Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I just say "Hi, could I take a photo of you?"

If they ask why (most don't) I say something like "I'm working on a series of portraits of people around this area."

You just have to appear confident and like you are supposed to be doing what you are doing. I'm not comfortable doing it and have to push myself every time.

Having an old TLR could help as it adds some novelty value but don't use that as an excuse. I have done this before with a DLSR and still had only positive responses.

People almost always say yes, I can only remember two people that have outright said "No"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
"I like your style, can I take your photo?"

Don't have to be confident, you just have to act like you are for a few seconds.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 20, 2016

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

iSheep posted:

"I like your style, can I take your photo?"

Don't have to be confident, you just have to act like you are for a few seconds.

This is basically what I'm planning on saying when I start working on a street portrait project this summer.

Dope photo, by the way.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've only done it with an old manual 35mm but I just say I'm working on a project and explain it if asked. More people say yes than say no, and the people who say no have all been polite. They usually cite that they're in a rush, or that they don't want to pose. I get the impression that some people just don't like having their photo taken (and this is whether they're stunningly gorgeous and photogenic or not) and I always just say, "That's no problem, thanks," and I smile.

My favourite street proposition is when I was walking somewhere, and a woman with a child, and another in a buggy kept seeming to turn right where I was going, for about five minutes. I kept getting surprised by this and started to build myself up to take their picture. Eventually I just asked the woman if she would mind if I took her photo. She asked why, and I said, "I just think you look really happy with your kids." And it was true, she looked like a woman bothered by a five year old struggling against her and ready to run into the traffic at every corner, but loving every minute of motherhood. The photo turned out total poo poo, but oh well. I'll just keep regretting it every time I think of it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I built a light octopus thing to take photos with. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm glad I built it.

I just wish I knew how to do some of the post processing that I see in this thread. Your portraits are incredible, Dorkroom.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I don't even know what to say.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Um, excuse me?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I overcooked the idea, didn't I?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
lmao that third one

Marvin Schwayze
Sep 25, 2015

Title Text
You have uses 58 of the 300 characters allowed.
Does focusing on the reflections make everything else soft?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Excuses don't make up for poor execution, but I don't have any backgrounds. The photos are stupidly soft because I was shooting at F/2.8 and flooding the backspace with light to hide the background. The light octopus (nonopus? It has 9 arms) is not very bright so I cant shoot outside with it like I normally would have. The first two actually use a ceiling diffuser from a fluorescent ceiling light as a backdrop with a 150W construction light shining through it.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 22, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

gently caress an octopus, I think you should shape the lights in a pentagram.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

deaders posted:

lmao that third one
in a good way from here

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The shape of the catch light looks gimmicky even before it could have a chance to become a fad. I'm sorry but even if the light you get from it is great, I would try to minimize that star in the eyes. It's simply distracting because it's the very first thing you notice. Like instead of the model or the product you just see a star and start wondering about why that star is there instead of a pupil. It might work for a very zany neon 80's theme though.

Try to shine the background light onto the background instead of through it, It doesn't have to be rgb 255*3 white, because you could fix that in post as long as you have a clearly defined subject. So don't do shallow dof, because having a model's nose out of focus is not great (as in the last photo) and also distracting, even if you do have her eyes in focus. Front facing close up portraits like that should have the facial features in focus and can have the hair and back of the head going out of focus if you are doing shallow dof.

I am quite drunk so I might only find out tomorrow if this si good advice or not

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 22, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Unposed shots of people taken with Soviet film cameras.

Bored by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Zenit-14.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Time out by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Friends by Iain Compton, on Flickr

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

KinkyJohn posted:

The shape of the catch light looks gimmicky even before it could have a chance to become a fad. I'm sorry but even if the light you get from it is great, I would try to minimize that star in the eyes. It's simply distracting because it's the very first thing you notice. Like instead of the model or the product you just see a star and start wondering about why that star is there instead of a pupil. It might work for a very zany neon 80's theme though.

Try to shine the background light onto the background instead of through it, It doesn't have to be rgb 255*3 white, because you could fix that in post as long as you have a clearly defined subject. So don't do shallow dof, because having a model's nose out of focus is not great (as in the last photo) and also distracting, even if you do have her eyes in focus. Front facing close up portraits like that should have the facial features in focus and can have the hair and back of the head going out of focus if you are doing shallow dof.

I am quite drunk so I might only find out tomorrow if this si good advice or not

Reads pretty well. Thanks for taking the time to spell it out for me. I can get a circular catch light out of it when I fix a circular disposable plastic table cloth to it. I guess that will become a permanent feature.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 23, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Reads pretty well. Thanks for taking the time to spell it out for me. I can get a circular catch light out of it when I fix a circular disposable plastic table cloth to it. I guess that will become a permanent feature.

Is it backed with a reflective material? You could basically make it into a kinoflo/octabox/ring flash hybrid which would be pretty neat and versatile. And possibly something worth selling to strobist idiots.

