Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Is the original Armored Core a playable game.

Not without dedication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Skychrono posted:

What combo of things do I have to buy to make them release 5 before 4? No one needs 4.
4 is chill, short and doesn't drop into single-digit fps because some idiot decided to put 15 characters into a room with mirror floor.
Doesn't have Miakis shredding people, though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cyberslueth is amazing. It's like persona. I've gotten 60 hours out of it and I'm just starting post game content.

I'd recommend it on Vita if you can, it's just better portable.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ineffiable posted:

Cyberslueth is amazing. It's like persona. I've gotten 60 hours out of it and I'm just starting post game content.

I'd recommend it on Vita if you can, it's just better portable.
Also like $12 cheaper or something, lol PS4 tax

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

CrashCat posted:

Also like $12 cheaper or something, lol PS4 tax

Yeah game runs just fine on Vita and doesn't look visually more impressive on ps4.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Cyber Sleuth kinda looks like a Raidou game, is that accurate? I know nothing about digimans.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Cyber Sleuth kinda looks like a Raidou game, is that accurate? I know nothing about digimans.

Remarkably similar music, might be the same composer? Gameplay wise it's really different - turn based, for one

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Should I play Disgea 4 before I play 5?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So I know that Korra game isn't supposed to be very good but is it at least worth $5?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I know you fuckers have been waiting for it.

DON BRADMAN CRICKET IS NOW AVAILABLE IN NORTH AMERICA ON PS4!!

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

In general for the Disgaea series there is no story reason to care about the order so if you're only playing one you can jump to the latest. If you're playing multiple it tends to be harder going backwards due to QoL improvements in the later games.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

It doesn't matter, they're comedy games. Maybe there will be a nod to 4 in 5 but there's not going to be anything you regret not getting.

axleblaze posted:

So I know that Korra game isn't supposed to be very good but is it at least worth $5?
From what I remember it is somewhat pretty and plays okay but is pretty short/shallow. If you like beating things up I guess you could do worse? Depends on how much you value your time.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I think mechanically the games are a constant improvement, so unless you want to play the story of Disgaea 4 (and I personally think it's quite good) I'd say no.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Depends on what you enjoy more. If you enjoy a better, less cliche plot, play 4, if you enjoy even newer mechanics at the expense of a horridly cliche plot, play 5

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

axleblaze posted:

It's far from being a great game, but it's still a pretty fun, cheap Platinum action game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Saint Freak posted:

Not really, no. Digimon is a traditional JRPG with somewhat (but not really) Pokemon reminiscent monster capture/raising mechanics. One nice thing about it is there is no RNG in the capture mechanic: when you encounter a Digimon you want, you'll gather X% of data on that Digimon, and when you have 100% you can create it; if you get 200%, you get a bonus when you create the Digimon, I forget what that bonus was offhand.

Combat involves exploiting Digimon type and attributes. So if you're fighting a boss that's all Virus type Digimon, you should use a party comprised of Vaccine types, because you'll double your damage output and halve theirs. Elemental advantage adds another 50% on top of that for a maximum triple damage.

Monster raising at its most basic level involves leveling up your Digimon, then choosing to Digivolve them at the lab when they meet the digivolution requirements (so when they reach X Level, Y HP, Z STR, etc.) You can dedigivolve your dude, which is a good idea when you cap your Digimon's level (and can't digivolve) or you're trying to raise Ability for a specific reason.

It's a really, really cool JRPG.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

If you want an introduction before playing 5, just watch the anime. It's very short (like half a season length), and it'll give you a feel for the gags that persist between games (e.g. the prinnys, dood). But no, there's not really any need to qualify Disgaea 5 with pre-requisites. You can jump right into it, no problem.

And don't take Magil of Shadow too seriously. :v: The plot is intentionally rife with cliché in all things Disgaea. I say that without having played the first one, though.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Yakuza 5 is on sale for almost 50% off. You should buy Yakuza 5.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Holy gently caress. Nioh does not gently caress around but once you adjust, this is loving Oni Souls. Seriously this is so much better than Lords of the Fallen. This is a really really good souls game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why does golden sale seemingly translate to anime sale?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its golden week, week long holiday in Japan. That equates to sick rear end japanese anime games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ah, got it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Incidentally the size of the new Hitman level is completely absurd. Turned off all objective hints and have just been roaming the city for like an hour, still don't really have a full handle on my way around, goddamn there are some layers to this.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thinking of buying some games on sale:

Digimon (sounds like I should just get the Vita version and play on my PSTV)
Gravity Rush Remastered
Yakuza 5
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge
Persona 4: DAN
Dungeon Travelers 2 (heard it was a good if fanservicey game)

Any of these I should buy over the others?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr E posted:

Gravity Rush Remastered
Yakuza 5

Digimon is a solid JRPG overall.
Gravity Rush is fun but very short, ends on a cliffhanger, and is a very obvious Vita port. Better than the Vita version though.
Yakuza 5 is overall solid.
DT2 is good but 'fanservicy' is putting it lightly.

If I had to pick one I'd pick Digimon.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

Mr E posted:

Gravity Rush Remastered
Yakuza 5

Volfogg posted:

Yakuza 5 is on sale for almost 50% off. You should buy Yakuza 5.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Join us Digimon friends:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762076

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr E posted:

You will see this within the first..oh, two minutes?

:nws: probably: http://i.imgur.com/xuX8Ccy.jpg

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I am too tempted to buy The Magic Circle even though I have other stuff to play and it probably won't even be that long until it's on sale. It's just I've been wanting it for awhile but prefer to play my games on console, it looks exactly like my type of thing and it has James Urbaniak in it. I'll probably end up waiting but it's still drat tempting

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So I'm eyeing Digimon pretty hard in this sale. Is it particularly grindy?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

that girl looks really frightened of anime rear end

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

So I'm eyeing Digimon pretty hard in this sale. Is it particularly grindy?

Nah not at all, sometimes you might have to grind to get more powerful end level digimon but the game throws a digimon that triples your xp as an ability at you relatively early, you can then use three of these and have them hold items which also increase xp earned. It's all pretty quick and easy.

It's fun evolving and devolving digimon to go through their evolution paths which is why xp is so easy but it's not required.

Edit: also I was in Japan not long ago and visited Nakano Broadway where the game takes place, was pretty surreal wandering around getting flashbacks to a loving digimon game lol.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Yeah, there's a lot of really specific stuff you have to do if you want to get all the trophies but if you're just trying to have a good time you can get through most of the game just using the Digimon you want and changing it up a bit if or when you hit a wall.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just spent way more than I should of on two anime fighters and an RPG. drat these good sales!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sounds good, went ahead and grabbed the Vita version :)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I've been sorta checked out on PS sales for the last year. Has the Platinum Transformers game gone on sale much at all, or am I better off buying retail than waiting?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It was on sale twice within only a few months for I think $20. Should come back around sooner or later.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So have we speculated on May's PS+ games yet? Aren't they meant to be officially announced today?

There was a 'leak' for Watchdogs and Tetris on PS4, which I'd be pretty happy with if that's the case, but of course nothing verified yet.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

The reveals tend to happen on Thursday IIRC. So, one more day before we can whine about Tetris and WATCHUNDERSCOREDOGS for real. Even though we probably still will anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Oh, Thursday? OK.

Hmmmm if those are the PS4 games then I don't think I am going to complain this month. Feels strange, man.

• Locked thread