Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

oh look, another one...
how many times will these lambs rush to slaughter???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Well this jailer is just cheating :mad:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Really Fat Tarkus

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cyberventurer posted:

I don't know about giving the game an easy mode, but I'm replaying through it and it does seem like the latter half of the game's enemy damage is a bit out of whack in places. I don't know how much armor I'm supposed to be wearing for this to not happen, but in full Thorns armor, 27 vigor, rings of favor and life, some bosses' heavier attacks are routinely lopping off 3/4ths or more of my total life bar for a single dodging mistake. I think it'd be a little better if some of that stuff was toned down just a bit, and then maybe slash the amount of estus you get throughout the game because I feel like one was enabling the other.

I just respecced one of my characters from like 27 vig and base vit to 45 vig and mid-20s vit and the difference in survivability is extremely noticable. I am using the stoneplate ring, but I'm also running below 30% equip load so my armour isn't great (I'm using full Shadow + bandit chest)

Wildtortilla posted:

Invading is pointless and not fun in this game. An endless sea of gank squads.

Mostly I would just like to see other players' animations, I just had about 10 invasions in a row where the host and all phantoms were gliding around being assholes. I actually managed to beat a couple which was fun but I wanted to practice my parries :(

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 27, 2016

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

Mostly I would just like to see other players' animations, I just had about 10 invasions in a row where the host and all phantoms were gliding around being assholes. I actually managed to beat a couple which was fun but I wanted to practice my parries :(

Me and a friend were summoning each other and every single time we showed up as sliding from each other's perspectives (and our connection to each other isn't bad or laggy or anything). We then both restarted our games and it started working again but ehh, I don't know what's goin on really

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Well this jailer is just cheating :mad:

the lighting makes you look like a cheap knockoff link from legend of zelda

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Harrow posted:

In theory.

Hey harrow I finally got some summons to farron watchdog. I made a new character and had to run straight there and not upgrade any weapons past 2. I'm using a black knight greataxe I gave to myself through a third party, unupgraded. I am dying a lot because I can only swing it twice.

Literally can't get a blue summon though. Get a farron one every 3 minutes.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Just had my first proper 1v1 invasion in DS3 by a greatsword wielder, with me as a plebian longsword spammer (as my traditional build demands). He was good at avoiding the stunlocks and getting some hits in. His one parry would have one shotted me from max health if I had one less level in vigor. The longsword stunlocks definitely carried it for me though, after I remembered how to strong attack.

Any other Souls game and I would have been rectally annihilated 30 seconds in by some havel's + ring rear end in a top hat. The dude traded short range dps, for range and high alpha damage which nearly killed me, which is fair in my flawless opinion.

e; What's the PC control key to switch between your chosen arrows/bolts? Shift key is only temporary I believe.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 27, 2016

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been watching videos of this build for a while and what do they do when someone kicks them? All of the videos conveniently never show it happening.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

you gotta kick them like three friggin times for anything to happen

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Shakill OReal posted:

I've been watching videos of this build for a while and what do they do when someone kicks them? All of the videos conveniently never show it happening.

Did you not watch the video? Check out 1:45, poo poo don't work.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Am I missing something, or is the game really bad about indicating to the player that a big enemy is stunned and can be hit with a riposte (or whatever you fall the fake-visceral attack)? Bloodborne gave an excellent audio queue and the animations made it really clear as well, but here it seems like arbitrary and stupid.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

argondamn posted:

Did you not watch the video? Check out 1:45, poo poo don't work.

I don't know how I missed that, but dang!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On second thought, maybe I don't want Profaned Flame anyway.

"Hey, I know! Let's make the rats respawn! That'll be fun! It'll be such an interesting challenge to dodge the giant's stomps while constantly staggered by an endless swarm of rats."

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
where the hell do I find refined gem's? Everything I've read has said to farm lothric knights so I spent like 45 minutes killing the 3 (2+1 red eye) near the Lothric Castle bonfire and haven't gotten a single drop.

Sadly I only found one much earlier in the game and used it on my starting weapon. What's a quality build duder to do with his Lothric Knight Sword +8? :(

Maybe I should use a different gem? I'm at like 26 Str 22 Dex now. Should I keep farming for Refined?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

"Hey, I know! Let's make the rats respawn! That'll be fun! It'll be such an interesting challenge to dodge the giant's stomps while constantly staggered by an endless swarm of rats."

They aren't endless.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So is Link The First Flame the trigger to start NG+?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I was killed by a baby one of these right before the game came out in English. :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HaB posted:

No, you get to choose when to go to NG+ as in Dark Souls 2.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Shakill OReal posted:

beaten, but this very video you quoted shows it happening, right here, and the kicker actually loses more stamina than the person holding the havel's, who loses a totally insignificant amount and will basically never get guardbroken.

also all attacks I've seen that pierce shields are slow enough that they're easily punishable by the shielddude(running attack with havel's is actually really fast).

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

that section is annoying but you can cheese killing the giant by using pyromancy/bow and arrow at the iron gate door or at the shortcut from the profaned capital. he can't reach you from either area

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

beaten, but this very video you quoted shows it happening, right here, and the kicker actually loses more stamina than the person holding the havel's, who loses a totally insignificant amount and will basically never get guardbroken.

also all attacks I've seen that pierce shields are slow enough that they're easily punishable by the shielddude(running attack with havel's is actually really fast).