And I'm a huge fan of ring flashes.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 23, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The tablecloth acts like a forward diffuser. Otherwise the arms are still very visible. It's also not really bright enough. The entire rig uses 70W. It would probably be considered a focus light in most studios.

The lights are made up of two of these reels cut to size:

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-Flexible-Strip-Ribbon/dp/B00BH91W9G

Oh yea, the arms span over 6 feet.

I'm glad someone is taking mild interest in home made lighting. Even if it is just out of pure morbid curiosity.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Stitch them into the cheapest octabox you can find and sell it on shark tank. Ring light, and off camera octa (with a stand-friendly speedring) in one. And you won't lose as much light to spill. Peter Hurley sells essentially the same thing. E: gently caress that, I'm stealing this idea :v:

For thread content:

lights:

V Yeah, my third flash head died so I had to make due.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 23, 2016

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I like the lighting on the first one except the dark shadow on her face which looks super unflattering, and the top of her head melts into the background

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

red19fire posted:

Stitch them into the cheapest octabox you can find and sell it on shark tank. Ring light, and off camera octa (with a stand-friendly speedring) in one. And you won't lose as much light to spill. Peter Hurley sells essentially the same thing. E: gently caress that, I'm stealing this idea :v:

lights:

How do you like the 7ft umbrellas? I was thinking of getting a couple for my portraiture work.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

red19fire posted:

For thread content:

lights:

It's unfortunate because everything else looks good, except the middle shadow on the first one makes her look extremely cross eyed.

For the second one, I like everything except the florescents on the ceiling. To me I think it would make a cleaner concept to wipe them off the picture since it's all black up there anyway.

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
NonSequar got me this account for no damned reason.

Captain by Narmmm, on Flickr

I'm never going to get used to how badly Flickr fucks up photos.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Marman1209 posted:

Captain by Narmmm, on Flickr

I'm never going to get used to how badly Flickr fucks up photos.

What does it do to photos? I haven't looked into how photos change when I upload them but now I'm really interested

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I usually have issues with it applying an embarrassing level of sharpening and crushing the poo poo out of the blacks.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Here I used a couple of LED lights to shape shadows on the model's face.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

maxmars posted:

Here I used a couple of LED lights to shape shadows on the model's face.

The lighting looks ok, but the colors look straight out of willy wonka.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

vxsarin posted:

The lighting looks ok, but the colors look straight out of willy wonka.

Yes, they do!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

maxmars posted:

Yes, they do!

What I mean is, why does she look like an oompa loompa?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
The willy wonka effect is worsened by the fact she looks about halfway through a transformation into a human lemon

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I get it, you don't like it. It's fine. You'll hate the stuff from my june shooting then.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like it, maybe the yellow just needs to be a little less on the radioactive side ?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

unpacked robinhood posted:

I like it, maybe the yellow just needs to be a little less on the radioactive side ?

No, not really. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked for that make up or set the lights the way I did.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

maxmars posted:

No, not really. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked for that make up or set the lights the way I did.

I'll start by saying I really dig the tone of the photo, the pose, the setting, and composition. That said, I'd like to question the decision to yellow the face so much. Her arms look fine so it's not that the color balance on the photo is off, but it's unsettling that her face doesn't match the skin tone on her arms. It looks a bit too try-hard for a weird concept that detracts from everything else you've got going on.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'll start by saying I really dig the tone of the photo, the pose, the setting, and composition. That said, I'd like to question the decision to yellow the face so much. Her arms look fine so it's not that the color balance on the photo is off, but it's unsettling that her face doesn't match the skin tone on her arms. It looks a bit too try-hard for a weird concept that detracts from everything else you've got going on.

Yes I agree that she should have the same make up applied to the arms / hands for a more uniform look. I wanted a clown-ish appearance (the clothing, the make up and the rest). As for being too try-hard for a weird concept.. I respect that opinion but that's what I wanted to shoot and it will continue with the next shootings.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It's hard to tell from a 639 pixel image, but there don't appear to really be any shadows to shape? I guess you got what you wanted, but what you wanted was a lemon (bad).

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

365 Nog Hogger posted:

It's hard to tell from a 639 pixel image, but there don't appear to really be any shadows to shape? I guess you got what you wanted, but what you wanted was a lemon (bad).

You made that comment in order to use that pun, didn't you? Fine :) But the shadows on her face and her shirt are pretty evident.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
just because it was intentional doesn't make it a good idea

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Matt Keller April 2016 by David Shen, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

maxmars posted:

Yes I agree that she should have the same make up applied to the arms / hands for a more uniform look. I wanted a clown-ish appearance (the clothing, the make up and the rest). As for being too try-hard for a weird concept.. I respect that opinion but that's what I wanted to shoot and it will continue with the next shootings.

What's clownish about her clothing? Apart from the bowler hat and a tiny bow-tie, she's dressed fairly casually. The cello and the rape flowers completely overpower her in that scene. In fact the main point of contrast where your eye is naturally drawn is basically her crotch because there's a bunch of clashing colours with the flowers, her trousers and the cello in that space. Her face is well out of the main focal area and your eye is not really led there by anything.