Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

Final boss of the final DLC is a gigantic square arena with ropes blocking the edges. Cheering crowds of skeletons

TWO Champion Gundyrs
nah its gonna be god gundyr and he goes into hyper mode at half health

also this will play when he does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQgXvmtI_ug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
OTOH, I thought Bloodborne's DLC was fantastic. Orphan of Kos in particular is one of my favorite boss fights in the entire Soulsborne series. Beating him at level 100 in NG+ was the most satisfied I've felt in any of these games.

I have high hopes for DS3's DLC.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 26, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Internet Kraken posted:

Would 66 be too high to get good Aldrich Faithful hits? I've never bothered with this covenant before.

I was getting non stop hits at 80 in the faithful.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Internet Kraken posted:

Would 66 be too high to get good Aldrich Faithful hits? I've never bothered with this covenant before.

I was getting a hit once every five seconds or so at SL63. I had to make an effort to take the covenant item off when I wanted to quit playing before I got summoned again.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

is there a reason to keep patches alive afte I buy his armor sets

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
After breezing through the game on NG++ I've determined that Havel Shield +5 is definitely the most broken thing in PvE. No boss can hurt me, all their hits do about 5% damage (if elemental)/stamina.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ruggington posted:

If you don't purchase Siegward's armor set, then Patches can save Greirat on his expedition to Ithiryll instead of Siegward. Otherwise, no. Make sure you get the Patches Squat before killing him.

qbert posted:

After breezing through the game on NG++ I've determined that Havel Shield +5 is definitely the most broken thing in PvE. No boss can hurt me, all their hits do about 5% damage (if elemental)/stamina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09xmhsvIuU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ruggington posted:

He's your good friend.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Vermain posted:

I'd like Sorcery more if there was either some way to make Farron Flashsword your "main" weapon (but that thing chugs FP like a hog if you're using it like a regular weapon), or if Blessed-infused weapons could actually be buffed. Having a split damage weapon in this game is very "blegh" unless you've got an outrageously high base AR (like the Raw Drakeblood Greatsword), and especially when you can't compensate for it with GMW or CMW. I just fought Dragonslayer Armour on my FTH build (which I'm trying because I'm an idiot), and I legitimately had to go and run around getting enough Titanite to get my Raw Astora SS up to +8, because I was doing 79 damage a hit with my lightning-infused Lothric Knight Sword.

Bless infusion seems really weak. It's not split damage, but the fact you need a wider stat spread to make up the damage loss, and all you get to really show for it is a 2HP regen (and 20% damage vs reanimates, lol).

Don't get me wrong, I love the HP regen in this game, but drat, Blessed infusions are rough. If they could just accept buffs they might actually be pretty solid.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

is there any reason to keep YOU alive after you kill patches

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kiggles posted:

Bless infusion seems really weak. It's not split damage, but the fact you need a wider stat spread to make up the damage loss, and all you get to really show for it is a 2HP regen (and 20% damage vs reanimates, lol).

Don't get me wrong, I love the HP regen in this game, but drat, Blessed infusions are rough. If they could just accept buffs they might actually be pretty solid.

I actually meant Simple but mixed it up. v:shobon:v

They've both got similar problems, although Simple is at least useful to put on a Target Shield or Buckler. Blessed just sucks: its effect sucks (unless you're a speedrunner exploiting the tick rate by equipping/unequipping something with the infusion rapidly) and its damage sucks.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

is there any reason to keep YOU alive after you kill patches

trick question there was already no reason

Kerm
Jun 17, 2003

VIDEO GAME RINGTONES
So I killed the greatwood, and at the same exact time I died. I received the soul and everything for killing him, but now I can't get back into the pit. Did I screw something up, or am I ok?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

WrightOfWay posted:

Backstabs can punish whiffed parries but that's pretty much the only way you will backstab someone one on one without lag being involved. Even stuff like ugs r1s recover too fast to roll through and then backstab.

Block through an attack while circling. I guess you don't actually have to drop guard to BS but I do it automatically and it messes up my timing if I try not to.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Kerm posted:

So I killed the greatwood, and at the same exact time I died. I received the soul and everything for killing him, but now I can't get back into the pit. Did I screw something up, or am I ok?

