Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Does the quad damage pickup make the right noise?

edit: Almost. No pickup noise, but the firing noise is right.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Limited amount of objects, enemies, and map segments
4 player max
Basic as hell pre-made rooms snapping to other pre-made rooms
Needing to unlock parts

Snapmap looks terrible, thanks to the devs being limited by consoles for some idiotic reason.
Hopefully it can be modded to not be stupid on PC.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blackheart posted:

They should call Snapmap Retard Maker.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

laserghost posted:

someone made a nifty gif of the snapmap toolbar:

Hahahahaha, look at that loving universal ammo pickup. Anyone see any options for specific ammo pickups? Retard 4 ended up being a more apt name than any of us could have predicted.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stuntman posted:

Hahahahaha, look at that loving universal ammo pickup. Anyone see any options for specific ammo pickups? Retard 4 ended up being a more apt name than any of us could have predicted.

I predicted it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AirRaid posted:

Also, I am constantly bemused by goons recently, when this pattern develops:

Game Dev: We are doing this thing, it's going to be great, here's some features"
Goons: Lol that's gonna suck and those features probably won't even be there
Game Dev: No really guys it's gonna be great!
Goons: Lol won't get fooled again! It's gonna suck you're just trying to cover it up
~time passes~
Game Dev: Here's a demonstration of that stuff we were talking about, here's some video of those cool features we mentioned!
Goons: OMG THIS IS AMAZING I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S SO GOOD, WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THESE COOL FEATURES

:jerkbag:

I've read this entire thread, and not a single poster ever did this. Saying the MP is poo poo and SnapMap is pretty impressive isn't really contradictory at all.

Keiya posted:

Wait, 343i managed to do it worse than Nintendo? I'm... actually legitimately amazed.

You shouldn't be amazed, 343i has been nothing but incompetent since their inception.

But it is surprising that RETARD4 somehow has a very intelligent, sensible system for searching and tagging and listing custom maps and player content, while both Mario Maker and Halo 5 completely hosed that up.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 26, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

There were plenty of people poo-pooing the game in general. The tone of the thread was pretty silly negative for some time. DOOM shall rocketh our faces.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

If we can get that faster movement speed in single player, encounters that feel like more than just monsters in a room with a key, and lots and lots of secrets, I think we're good. If the comments from controller guy in the stream reflect the design ethos, then I trust them a bit more at this point.

More recoil and knockback on shots and hits would go a long way, though.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

They should call Snapmap Retard Maker.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Did they say how many monsters you'd be able to stuff into a level?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Look at all the ivy league dropouts going ga-ga over a feature they had in the original timesplitters.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Makes sense cus people love Timesplitters

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

timesplitters more like timeSHITters

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Zaphod42 posted:

I've read this entire thread, and not a single poster ever did this. Saying the MP is poo poo and SnapMap is pretty impressive isn't really contradictory at all.

There were people making GBS threads on snap map long before the MP hate fest started. It's not just this thread though. I'm sure you'll agree the No Man's Sky thread is getting the same thing. Others too that I don't read nearly as much.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The only thing less interesting than someone being glib about how bad this game is and giving up after a week is the endless commentary on exactly that.

Talk about Doom, buttholes.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

*slams fist on table* The goon hivemind has gone too drat far with its negativity and I will not stand for it

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Mordja posted:

Did they say how many monsters you'd be able to stuff into a level?

Nothing concrete, but the limits can probably be subverted with strategically managed spawns. I imagine it's a matter of "all at once" rather than total possible encounters.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Alien Iso reminds me a lot of Doom 3 but I haven't played much of it yet. The setting* and tension are pretty cleary inspired by it.

*might just be a round-a-bout coincidence since Alien's set design lords over all "low fantasy"/Mil style sci-fi and the devs here obsessed over exactly that.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 26, 2016

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I can't wait to use snapmap to remake wow.wad

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool new little trailer thingy posted/leaked by some dude who scored it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnshyDdwYw8

(edit: woops removed already. It was pretty cool!)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 26, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Apparently SnapMap was outsourced to Escalation Studios (http://www.escalation.com/project/doom) who I've never heard of, but are based in Dallas so that kinda makes sense.

Yet another red flag about Doom, the game sounds like its been outsourced as bad as Halo MCC was. At least 3 entirely different teams working on 3 separate modes independently? :v: Awkward.

Not that outsourcing is wholly uncommon in the games' industry, but usually you have teams collaborating or you have the outsourced team merely handling map packs or DLC or something, while the lead team handles design. That's what I originally assumed was the case, Id was handling game design and CA was just doing maps. But that's seeming less like the case over time.

Here its feeling like Bethesda really just said "Id, you guys do a single player, Certain Affinity, you guys do the multiplayer, and Escalation, you do SnapMap, see you guys in a year"

Which again, would explain why the MP feels exactly like COD/Halo. You'd really think somebody would have told CA not to do that, though, since COD/Halo is where they've worked in the past. I don't know how you pick CA after the previous Doom 4 development was scrapped for being too COD, but at least tell them "hey probably don't make it like COD".

Would be nice if we could get some more footage of single player...

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

... another red flag about Doom, the game sounds like its been outsourced as bad as Halo MCC was. At least 3 entirely different teams working on 3 separate modes independently? :v: Awkward.

Not that outsourcing is wholly uncommon in the games' industry, ...
It seems like at this scale of development, multiple studios are the norm. I don't like it either, but I don't know what can really be done to change it at this point.

