Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I don't have naval superiority, but I could probably get it. I have about 200 galleys, which has been an overwhelming force up until now, but France and England combined keep coming up with some absurd number of heavy ships to beat my stack, even while it's in the Mediterranean (I haven't bothered checking to see how many they actually have total). Time to build a bunch of big boats... I guess?

Should I make this as painful as possible for them or try and peace out? At this point they basically want everything that I have in the Iberian peninsula (~10 territories) except Gibraltar, so I'd still have a land bridge

I managed to park enough men just south of the straight of Gibraltar to hold off the England/French hordes, and I built enough heavy ships to push them out of the Mediterranean. I maxed out my force limit in order to drive down the bonus that they were getting for army size, and then I sank a few fleets for some extra warscore, and then I setup a small Mediterranean blockade. All of this pushed down the number of settlements that they'd get in a peace deal, which allowed me to save the province that I needed for the Unify Islam achievement.

Quick cut to a year later, I smashed and grabbed Samarkand and the achievement was mine :) Now to take Rome and Moscow, and then... vengeance, hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Palleon posted:

When you want to back up a save just make a copy in another folder before it gets overwritten, to restore just copy it back and load.

Which I don't think is even that scummy if you do it right. Since a bunch of achievements do require pretty specific starting conditions, I don't really consider it cheating to restart until you get the start you need, then keep a copy of that save around. But if you have any copied games that date from later than December 1444, you're just cheating.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eej posted:

I did this back in November and it should still mostly apply.

What's the autosave trick? Just keeping a backup of a good ironman start, or something else entirely?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Deltasquid posted:

What's the autosave trick? Just keeping a backup of a good ironman start, or something else entirely?

Yup, saves you the headache of having the stars aligning again.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I still feel like I'm missing something. Even with allies in North Africa, Ceuta prevents them from crossing the strait at all, since it belongs to Portugal. do I need to invade Portugal first?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Which I don't think is even that scummy if you do it right. Since a bunch of achievements do require pretty specific starting conditions, I don't really consider it cheating to restart until you get the start you need, then keep a copy of that save around. But if you have any copied games that date from later than December 1444, you're just cheating.

same, but October 1794

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Might be a silly question, but is there any way to influence the spread of discovery events? It's past 1700 and everything east of the Crimean Peninsula is still unknown. I guess the Pope doesn't have to care about what's going on in India but I'd like to be able to see what shenanigans the AI got up to regardless.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I still feel like I'm missing something. Even with allies in North Africa, Ceuta prevents them from crossing the strait at all, since it belongs to Portugal. do I need to invade Portugal first?

Does anyone have military access through Portugal? Is the strait blockaded? Is Portugal in the war, with an fort in Ceuta?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

PittTheElder posted:

Does anyone have military access through Portugal? Is the strait blockaded? Is Portugal in the war, with an fort in Ceuta?

Nobody ever has military access with Portugal because they hate me and the North Africans. They never join the war with Castile, and even if they do, there's a fort there.

Over the course of 10 retries, not once has Morocco not allied Tlemcen, and Tlemcen almost always rivaled me.

I'm starting to think that the achievement is straight up impossible this patch. there's no way to get any of the North Africans over to help me or move my troops out of Iberia because Portugal is a stubborn rear end.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Almost bought an antique book about the conquest of Granada today and now I wish I did :C

10$ too

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Nobody ever has military access with Portugal because they hate me and the North Africans. They never join the war with Castile, and even if they do, there's a fort there.

Over the course of 10 retries, not once has Morocco not allied Tlemcen, and Tlemcen almost always rivaled me.

I'm starting to think that the achievement is straight up impossible this patch. there's no way to get any of the North Africans over to help me or move my troops out of Iberia because Portugal is a stubborn rear end.

You could try for a scenario where Portugal rivals Morocco, then you go for a conquest war in Morocco before Portugal gets the chance. If Morocco and Tlemcen are allied then make Tlemcen co-belligerents and take land from them, too.