Your game progress is fine but I don't think you'll be able to get down there at all since you missed being able to activate the bonfire that spawns after the boss is dead. Which is an interesting problem. This means you aren't going to be able to turn in Vertebrae Shackles for Mound Makers at all this game cycle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do all small shields have the same parry frames in this game or is the buckler/target shield still the best? I'd rather use the golden falcon shield because it looks so nice.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Kerm posted:

Just jump down the pit. While it looks like a straight drop, there's actually an invisible ledge that you'll slide down safely.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So I finally get summoned as a Darkmoon.

As soon as I spawn in: "Mad dark spirit Hillary4Prez defeated. Returning to your world..."

Huh. I guess there really are alternate worlds, better worlds, out there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Do all small shields have the same parry frames in this game or is the buckler/target shield still the best? I'd rather use the golden falcon shield because it looks so nice.

Buckler/Target still appear to be the easiest to parry with. There's no hard and fast data for it yet, but my experience has been that I can land sight parries more consistently with a Target Shield than with, say, the Sacred Bloom Shield.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

qbert posted:

I've used the Giant boss shield and I think it would make a strong contender... if poise worked.

Kerm
Jun 17, 2003

VIDEO GAME RINGTONES

ponzicar posted:

Just jump down the pit. While it looks like a straight drop, there's actually an invisible ledge that you'll slide down safely.

Awesome, thanks. Really did not want to just jump to my death.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

Pyromancer is a decent start, too, but I probably wouldn't start as the other magic-type classes unless you really, really, really want magic. Sorcerer and Cleric are very slow starts magic-wise. If you do pyromancy, know that it scales this time, and pretty dramatically, with both Int and Faith. It scaled in DS2, too, but much less. It's a big deal this time. A pure pyromancer should go 30/30 or even 40/40 Int/Faith by the end. So it's not really "free" magic like it was in DS1.

I wouldn't pick pyromancer as a noob because if you're like me you'll never even find the sun covenant or pyromancer or sorcerer trainer on your first playthrough. :downs:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

"We need an easy mode"

:laffo:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i have no idea how common seeds of a giant tree are, but i guess they are extremely common, because all the sudden more than half of the pvp invasions i am doing have a host that can pop one immediately. i have found exactly one in my own game which i traded to picklepee for some pants, but i guess after the first one they start growing back more frequently? or does someone sell them and i just missed that?

also it looks like nobody is going to be sitting around embered with a boss unbeaten without also having at least 1 phantom summon. around SL80 i was able to start catching people on a NG+ lap who were working through road of sacrifice / chapel of the deep again, but within the last two days both of those places have filled up with fight clubs etc.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Vermain posted:

Buckler/Target still appear to be the easiest to parry with. There's no hard and fast data for it yet, but my experience has been that I can land sight parries more consistently with a Target Shield than with, say, the Sacred Bloom Shield.

The caestus has a nice super fast parry animation but there aren't many active frames. Also if you partial parry with it you instantly lose all your stamina and you're basically hosed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bows probably should just have unlimited arrows, at this point. I used a bow a shitload during my first run through the game, and I think I ran out of arrows (in my primary slot)... once? Having a limited number is just academic.

homeless poster posted:

i have no idea how common seeds of a giant tree are, but i guess they are extremely common, because all the sudden more than half of the pvp invasions i am doing have a host that can pop one immediately. i have found exactly one in my own game which i traded to picklepee for some pants, but i guess after the first one they start growing back more frequently? or does someone sell them and i just missed that?

A new Seed will spawn every time you defeat an invading dark spirit, meaning that they're either very good at luring idiots to their deaths, or (more likely) they used Cheatengine to hack themselves 99 of them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6XuyEoffMQU

After a dozen deaths against Gundyr I went Raiden on his rear end

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Vermain posted:

Bows probably should just have unlimited arrows, at this point. I used a bow a shitload during my first run through the game, and I think I ran out of arrows (in my primary slot)... once? Having a limited number is just academic.

