Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

stephen a talking to himself on split screen and getting more and more irate

I'd uhhh...If I was drunk enough I may actually watch that for at least 15 to 20 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Maybe ESPN bleeding talent will cause them to turn away from hot take machines and towards actual analysis since it won't cost nearly as much to operahahahaha who am I kidding

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spoeank posted:

Maybe ESPN bleeding talent will cause them to turn away from hot take machines and towards actual analysis since it won't cost nearly as much to operahahahaha who am I kidding
Pretty sure the main reason they are bleeding talent is budget cuts.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spoeank posted:

Bayless is at least a talented troll, you could find the next Cowherd doing local AM radio in any shithole you decided to look; it blows my mind that Fox put down honest to God money to get him. He was just a name on a time slot you idiots!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I watched First Take a few times when I was preparing to go in for some Scary Medical Tests because it was impossible to not be "what the gently caress did that idiot just say?" constantly and it was a nice distraction.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spoeank posted:

Is there any evidence that people actually want that in any significant numbers? Because remember

zakharov posted:

Your Twitter feed is not the world.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

Is Dixie Carter running Fox Sports 1 now?

FS1 hasn't come close to being sold to Nazis yet.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

MourningView posted:

Is there any evidence that people actually want that in any significant numbers? Because remember

There isn't, because ratings say the hot take machines are what people want.

They're just lowest common denominator garbage and they bring nothing of value to the table with regards to the discourse.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ayn rand hand job posted:

FS1 hasn't come close to being sold to Nazis yet.

We'll know for sure when Jeff Jarrett gets his own show

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

R.D. Mangles posted:

stephen a talking to himself on split screen and getting more and more irate

Poach Katie Nolan to cohost and give her a 12 pack before each show.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Honestly I'm surprised ESPN hasn't courted Katie Nolan yet, or vice versa. Even a random ESPNEWS show at midnight would probably do better ratings than what she's getting at FS1.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Benne posted:

Honestly I'm surprised ESPN hasn't courted Katie Nolan yet, or vice versa. Even a random ESPNEWS show at midnight would probably do better ratings than what she's getting at FS1.

Right before he got fired Simmons tried to do that, Garbage Time was the result.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

There was talk a year or so ago of FS and ESPN discussing a talent trade of sorts, and I believe Ian Darke and Katie Nolan were both involved. It was really strange.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of Ian Darke, I wonder what he's going to do after Euro 2016. ESPN won't have the World Cup or Euros for at least a decade, and given how penny-pinching they've become I don't imagine they'll want to pay Darke to cover like 2 USMNT games a year.

Would he stay at ESPN, follow the World Cup to Fox, move to NBC and get in a literal duel with Arlo White for the top EPL game every week, or just go back to the UK?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Speaking of Ian Darke, I wonder what he's going to do after Euro 2016. ESPN won't have the World Cup or Euros for at least a decade, and given how penny-pinching they've become I don't imagine they'll want to pay Darke to cover like 2 USMNT games a year.

Would he stay at ESPN, follow the World Cup to Fox, move to NBC and get in a literal duel with Arlo White for the top EPL game every week, or just go back to the UK?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him head to Fox. After the mess of the Gus Johnson experiment, he'd be a really good acquisition for them.

Here's the report on the trade that wasn't between FS and ESPN, weird poo poo

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
this thread seems to be concerned with the Big Guys, but I'm looking for a good sports podcast. I'm listening to Bill Simmons' Podcast right now because he rules but he talks a poo poo ton about non-sports stuff. Gimme the sports.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

modestmusashi posted:

this thread seems to be concerned with the Big Guys, but I'm looking for a good sports podcast. I'm listening to Bill Simmons' Podcast right now because he rules but he talks a poo poo ton about non-sports stuff. Gimme the sports.

Pretty football centric, but Move the Sticks is some good stuff from a scouting perspective; the run-up to the draft has gotten a bit repetitive, but c'est la vie. I also hear good things about Around the NFL.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure the main reason they are bleeding talent is budget cuts.

