Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd like the Covenant rewards to be purely vanity stuff because gently caress farming for drops and gently caress these broken auto summons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Tykero posted:

Also, I'd just like to reiterate -- poise is fine as it is. Dark Souls 1 poise was seriously problematic and as much as I loved PvP in that game, I'm glad its poise system did not make it into 3. The current system of extending hyperarmor frames as your poise increases works quite well.

it was fine as a system imo. all the numbers should have been tweaked so you could not just, 'havel' your way through bosses, but as an invisible meter you had to keep track of it was fine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I edited my statement because I know it's not actually that (hell, I'M mainlining the caestus/demon fists and doing okay) but it's a monumental uphill battle for some weapons to even stand a chance against something like the estoc or the darksword.

Has anyone even seen anyone else using daggers in pvp? besides using them to slide around in swamp areas

My proudest PvP moment so far has been parrying a Dark Sword user's running attack. I felt like a total badass.

Then he ran off and hid behind a giant and healed and then killed me. :negative:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah same re: covenant rewards being vanity. I want rings or spells that make you look like enemies in that zone for Mound Makers.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Steve2911 posted:

Why do all the fun covenant's rewards have to be magic based? gently caress magic, give me cool armour and swords.

Given how hosed up covenants are atm, you're rather lucky they're just using it as yet another way to punish people who want to play magic characters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Babe Magnet posted:

What effect are you referring to? The tanking thing? Because that's what I'm saying, it doesn't happen at all in DS3.

Oh I thought you said you saw hyperarmor getting extended by poise, my bad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Poise was already fixed in Dark Souls 2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah same re: covenant rewards being vanity. I want rings or spells that make you look like enemies in that zone for Mound Makers.

Holy poo poo that would own.

Andrast posted:

Poise was already fixed in Dark Souls 2.

I honestly don't remember how it worked in DS2. What did it do? Basically what it did in DS1 but balanced better or what? I only PvP'd pretty casually in DS2 and mostly in dragon form so I never really paid attention to what armor could do for me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

it was fine as a system imo. all the numbers should have been tweaked so you could not just, 'havel' your way through bosses, but as an invisible meter you had to keep track of it was fine.

This is what I would prefer, tweaking the previous systems. Hell, I would be fine with ultra-heavy armors like havels retaining their "eat everything" poise ratings as long as they had faults in other areas too.

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh I thought you said you saw hyperarmor getting extended by poise, my bad.

I personally haven't seen it but there's enough evidence that it probably does. I don't use greatweapons and no other weapons besides the weird dex greatswords have hyper armor as far as I'm aware.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The one weird trick the guy on the dragon doesn't want you to know is Dragonslayer's Shield.

There are so few "unblockable" attacks in this game that the correct element great shield trivializes everything.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly there is some wonky stuff going on. Poise does not seem to work in this game like expected.

I'm not sure the implications of this, but for some reason, poise is directly backwards.

If I use a ring to multiply my poise by 10, it actually gets divided by 10. Meanwhile, if I use 0.1, it gets multiplied by 10. It makes no sense, and I suspect using 0 will make me unstaggerable.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Babe Magnet posted:

Has anyone even seen anyone else using daggers in pvp? besides using them to slide around in swamp areas

I heard they're pretty bad, even with the quickstep it's unlikely to land a backstab what with network issues and all

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The only time I ever get backstabbed is by a dude stabbing me in the front so I believe it.

Daggers have never been great but I ran into a few people who used them in the previous games. 0 this time.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Steve2911 posted:

Why do all the fun covenant's rewards have to be magic based? gently caress magic, give me cool armour and swords.

umm the Bloodlust is badass

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Emalde posted:

Given how hosed up covenants are atm, you're rather lucky they're just using it as yet another way to punish people who want to play magic characters.

Learned "Playing the worlds smallest violin" gesture

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Einwand posted:

I'm just now realizing I could have been attacking the king of storm's feet. I was only ever attacking its head, which worked out well since it opened it up for a visceral attack when it got to about 1/4th hp which then killed it off.

He takes like no damage if you hit his feet. I found the easiest place to hit was the neck right behind his head. If he does the fire breath attack you can easily take off over half his health if you just run up and chop at his neck.

Also, despite what people might think, King of the Storm is real weak to lightning damage. Nameless King not so much, but you can beat the first phase in two hits with the Dragonslayer Spear's special attack.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Also, despite what people might think, King of the Storm is real weak to lightning damage. Nameless King not so much, but you can beat the first phase in two hits with the Dragonslayer Spear's special attack.

He IS a dragon afterall

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Einwand posted:

I'm just now realizing I could have been attacking the king of storm's feet. I was only ever attacking its head, which worked out well since it opened it up for a visceral attack when it got to about 1/4th hp which then killed it off.

