is a bad idea in one of his Mario Galaxy videos, but that's not a really good idea. It's really insulting to the player and puts them off playing more rather than keep them interested.

Your other ideas I'm not too fond of either. In Dark Souls when they throw multiple enemies at you, those enemies are really weak and die in one hit, they are among the easiest enemies in the game in fact. If you take away the numbers for those mobs you basically take away any threat they have because those type of enemies only work if they have the ability to swarm you.

Your ideas feel well intentioned, but they don't really play out the way you think they do.

I don't think the "make things easier by dying" concept is inherently insulting or discouraging if you do it right, and I feel like the context is fundamentally different in a game where you're fully expected to die ad nauseum (and the game, or at least some NPCs, already look down on you to boot). Truthfully, I'm thinking less of DMC1's brutal "Congratulations, you unlocked easy mode. Switch now? :smug:" on death and more like Left4Dead's AI Director silently dropping some extra medkits when it knows you're suffering. So maybe instead of the bonfire pity party thing, you can sometimes stumble across Solaire in need of rescue. Rather than having an NPC kick the player while they're down, the player gets to see that even Solaire is having trouble with the perils of the Undead Burg and feel a bit better about their own struggle. Then you can have some jolly cooperation for a short time before he reverts back to his world again.

As for the multiple enemies, I really meant it in a much broader sense than swarms of crazed undead. Though with someone for whom the game hasn't fully clicked yet, I can absolutely imagine a mob of 4 them in close quarters not being wildly different in practice than a mob of 6. Ultimately, I was thinking more about stuff like the rooftop bombers just outside the Burg bonfire or the pair of crossbowmen on the bridge over the pig. Removing them entirely would rob the encounters of their intended trickiness while cutting their numbers in half would mostly increase the room for error while still keeping the player on their toes. Similar minor cuts to otherwise generic spawns (ie, just the ones that stand around in plain view waiting for you to show up) would be fine, I think.

Like I said though, they're all just random spitball ideas. I'm definitely more on the side of protecting DS' overall challenge, but I also don't think that it's so fragile that any minor tweak to its accessibility (and mainly targeted at the early game at that) would destroy the Official Dark Souls Experience.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

HBG I like your new product's jingle.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Like many other things, Resident Evil 4 did difficulty best by increasing the difficulty the better you played, and dying lowered it. And not telling anyone such a system even existed.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
HBG where do you live/shoot your videos? It looks like a literal warehouse.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Augus posted:

and Jim Sterling talked about Star Fox stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w2RMBrmTsk

Son of a bitch, Jim took an idea I had a long time ago: What happens if I put in multiple content that gets claimed and the entire video 100% monetized? Konami infrequently claims my MGSV videos, I wanna see what happens if I set Mario music to my chopper's arrival music.

E: Like does it get evenly split? Can I make it completely not worth the time by putting so much "We claim your video period" content in a video that they're getting percentages of a penny in revenue?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Leal posted:

Son of a bitch, Jim took an idea I had a long time ago: What happens if I put in multiple content that gets claimed and the entire video 100% monetized? Konami infrequently claims my MGSV videos, I wanna see what happens if I set Mario music to my chopper's arrival music.

E: Like does it get evenly split? Can I make it completely not worth the time by putting so much "We claim your video period" content in a video that they're getting percentages of a penny in revenue?

He actually kind of sorta did this already a long time ago too. I think the first claimant gets all of the money and locks out other people from saying its theirs for dosh?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMidHqWGQAM

And I'm loathe to mention him but loving christ. Total Biscuit did a 2-3 hour long podcast and used an official 30 second long trailer trailer for Pokemon X/Y during it and because of reasons Nintendo got to make literally all the money off of it.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Coincidentally, Campster also made a video discussing Dark Souls difficulty uploaded less than a day after GMT did his. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55dc8DGAM1s

Also, kaptainkristian made a video about the costumes and their colors colors in X-Men https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BXP5XAkPt4

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Tracula posted:

HBG where do you live/shoot your videos? It looks like a literal warehouse.
Now that I've moved out of living spare bedrooms and closets in Reading/London for a crappy job I hated, I live back where I grew up in a very small village next to a forest.

I shoot in a garage no-one can use because we widened the driveway onto the premises and made it literally impossible to park inside. I'm eventually renovating it into a proper studio but I really, really like the grimy aesthetic it currently has, so I'm taking my time with it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hbomberguy posted:

Now that I've moved out of living spare bedrooms and closets in Reading/London for a crappy job I hated, I live back where I grew up in a very small village next to a forest.

I shoot in a garage no-one can use because we widened the driveway onto the premises and made it literally impossible to park inside. I'm eventually renovating it into a proper studio but I really, really like the grimy aesthetic it currently has, so I'm taking my time with it.

Since your here, are you still serious about doing a website for games? Cause I got article ideas.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

It does have a lot more character than the typical internet commentator setup.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

Link's broken. Fixed for you.

The "git gud ecks dee" memeshit really is poison though. It's reached that level where you can't critique the game at all in many places, under any circumstances, without being bombarded with spergs accusing you of being bad at the game.

The meme is bad but the point that summons are easy mode is perfectly valid

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

BigRed0427 posted:

Since your here, are you still serious about doing a website for games? Cause I got article ideas.

Seriously, when can I pour my scary feminist gay marxist liberal agenda to hijack video games onto a proper webpage, Hbomb. You're supposed to be the other leader of our secret censorship white genocide illuminati cabal that totally exists, stop making videos with amazing visual gags and succinct writing so goons like me can make overlong articles about systemic issues in video games that I have no idea how to actually fix!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Allison, I'm just going to come out and ask this. Where did Phelous get that Krang doll? I think I've asked him in the comment section of every website he's been to. Is it a secret? Also, do you post in any other threads on SA or do you have a secret civilian side-account that's not associated with your online persona?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Hbomberguy posted:

I really dig the grimy aesthetic of it too. I can see the production values of your show evolving with every video though, I think you're doing great.