This is precisely it. Skipper is under a mandate to cut almost $400 million in costs by next year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If you make a lot of money at ESPN and are an on-air talent, they are probably not renewing your contract.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you make a lot of money at ESPN and are an on-air talent, they are probably not renewing your contract.

I think SAS is still their higest paid guy by a wide margin. Be interesting to see if he's shipped off too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

I think SAS is still their higest paid guy by a wide margin. Be interesting to see if he's shipped off too.

Last I read, Gruden makes something like $6 or $7 million a year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Make a version of PTI with Katie Nolan and Michelle Beadle and call it Rag Time.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

DJExile posted:

Given the things Smith has said and done you have to wonder why ESPN hasn't pulled that trigger yet.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not really that. They're cutting on the producers and staff for the high profile talent in order to retain the talent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's not really that. They're cutting on the producers and staff for the high profile talent in order to retain the talent.
But the talent is still leaving? I mean in a year they have lost Olbermann, Cowherd, Simmons, Bayless, and Tirico. Simmons and Tirico were cornerstones of the network.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

But the talent is still leaving? I mean in a year they have lost Olbermann, Cowherd, Simmons, Bayless, and Tirico. Simmons and Tirico were cornerstones of the network.

You aren't wrong, but Olbermann never saw a bridge he didn't want to torch and Simmons basically kept daring ESPN to fire him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

You aren't wrong, but Olbermann never saw a bridge he didn't want to torch and Simmons basically kept daring ESPN to fire him.

Beyond that, Simmons openly hated John Skipper, and he was running a vanity project that was getting no viewership and therefore no ad revenue.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes because ESPN lacks foresight. They're hedging on the brand and individuals being powerful enough to overcome the production losses except the production losses are seemingly giving everyone a fresh excuse to leave because they're essentially starting from ground zero anyway with new staff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They have like 20 dudes on payroll they could replace Tirico with without anyone noticing after like 3 weeks

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was hoping Nessler would get the MNF gig but he's replacing Verne I guess.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MourningView posted:

They have like 20 dudes on payroll they could replace Tirico with without anyone noticing after like 3 weeks

Seriously, Tirico is a pretty awful announcer and has been for like 15 years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

I was hoping Nessler would get the MNF gig but he's replacing Verne I guess.

I think I read the favorite is sean mcdonough, which I object to only because I think he's the best football play by play guy currently working anywhere and I'd much rather have him calling college games. Beyond that I have a hard time believing it's a change that is going to upset that many people.

Gruden is the star of the MNF booth anyway, even though his appeal is completely lost on me.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 28, 2016

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

MourningView posted:

Gruden is the star of the MNF booth anyway, even though his appeal is completely lost on me.

Have you never heard of a Gruden Grinder?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MourningView posted:

I think I read the favorite is sean mcdonough, which I object to only because I think he's the best football play by play guy currently working anywhere and I'd much rather have him calling college games. Beyond that I have a hard time believing it's a change that is going to upset that many people.

He is wacky and being a former coach has just enough knowledge to trick you into thinking what he says has any meaning. It's not hard.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gruden is one of the few NFL announcers who sounds like he actually enjoys watching football. Nearly everyone else working today is so humorless or self-serious about THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, that Gruden's wide-eyed, knee-slapping "AIN'T THAT THE CRAZIEST PLAY" is almost a breath of fresh air.

In this thread making fun of hot takes, I'll make a take of my own: Jon Gruden is the Madden successor we've been waiting for.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also I'm going to miss Tirico openly making GBS threads on a bad game while Eternal Optimist Gruden sheepishly admits "well, these guys probably won't enjoy watching the tape."

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Were they planning on letting Cowherd go before he called Dominicans dumb or was that just a convenient way to look tough and not pay him?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Schremp Howard posted:

Were they planning on letting Cowherd go before he called Dominicans dumb or was that just a convenient way to look tough and not pay him?

He'd already given notice that he was leaving when his contract was up so it was a good way to look like they gave a poo poo without actually losing anything

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I didn't think Tirico was great or anything but I think you guys are underestimating how bad some of the other PbP folks are out there. He was boring but competent in multiple sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought Tirico was decent when he did the NBA.