Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Recoome posted:

where does it actually say this? I cant find it anywhere.

I think it's from the Lord of War section, saying that if something from IA doesn't have a 30k version you can grab that as a LoW choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Also this is the thread where I beg FW to not add that stupid flyer phase. Game is slowed down enough by the whacky psychic phase.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah I'm glad only Hixson has Psykers in our games. I have a flyer though (Dreadclaw) and so does Stanyer (Storm Eagle). Really hope they don't actually add that phase because I think flyers fit in well right now.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Not having your flyer(s) come in from reserve is ball busting enough, but now they can just die before they come on? It's not like 30k has that many flyers anyways. Compared to 40k at least.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Hencoe posted:

Not having your flyer(s) come in from reserve is ball busting enough, but now they can just die before they come on? It's not like 30k has that many flyers anyways. Compared to 40k at least.

And 40k looks to be getting two more flyers...

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Majestic isn't quite the word I'd use to describe a space marine flyer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stanyer89 posted:

And 40k looks to be getting two more flyers...

Yeah they were posted in the 40k thread already https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/713

Stormhawk and Blastajet. The Stormhawk looks kinda dumb.

Mango Polo posted:

Majestic isn't quite the word I'd use to describe a space marine flyer.

I wouldn't really describe Ork vehicles as "unholy" either, that's really Chaos' thing. Ork vehicles are insane and ramshackle as gently caress, deathtraps even, but unholy?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
It's unholy technology because it isn't approved by the Omnissiah.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
It just occurred to me that the new phase affects everyone except Tyranids, and technically daemons if they don't ally in a helldrake.
What is the drat point, does this mean that my fire raptor doesn't participate unless FW puts out an FAQ?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They're optional rules for 40k, but given how they keep rolling in stuff from expansions (lords of war, for ex.) I wouldn't be surprised if 8th ed had a dogfight phase.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
What if you played a game of Risk as a meta-game with one side being the Emprah and his holy Thundercats and the other being the Techno-Barbarians, and every time you battle instead of throwing the dice you have a skirmish to determine the victor?

What if we played a Monopoly as a third meta-game that represents the economy of the army and so much money can be spent buying things like Skitarii units?

And then to represent space-battles we get out a chess-board...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hencoe posted:

It just occurred to me that the new phase affects everyone except Tyranids, and technically daemons if they don't ally in a helldrake.
What is the drat point, does this mean that my fire raptor doesn't participate unless FW puts out an FAQ?

Don't forget Sisters! They can look forward to two entire phases where they aren't actually playing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrSlam posted:

What if you played a game of Risk as a meta-game with one side being the Emprah and his holy Thundercats and the other being the Techno-Barbarians, and every time you battle instead of throwing the dice you have a skirmish to determine the victor?

What if we played a Monopoly as a third meta-game that represents the economy of the army and so much money can be spent buying things like Skitarii units?

And then to represent space-battles we get out a chess-board...

There's totally a 40k expansion with rules just like that, I've seen it played. Not Epic Apocalypse, something else on top of that I think? I dunno. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about.

I'm actually down for insane ideas like this (so long as they're one-offs and not like regular "this is how we play every time now" things) but don't use monopoly, monopoly suuuucks.
Use like, any other board game ever made that involves money instead.

Something like Twilight Imperium or Rex would be super appropriate.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wasn't it called Planetry Empires or something like that? It looked like 40k settlers, but you could paint your hex tiles.

That new dog fight phase is entirely optional. Not to mention fliers in 30k all have deepstrike, so just declare it's deep striking (and forced to act as a skimmer when it enters play) which should go right around the new rules if they force them down our poorly lubricated throats.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

Yeah I'm glad only Hixson has Psykers in our games.

It's far quicker than any assault phase.

also jesus gently caress 40k is dumb. I just roll my eyes at everything new coming out (because its bad). It would be funny I wasnt financially invested in the stupid game.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
weren't there quick painting guides for the legions they put out when battle for calth launched? I can't seem to find them anywhere but I thought they did. not the old book 1 legion painting guides, those are still up.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Don't think so. There are a bunch of different studio schemes out there though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
30k hams, has the black LACAL been replaced by the red? Is there much difference?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I don't think there was ever a black LACAL book but there's a new red one out in a few months.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

weren't there quick painting guides for the legions they put out when battle for calth launched? I can't seem to find them anywhere but I thought they did. not the old book 1 legion painting guides, those are still up.

I could of swore it was a picture someone posted from a weekender. Was trying to find it for you but can't remember where it was posted...

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Are these what you're looking for?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DrPop posted:

Those were the pictures I was thinking of, I don't know if that's what he (she?) was looking for though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
You found my pics, good stuff.

