Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

We've come full circle, people now think it's necessary to install memory cleaners on OSX. The end times are upon us, make peace with your gods now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Binary Badger posted:

Did you get a Fusion drive or all SSD?

Went with the Fusion drive, which has been quite alright so far, though I guess the final word will have to come later.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

If you buy a MacBook for $2000 you need punched in the face.

I remember that short time period where people used an iPad + keyboard to ssh into a VPS and then use vim. 'THIS IS ALL I NEED'

Welcome to Australia mate. Base MacBook is $2k, same with the rMBP

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I deleted it. Just trying to learn and make better choices.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TopherCStone posted:

Went with the Fusion drive, which has been quite alright so far, though I guess the final word will have to come later.

My fusion drive was great! Until it wasn't. But that took a little over three years. ( just in time for Apple care to expire)

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

If you check for updates with just the HDMI Multiport Adapter plugged in, there's supposed to be an update to the adapter firmware:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205858

Don't know if it will solve your power problem. Most people (Including Apple) only supply the bare minimum power on these USB-C hubs.

Any USB-C power passthrough hub, whether Apple or not, will draw power from the main 29W line to run the HDMI / USB / Ethernet ports, which is why the MacBook charges slower.

Yeah, forgot to mention that I already got that update. Didn't change anything, though.

Your remark about the macbook charging slower through the hub makes sense, I guess. Still makes me wonder, what change made external hard drives stop working :/

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
My new rmbp is on its way, so I'm trying to figure out how much I can sell my current one for on SAMart. Does $800 seem reasonable for a late-2013 13" rmbp? It works fine, no real cosmetic issues. I've seen these prices on eBay, but I don't feel like going through auctioning it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

yoyomama posted:

My new rmbp is on its way, so I'm trying to figure out how much I can sell my current one for on SAMart. Does $800 seem reasonable for a late-2013 13" rmbp? It works fine, no real cosmetic issues. I've seen these prices on eBay, but I don't feel like going through auctioning it.

Try Craigslist or Kijiji? Start high and let people 'haggle' you down to what you originally wanted. SAMart's annoying because you have to ship, you can get the same money in person without people wanting 'goon favours'...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I am having trouble deciding between the new rMB and the forthcoming rMBP. I just played with the new MB and went from hating the keyboard to really liking it.

All I usually have open is Word, Final Draft, a mail client (Boxy) and Safari with 3-7 tabs open. Anyone else have a similar set up and using a new MB? If it doesn't choke, I may as well use that and save myself some cash.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rear end Catchcum posted:

I am having trouble deciding between the new rMB and the forthcoming rMBP. I just played with the new MB and went from hating the keyboard to really liking it.

All I usually have open is Word, Final Draft, a mail client (Boxy) and Safari with 3-7 tabs open. Anyone else have a similar set up and using a new MB? If it doesn't choke, I may as well use that and save myself some cash.

It will do all of that with aplomb. You might as well enjoy the secondary benefits of your (computationally) light workload and go with the most portable thing. If you don't need Thunderbolt or a bigger screen, I'd jump at the rMB.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Pivo posted:

Try Craigslist or Kijiji? Start high and let people 'haggle' you down to what you originally wanted. SAMart's annoying because you have to ship, you can get the same money in person without people wanting 'goon favours'...

I would, but I don't consider that the safest option. I'd rather not do transactions in person with strangers for cash....
I may put it on eBay just cause it's easy, but I'd rather not pay fees.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

yoyomama posted:

I would, but I don't consider that the safest option. I'd rather not do transactions in person with strangers for cash....

Ehhhhhh... Where do you live? If you're in a condo, you can do it in the lobby in front of cameras and the concierge... If you're in a house, surely there's a Starbucks or something nearby you could meet, a mall maybe? gently caress, a gas station? It's really not dangerous if you take precautions. I mean personally I throw caution to the wind and meet people inside my apartment and share a few shots of vodka with them, but there are definitely safe ways to do it.

Something people do here in Toronto is they meet at police stations. The police encourage it. You really couldn't be in a better place for crime prevention than a room with a bunch of people with guns and tasers right?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Played with the macbook at best buy on lunch and fell in love. Space Grey is so sexy. Ordered a maxed out one and a herschel sleeve. the true hipster way.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Played with the macbook at best buy on lunch and fell in love. Space Grey is so sexy. Ordered a maxed out one and a herschel sleeve. the true hipster way.

Three days with mine and I still love it. Battery life is insane.

Now I need to find a decent messenger. That's gonna take forever.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

I like and use Trillian.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Arsten posted:

I like and use Trillian.

I forgot to add bag after messenger ;)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arsten posted:

I like and use Trillian.

This is something I haven't heard in like a decade

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

I forgot to add bag after messenger ;)

I like and use the Bag of Holding (they have cheaper versions).