I just had to look up that Havel's set is in the game. The conditions for finding that armor are so loving dumb, holy poo poo are you kidding me?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HaB posted:

No. It'll ask you after the credits.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
You can summon more tha two white/sunbro phantoms!? :stare: What magic is this! This isn't a Souls game!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

Why don't you just kill the giant first?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Harrow posted:

Eventually they cease spawning, though it may not be apparent because they show up in waves.

I seem to be having technical issues. For whatever reason I seem to be unable to use R2-based skill attacks, such as Stomp's and Spin Slash's continued effect/the upward slash with straight sword and greatsword Stance/the flurry of blows with thrusting sword Stance. What might be causing this? I suspect it may be my controller and/or the accompanying settings, but I'm not certain what to change. R2 on its own or with a leap (that is, run + R2) works fine, for the record. I'm currently using a Logitech F310 on XInput Mode with x360ce/64-bit. (I also own a Logitech Dual Action should that make a difference.)

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

School Nickname posted:

You can summon more tha two white/sunbro phantoms!? :stare: What magic is this! This isn't a Souls game!

Pfft, if that was the case Dark Souls 2 wouldn't be a souls game

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hey gang. Tried googling and couldn't find a definite solution. Has anyone experienced an issue where navigating the equipment inventory and other menus resets the ambient track? It keeps happening when I'm checking item descriptions and it's very jarring. Sound drivers are up to date.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 27, 2016

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

where the hell do I find refined gem's? Everything I've read has said to farm lothric knights so I spent like 45 minutes killing the 3 (2+1 red eye) near the Lothric Castle bonfire and haven't gotten a single drop.

Sadly I only found one much earlier in the game and used it on my starting weapon. What's a quality build duder to do with his Lothric Knight Sword +8? :(

Maybe I should use a different gem? I'm at like 26 Str 22 Dex now. Should I keep farming for Refined?

can anyone help me out on this? :cry:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

NGDBSS posted:

I seem to be having technical issues. For whatever reason I seem to be unable to use R2-based skill attacks, such as Stomp's and Spin Slash's continued effect/the upward slash with straight sword and greatsword Stance/the flurry of blows with thrusting sword Stance. What might be causing this? I suspect it may be my controller and/or the accompanying settings, but I'm not certain what to change. R2 on its own or with a leap (that is, run + R2) works fine, for the record. I'm currently using a Logitech F310 on XInput Mode with x360ce/64-bit. (I also own a Logitech Dual Action should that make a difference.)

You need either an offhand that allows you to use weapon skills in your main hand, or you need to two-hand the weapon you want to art around with. Hold L2 and then perform your attacks with R1/R2. Some weapon skills take more than one attunement slot, I believe.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I found a hidden path early in the Aldrich area with two alligators in a basement. I can't seem to just aggro one even though they're well separated and they hit like a truck. Any ideas? I hear their ring is really good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you leave the little boxed-in area where the ladder is, they both automatically aggro on you. Try pegging one with an arrow from the far opposite corner of that area and bringing it to you.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Harrow posted:

I have good(?) news for you. Profaned Flame is nowhere close to the Greatness of Flame Swathe or Lingering Flame in DS2. Profaned Flame sucks.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

RedTonic posted:

You need either an offhand that allows you to use weapon skills in your main hand, or you need to two-hand the weapon you want to art around with. Hold L2 and then perform your attacks with R1/R2. Some weapon skills take more than one attunement slot, I believe.
That's not the issue. Like I said, I seem to be unable to use R2-based skill attacks specifically - R1-based skill attacks such as the straight sword Stance shieldbreaker work just fine!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

So I found a hidden path early in the Aldrich area with two alligators in a basement. I can't seem to just aggro one even though they're well separated and they hit like a truck. Any ideas? I hear their ring is really good.

You'll need extra long distance ranged weapons, like a bow with Feather Arrows

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Couldn't you just lure both rat dogs to the ladder, then spam boulder heave from the top to kill them? I didn't try it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

Hey gang. Tried googling and couldn't find a definite solution. Has anyone experienced an issue where navigating the equipment inventory and other menus resets the ambient track? It keeps happening when I'm checking item descriptions and it's very jarring. Sound drivers are up to date.

Its not your drivers. It happened to me all the time at launch, haven't noticed it lately.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Internet Kraken posted:

Couldn't you just lure both rat dogs to the ladder, then spam boulder heave from the top to kill them? I didn't try it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I didn't get Boulder heave as I'm a knight and wanted the other thing which I think was FUGS?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

codo27 posted:

Its not your drivers. It happened to me all the time at launch, haven't noticed it lately.

I got the game yesterday on Steam and only started playing tonight. I hope it goes away after the starting area or something cause it's bugging the crap out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

NGDBSS posted:

That's not the issue. Like I said, I seem to be unable to use R2-based skill attacks specifically - R1-based skill attacks such as the straight sword Stance shieldbreaker work just fine!

Ah, I misread, my bad. If you've got sufficient FP to do the R2 version, then yeah, sounds like your controller is hosed up somehow.