There's guide compilation other than the old, original one. On the other hand you certainly can email FW and they'll happily tell you how some of the more recent legions were painted.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Salamanders dreadnought army backed up by fast moving biker Praetor, Primus Medicae, Forge Lord and other bikers... Good idea or best idea?

In 2000 pts I'm thinking leviathan, Deredeo, mortis kheres contemptor, grav fist contemptor, 3 box dreads. 7 dreads, 6 bikers.

E: only problem is the mandatory rite of war enabler + primus Medicae + forge Lord is super expensive.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

DrPop posted:

that's what's I was thinking of, yeah. were there written instructions anywhere printed or no?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that's what's I was thinking of, yeah. were there written instructions anywhere printed or no?

Looks like Primer, 3 Color Base Coat, Details/Emblems Base Coat + Varnish than a final Wash + Base.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 27, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lord Twisted posted:

Salamanders dreadnought army backed up by fast moving biker Praetor, Primus Medicae, Forge Lord and other bikers... Good idea or best idea?

In 2000 pts I'm thinking leviathan, Deredeo, mortis kheres contemptor, grav fist contemptor, 3 box dreads. 7 dreads, 6 bikers.

E: only problem is the mandatory rite of war enabler + primus Medicae + forge Lord is super expensive.

Also loosing 1 VP for each and every dreadnought who gets killed :(

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah that does suck balls. But you don't play hilarious dread lists to win games...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You could probably run that list with a different RoW or even without one to be honest. You wouldn't need the primus medicae and forge lord that way which would let you get some actual bodies, but then the regular contemptor and boxnaughts won't score.

:shrug:

Edit: One other thing to note. I'm sure you're aware of it, but just in case you're not, the Deredeo's invulnerable save thing only works on infantry. I once dreamt up a big, stupid armored fist of like 5 dreadnoughts hanging out with 4++ saves, but it was not to be.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 28, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's something I think we should tweak on our league. Only affecting infantry is fine, but for how many points it costs only boosting the stats of individual models just isn't worth it. It's like they designed the stock dodo to be good and then said 'lets give it plasma guns and a shield thing, but they have to cost way more and be worse than the stock kit'

e: Fuckin finally. They're doing 18 primarch books in the next 4 years. Provided you don't get a lovely author everybody will finally have a book about their big super baby. Obligatory better than intern quality video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3q22PYYT3o

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 28, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I think the problem - beyond losing VPs - is that super dread list means by the time you've bought the tax HQs and kitted them so you don't give away slay the warlord on turn 1 from them dying embarrassingly, you're 4-500 pts in the hole already.

Might just run POTL, 2 veteran tac squads in rhinos with a praetor somewhere, and then the rest dreads. Would be a cheaper tax and the same effect.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Nope, these were made for a presentation at the weekender by one of the FW artists, to illustrate how he keeps his sanity by not bothering with 50 different paints per model.

Your best bet is to email FW and ask them for a specific legion.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Rejigged my list.

Roughly:

Cassian dracos

2x tac squads in rhinos with artificer sergeants who have meltabombs and power weapons

Grav fist contemptor

Mortis kheres with havoc launcher

2x box dreads with flamestorm cannons and DCCW with heavy flamers

Deredeo with aiolos and autocannons

Leviathan and grav and claw in a drop pod.

2000 pts, 7 dreads, don't lose a VP when a lose a dread. Drop leviathan in as a distraction, run everyone else up while the ranged two dreads annihilate threats.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

When the tac squads die, you've pretty much lost the game.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Edit: One other thing to note. I'm sure you're aware of it, but just in case you're not, the Deredeo's invulnerable save thing only works on infantry. I once dreamt up a big, stupid armored fist of like 5 dreadnoughts hanging out with 4++ saves, but it was not to be.

This I did not know...

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

When the tac squads die, you've pretty much lost the game.

So as any good general does, you drop the leviathan onto threats to your tactical squads, use the ranged dreads to also target threats to them, and then push a wall of armour on the enemy to keep them occupied. Rhino + cover + smoke launchers is pretty decent.
If the enemy has drop pods... Well the best they can do is smoke the rhino and maybe kill one of two squads with a dedicated alpha strike. Cassian dracos then eats the pod squad.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Until you come up against a typhon.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Who gives a cluck, smash your dumb box robits into your opponent's bad army. I'd spit on anybody who whipped out a superheavy.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you bring a typhon into a 2k point game you're pretty much a loving loser anyway so

e: digging through my closet i found two unassembled deimos executioners. cool

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

e: Fuckin finally. They're doing 18 primarch books in the next 4 years. Provided you don't get a lovely author everybody will finally have a book about their big super baby. Obligatory better than intern quality video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3q22PYYT3o

Nice! Now FW just needs to do actual figures of the rest of the primarchs...