Weedle posted:

This is something I haven't heard in like a decade

Because all the cool children use social media.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 27, 2016

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
Has anyone tried PS4 remote play using the new MacBook? I know it's not a hugely graphically intensive task at the laptops end, but I'm looking to upgrade my early 2011 13" uMBP to either the new Macbook, or a 13" rMBP once it's updated in a couple of months.

Just curious as to how well the current MacBook performs with the CPU throttling as my uMBP's fans spin up pretty hard.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

Even the 2015 one I'm using is fine for my daily coding. Driving my SA850 display at work with tonnes of Chome windows & tabs, IntelliJ, terminal work, compiling. This machine is incredible for it's power footprint.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

LmaoTheKid posted:

Now you guys are pissing me off. If I do no video editing, but have dumb browsing habits (open like 20 tabs at a time), do I have any need for the rMBP. Or should I get it for more ports/bigger screen? I THOUGHT I KNEW WHAT I WANTED.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

but have dumb browsing habits (open like 20 tabs at a time), do I have any need for the rMBP.

no

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

General feeling towards the MacBook refresh seem so different to how the original was received... I thought it was just a minor bump? All I remember from last time was moaning about the keyboard and the lack of ports.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Fair enough. It may just come down to screen size then. Thanks for confusing me for the 3rd time thread!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

General feeling towards the MacBook refresh seem so different to how the original was received... I thought it was just a minor bump? All I remember from last time was moaning about the keyboard and the lack of ports.

happens every time they do something daring.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
is there a noticeable difference between the m3, m5, and m7? or are they all merely ok for basic tasks and fail miserably at everything else?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Arsten posted:

Because all the cool children use social media.
LINE is kinda cool. I like logging into the desktop client scanning a QR Code with my phone.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

logikv9 posted:

is there a noticeable difference between the m3, m5, and m7? or are they all merely ok for basic tasks and fail miserably at everything else?

? Like three people in a row just said they are amazing at basic to medium needs, dude.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Oddly enough the only thing that makes the thing get warm is Facebook?

I just watched a fullscreen youtube video for ~20minutes and its cool to the touch.

E: like i offered before, i have brew installed and the M7 chip. If you want me to test compiling something just tell me the command(s) (not rm -rf, jackass)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I want to get some spare chargers for my new MacBook. And cables. Best to use official stuff? If not, what wattage should I be looking for?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

? Like three people in a row just said they are amazing at basic to medium needs, dude.

i can get that it works for the basic tasks, but then what would be the difference between the m3/m5/m7? just slightly better at basic tasks with each increment?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm thinking of picking up a refurb iPad for working with PDFs and reading comic books. Is there much of a difference between Air and Air 2?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

mediaphage posted:

happens every time they do something daring.

True, there was a similar turnaround on the Air but I felt that had a bigger bump between revisions. I guess people were just pissed the new and fancy thing wasn't aimed at them last year.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

logikv9 posted:

i can get that it works for the basic tasks, but then what would be the difference between the m3/m5/m7? just slightly better at basic tasks with each increment?

Ok. Sure, why not?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

True, there was a similar turnaround on the Air but I felt that had a bigger bump between revisions. I guess people were just pissed the new and fancy thing wasn't aimed at them last year.

I'm sure at some point i'll hit some kind of wall and I'm definitely in the NEW THING SHINY OOOOO phase. But I waited to see what the revision would be and it was an upgrade from a 2011 MBA. So all in all I'm quite happy with the upgrade so far. Portability for me is a big deal and I really don't have any crazy intensive workflows.

The keyboard, speaker, battery life, form factor, and screen are all very good IMO.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

logikv9 posted:

m3: 1.1GHz min / 2.2GHz max turbo
m5: 1.2GHz min / 2.7GHz max turbo
m7: 1.3GHz min / 3.1GHz max turbo

My summary: insignificant minimum frequency gains, substantial max turbo gains. Until someone tests the hell out of all three versions running intense workloads, who knows how much these things are going to throttle and not get a lot out of the max turbo.

Also it looks like Apple got Intel to make them slightly better spec parts than the m3/m5/m7 models sold to the rest of the market.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
I wonder how much of the performance we're getting out of these M-class chips is Apple optimizing the gently caress out of Darwin for low-power processors. I'm consistently impressed at the way OS X handles itself under load with this chip. Where Windows would poo poo the bed, OS X just has a minor, albeit perceptible, slowdown for a sec. Oddly enough, the only thing that caused heartache was watching a Frontline doc in Chrome, but I chalk that up to Flash being a piece of poo poo.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Housh posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a refurb iPad for working with PDFs and reading comic books. Is there much of a difference between Air and Air 2?

The Air 2 is slightly lighter but a decent bit faster than the Air. If they are roughly the same price, I'd grab the 2. ("Roughly" being used to describe a small price difference in your eyes.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Air 2 has twice the RAM. It will be usable much longer than the Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pryor on Fire posted:

We've come full circle, people now think it's necessary to install memory cleaners on OSX. The end times are upon us, make peace with your gods now.

https://github.com/ttvd/moreram-osx