500 souls per greatarrow 500 souls per greatarrow 500 souls per greatarrow :shepface:

Also the most expensive greatarrow is poo poo lmao

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So am I just not getting any Darkmoon/Farron hits because I'm on NG+2 and leveled pretty high (currently 140-ish I think?) or are those covenants just that hosed up still? I'm going to be really sad if the only way to get the platinum trophy in this game is hours upon hours of farming enemies for a 0.5% drop chance item over and over.

At least DS2 had it so that you could buy the covenant-only stuff from an NPC at NG+2 or later. This just sucks.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 26, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I think my most hated change in this game is that arrows max out at 99/99 for character/storage. I want my DS2 arrow stock back where I could buy a stack of 999 arrows on the cheap and it would last me ages.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Rokstar posted:

So am I just not getting any Darkmoon/Farron hits because I'm on NG+2 and leveled pretty high (currently 140-ish I think?) or are those covenants just that hosed up still? I'm going to be really sad if the only way to get the platinum trophy in this game is hours upon hours of farming enemies for a 0.5% drop chance item over and over.

NG+2 isn't an issue, but 140 is. Very few people are likely even past level 100, much less spending more than about 10 minutes in Farron Keep or having Way of Blue equipped.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Vermain posted:

NG+2 isn't an issue, but 140 is. Very few people are likely even past level 100, much less spending more than about 10 minutes in Farron Keep or having Way of Blue equipped.

*sigh*

Guess I'm starting over then.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

1. What are people's setups for PVP usage of both parry and weapon skills? I have the kite shield and a buckler but switching between them is cumbersome as all hell. What am I missing? Given the current "meta" of spamming R1 on thrusting weapons a parry shield is insanely useful but those skill moves are just so sweet!

2. I'm looking for a DEX replacement for my Pontiff Knight Curved Sword - I'm getting bored of it and it's really not cutting it in the pvp department. I'm looking for a weapon with horizontal swings so no estoc, rapier or any of that thrusting crap. Yes I'm well aware of the glory of the various uchikatanas but I'm looking for something less mainstream. I'm currently in the catacombs.

I should clarify: what I liked about the pontiff curved sword is its low stamina per attack, decent damage output and the insane reach (and eye-candy) of its special attack (and in pvp early on people had a noticeable WTF reaction every time I triggered it and started backing off a bit). Looking for something similar.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vermain posted:

Wait, you can invade as a Watchdog in Farron Keep? I thought it was only Road of Sacrifice.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbR7MYGPR6c

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Rokstar posted:

*sigh*

Guess I'm starting over then.

The ideal points for Farron invasions seem to be about level 20-40 or thereabouts, whereas Darkmoon/Sentinels tends to get hits in the 60-80 range just past Pontiff Sulyvahn. I honestly would not bother with Farron, as it seems to be the least active out of all of the covenants (or at least compared to Aldrich Faithful).

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
Is there any way I can still get the Barbed Straight Sword if I missed Kirk and already killed the deacons?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I can't shake the idea that Gundyr was designed in response to every comment ever made about the Dragonrider

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

WaltherFeng posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6XuyEoffMQU

After a dozen deaths against Gundyr I went Raiden on his rear end

after watching champion gundyr fight, and reading the item lore about how he was also an unkindled, it really made me wish that my character could fight as cool as gundyr does - shoulder slams and kicks and headbutts and charges and etc. even if those were moves you got to use only with his glaive, that would be so fuckin tight. i was imagining gundyr being the unkindled who actually got to fight something like NK or dancer or dragonslayer armor, and it seemed like that would be so much cooler to see than watching my puny undead roll roll roll stab roll roll sip roll roll stab

i mean clearly they put the animations in the game. why can't my guy fight like a badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Vermain posted:

The ideal points for Farron invasions seem to be about level 20-40 or thereabouts, whereas Darkmoon/Sentinels tends to get hits in the 60-80 range just past Pontiff Sulyvahn. I honestly would not bother with Farron, as it seems to be the least active out of all of the covenants (or at least compared to Aldrich Faithful).

I'm in the 130's and was getting summoned all the frickin time for Farron today whilst I was out in the Boreal valley.