If Portugal declares before you can, then you could let them beat up Morocco and then declare your own war

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know what's fun? Calling an ally into war and promising them territory, only to find out that they don't want any of the territory that you can give them. Or that they expect more territory than they want, which sounds incredibly stupid on its face, but is definitely something that happens.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what's fun? Calling an ally into war and promising them territory, only to find out that they don't want any of the territory that you can give them. Or that they expect more territory than they want, which sounds incredibly stupid on its face, but is definitely something that happens.

Can't you just transfer occupation and give them any provinces you want?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
If they don't want any provinces that they highlighted as interests for who knows what reason, they would be happy with receiving jack poo poo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elman posted:

Can't you just transfer occupation and give them any provinces you want?

You can transfer occupation of any province you feel like, but unless they actually want the province, they won't accept it in a peace deal. Which is really frustrating, because they won't transfer occupation back to you even though they don't want the province.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

If they don't want any provinces that they highlighted as interests for who knows what reason, they would be happy with receiving jack poo poo

Unfortunately that's not how it works, because what an AI country expects from a war isn't based on what they actually want, but rather on their contribution and how much you're getting out of it.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

You can take me out of Europe but you can't take the Europe out of me!! (someone tell me why I am in so many continental wars while westernizing)

Also if you squint hard check out that Lan Na of mine; I've actually found the best way to utilize Threaten War besides being a lunch money bully and that is conquering the terrible, terrible +2 attrition southeast asia area without a. single. war. Lan Na was 2 provinces when I force vassalized them and I haven't attacked anyone in that area ever since.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

You can transfer occupation of any province you feel like, but unless they actually want the province, they won't accept it in a peace deal. Which is really frustrating, because they won't transfer occupation back to you even though they don't want the province.

Unfortunately that's not how it works, because what an AI country expects from a war isn't based on what they actually want, but rather on their contribution and how much you're getting out of it.

I know how it works and what I said is also exactly how it works. It's an opening move I've used again and again in trying to get a great start as Austria for my finished WC run, which is promise land to Hungary for fighting Venice. They have Ragusa and that province that begins with a D as their strategic interests. I always let them do the legwork of fighting all of venice's stupid trade league friends and that sends their contribution sky high so they want more than what I get in the peace deal. Yet each and every time as soon as I transfer siege occupation of the two provinces they wanted, it turns out that they don't actually want to annex those two provinces and what ends up happening is I get two of venice's provinces, hungary gets nothing, and hungary's trust didn't go down.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 26, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
some of yall have the worst loving map mods jesus rear end boob

e: this was kinda rude i just dont get how yall dont do political/ w/e map mode u need back and forth. it blows my mind people play eu4 and ck2 with terrain map mods like whaaaaaaa?

edit episode 2 THE SEQUEL
not to say i dont like to remember how good terrain map looks

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 26, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

verbal enema posted:

some of yall have the worst loving map mods jesus rear end boob

e: this was kinda rude i just dont get how yall dont do political/ w/e map mode u need back and forth. it blows my mind people play eu4 and ck2 with terrain map mods like whaaaaaaa?

edit episode 2 THE SEQUEL
not to say i dont like to remember how good terrain map looks

I don't actually believe anyone plays in anything other then political mode. They just claim they play in terrain mode or set up fake screens in terrain mode to troll.

Honestly, it should probably be a banable offense.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only gameplay method I believe in is taking Religious ideas first and clicking Religious Map.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I love TBARW, but I wish someone would take it further and make a political map that's like 40% opacity.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

This one is amazing: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=496759761

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Yeah, I tried this out a while back, and even I gave it a grudging 'not bad'.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I know how it works and what I said is also exactly how it works. It's an opening move I've used again and again in trying to get a great start as Austria for my finished WC run, which is promise land to Hungary for fighting Venice. They have Ragusa and that province that begins with a D as their strategic interests. I always let them do the legwork of fighting all of venice's stupid trade league friends and that sends their contribution sky high so they want more than what I get in the peace deal. Yet each and every time as soon as I transfer siege occupation of the two provinces they wanted, it turns out that they don't actually want to annex those two provinces and what ends up happening is I get two of venice's provinces, hungary gets nothing, and hungary's trust didn't go down.