Zaphod42 posted:

Would be nice if we could get some more footage of single player...
Tomorrow, tomorrow ... Please be good.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's Doom, but there's a sniper rifle in it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The only thing less interesting than someone being glib about how bad this game is and giving up after a week is the endless commentary on exactly that.

Talk about Doom, buttholes.

I'm sorry, this is the Retard 4 thread.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

PrincessWuffles posted:

It seems like at this scale of development, multiple studios are the norm. I don't like it either, but I don't know what can really be done to change it at this point.

You could just tell devs to say "Develop all aspects you actually want in this game" instead of outsourcing?

But yeah, three different studios doing three different things for one project sounds... iffy. I'm getting Too Many Cooks vibes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PrincessWuffles posted:

Yeah, but its usually more like Ubisoft Montreal working with Ubisoft Paris and Ubisoft Barcelona. That makes sense. And again, one studio would be in charge and kinda doll out tasks to the other studios, like creating assets.

Things like Halo MCC where they just tell one studio to handle one part and another studio to handle another part without much oversight or communication can end really, really badly.

Now, I don't work at Bethesda so maybe they're overseeing things more than I'm assuming or maybe Certain Affinity and Id are just calling each other on the phone all the time and Id is totally cool with all these changes, but it definitely feels like they're going different directions.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

widespread posted:

You could just tell devs to say "Develop all aspects you actually want in this game" instead of outsourcing?

But yeah, three different studios doing three different things for one project sounds... iffy. I'm getting Too Many Cooks vibes.

Getting another team to make SnapMap for the users is a cool bonus, not a negative. Your solution is if id doesn't have time to make that while working on the game, just don't include it? Why? I say get another team to throw in a Kart Racing mini-game, it's all just extra value.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Getting another team to make SnapMap for the users is a cool bonus, not a negative. Your solution is if id doesn't have time to make that while working on the game, just don't include it? Why?

I think his solution would be "have Id do everything and just don't release the game until its done" which is how things used to be done but no more :smith:

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

widespread posted:

I assumed it was more of a publisher issue than the development teams themselves. Maybe you are too, if I'm parsing correctly.

One central team taking their time would be better, though, yes. We've already waited how long? I'm willing to wait if the waiting is worth it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zaphod42 posted:

I think his solution would be "have Id do everything and just don't release the game until its done" which is how things used to be done but no more :smith:

In the old days id also wouldn't have spent half a decade spinning their wheels before getting to the point where the game being "done" was even a thing on the horizon :smith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

JerryLee posted:

In the old days id also wouldn't have spent half a decade spinning their wheels before getting to the point where the game being "done" was even a thing on the horizon :smith:

Are any of the oldtimers still at id anymore?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

We outsourced all the bad parts. And the good parts, too. So, you're going to be left with the bland. :D

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Heavy Metal posted:

Cool new little trailer thingy posted/leaked by some dude who scored it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnshyDdwYw8

(edit: woops removed already. It was pretty cool!)

so what was it?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kazvall posted:

We outsourced all the bad parts. And the good parts, too. So, you're going to be left with the bland. :D

The Soylent of videogames.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Al-Saqr posted:

so what was it?

Here ye go

https://vid.me/RTTy

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 27, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Mordja posted:

Donna Jackson counts? If not, then Tim Willits, and he was recruited during Ultimate Doom development iirc

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Heavy Metal posted:

Here ye go

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dik8c5bxwnh1wwl/Copy.mp4?dl=0

(Keeps showing up as a broken video player,copy and paste the link by quoting the post I guess)

ooooh nice, very exciting looking trailer, really kickass stuff like the Robot with the giant fuckoff energy sword, it's hitting all the right notes for me, looking forward to tomorrow to see if this game is worth it or not!

And it looks like that story leak from before is looking very accurate, you can clearly see the 'tomb' the marine wakes up from, it looks like the leak got the part where the marine is 'awakened' correctly.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 26, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I'm pretty sure Tim Willits is still there, and I'm also pretty sure he's the only one.

He wasn't part of the Doom team either, but he did join for Quake which was still pretty classic Id.

The original Doom dream team is all long gone. Carmack was the last one to go.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm pretty sure Tim Willits is still there, and I'm also pretty sure he's the only one.

He wasn't part of the Doom team either, but he did join for Quake which was still pretty classic Id.

The original Doom dream team is all long gone. Carmack was the last one to go.

Kevin Cloud is still there as a senior artist I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Here ye go

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dik8c5bxwnh1wwl/Copy.mp4?dl=0

(Keeps showing up as a broken video player, copy and paste the link by quoting the post I guess)

Haha "text to be removed"

Not a ton here we haven't seen before, other than the new enemy/boss guy. Who looks like they straight up copied Pan's Labyrinth designs, but whatever.

The level geometry continues to be pretty cool and get me excited, especially the hellscapes. I am so loving sick of realistic buildings in videogames, that's cool for military immersion or whatever, but sometimes I just want poo poo to be cranked up to 11, just do what's cool, who cares what's realistic, its a loving game. You can do anything!

Still need to see more of how the single player actually plays though, before I can commit to buying this or not.

MP - felt bad
SnapMap - looks great
SP - jury's still out

If SP is good, then that plus SnapMap is enough to sell me, definitely. But I'm concerned about that.

a retard posted:

Kevin Cloud is still there as a senior artist I think.

Ah you're right! He's actually lead artist at Id, and was co-owner with Tim Willits until Bethesda took over. He's now executive producer.

That's cool at least. He joined before Willits did, even. He's been there since the early Doom days.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 26, 2016