MrSlam posted:

Allison, I'm just going to come out and ask this. Where did Phelous get that Krang doll? I think I've asked him in the comment section of every website he's been to. Is it a secret? Also, do you post in any other threads on SA or do you have a secret civilian side-account that's not associated with your online persona?

It's a custom-made FX piece I bought him off of ebay as a gift. If you wanna buy one, they make 'em here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/tmnt-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mask-prop-krang-movie-cartoon-pinball-topper/131700310467

The folks make them to order, they were nice about answering e-mails and the Krang was super quality.

And no, I don't post in any other threads here. Technically this was my civilian side-account before I just said gently caress it, lol.

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 26, 2016

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Hello agian, a month ago someone posted a video for wrestling with wegreats, and durring my time away from the forums i looked at more of his videos and their very good, it remind me of a alternate universes spoony where he enjoy watching wrestling.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Jim Sterling just chewed out Star Fox Zero with his review. I feel like I'm the only sane person left on the planet, because everyone's complaining about how awful the motion controls are, but I when I played it I thought it played fine. Aiming felt like it did in Splatoon, which everyone - myself included - seemed to like just fine.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean the whole "battlefield at weird angle on one screen and cockpit on the other" thing seems pretty awkward to me

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

And no, I don't post in any other threads here. Technically this was my civilian side-account before I just said gently caress it, lol.

And we're all the better for it :D

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'd also like to thank you for finally getting me to sever ties with Firefox and migrate to Chrome, HBG. I kept meaning to do it but the possibility of no longer being bombarded by recommendations for assholes after watching your videos was the final tipping point.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 26, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Someone linked Night Mind recently, and I've been watching their videos for the last two days. It's good, creepy stuff.

That loving Hey Kids channel...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Augus posted:

I mean the whole "battlefield at weird angle on one screen and cockpit on the other" thing seems pretty awkward to me

Behind the back of a jet/tank/thing is a weird angle? I didn't find myself switching screens that often either - mostly just when I was lining up tight shots against Star Wolf or whatever.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Aiming felt like it did in Splatoon, which everyone - myself included - seemed to like just fine.

what the gently caress fantasy world are you living in

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

Splatoon's gyroscope aiming is really good.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Alaois posted:

a world where someone can have a opinion.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cyron posted:

a world where someone can have a opinion.

Andrast posted:

Splatoon's gyroscope aiming is really good.

it's the second part of that sentence that's the fantasy world. tons of people fuckin hated the gyroscope aiming

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

it's the second part of that sentence that's the fantasy world. tons of people fuckin hated the gyroscope aiming

I choose to believe that those people don't exist

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alaois posted:

There sure weren't pages and pages of reviews slamming on the game for specifically for that. I don't recall any pissy Polygon editors refusing to even review Splatoon because they were so butthurt about having to slightly tilt the gamepad.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Spiritus Nox posted:

There sure weren't pages and pages of reviews slamming on the game for specifically for that. I don't recall any pissy Polygon editors refusing to even review Splatoon because they were so butthurt about having to slightly tilt the gamepad.

i think the splatoon controls sound more better then star fox's, you also have the option to turn it off, which is funny since about star fox is the only post launch wiiu game where it force you to use a pad, so it not the best idea.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Personally i'd refuse to review Star Fox Zero because it's a loving Star Fox game in the year 2016 and nobody but crazy people could possibly care about it

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alaois posted:

Personally i'd refuse to review Star Fox Zero because it's a loving Star Fox game in the year 2016 and nobody but crazy people could possibly care about it

I'm sorry you don't like shmups?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I mean, yeah Star Fox kinda became Nintendo's answer to Sonic in terms of questionable decisions with the franchise, but I don't think it's so far gone that it'd be an automatic pass ITYOOL 2016 as a whole.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alaois posted:

This is a kinda weird thing to say

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Heh, fuckin crazies, thinking a fun game could be fun again :smug:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Heh, fuckin crazies, thinking a fun game could be fun again :smug:

Something something furry anime something something.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Miss Wallace posted:

The folks make them to order, they were nice about answering e-mails and the Krang was super quality.

Thanks! I'll buy me a Krang...when I have money again :negative:

You should show off Ash in the PYF Cat Pictures thread on the pet forum or bring your considerable expertise over to Cinema Discusso/TVIV. Or you could talk fashion over at YLLS.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think it's more because Starfox is a rail shooter, which doesn't seem like a big deal in these days.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Even as a Nintendo fangirl, I thought Jim was right on their need to innovate. I love that Nintendo is always willing to take risks with design, but not everything has to be something that changes how games work. Not everything need some new shines gimmick.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BigRed0427 posted:

Even as a Nintendo fangirl, I thought Jim was right on their need to innovate. I love that Nintendo is always willing to take risks with design, but not everything has to be something that changes how games work. Not everything need some new shines gimmick.

My issue with star fox is that there is no option for turning it off, Nintendo have been relativity good with having the option for normal controls in their higher profile games like Mario Kart or splatoon. i feel like you could of turned no a system to play it like SF64, there be more positive buzz about the game.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Lloyd might be the best show Brad has done, aside from the Cinema Snob and 80s Dan. Speaking of which, I hope he does more 80s Dan, it's been years since the last episode, and they were great fun. He turned a one off joke character into a really funny and charming show.

• Locked thread