I've had the same thing happen with the Ottomans against Poland-Lithuania. Promised them land, they did the lion's share of the fighting, but when it came time to divvy the spoils, they didn't actually want any of the strategic interest provinces and I didn't lose any trust for giving them nothing in the deal. Not even Bessarabia, and they almost always want that.

Maybe it has to do with them being rivals? The AI is happy as long as their rival is losing land, so they don't care if they don't get any?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Promise Land thing is really gamey in that aspect because it makes total sense for a larger power to help one of their small allies beat up another country but not want any land for whatever reason. Aggressive expansion, non accepted culture, separatism, overall costs of annexing more land, just wanting to reduce the influence of a rival etc are all both valid in game and in "character" reasons for it. It's just not communicated very well when that is the case (and why I still think Favours don't really add anything to the game aside from making it harder to play minors).

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

In my Luck of the Irish game that I'm just wrapping up I promised land to the French for their assistance fighting England, they did nothing but sink ships, never set foot on land, I took one province in the peace deal and they've now hated me for not coughing up land for them for about 150 years. Your mileage might vary, I suppose.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I wish I could cash in favors to tell a country -not- to go to war with me when I attack an ally.

Sweden broke it off with me when I dumped Poland. I'll probably be okay, because without Sweden, Muscovy liked me enough to ally, and with them, Austria, and Hungary, Poland and Sweden shouldn't be too bad.

Still, I'd rather not have to fight Sweden.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

:toot:

Luck of the Irish finally done! That campaign really taught me the value of going balls deep in loan debt. I'm about 25 years clear of my debts now, but I'm still carrying around 25% inflation from all that free money. I think I had to go 10+ over my force limit in mercs at one point to match England, but I got it done.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
During my attempt (abandoned after I killed England but got rivaled by a France that had entered PU with Godsdamned Spain who themselves still had most of Italy under their thumb. They also had a piece of the isles that I would have had to get away from them.) I just focused on having a strong Navy and trying to trap their doomstacks in Orkney.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Godsdamned

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm at 40% inflation due to gold shipments alone, and my -0.30 inflation per year is doing nothing to help it.

Is there any way to remedy this, or am I supposed to let my.. I believe I have six colonial nations with gold, drown my economy?

Never really tried the colonization game before.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Who are you playing as? I've never had gold fleets actually cause that much trouble.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Who are you playing as? I've never had gold fleets actually cause that much trouble.

Doing Luck of The Irish, the AI was pretty anemic about colonizing, so I got to go hog wild from Brazil to Canada.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

THE BAR posted:

I'm at 40% inflation due to gold shipments alone, and my -0.30 inflation per year is doing nothing to help it.

Is there any way to remedy this, or am I supposed to let my.. I believe I have six colonial nations with gold, drown my economy?

Gold is good, keep it rolling

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

THE BAR posted:

Doing Luck of The Irish, the AI was pretty anemic about colonizing, so I got to go hog wild from Brazil to Canada.

invest in more leprechaun bankers

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Meanwhile, I'm losing money like crazy as Brandenburg, and I'm not really sure what I can do about it. Even when I drop my army maintenance and mothball forts. I have no advisors, I have ships protecting trade, and even have dudes giving me trade power.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is your army way over your force limits?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE BAR posted:

Reduce it manually. I mean yeah that's gonna suck, that's 1500 admin points down the drain, but it might be worth it to get it under control. Alternatively, if you can still afford everything you need, what's the big deal?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys think I can conquer a France that has half of Iberia, all of France, and parts of great Britain, PLUS Milan in northern Italy in 100 years?

I'm wondering if I can restore Rome in my Byzantium game. It feels like it's possible, but there is a lot of development to swallow. I have Anatolia and the Balkans plus Egypt, half of Poland/Lithuanian lands. Wien, half of Italy, north Africa, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

Is your army way over your force limits?

No, right at the limit. Not too many ships or leaders, either.

For now, though, the league war has kicked off (I may have kicked it off, tee-hee), so I'll have to figure it out after that. It's the perfect way to cap the land I need from Poland, but I don't think I'll get to since Bohemia is the war leader and they hate me.

• Locked thread