That's what you should be doing. He takes like no damage to the feet, and it fucks up your camera, and makes you most vulnerable to the straight down breath attack.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just realized that both Pontiff rings are weaker versions of Bloodborne mechanics and felt kind of dumb because they also come from beast enemies. It was already obvious that the Left Eye ring is a weaker version of the regain mechanic, but I totally didn't notice that the Right Eye ring is a weaker version of Beasthood.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Also I just lost almost 2 million souls to elevator shenanigans

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ZenVulgarity posted:

How I think I play dark souls

How I probably play dark souls
http://i.imgur.com/xwWAvh8.mp4

are you the dog or the toy lizard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I just realized that both Pontiff rings are weaker versions of Bloodborne mechanics and felt kind of dumb because they also come from beast enemies. It was already obvious that the Left Eye ring is a weaker version of the regain mechanic, but I totally didn't notice that the Right Eye ring is a weaker version of Beasthood.

The rings that give you FP/HP back on criticals are basically baby versions of those runes from BB as well.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I beat the first phase on my very first try just hitting the head, attacking its legs just flat out didn't occur to me, though I'd probably of noticed it doing no damage and gone back to hitting the face if I had.
Dragonslayer spear is pretty nice, it's a spear except it actually has a semblance of a damage value, unlike every other spear I've used so far including my lothric long spear. Its odd that only the special weapon variants of the charge abilities actually do damage, the basic spear "charge" is just awful and does no damage for how much stamina it takes.

Speaking about Lothric Long Spear, with how poise works right now doesn't that mean its innate poise buff is literally useless because ordinary spears don't seem to have any hyper frames at all?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, there's a pretty great interview with Miyazaki someone posted over in the Imp Zone thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771679&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post459170373

Kind of highlights some of the Unkindled lore and some vague hints at what Miyazaki wants From to do next. Also: confirmation of three planned large DLCs.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

What weapon are you using? Do you mean that you're using a lighter weapon and can trade hits thanks to poise, or that lighter weapons don't stagger you out of heavy weapon attacks?

I guess I'm curious because even though I believe people who say poise has an effect on hyperarmor frames, I don't think I ever noticed the effect. Maybe I'm not looking close enough or I'm already timing my hyperarmor frames right, or it just doesn't apply to R1s, I have no idea.

Yeah, that's why I'm having a tough time identifying a good cut-off point. But I'm also not sure how much damage different weapons tend to do in SL 120 PvP so it's tough to say whether 100 more HP is worth it, or 200 more, compared to pumping another damage stat or getting more Endurance.

Right now I'm using mainly an Exile Greatsword and a Washing Pole. The Washing Pole is mostly to punish panic rollers, and poke the last bit off somebody's hp bar in no estus honor duels. I also switch to it against certain weapons.
Mostly, though, I use the Exile Greatsword. It has a nice relatively quick R1 and running R1, a pretty good rolling R1, and the weapon art lets you do a two hit combo off a single R1 hit confirm that totals quite a bit of damage.
It also consumes far less stamina per swing than the Black Knight Greataxe I was using previously.
From memory, I believe that with ~30 poise, my hyperarmor starts on a 2h R1 just a bit after the "cutting" motion of the attack begins (so the "lifting the weapon and rotating into place" portion is still vulnerable). A rolling R1 has hyperarmor starting about midway through the swing.
If I anticipate an opponent's attack I can poise through it relatively easily if it's a light weapon. Without that thirty poise, the "vulnerable" phase of the attack at the beginning lasts a bit longer -- enough to be noticeable, especially on already low-hyperarmor attacks like the rolling R1.

My Washing Pole, however, has very little noticeable difference in performance with all that poise. I don't use it enough in general combat to say for certain yet how much more wiggle room my poise affords me, if any.
I'll have to play with it more to say for certain.

Maybe I'll grab some Shadowplay clips tonight that show off me poising through attacks. I don't have the desire to sit and test with somebody for frame-perfect differences, though I do hope is that somebody else will do that work.
I'm willing to bet it's quite different for each weapon.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mazerunner posted:

Also I just lost almost 2 million souls to elevator shenanigans

speaking of elevator shenanigans, I got stuck in an elevator in Archdragon Peak when an invader caught me between floors. She found me and apologized, then jumped off a cliff.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

The rings that give you FP/HP back on criticals are basically baby versions of those runes from BB as well.

If there is one thing that bugs me, from a mechanics standpoint, its that the ring effects seem really neutered.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Harrow posted:

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, there's a pretty great interview with Miyazaki someone posted over in the Imp Zone thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771679&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post459170373

Kind of highlights some of the Unkindled lore and some vague hints at what Miyazaki wants From to do next. Also: confirmation of three planned large DLCs.

three dlcs :flashfap:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Broseph Brostar posted:

Run away the second you hear it roar and take off. You have just barely enough time to get out of it. That is the intended method of dealing with that mechanic.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

He doesnt napalm from above if you stay in front of him.
He only does this if you get under him.

Spanish Manlove posted:

He'll only do the flame breath if you're attacking his feet, IE under him where the rider can't reach you.

So when you see him jump straight into the air, just loving run. Pick a direction and book it. It's a little hard to explain but if he jumps up into the air and you see his tail hanging straight down, you should already be sprinting.

thanks! i've pretty much got the sky king part down now. the actual NK is no fun. his moves seem to have delayed timing and he can combo 2 - 3 - 4 swings sometimes but i can't seem to tell what is going to make him do how many swings. also it really seems like he's got attacks that can hit you when you've already been knocked down and deal more damage and likely kill you, which is cool because you can't roll or sip or do anything while your dude is lying on the ground.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If you want a really :effort: way to farm swordgrass slap on a gold serpent ring and some coins and keep refreshing the bonfire just before Abyss Watchers. I went there to get a Dark Sword drop and the darkwraiths gently caress up the goat men in about 2 seconds flat, then usually end up dying to poison or the door guards' combo attacks. I think it took 4 runs to get the DS to drop and 3 out of those 4 a goat man dropped swordgrass. Luck on this character was really low (like maybe 10), and you can listen to a podcast or something while you do it. Easier than fighting them yourself!

Now if I can just find a similar way to get ears :negative:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Now, call me paranoid, but I don't think these people actually took their characters to the endgame without leveling past the level 20 +2 weapon invade range, in fact, I think they might of been cheaters.

You can trade items. I have a twinked out lautrec that I invade with.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

homeless poster posted:

thanks! i've pretty much got the sky king part down now. the actual NK is no fun. his moves seem to have delayed timing and he can combo 2 - 3 - 4 swings sometimes but i can't seem to tell what is going to make him do how many swings. also it really seems like he's got attacks that can hit you when you've already been knocked down and deal more damage and likely kill you, which is cool because you can't roll or sip or do anything while your dude is lying on the ground.

The second phase took me a while because of exactly what you're talking about, but once you memorize which tells are long windups and which ones are short windups, it's just a rhythm game at that point.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

...With how the blue covenants are right now? Are you mad?

I suppose that's a good point. Honestly, I'd be satisfied with more lore, which is why it's annoying hardly any of the Covenant leaders actually speak

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

They copied that from my post in this thread which was copied from reddit. Also in the original reddit thread someone said the 3 DLC translation was wrong.

http://00tn2.blogspot.ca/2016/04/dark-souls-3.html This is on the same page though
Lord of the Laws! :black101:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I... I did it. I managed to farm a Lothric Knight Greatsword before defeating Vordt :shepicide:

Considering the low droprate, I'm not sure I'd call it "getting a Lothric Knight Greatsword early" since it took several minutes to kill each enemy and I spent like 3 hours farming. As a bonus I've gotten really good at parrying Lothric Knights, since that was the only way I could really do any damage (and any attack one-shot me). With all the Large Titanite Shards and Chunks I've gotten this should prove pretty overpowered, so at least the next half of the game will be a breeze.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
DS2 had 3 dlcs didn't it? So it's not unreasonable to assume ds3 will follow that pattern.

Speaking of which, I never played any of the ds2 DLC. Would it be worth going back just to check it out? I don't really feel like I'm going to want to replay 3 in ng+ when I finish it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

They copied that from my post in this thread which was copied from reddit. Also in the original reddit thread someone said the 3 DLC translation was wrong.

http://00tn2.blogspot.ca/2016/04/dark-souls-3.html This is on the same page though
Lord of the Laws! :black101:

Aww, so it'll be 2 DLCs after all?

Either way 2 DLCs would be fine too.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

DS2 had 3 dlcs didn't it? So it's not unreasonable to assume ds3 will follow that pattern.

Speaking of which, I never played any of the ds2 DLC. Would it be worth going back just to check it out? I don't really feel like I'm going to want to replay 3 in ng+ when I finish it.

DS2's DLC is the best part of DS2 by far, it's all good.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Just hanging out at the Ritual Site of the Fire Inheriting.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

The only time I ever get backstabbed is by a dude stabbing me in the front so I believe it.

Daggers have never been great but I ran into a few people who used them in the previous games. 0 this time.

Backstabs can punish whiffed parries but that's pretty much the only way you will backstab someone one on one without lag being involved. Even stuff like ugs r1s recover too fast to roll through and then backstab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harrow posted:

Aww, so it'll be 2 DLCs after all?

Either way 2 DLCs would be fine too.

I hope one DLC deals with unattended graves and the other answers why there are statues to primordial serpents in the archives, what the winged thing in the cage was, and who was the tutor to the prince.